PDA

View Full Version : Will we get to play as Xel'Naga... ever?

Praetor_Ixab
05-24-2009, 11:58 AM
So I'm wondering, since Blizzard decided (and rightly so, IMO) that the addition of a 4th race would make the game virtually impossible to balance and therefor too similar to WC3, will there ever be playable Xel'Naga or even hybrid units in the game, or even in future games?

Obviously, they wouldn't be available in multiplayer, but in campaign and UMS maps (and since the map editor can do everything and anything short of curing cancer) it would stand to reason that getting a few Xel'Naga units in the beginning of a mission is a distinct possibility, as well as maybe having to kill some of the hybrids. Maybe they are hero units in the first game, like the DTs were before Brood War.

I think it would make for some killer cliffhangers. Think about it: Jim Raynor is battling the Dominion or some outpost planet at the end of WoL, and from out of nowhere, in the middle of the battle, comes this monstrosity. Combined Dominion and RR fire brings it down.... and WoL ends. Creepy, no? And Kerrigan may not even know about it yet, so we won't know what happened right away! Then, there is the possibility during LotV that Zeratul comes across the Xel'Naga themselves, and a Xel'Naga hero or two steps in to help him find artifacts and stop the hybrids and/or Kerrigan. The storyline is just brimming with possibilities.

BAsically, I'm jsut wondering and leaving it open to discusssion, do you think we'll just see a 4th (and possibly 5th), or will there be any direct control over them in any capacity?

Dread_Reaper
05-24-2009, 12:04 PM
My guess would be that the Xel'Naga will make appearances in the single player campaign, but I do doubt that we will have any direct control over them. I imagine we will fight and kill them, but likely not play AS them.

However, the exception I do see is that if a Xel'Naga hero joins us or something, giving you control over a single guy and maybe a handful of his troops. I doubt we will do any building, teching, etc, with them, but rather just have a few to work with in a mission.

To be honest though, I like that the Xel'Naga are these mysterious, shadowy beings. To include them so obviously in the game would undercut their menace and ultimately rob the scenario of its gravitas.

-Dread_Reaper

Sheliek
05-24-2009, 12:05 PM
We'll definitely be seeing the Hybrids, there's no question about that. The Xel'Naga is also a likely possibility.

Controlling them is another thing entirely; we might see them, and we may even ally with the Xel'Naga, but that doesn't imply control. For all we know, we may have the computer play as an allied Xel'Naga force, as opposed to us playing them directly.

This doesn't rule out mini-campaigns. In Heart of the Swarm, for example, there may be a Duran mini-campaign, showing the first birth of a Hybrid. And in Legacy of the Void, Zeratul may encounter an old Xel'Naga temple, and in doing so, trigger a mini-campaign showing the Xel'Naga either creating and being destroyed by the Zerg, or their contact with the early Protoss.

Crazy_Jonny
05-24-2009, 12:25 PM
I always pictures the XelNaga as god like entities, bigger than life. I cant picture us controlling them. The hybrids however, most likely.

SCdude
05-24-2009, 12:36 PM
As long as there will be ingame models for Xel'Naga units and buildings, we will be able to control them in UMS maps. However, i do not think that we will be able to do so in singleplayer (and ofcourse not in mulitplayer).

Perfecttear
05-24-2009, 01:22 PM
I always pictures the XelNaga as god like entities, bigger than life. I cant picture us controlling them. The hybrids however, most likely.

This is a nice XElNaga concept:

http://th07.deviantart.com/fs34/300W/f/2008/292/0/3/Xel_Naga_WIP_2_by_dogparry.jpg

Xel Naga WIP 2 by ~dogparry

DemolitionSquid
05-24-2009, 01:30 PM
Are those cannon or fan made? They look nothing like the carved faces we've seen in the cinematics.

unentschieden
05-24-2009, 01:50 PM
Are those cannon or fan made? They look nothing like the carved faces we've seen in the cinematics.

Itīs Perfecttear, do you need to ask? More importantly itīs a completely foreign style to "normal" Blizzard stuff. There is a certain homogenity in the art team which was a slight issue early on when comming from WoW.

Aldrius
05-24-2009, 03:09 PM
I always pictures the XelNaga as god like entities, bigger than life.

Then how did the Zerg kill them...?

mr. peasant
05-24-2009, 03:14 PM

Greater numbers, the element of surprise and because there are more measure of 'superiority' than just military might.

Norfindel
05-24-2009, 03:26 PM
Maybe in single player, but i still doubt we would be able to play as the Xel'Naga. Unless the Xel'Naga are here to help, which seeing how everyone thinks they're here to destroy, is a very good possibility.

XElNaga concept:

http://th07.deviantart.com/fs34/300W/f/2008/292/0/3/Xel_Naga_WIP_2_by_dogparry.jpg

http://th01.deviantart.com/fs37/300W/f/2008/279/1/4/Xel_Naga_Guardian_WIP_by_dogparry.jpg

That's a guy with armor and a mask. It even has 5 fingers.
If someone designed that to be the Xel'Naga, he has the imagination of a piece of coal.

Praetor_Ixab
05-24-2009, 03:45 PM
I figure the Xel'Naga to be playable as the dark templar were playable in SC. You get a handful at the beginning of each mission, and if you lose them... well, you are SOL. The hybrids I can't see being controllable in any way because the hybrids don't have that history and mythology behind them yet. It wouldn't make sense from a lore standpoint.

I like the idea of the hybrids and Xel'Naga showing up in the mini-campaigns and giving more history and whatnot. Should be a great storyline.

And yeah, UMS/map editor and single player is the only time we'll ever see them.

Aldrius
05-24-2009, 04:00 PM
Greater numbers, the element of surprise and because there are more measure of 'superiority' than just military might.

Maybe, but if they're giant energy creatures, you'd think they'd be able to escape.

Perfecttear
05-24-2009, 04:01 PM
That's a guy with armor and a mask. It even has 5 fingers.
If someone designed that to be the Xel'Naga, he has the imagination of a piece of coal.
No need to be rude, i think this is a great picture and the artist has put alot of work and effort into it.

Back to topic

I would really love if there would be a fourth part of sc2, and it would be the xelnaga campaign,and the end of the campaign there would be a cliffhanger, that would make you want SC3 even more.

Praetor_Ixab
05-24-2009, 05:32 PM
No need to be rude, i think this is a great picture and the artist has put alot of work and effort into it.

Back to topic

I would really love if there would be a fourth part of sc2, and it would be the xelnaga campaign,and the end of the campaign there would be a cliffhanger, that would make you want SC3 even more.

if only we lived in a perfect world, perfecttear, if only...

MattII
05-24-2009, 05:51 PM
I figure we'll get them as either heroes (like DT/civilians/etc.) or critters, if we get them at all.

Phoenix_Haze
05-24-2009, 06:01 PM
the Xel`Naga and the Hybrids interaction in game can go so many ways it's not really worth it to rack your brains over it

as far as the xel`naga from what i remember they were a race of scientists/researchers/explorers with limited military who were attacked by both the protoss (can't remember why they did) and the zerg they said some of the xel`naga managed to ecscape the zerg massacre the xel`naga were caught off gaurd but even if they hadn't they probably still wouldn't have been able to do much except raise their shields

so if the xel`naga do play any part in the game it's not gonna militaristic unless the xel`naga have undergone a racewide personality change i do know they had psionics though because they had a psionic link with the overmind which was severed by the overmind right before the attack

the hybrids it's hard to tell which way they'll go enemy ally or neutral It's the purity of protoss form meets the purity of zerg essence so i'm guessing something resembling a protoss but has the ability to constantly evolve through mutation becoming more and more powerful so like a protoss with zerg carapace and talons and so on

there's also the possibly of there being varieties of hybrids as well the ones where they're perfect and the flawed hybrids who would probly more like a zerg infested protoss and kerrigan could control them or something

as i said too many possibilities best not to fry your brain trying to think of what's coming

The_Blade
05-24-2009, 06:41 PM
Xel'naga not likely, there's even the possibility that we wont even see them but rather a shadow. (duran, hybrids, etc)

I think of the Xel'naga as a reduced amount of entities with the "Xel'naga steriotype" the others live in a colosal planet with their army and multiple platforms and several artificial moons.

Then the cientific Xel'naga where killed by zerg, (infested them for knowledge and power) and protoss (the xel'naga told them they were leaving and came back to see the caos)

Its hard to imagine controling them even a renegate. (their pets are colosal energy entities that hatch out of temples and artifacts; Becken Roo)

Hybrids neither XD

Kimera757
05-24-2009, 07:47 PM
Maybe, but if they're giant energy creatures, you'd think they'd be able to escape.

Not likely.

The Overmind assimilated many xel'naga into itself, it would be difficult to do so if the xel'naga were energy creatures.

Phoenix_Haze
05-24-2009, 08:27 PM
ya i don't see how you get DNA from an energy creature

blizzard needs to come out with a new book which contains all the lore, stories, origin stories and previous books all in one book it would make sorting all this stuff out much easier

Kimera757
05-24-2009, 08:34 PM
I like to call that book the StarCraft II manual.

What? That's just what I'm hoping. You can get all that lore from some places, though.

Norfindel
05-24-2009, 08:45 PM

Back to topic

That means someone really thinked the Xel'Naga looked like that? Wow! i thinked that you just got a random sci-fi picture and posted it.
I agree in that the picture is great, but i wouldn't ever imagine the Xel'Naga like that. They're anatomically too much like us. The Protoss are very similar, but still have their differences. More than that would make it quite unbelievable.

Wayward Meteor
05-24-2009, 08:45 PM
I've never played Warcraft 3 much but you never play as the Burning Legion, right? Don't they have huge demon creatures and whatever that are only in the story mode? The Xel'Naga could work like that.

That screenshot looks like Protoss meets Tron.

Crazy_Jonny
05-24-2009, 09:10 PM

Sorry, I should be honest. I dont read any of the novels, so I didnt know the Zerg killed the Xel Naga.

starcraftguy13
05-24-2009, 09:55 PM
Has anyone ever thought that the Xel'Naga may not have a form at all?, but rather tey are wipsers of moving light or made up of smaller creatures or beings, even though the subject of the Xel'Naga being on WoL is up to debate, I seriously do think the Hybrids/Energy Creatures will be on WoL or the latter two games

MattII
05-24-2009, 10:21 PM
Unlikely, they had ships as of their being overrun by the Zerg, so it's hard to see how they could have gone from physical to energy in such a short time.

Praetor_Ixab
05-24-2009, 11:52 PM
Sorry, I should be honest. I dont read any of the novels, so I didnt know the Zerg killed the Xel Naga.

the story of the Zerg and Xel'naga is in the SC1 manual. i take it you didn't read that either?

anyways, this is starting to get a little off-topic. if you want to debate what the Xel'naga form is like, start anew thread. this thread's purpose to to debate whether the Xel'naga or even the hybrids will be controllable or playable at all during the event of the Trilogy. obviously, they'll be available in the map editor if they are units in the campaign, the thousands of QA batches that ask "can the map editor do so-and-so" have already established that. but for the single player campaign, if they do in fact have corporeal forms represented by a unit, will they be playable in any way?

warrior
05-25-2009, 11:35 AM
3 races are good enough.

But, i think it's possible an expansion bringing Xel' Naga.

Aldrius
05-25-2009, 01:07 PM
the story of the Zerg and Xel'naga is in the SC1 manual. i take it you didn't read that either?

anyways, this is starting to get a little off-topic. if you want to debate what the Xel'naga form is like, start anew thread. this thread's purpose to to debate whether the Xel'naga or even the hybrids will be controllable or playable at all during the event of the Trilogy. obviously, they'll be available in the map editor if they are units in the campaign, the thousands of QA batches that ask "can the map editor do so-and-so" have already established that. but for the single player campaign, if they do in fact have corporeal forms represented by a unit, will they be playable in any way?

I doubt they will be playable in the single-player campaign. But it's hard to say with what little information we have about them.

Triceron
05-25-2009, 01:31 PM
I don't know why people want to play the Xel'Naga. They were ancient scientists. Who wants to play scientists?

I'm assuming the threat of the Xel'Naga would be some creation they made during their absence.

The_Blade
05-25-2009, 01:44 PM
ya a little off topic, but look at all of the treads they all get slightly off topic now this is offtopic

OFFTOPIC ALERT !!!! <<<< read on your own risk >>>>

Still not expecting them on WoL story line, rather see a cinematic where raynor and a protoss small force is fighting the dominion because megsk trapped "nocked out" kerrigan (caused by a horrifing psionic shockwave). Untill they realize the sky is not blue anymore... and that something colosal is blocking the sun... the only light provided is a neon blue that origins from several points from this object... The cinematic ends with a blinding light that desends from this points...

then heart of the swarm starts with kerrigan fleing a destroyed city and the fact that she cant remember anything. probided with suport from several zerg/xenomorphs she must scape the auto-systems and then the city to find a way out of the planet before time runs out...

The status of Raynor and the protoss as well as Megsk is unknown.

Praetor_Ixab
05-25-2009, 11:27 PM
wow those are some pretty specific predictions, considering we know next to nothing about the single player campaign. i'm going ot assume that you're making all that up, because there's no way you know that on any sort of authority.

i don't mind off-topic comments, so long as they have anything to do with the thread topic, but this one has very little to do with the topic of "will we get to control the xel'naga units at all?" Please stick to the topic, or start your own thread.