PDA

View Full Version : PC Gamer Issue!

Wankey
05-23-2009, 01:46 PM
I just read the July issue of PC Gamer and they have a couple of screenshots... quite good, I didn't buy the issue so I can't scan them but part of the screenshots are from the Game Mecca website.

Comments on what I noticed:

Thor - has the cannons again
Infestor - looks pretty much like a Zerg infested Reaver. It's even got tiny legs to walk around and it's back is filled with sacs like the brood lord.
Roach - model seems to be updated, nothing changed however, just more detail (attack is still the same)
Ultralisks - looks pretty good with the new art
Yamato cannon has a huge splash effect that engulfs an entire hatchery
Siege tank effects upgraded to include shrapnel

Some excerpts from the article that I can remember off the top of my head:

Dustin Browder was saying how the game is still up for grabs. They really need to get into beta to get some read data to balance things. Direct quotation "I'm not even sure the game is balance-able"

It also mentioned that multiplayer game assets are all in. With their focus into single player, it's coming along very nicely.

Triceron
05-23-2009, 04:26 PM
How many pages is the SC2 section, and are there a lot of screenshots and new information?

The one featured last month was only 2-3 pages long, so I didn't bother picking it up (Even though I love the before-and-after zerg revamps). I'm looking for something more substantial, like at least a 5-page article.

Cafeagles
05-23-2009, 04:32 PM
its about 5 pages but all the screenshots have been posted here already

Pandonetho
05-23-2009, 04:35 PM
The Thor looks much better with shoulder cannons IMO.

its about 5 pages but all the screenshots have been posted here already

Are you sure? I don't see any Roaches in the new screen, or Yamato engulfing entire hatcheries, or shrapnel.

Wankey
05-23-2009, 05:57 PM
Those screenshots have not been posted.

You can see a Yamato engulfing a hatchery in one of the screenshots released

Cafeagles
05-23-2009, 06:00 PM
well its the same scenes just a few seconds later or earlier

loath42
05-23-2009, 07:33 PM
Those screenshots have not been posted.

Why not!?!?!

Santrega
05-23-2009, 07:42 PM
well its the same scenes just a few seconds later or earlier

lol... Nice try, but they are still different screenshots.

Alex06
05-23-2009, 09:37 PM
Gonna try and get my hands on this issue of PC Gamer and maybe try to scan it...IF I can get the scanner to work.

MattII
05-23-2009, 11:47 PM
Good to see the Thor has cannons again, except they're folded back, which is sort of weird, wouldn't you expect them to be in place for instant firing?

Pandonetho
05-24-2009, 01:12 AM
When they were first revealed it was folded back.

I don't know what the Thor does now because as you said, how are they supposed to fire?

Xeonio
05-24-2009, 01:53 AM
Could it be possible its an upgrade or a switch in modes? Having his guns fold out makes him stationary but artillary?

MattII
05-24-2009, 02:58 AM
Could it be possible its an upgrade or a switch in modes? Having his guns fold out makes him stationary but artillary?

Nah, makes no sense, if it's an upgrade (it shouldn't be) then the guns shouldn't be there at all, and they wouldn't have brought it back as artillery, surely not? That ought to be one of the questions going to Blizzard for the next Q&A, what's happening to the Thor?

Noise
05-24-2009, 03:16 AM

So like a siege tank

SpiderBrigade
05-24-2009, 10:42 AM
The guns don't need to change position since the ones on his back are anti-air last I checked. So they just shoot straight up :D

mr. peasant
05-24-2009, 11:50 AM
I can think of two possibilites: Firstly, the Thor's cannons might now fire projectiles that travel in a parabolic arc as opposed to a straight line. Alternatively, perhaps there are brief pre- and post-attack animations where the cannons need to lower before attacking and be raised before moving, therefore making the Thor more vulnerable to kiting by air units.

Pandonetho
05-24-2009, 04:46 PM
The guns don't need to change position since the ones on his back are anti-air last I checked. So they just shoot straight up

Yeah but last time they were anti-air they were permanently brought up. Not folded.

Wankey
05-24-2009, 07:52 PM
They may have a new animation that deploys the cannons quickly? Why are people so flustered about this small art change? The cannons obviously look better.

ManjiSanji
05-24-2009, 08:01 PM
They may have a new animation that deploys the cannons quickly? Why are people so flustered about this small art change? The cannons obviously look better.

They look better than the old art they used, but massive missile packs on the back would also look incredibly awesome.

You know, like something from Mechwarrior.

Alex06
05-24-2009, 09:03 PM
They look better than the old art they used, but massive missile packs on the back would also look incredibly awesome.

You know, like something from Mechwarrior.
Maybe they actually did what I thought they should; Give the Thor the ability to upgrade with either missiles or siege cannons...

MattII
05-24-2009, 10:22 PM
Doubtful, the siege ability was dropped ages ago and hasn't shown even a hint of reappearing.

Blazur
05-25-2009, 03:41 PM
Dustin Browder was saying how the game is still up for grabs. They really need to get into beta to get some read data to balance things. Direct quotation "I'm not even sure the game is balance-able"

That's disappointing to hear how little faith Dustin has for his team when it comes to balancing. Just worry about making it as fun as possibly and get it into beta. It certainly will not be balanced at first, and probably not for a few years. And even if the beta doesn't balance the game, there will be at least 2 more changes with the expansions.

Just get this game into beta, please.

electricmole
05-25-2009, 06:34 PM
i cant seem to find the this in the net. i want to download it. I think the issue is jun and not july.