PDA

View Full Version : Another weekend gone, Another week begins

Sydarm
01-31-2010, 05:06 PM
What do you think is in store? Think any more viral beta hints? More random site updates? Or just think we won't hear anything till Feb 10?

I personally don't think anything will come of this Conference Call.

Jace Hall EP2? I don't think even Jace Hall will show anything. My only thing is that Blizzard knows we saw that Beta celebration and didn't mind us seeing.. it's just a matter of when then? Maybe they plan on airing that episode on the day beta is released. But how many weeks until that episode airs..who knows

ArcherofAiur
01-31-2010, 05:14 PM
I predict lots of threads asking us what we think is going to happen.

Pick
01-31-2010, 05:25 PM
Jace Hall is a funny show filmed a long time ago. I will still watch it, but there is no chance it will reveal anything about Blizzard's current schedule.

As for the conference call, I still think they need to tell investors what quarter they have scheduled for release. Just hearing that they are still on their "first half of 2010" schedule will be big news at this point. As many of us may be doubting a June release.

Triceron
01-31-2010, 05:35 PM
I don't think Blizz has ever virally hinted at the beta. All viral beta hype so far has been through misinformation or speculation.

mgcemir
01-31-2010, 05:39 PM
I don't think Blizz has ever virally hinted at the beta. All viral beta hype so far has been through misinformation or speculation.

u mean like " this is where ull download beta client soon " website? and " placeholder system spec" ?

hmm .. shouldnt the word speculation mean that someone other than the real source of information is talking about something that he or she doesnt know?

Triceron
01-31-2010, 06:49 PM
Which pretty much covers most of the stuff so far.

Leaked system specs? Wasn't credible. Jace hall show? Had nothing to do with SC2. Pro gamers getting beta keys and whatnot? Speculation, no hard information on when the Beta happens.

Sydarm
01-31-2010, 06:57 PM
To get a June release, beta needs to happen this February for a 4 months minimum beta as Dustin said... Which is Q2

I highly doubt they will wait till 2nd quarter to get a beta out.. but who knows..this game is turning into TF2 each day.

killermofo
01-31-2010, 07:25 PM
Either way the clock is ticking.

Each passing day is one day closer to final release.

SpikeVorador
01-31-2010, 07:36 PM
Either way the clock is ticking.

Each passing day is one day closer to final release.

yeah, also is one day closer to our deaths... so... the only thing we should do is to keep alive @_@

Islandsnake
01-31-2010, 07:44 PM
I feel like we'll get something this week

Perfecttear
01-31-2010, 07:48 PM
Hope we get something new soon, i'm kinda realy bored, enough even to go trolling on the SC2GDF, i've alredy got 2 threads with my name in it, asking me to please leave the forums and to never come back :p

Islandsnake
01-31-2010, 07:51 PM
Hope we get something new soon, i'm kinda realy bored, enough even to go trolling on the SC2GDF, i've alredy got 2 threads with my name in it, asking me to please leave the forums and to never come back :p

Is everyone really that bored without Sc2 stuff? Play some of the awesome games that are out ;d

SpikeVorador
01-31-2010, 07:54 PM
ill do it if i had enough money to buy those games...

right now im pretty much stuck with the 5 season of stargate atlantis... and i am in the 4 dvd of 5... so its not gonna last long G_G

Perfecttear
01-31-2010, 07:59 PM
Is everyone really that bored without Sc2 stuff? Play some of the awesome games that are out ;d
My comp just died yesterday, and now i'm forced to use an old laptop, so no games for me, and outside is a snowstorm ,and it's been freezing for days, so yeah nothing to do :(

rcp181
01-31-2010, 08:07 PM
yeah, also is one day closer to our deaths... so... the only thing we should do is to keep alive @_@Lol. I spent all day traveling yesterday and when I was getting close to home in my college town I was thinking "Please no drunk drivers. I don't want to die before beta comes out" :P

Skyze
01-31-2010, 08:10 PM
if anyone wants to play Heroes of Newerth, i'll sell my preorder for $20 (save 10).. you can change name once and stats will reset once its out of beta.. I think I have one beta key left too that you can give to a friend -_-

Its too addictive, and I gotta quit playing too much games.

SickPillow
02-01-2010, 12:01 AM
i predict the beta will start. o.0 (confoundingly optimistic!)
i predict almost nobody will be asked to participate. :( (only slightly pessimistic!)
i predict everyone will cry that they were not chosen.
i predict pizza and brownies will still taste good... but not when eaten together.
i predict that predicting will still be the greatest awesomeness.

GGTeMpLaR
02-01-2010, 12:13 AM
im gonna cry if i dont get a betakey from optin

ArcherofAiur
02-01-2010, 12:20 AM
im gonna cry if i dont get a betakey from optin

If its any concilation 6 months with unlimited battle reports, stats, ect... will seem like nothing after 3 years of silence.

rcp181
02-01-2010, 01:08 AM
im gonna cry if i dont get a betakey from optinNo matter what you're going to probably have a wait once beta starts if you're going for opt-in. I doubt there will be many opt-ins (if any) in the first wave of invites.

Sydarm
02-01-2010, 01:32 AM
i have a blizzcon key so im guaranteed one. but i have a few friends opted in + my normal account. i'll glady give out a key to one of you who dont get one if i get an extra

rcp181
02-01-2010, 01:42 AM
i have a blizzcon key so im guaranteed one. but i have a few friends opted in + my normal account. i'll glady give out a key to one of you who dont get one if i get an extraSame, I worked the opt-in like it was an election--even my dead grandfather is opted in! (different PCs/IPs etc too so it shouldn't be noticeable). Also got about 20 WoW players to opt-in and I'll give them gold for a key.

Triceron
02-01-2010, 03:07 AM
If its any concilation 6 months with unlimited battle reports, stats, ect... will seem like nothing after 3 years of silence.

It has not been 3 years of silence. Cry me a river, please.

limE
02-01-2010, 03:39 AM
Trust me, nothing's gonna happen this week -.-

SaharaDrac
02-01-2010, 04:19 AM
Oh, come, all ye faithful, joyful and triumphant,
Oh, come ye, oh, come ye, to Bethlehem.
Come and behold Him, born the King of angels;

Refrain:
Oh, come, let us adore Him, oh, come, let us adore Him,
Oh come, let us adore Him, Christ the Lord.
Sing, choirs of angels, sing in exultation;
Oh, sing, all ye citizens of heav’n above!

Glory to God, all glory in the highest;
Yea, Lord, we greet Thee, born this happy morning;
Jesus, to Thee be all glory giv’n;
Word of the Father, now in flesh appearing;

Hammy
02-01-2010, 09:11 AM
Same, I worked the opt-in like it was an election--even my dead grandfather is opted in! (different PCs/IPs etc too so it shouldn't be noticeable). Also got about 20 WoW players to opt-in and I'll give them gold for a key.

Yeah that pretty much the only reason I regret quitting WoW a few years ago: Unlimited beta opt-in opportunities when you have a good guild and gold stacked up to the ceiling...

n00bonicPlague
02-01-2010, 10:00 AM

Refrain:
Oh, sing, all ye citizens of heavín above!

Jesus, to Thee be all glory givín;
You messed it up. It's:

Verse 1:

Chorus:

Verse 2:
Oh, sing, all ye citizens of heavín above!

Chorus:

Verse 3:
Jesus, to Thee be all glory givín;

Chorus:

Gifted
02-01-2010, 10:21 AM
Did a few edits to the song. To those who feel it should not be changed, no offense intended :)
*coughs* For those who find this maybe a little disturbing, I personally sing christmas parodies.

Verse 1:
Oh, come ye, oh, come ye, to California.
Come and behold it, coded the King of video games;

Chorus:
Oh, come, let us adore it, oh, come, let us adore it,
Oh come, let us adore it, StarCraft II.

Verse 2:
Sing, designers of gg, sing in exultation;
Oh, sing, all ye members of community!
Glory to Jim Raynor, all dirty with alchoholism;

Chorus:
Oh come, let us adore it, Wings of Liberty.

Verse 3:
Yea, lore, we greet Thee, including NPCs;
bring all ye storyline to our monitors;
Word of the movies, cinematic glory;

Chorus:
Oh come, let us adore it, after 3 freaking years....

n00bonicPlague
02-01-2010, 10:35 AM
The phrasing is a bit awkward, but it has potential.

Gifted
02-01-2010, 10:40 AM
But if you sing it, it feels right :)

Sydarm
02-01-2010, 12:01 PM
well we got our epic twitter of the day notifying us that teamliquid has a starcraft tournament ...

god so fail

Pick
02-01-2010, 12:19 PM
well we got our epic twitter of the day notifying us that teamliquid has a starcraft tournament ...

god so fail

Team Liquid deserves an official Twitter, they put a lot of work into that tournament. Lots of fun to watch.

limE
02-01-2010, 01:03 PM
From twitter: The protoss vs. terran matchup is getting a lot of attention from the #StarCraft2 balance team.

plz tell me they are in the finall stages!

ArcherofAiur
02-01-2010, 01:05 PM
From twitter: The protoss vs. terran matchup is getting a lot of attention from the #StarCraft2 balance team.

The protoss vs terran matchup is in the final stage.

The protoss vs zerg matchup is in the conceptual stage.

KadajSouba
02-01-2010, 01:17 PM
The protoss vs terran matchup is in the final stage.

The protoss vs zerg matchup is in the conceptual stage.

Wrong... by a lot of attention means that they forgot about that matchup. They just realized last week that they need to balance that matchup, thats why its gettin a lot of attention.

Hurry delay beta one year!!!

Blazur
02-01-2010, 01:21 PM

Very insightful! Thank you Twitter for bestowing your wisdom upon us. I shall now meditate over this gem of knowledge.

ArcherofAiur
02-01-2010, 01:53 PM
The Protoss vs Zerg matchup is not getting allot of attention and will probably cut itself when it gets older.

Wrong... by a lot of attention means that they forgot about that matchup. They just realized last week that they need to balance that matchup, thats why its gettin a lot of attention.

Hurry delay beta one year!!!

Dustin: So in conclusion weve pretty much wrapped everything up. ZvZ is looking great as is PvP, TvT, TvZ and PvZ. I think we can start beta next week.

Samwise: Hey whoa wait wait wait wait hold on Dustin. Something just occured to me. What if a Protoss player trys to play a Terran player?

Dustin: .....................Oh dear god....

Triceron
02-01-2010, 02:15 PM
That's cuz Protoss have probes. So imba. Remove plz.

DeathsAngel
02-01-2010, 04:23 PM
So! No announcement for February 1st. Then let's go to February 2nd! Maybe Blizzard will have a big announcement for us, I can feel it, something big! ...

Wait, tomorrow is patch 3.3.2 for WoW WotLK which means the Lich King is available, forget it then.

So let's see next open day for an announcement.... February 3rd?! ;) Stick tight, hold your hopes and we'll see in the next weeks!

Triceron
02-01-2010, 05:03 PM
Lich King, both words containing 4 letters. Beta is also 4 letters. Coincidence? I think not.

SickPillow
02-01-2010, 05:21 PM
Lich King, both words containing 4 letters. Beta is also 4 letters. Coincidence? I think not.

haha. made me lol.

DeathsAngel
02-01-2010, 05:57 PM
Soon also contains 4 letters, omg I see a pattern.

Norfindel
02-01-2010, 06:43 PM

plz tell me they are in the finall stages!
WTF??? What importance could a BW TvP matchup have at this stage of development???

Possible next tweet: the Arclite is in the game again :rolleyes:

ALFM09
02-01-2010, 08:56 PM
WTF??? What importance could a TvP matchup have at this stage of development???

I was wondering the same thing...I thought balance issues were for Beta, and TvP sounds like a big balance project, not just like "adding new spells to Overseer and Corrupter.

At the very least, I'm crossing my fingers for tomorrow - if not Beta, then at least a clue or something about Battle.net is WoW's 3.3.2 download. Remember, all games will be linked and players will be able to chat over Bnet.

Sydarm
02-01-2010, 09:21 PM
I was wondering the same thing...I thought balance issues were for Beta, and TvP sounds like a big balance project, not just like "adding new spells to Overseer and Corrupter.

At the very least, I'm crossing my fingers for tomorrow - if not Beta, then at least a clue or something about Battle.net is WoW's 3.3.2 download. Remember, all games will be linked and players will be able to chat over Bnet.

I have no idea why you think WoW 3.3.2 is anything special for SC2

rcp181
02-01-2010, 09:39 PM
I have no idea why you think WoW 3.3.2 is anything special for SC2He's *hoping* it adds the cross-game chat functionality.

Sydarm
02-01-2010, 09:48 PM
He's *hoping* it adds the cross-game chat functionality.

Now THAT is funny ... considering they said it won't come until Cataclysm

Triceron
02-01-2010, 10:02 PM
Cross game chat works fine right now. It's called Ventrilo :P

SpikeVorador
02-01-2010, 10:12 PM
well i use teamspeak 2, so no idea how the ventrillo works xD

Alex06
02-02-2010, 12:07 AM
I'm just gonna randomly assume that the beta will start on February 22nd...
Let's see if my guess is really lucky. xD

Domi87
02-02-2010, 06:01 AM

Theres no way they are going to release the new WoW patch and new arena season AND release sc2 beta, doesn't make sense logistically. Possibility for too many problems at once.

Sydarm
02-02-2010, 10:50 AM
i had a dream beta was announced today.

but in my dream i actually said to myself "i know this is a dream cause beta doesnt exist"

thats how u know this is taking to long lol

ALFM09
02-02-2010, 12:51 PM
True. I mean, I doubt it'll be released today, but at this point, any day up to the 10th is fair game in my opinion. I was more curious if there was any BNET code or related goodies in the WoW patch download that'd enable WoW users to chat via BNET to other games. Maybe that's too hard to find or too much to wish for :P

DeathsAngel
02-02-2010, 01:23 PM
I have no idea why you think WoW 3.3.2 is anything special for SC2

As Domi87 said, Blizzard won't release 2-3 major things at once, they are dump, but not that much. And since WoW is their money creator I don't think they will turn it down for SC2 beta.

Skyze
02-02-2010, 01:29 PM
As Domi87 said, Blizzard won't release 2-3 major things at once, they are dump, but not that much. And since WoW is their money creator I don't think they will turn it down for SC2 beta.

you're right; Blizzard is dump.

lol.

Triceron
02-02-2010, 02:10 PM
Theres no way they are going to release the new WoW patch and new arena season AND release sc2 beta, doesn't make sense logistically. Possibility for too many problems at once.

Want to be clear but WoW has nothing to do with SC2. Two completely different teams that don't interact with each other progress-wise. Wrath of the Lich King patches are not what has been keeping the beta from being released for the past 2 years.

They have announced multiple things at once many times over. Does no one remember a little event called Blizzcon?

I'm sure they'd prefer to space out announcements to deal with it more evenly, but it doesn't mean just cuz a patch comes out for WoW we can't expect any major SC2 or D3 news.

Domi87
02-02-2010, 04:25 PM
Want to be clear but WoW has nothing to do with SC2. Two completely different teams that don't interact with each other progress-wise. Wrath of the Lich King patches are not what has been keeping the beta from being released for the past 2 years.

They have announced multiple things at once many times over. Does no one remember a little event called Blizzcon?

I'm sure they'd prefer to space out announcements to deal with it more evenly, but it doesn't mean just cuz a patch comes out for WoW we can't expect any major SC2 or D3 news.

No, they're not separate teams. If you recall, most of the starcraft 2 team was pulled to work on WoW for burning crusade and the other expansions, which is their bread and butter. With the new patch I'm sure they have everyone, including some sc2 staff doing some troubleshooting and making sure everything is going smooth with WoW. The team members work on different projects and I'm sure when the beta rolls around they'll have some WoW staff helping with that as well.

Triceron
02-02-2010, 04:32 PM
They pull of some members to do pushes, but they are very much separate teams. WoW back then is now WoW now. Remember that Blizzard before WoW had less resources available to them and the WoW team was very much a splinter of the War3 team that ended up becoming the SC2 team, which made sense to do that.

SC2 during that time was in early stages of production. WoW was about to come out. It only made sense to put resources into WoW. Since then WoW itself has generated billions allowing a full fledged and dedicated team to be made separate of SC2. There isn't much cross pollination happening at this point.

It's like asking a friend to help you move furniture into your apartment. Just because he helps you move furniture doesn't mean he lives in your apartment. The WoW and SC2 teams are separate, and a WoW patch has no direct affect against SC2. The only reason it would is when marketting or PR is in effect, like releasing 2 games at once - but that's not the case between a patch and a beta, since they're not making money off either.

I work in the games industry. I know this shit fo realz, yo.

Domi87
02-02-2010, 05:35 PM
They pull of some members to do pushes, but they are very much separate teams. WoW back then is now WoW now. Remember that Blizzard before WoW had less resources available to them and the WoW team was very much a splinter of the War3 team that ended up becoming the SC2 team, which made sense to do that.

SC2 during that time was in early stages of production. WoW was about to come out. It only made sense to put resources into WoW. Since then WoW itself has generated billions allowing a full fledged and dedicated team to be made separate of SC2. There isn't much cross pollination happening at this point.

It's like asking a friend to help you move furniture into your apartment. Just because he helps you move furniture doesn't mean he lives in your apartment. The WoW and SC2 teams are separate, and a WoW patch has no direct affect against SC2. The only reason it would is when marketting or PR is in effect, like releasing 2 games at once - but that's not the case between a patch and a beta, since they're not making money off either.

I work in the games industry. I know this shit fo realz, yo.

They are separate teams, to a degree. My point was their members overlap so they are not DISTINCT teams at all times. To borrow your example, if you have a small group of friends, do 2 of them ask you to help move furniture at the same time? No, the labor is spread to thin to get both moves done properly, you don't schedule them at the same time. Which is why they wouldn't release the wow patch AND the beta today.

Triceron
02-02-2010, 05:47 PM
They are distinct teams at all times. They have their own project managers, producers, designers. They have separate deadlines and goals.

Patches are decided by the dedicated team. There are some aspects that are not team-specific, like art assets, QnA or tech. However, unless the company has a dedicated team that works on art or tech globally, it's not normal to pull members from another team to work on a game just for a patch. This is usually done when a game is hitting a major deadline and needs major focus. Patches don't affect their bottom line, they don't need to pull off people from other teams to complete them.

It's not realistic to think they're pulling balance designers off WoW to work on SC2 or vice versa. Again, a WoW patch has nothing to do with SC2.

Domi87
02-02-2010, 06:46 PM
It's not realistic to think they're pulling balance designers off WoW to work on SC2 or vice versa. Again, a WoW patch has nothing to do with SC2.

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3174991

"One of the reasons that StarCraft II had some delays very early on in development is because a fair amount of the design team went onto World of Warcraft for a year to really help finish that game off," Pardo told Eurogamer.

StarCraft II lead producer Chris Sigaty was one of those who was pulled away to work on WoW. He said that "during the time that we were working on World of Warcraft, our team got sucked into that to some extent. A lot of our artists went over and worked on WOW - I was called off, too."

rcp181
02-02-2010, 06:50 PM
That was back in 2004 silly -_-

Domi87
02-02-2010, 07:09 PM
Still makes the point that the team members switch projects

edit: even lead producers

Triceron
02-02-2010, 07:17 PM
And they're still separate teams.

WoW and War3 were created at the same time. WoW and War3 were very close to being the same thing. SC2 team = War3 team, meaning it makes sense to use those guys to finish off WoW.

SC2 now is completely different from WotLK. The teams have diverged into very independant entities.

rcp181
02-02-2010, 07:19 PM
The argument was "SC2 and WoW *ARE* distinct teams." Note the present tense.

SC2 was in it's infancy way back then and the development behind it has changed significantly since then. Your quote proves nothing (it's also very old news and almost everyone here has probably already seen it before).

Domi87
02-02-2010, 07:43 PM
The argument was "SC2 and WoW *ARE* distinct teams." Note the present tense.

SC2 was in it's infancy way back then and the development behind it has changed significantly since then. Your quote proves nothing (it's also very old news and almost everyone here has probably already seen it before).

No, the argument was they are, always have been and always will be separate. My quote proves starcraft team members have in the past and can move over to support wow in its development during expansions and new patch releases if need be which is why they would not risk releasing both on the same day for fear of being spread too thin. But thanks for butting into the argument, your valuable opinion is noted.

Triceron
02-02-2010, 07:49 PM
The TEAMS have always been different. If you don't understand that concept, then you're arguing the wrong point.

Sigaty worked on War3, which was in development with Vanilla WoW. Since then WoW has completely changed in almost every aspect. They're not going to pull him off to help work on patch 3.3.

No, it does not prove that at any time SC2 devs are going to migrate over to work on WoW.

And what RCP stated was not opinion. It's fact.

rcp181
02-02-2010, 07:56 PM
No, the argument was they are, always have been and always will be separate. My quote proves starcraft team members have in the past and can move over to support wow in its development during expansions and new patch releases if need be which is why they would not risk releasing both on the same day for fear of being spread too thin. But thanks for butting into the argument, your valuable opinion is noted.Unless I'm missing something very old from an early page, it looks like this started last page where you were talking about pulling people for Burning crusade. I don't see anything about "always."

Also I've never heard of an SC2 team being pulled for Burning Crusade and would be really interested in your source on that one.

There's a very obvious reason for pulling programmers back in 2004: The original WoW was in crunch time and SC2 had hardly left the ground. Things have obviously changed a lot since then, and SC2 definitely has it's own teams now (although I think one cinematics team is shared across all games).

ArcherofAiur
02-02-2010, 11:06 PM
Quick question. Which of you are actually on the SC2 or WOW teams?

Domi87
02-02-2010, 11:25 PM
Quick question. Which of you are actually on the SC2 or WOW teams?

I was on both as we got switched around alot.

Triceron
02-03-2010, 01:06 AM
I was on both as we got switched around alot.

Hahahahahahaha!