PDA

View Full Version : Ask Blizzard - January Edition

LordofAscension
01-31-2010, 12:39 PM
You all know the drill. You have till sometime late Tuesday or Wednesday.

Cheers,

~LoA

ArcherofAiur
01-31-2010, 12:42 PM
Macro?

Crazy_Jonny
01-31-2010, 01:43 PM
Beta?

ArcherofAiur
01-31-2010, 01:48 PM
/questions

DemolitionSquid
01-31-2010, 02:18 PM
I gotta go with Archer on this. At this point, the Devs need to stop wasting time (badly) answering (stupid) QnA's and just get the damn beta out the door.

All you need to tell Blizzard: "Everything we want to know, every question we can ask, can be answered by a Beta. So hurry it up already."

ChaosSmurf
01-31-2010, 02:18 PM
I want to lock the thread so bad.

screw_ball69
01-31-2010, 02:25 PM

Dooo Eeeet1

Hamshank
01-31-2010, 02:45 PM
Yea, this thread is pointless now. -_-

Rashed801
01-31-2010, 02:47 PM
What a pointless thread, people are waiting for Beta and not for "random Q&A"... Lmao. Sad.

DemolitionSquid
01-31-2010, 02:48 PM

I wouldn't oppose.

If:
1. They chose GOOD questions to answer;
2. Karune answered questions about SC2 with even a SHRED of the detail D3's Bashiok does;
3. Xordiah answered instead of Karune because she DOES answer better;
THEN I'd bother asking questions for these QnA's.

But ultimately, I have been disappointed with these QnA's for a long time.

screw_ball69
01-31-2010, 03:09 PM
Karune, answer somthing? since when? he usually just dances around the question.

SpikeVorador
01-31-2010, 03:09 PM
well... i just have the same question than last month

¿who is doing the Spanish version of the game? becouse... the translation they're doing really really suck

and a new one

¿when the game comes out i could buy a version of the game with the original lenguaje (english) in my country (mexico) or do you only sell spanish version in this side of the border and i will have to import a version of the USA if i want to avoid that crappy spanish translation?

ArcherofAiur
01-31-2010, 03:11 PM
I think we can be alittle more respectful in our tone towards Blizzard. But yah I agree there is a general feeling in the community that these Q&A are poorly done at best and insulting at worst. Keeping in mind that we technically have no "right" to new info.

By the way did any of our questions from last time ever get answered?

Freespace
01-31-2010, 03:14 PM
Blizzard doesn't need to do these Q&As. It's a perk for the community, and you don't look a gift horse in the mouth. :)

A question I'd be curious to find answered:

It would be cool to control human Raynor, and as he comes to an empty vulture, you see him get on it and then you control vulture Raynor. Will this or something similar ( other units ) be available in SC2 singleplayer or custom maps?

0neder
01-31-2010, 03:50 PM
Is blizzard willing to take necessary steps to make SC2 a timeless esport? Including possibly axing units, changing them, both during beta and after release? Would blizzard seriously consider a unit art redesign if fans objected (eg Hellion)?

The_Blade
01-31-2010, 03:51 PM
Will we see moving terrain?

I'll explain. Lets say you have a space map with 2 rings of terrain as the main terrain. One of the rings rotates clockwise and the otherone counter-clockwise. Another example would be an "assembly line" kind of movement.

I just believe this kind of behaviour could add a great feel to the game, besides a higher amount of variety in the map community :P

screw_ball69
01-31-2010, 04:12 PM
Space platforms that actually move and smash into one another

Mothxal
01-31-2010, 04:15 PM
Space platforms to ferry units across would be awesome. Could be a fun alternative for locked off island expansions; you won't need shuttles and you can be attacked, but you have a lot more defensive options.

I honestly don't think the map editor can do these things, though. Maybe someone should ask Blizzard.

Pick
01-31-2010, 04:19 PM
What is the current status of Protoss macro mechanics?

I was under the impression they were testing new ideas, then I never heard any more about it.

moosh
01-31-2010, 05:22 PM
Beta Questions
- How can someone improve their chances in becoming a beta tester?

SC2 Questions
- Why did you guys decide not to let the Engineering Bay lift off?
- When you ping the minimap, will it makes a noise for your allies?

BNET 2.0 Question
- How will 2v2 match making work?
- Once Bnet 2.0 comes out, will older Blzzard games make the switch, or continue to be played on the original Bnet?

Galaxy Editor Questions
- Awhile back you guys tweeted that SC2 Heroes could carry more stuff now... what kind of stuff would they carry?
- Will SC1 units be available in the Galaxy Editor?

Computer AI Questions
- At what point does a computer AI surrender?
- Will people be able to play against the computer AI in beta?

Gt2slurp
01-31-2010, 05:24 PM
well... i just have the same question than last month

¿who is doing the Spanish version of the game? becouse... the translation they're doing really really suck

and a new one

¿when the game comes out i could buy a version of the game with the original lenguaje (english) in my country (mexico) or do you only sell spanish version in this side of the border and i will have to import a version of the USA if i want to avoid that crappy spanish translation?

Let's reformulate this one:

Each country will have its own version with its official language built-in of it or it will be an international version will all language inside? If it is the first, can we do a language update online for free? If it is the second, can we hot-swap between language we selected at installation in the optin menu?

Space platforms to ferry units across would be awesome. Could be a fun alternative for locked off island expansions; you won't need shuttles and you can be attacked, but you have a lot more defensive options.

I honestly don't think the map editor can do these things, though. Maybe someone should ask Blizzard.

It's a good question, moving map can be very interesting.A map made of 2 concentric circle turning in opposite direction can be totally crazy. To answer your question

Do the map editor can...

Yes it can.

Blazur
01-31-2010, 06:17 PM
Don't care about anything other than beta.

ArcherofAiur
01-31-2010, 06:21 PM
How about info on some of the recent twitters?

LordofAscension
01-31-2010, 06:34 PM
Thanks to those of you for legitimately being helpful in this thread. We're asked every month by Blizzard and I'm just trying to ensure SC:L does its part. I understand everyone is frustrated but please be respectful. If you don't have a question please refrain from posting in this thread.

Thank you.

~LoA

SpikeVorador
01-31-2010, 07:30 PM
Let's reformulate this one:

Each country will have its own version with its official language built-in of it or it will be an international version will all language inside? If it is the first, can we do a language update online for free? If it is the second, can we hot-swap between language we selected at installation in the optin menu?

thanks for the reformulation =P... but it doesnt reflect how much the translations to spanish suck T_T

GGTeMpLaR
01-31-2010, 07:53 PM
Will the turret unit from the Raven take damage from spell abilities such as Psi Storm?

Can the Snipe ability of the Ghost be put on auto-cast?

Kimera757
01-31-2010, 08:59 PM
Wings of Liberty is using mercenaries instead of heroes. Will there be an option of using some heroes instead of mercenaries (at the player's option)?

Hamshank
01-31-2010, 11:39 PM
Will the installation missions follow the same overhead displays for typical scenarios?

GGTeMpLaR
02-01-2010, 12:29 AM
Actually, here's a question I'm extremely curious about.

In Heroes of Newerth, a player is able to reconnect to a game within 5 minutes of leaving/disconnecting.

My question is does Blizzard have any plans to implement an ability to reconnect to a game they've disconnecting from? If they don't, would they consider adding it post-release, or possibly in an expansion?

n00bonicPlague
02-01-2010, 01:47 AM
How many licks does it ta— no wait, that's the wrong list......

How 'bout them new Protoss mechanics mah boi?

moosh
02-01-2010, 01:58 AM
Actually, here's a question I'm extremely curious about.

In Heroes of Newerth, a player is able to reconnect to a game within 5 minutes of leaving/disconnecting.

My question is does Blizzard have any plans to implement an ability to reconnect to a game they've disconnecting from? If they don't, would they consider adding it post-release, or possibly in an expansion?

That's an interesting one. Like maybe in a 1v1 if someone gets disconnected for whatever reason, the game auto-pauses for a minute, before declaring you the winner? Actually, I don't really see it workin in 1v1, since in BW people used to d/c themselves to prevents getting a loss on their record. But it would be a nice feature in 2v2.

In 2v2 if a teammate gets disconnected, you automatically take control of their units and their minerals temporarily, and your team mate has 2 minutes to come back into the game? That would be neat.

GnaReffotsirk
02-01-2010, 03:49 AM
How do you plan to support guilds, groups, or channels in Battle Net 2.0? Will we have to pay a monthly fee to hold our own clan and tournaments with it?

GGTeMpLaR
02-01-2010, 09:20 AM
That's an interesting one. Like maybe in a 1v1 if someone gets disconnected for whatever reason, the game auto-pauses for a minute, before declaring you the winner? Actually, I don't really see it workin in 1v1, since in BW people used to d/c themselves to prevents getting a loss on their record. But it would be a nice feature in 2v2.

In 2v2 if a teammate gets disconnected, you automatically take control of their units and their minerals temporarily, and your team mate has 2 minutes to come back into the game? That would be neat.

Yea, the ideal use be to save UMS maps from instantly blowing up when someone dcs. It'd also be practical to use in team games, I guess they could make it work in 1v1s but it wouldn't be as effective due to the competitive nature.

Kimera757
02-01-2010, 10:26 AM
Will there be downloadable mini-campaigns like Enslavers II? Will there be any third-person shooter missions?

flak4321
02-01-2010, 12:25 PM
I have one. In my SC1 battle.net experiences, you could only boot a misbehaving player on the game initiation screen. Will/can this ability be extended in game, for example, to boot someone who backstabs (after beating the other team) or cheats in some way? Will there be a penalty of a loss (or more) on the booted player's record?

Off-topic: I once theorized something like this, but the penalty was 1,000,000 losses. I think that might be harsh nowadays. :)

Coldasblues
02-01-2010, 01:55 PM
Will players be forced to jump through hoops to report hackers? Or will they included a faster way to report them?

Norfindel
02-01-2010, 02:54 PM
If Immortal Shields are less than 10, what would exactly happend when attacked? Is damage still reduced to 10?
Is there any limit, or as long as the Immortal has 1 Shield left, it can reduce incoming damage to a max of 10? What about Shield regeneration during battle? Won't that cause problems, or it's considered just a feature of the unit?

Do Shields regenerate during battle, or do they have increased regen when not in battle?

---

Do you plan to change the Carrier model, or are you going to stick with the recolored Tempest model?

Nicol Bolas
02-01-2010, 03:25 PM
Do you plan to change the Carrier model, or are you going to stick with the recolored Tempest model?

I want this question clarified. Are they going to change the basic design of the model, or are they going to keep the current design of the Carrier?

Triceron
02-01-2010, 03:54 PM
Will the Hyperion get a unique model

SickPillow
02-01-2010, 04:38 PM
How do you plan to support guilds, groups, or channels in Battle Net 2.0? Will we have to pay a monthly fee to hold our own clan and tournaments with it?

These are good questions. I want to know more about BNet 2.0.

Arkalis
02-01-2010, 04:47 PM
About Wings of Liberty: Is the campaign done, being polished or still adding missions?

About Skirmish: Any plans on commands for friendly AI?

About Battle.net: How is rematch managed; any special command to remake the game with the same players or manually you remake the game?

About Galaxy Map Editor: What features are included in the editor to make RPG-styled UMS maps?

Misc: Do you need to be connected to the Internet to install the game?

Kimera757
02-01-2010, 05:54 PM
About Wings of Liberty: Is the campaign done, being polished or still adding missions?

They've settled on 28 missions, and the game gets polished until it ships.

Misc: Do you need to be connected to the Internet to install the game?

Yes. That was confirmed quite a while back (and repeatedly at BlizzCon 2009). To answer the inevitable next question, you do not need to be connected to the internet in order to play single-player games.

Arkalis
02-01-2010, 06:33 PM
Thanks Kimera...just wanted to confirm

Shadow Archon
02-01-2010, 07:56 PM
How many unique upgrades and units will be in the Single player game?

How many cinematics will there be?

KneeofJustice
02-01-2010, 08:51 PM
If Immortal Shields are less than 10, what would exactly happend when attacked? Is damage still reduced to 10?
Is there any limit, or as long as the Immortal has 1 Shield left, it can reduce incoming damage to a max of 10? What about Shield regeneration during battle? Won't that cause problems, or it's considered just a feature of the unit?

Do Shields regenerate during battle, or do they have increased regen when not in battle?

---

These are great questions. Some more clarifications on the immortal hardened shield mechanic would be great.

To expand on that shield question at the end: can you give us a better understanding of why you removed the "new" (no regen during battle, fast regen after) shield mechanic?

Also, how is the immortal working out at the robo facility? Any chance of seeing him back at the warpgate, or perhaps the gateway (as opposed to the warpgate)? Any observations would be nice.

How does the phoenix perform against stacked mutalisks going into beta?

moosh
02-02-2010, 04:52 AM
I have one. In my SC1 battle.net experiences, you could only boot a misbehaving player on the game initiation screen. Will/can this ability be extended in game, for example, to boot someone who backstabs (after beating the other team) or cheats in some way? Will there be a penalty of a loss (or more) on the booted player's record?

Off-topic: I once theorized something like this, but the penalty was 1,000,000 losses. I think that might be harsh nowadays. :)

Dude, a feature like that would so get abused...

flabortast
02-02-2010, 09:05 AM
What is the current status of shields? How does it interact with damage in relation to armor class? What is the reason behind returning the shield regen back to SC1 parameters?

Edfishy
02-02-2010, 01:25 PM
When you morph a Zergling to a Baneling, what's the supply change? Does it remain at 1/2 supply, or is there an additional 1/2 supply cost?

Skyze
02-02-2010, 01:53 PM
How are the beta keys gonna work? Will it be on an email-password recovery system like SC? Can more than one person use a key?

Shadow Archon
02-03-2010, 01:41 PM
Because Archer kinda made me curious....
http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/starcraft/images/a/a9/Super_Zealot.jpg

Will this sucker be in the game as a campaign only unit? For the Mini-Campaign or Legacy of the Void?

ArcherofAiur
02-03-2010, 02:01 PM
What abilities does the Sentry have?

Triceron
02-03-2010, 03:24 PM
Isn't it just the same as the Disruptor?

ArcherofAiur
02-03-2010, 03:29 PM
Isn't it just the same as the Disruptor?

For all we know yes. Im asking incase something changed.

Nicol Bolas
02-03-2010, 05:06 PM
A recent post strongly suggested that D8 Charges no longer affect buildings. Is this true?

Caliban113
02-03-2010, 05:27 PM
Nicol beat me to it! :)

Given that D8 charges are no longer destuctible (yet targetable) are they prone to any spells as a counter? - Are there any other changes in their stats? (smaller AoE, destructive power, etc,)

Pandonetho
02-03-2010, 10:01 PM
Regarding the reconnection idea.

This is the way it should work... exactly like League of Legends.

If a player disconnects he should be given the option to reconnect to the game for as long as the whole game lasts. If he doesn't reconnect just give him a d/c.

For as long as the game goes on, he's not allowed to join any other game until that game is over. I think this is a way to punish leavers, and won't affect people who leave for legitimate reasons (because they won't be coming back anyway).

Now, the leaver will either be forced to rejoin the game and help his ally (who would gain control of the leaver's units) or he'll just have to sit and wait or do something else until the game is over.

With that said, Blizzard should implement a system where the countdown timer actually does something, like if someone leaves before then, the timer stops. Or, everyone must ready up to start the game, and once the timer is started there's no going back.

A recent post strongly suggested that D8 Charges no longer affect buildings. Is this true?

It suggested nothing of the sort, stop with this nonsense. I can bet you a million dollars people don't add "and it won't hurt your buildings if you lift in time!" for no reason. Just because you decided to misunderstand the word "units" as not including buildings doesn't mean he was suggesting that the charges no longer affect buildings, especially when he added that buildings don't get hurt if they're lifted off. Now use some common sense, why would he say that, if it no longer affected buildings period? Because if it no longer affected buildings period it would not make sense to say that.

This is the quote verbatim

They also only damage ground units, so they won't do any damage to your buildings if you manage to lift them off before the charges blow up.

Now, I can understand the confusion if he stopped it at "they also only damage ground units" but no, he didn't stop there. He continued to say "if you manage to lift them off before the charges blow up." What does that suggest? It suggests that because he used the word "manage" as in "you managed to save your buildings by lifting them off before the charges blew up!" that suggests that there would have been an alternative result if you had not lifted off your buildings, they would have gotten hurt. If the charges did not hurt buildings, then there'd be no point in adding that they won't do any damage to your buildings... IF you manage to lift them off before the charges blow up.

Triceron
02-03-2010, 11:40 PM
Okay I read that part and that confuses me too. I skimmed over it the first time, but now I'm realizing what's said and the context it's in.

If he's intentionally grouping buildings into 'ground units' then he's a freakin retard. Buildings and Units should remain separate entities in context to the game.

moosh
02-04-2010, 04:59 AM
Can lurkers hold position?

don
02-04-2010, 02:55 PM
Will BW be compatible with Bnet 2.0? Will we get to see Bnet 2.0 features put into BW?
What are the plans for BW when SC2 comes out?

What do you think of the upcoming Facebook implementation of Civilization (http://www.facebook.com/civnetwork?v=wall&ref=search)? Would Blizzard be open to doing something like that with BW multiplayer? Maybe as a way to promote SC2 via social networking?