PDA

View Full Version : What Beta will be like.

Nicol Bolas
01-21-2010, 02:13 PM
This is pure speculation, but here is my prediction of how Beta will work. Or, at least, here's how I would do it.

First week:

No balance patching. Someone discovers TheOneStrategy(tm); owns everyone. One race is dominant. One race will be considered useless.

People complain.

Second week:

TheOneStrategy(tm) is defeated, to be replaced by TheOtherStrategy(tm). Still no balance patching.

People complain.

Rest of first month:

TheOtherStrategy(tm) is gradually replaced by TheFewStrategies. The previously useless race will suddenly gain adherents. Still no balance patching.

People still complain.

Second month:

Nerf hammer falls. Units that are integral to TheFewStrategies are nerfed down. Macro mechanics values are tweaked.

Someone starts working on TheBuild(tm).

People complain.

Third month:

More nerfing. Marauders nerfed into nonexistence.

TheBuild(tm) is unleashed. Entire metagame changes.

First legitimate pimpest-play candidate is logged.

People complain some more.

Fourth month:

More nerfing. Spellcasters get de-balled.

TheBuild(tm) becomes standard play. Those who can't execute TheBuild(tm) will fall by the wayside competitively.

More people complain.

Fifth month:

Horrible yet subtle imbalance discovered. As a consequence, TheBuild(tm) gets nerfed.

TheBuild 2.0 is unleashed.

People continue to complain.

Sixth month:

Metagame semi-stabilizes. A few minor nerfs put TheBuild 2.0 out of business.

People complain.

DemolitionSquid
01-21-2010, 02:19 PM
Sounds pretty accurate.

PhanttoM
01-21-2010, 02:23 PM
People complain.
People complain.
People still complain.
People complain.
People complain some more.
More people complain.
People continue to complain.
People complain.

^Those parts are certain.

almostfamous
01-21-2010, 02:25 PM
derp de derp!

I've never been part of any beta other than map testing, but this indeed sounds pretty solid.

GnaReffotsirk
01-21-2010, 03:03 PM
You are now the prophet of Beta. Oh, most holy, Nicol Bolas.

People of Starcraft2ism, our most holy prophet of Beta has been revealed!

Repent therefore, for the time of Complaint is near.

Caliban113
01-21-2010, 03:15 PM
HA! - Starcraft2ism - I remember that thread. :) That, and the church of the 'Little Spinning Missile Turret Guy'

Edit:

http://blizzforums.com/showthread.php?t=22151&highlight=starcraft2ism

GnaReffotsirk
01-21-2010, 03:17 PM
Oh, yea of little faith. The order of Starcraft2ism STILL EXISTS! <--- take note the caps for emphasis.

Zabimaru
01-21-2010, 03:36 PM
Starcraft2ism

Bad times. :p

Now we just need Beta to take us all out to dinner.

LXM
01-21-2010, 03:39 PM
People always complain. That's a part of balancing though, so you shouldn't complain about it ^^

Caliban113
01-21-2010, 03:44 PM
Oh, yea of little faith. The order of Starcraft2ism STILL EXISTS! <--- take note the caps for emphasis.

Converted over to, "Our Lady of Spinning Missle Turret Guy" - I have a little version of him on the dashboard of my car.

......"He spinz fer our sinz"

Bad times. :p

.....then yull really lovez this, Zabimaru...

http://blizzforums.com/showthread.php?t=21803&highlight=spinning

EndlessSky
01-21-2010, 03:48 PM
I think a lot of people forget that even the first Starcraft didn't start out perfectly balanced it took Blizzard a lot of fine tuning. I think most of the complaints about balance are gonna be "it's not as balanced as the first" but that is impossible to do. I doubt beta is gonna be 5 or 6 months, I've played in a lot of betas for different games and usually they are a month or so if that.

Triceron
01-21-2010, 03:50 PM
Takes more than a week for the OneStrat to be widespread IMO. First Week would be filled with praises. Strats are being tested and formed. I say the OneStrat appears late week 2.

spychi
01-21-2010, 03:53 PM
Like this but replace CS with StarCraft 2
y2QZOMfkQrI
watch till 1:10

Nicol Bolas
01-21-2010, 04:17 PM
Repent therefore, for the time of Complaint is near.

You mean the Time of Greater Complaint. We're already in the Time of Complaint.

Caliban113
01-21-2010, 04:19 PM
The Summer Olympics of Complaint......and once again, it'll be up to America to bring home tha gold... :)

SaharaDrac
01-21-2010, 04:25 PM
just so you know, alt-0665 provides a nice little ™ for TheBuild™.

GnaReffotsirk
01-21-2010, 04:35 PM

Oh, do not punish me and send me to eternal damnation. I would have made that mistake, great Prophet. I could never surpass thine powers of vision.

Sincerely,
Thy humble audience

edit:
And thus I LOL'd as the words of the Time of Greater Complaint returned to my sight... upon refresh.

Alex06
01-21-2010, 04:37 PM
Ah, yes, the time of greater complaint. I can hardly wait!

Kimera757
01-21-2010, 04:38 PM
I think a lot of people forget that even the first Starcraft didn't start out perfectly balanced it took Blizzard a lot of fine tuning. I think most of the complaints about balance are gonna be "it's not as balanced as the first" but that is impossible to do. I doubt beta is gonna be 5 or 6 months, I've played in a lot of betas for different games and usually they are a month or so if that.

Warcraft III's beta took five months. Blizzard takes a lot of time on their games.

Despite the wait though, once beta starts, we'll have at least a vague idea of when the game will ship.

Triceron
01-21-2010, 04:57 PM

I'd figure 'Time of Relatively Substantial Complaint'

GnaReffotsirk
01-21-2010, 05:03 PM
There, you've done it, Triceron. I LOL'ed once more.

Rogueleader89
01-21-2010, 07:15 PM
you forgot the part around month 4 where the map editor is released, masses of people abandon the actual game and complaints arise about ums maps filling the lists and the difficulty of finding good people to test the actual games with. Not to mention the ever increasing rise in disconnects as these strategies are discovered. Otherwise the prediction seems quite accurate.

DemolitionSquid
01-21-2010, 07:29 PM
You won't be able to play UMS during beta.

Gifted
01-21-2010, 07:56 PM
You won't be able to play UMS during beta.A rather direct, factual statement. I would like to hear the source for your speculation.

Hamshank
01-21-2010, 07:57 PM
You won't be able to play UMS during beta.

Is that right?

DemolitionSquid
01-21-2010, 07:58 PM
A rather direct, factual statement. I would like to hear the source for your speculation.

I'd give you the quote, but its lost to time. All I know is I remember it being stated that beta and the editor would be melee mode only.

Triceron
01-21-2010, 08:49 PM
War3 beta was 'melee only' but I played Custom Maps. In fact, there were some damned good RPG maps made that I have no clue to this day as to how they were made, I didn't figure the editor was released during beta.

With Blizz openly stating access to the editor, I kind of doubt you wouldn't be able to play maps. Otherwise, what's the point of editor access if you can't play the map you built?

Pandonetho
01-21-2010, 09:41 PM
Beta releases with perfect balance.

People complain.

Blizzard tweaks.

Game balance fails.

DemolitionSquid
01-21-2010, 09:50 PM
Beta releases with perfect balance.

People complain.

Blizzard tweaks.

Game balance fails.

Ah, following in DoW2's footsteps.

KadajSouba
01-22-2010, 01:01 AM
HA! - Starcraft2ism - I remember that thread. :) That, and the church of the 'Little Spinning Missile Turret Guy'

My faith needs to be restored... oh great spinning turret guy... Please tell me when the public Beta comes out...

Caliban113
01-22-2010, 01:09 AM
My faith needs to be restored... oh great spinning turret guy... Please tell me when the public Beta comes out...

Been asking all day......he just sits there and spins... :)

RedPineApple
01-22-2010, 01:58 AM
willing to bet that latency for the first week will be unplayable.

rcp181
01-22-2010, 02:15 AM
willing to bet that latency for the first week will be unplayable.Hehe, that's just how it works for MMOs :P I think SC2 should be fine in that respect, and I'm sure Blizzard is working hard to avoid any hiccups that could generate a lot of bad press.

RedPineApple
01-22-2010, 04:26 PM
Hehe, that's just how it works for MMOs :P I think SC2 should be fine in that respect, and I'm sure Blizzard is working hard to avoid any hiccups that could generate a lot of bad press.

Depends on how the game is hosted. When Diablo 2 launched with everything being completely hosted on the Bnet servers, it was a total disaster for weeks. Obviously tech has changed since 2000 as well as the cash Blizz is pulling in annually, so, I hope things run smooth.

But as far as how I am going to roll...

I just cant wait to cliff step someones mineral lines with 91827391273 colossi! :D

SaharaDrac
01-22-2010, 04:30 PM
Bolasdamas is wrong about one thing: The first Pimpest Plays candidate will be on beta day one, courtesy of yours truly.

Norfindel
01-22-2010, 08:08 PM
willing to bet that latency for the first week will be unplayable.
After the BN 2.0 delay, and all the wonders they talked about latency when it was the no-LAN announcement, it better has good latency, or they better get ready for some heated complains.

Nicol Bolas
01-22-2010, 09:17 PM
When Diablo 2 launched with everything being completely hosted on the Bnet servers, it was a total disaster for weeks.

Starcraft is a peer-to-peer multiplayer game. All Battle.Net does is record statistics (win/loss) and do match-making.

Crazy_Jonny
01-23-2010, 04:29 PM
A few things I think might happen during beta.

- Marauders get nerfed
- The Medevac should either increase in cost, or require heal to be researched (possibly in an earlier building), or heal gets nerfed.
- Macro Mechanics get downgraded somewhat.
- Immortal and disruptor get either changed stat/cost wise or get moved.

Alex06
01-23-2010, 04:55 PM
Perhaps the Raven and Ghost might get some ability modifications, and the Corruptor, Infestor, Overseer and Queen might get such changes, too.

I'm guessing the Colossus, Immortal, Marauder, Thor, Roach and Hydralisk might see some movement in the tech trees or cost-wise/buildtime-wise changes.

Perhaps we might also see the return of the Cobra, in its campaign form: The Diamondback, as an early T2 ATA Factory unit.

TwoTimer
01-24-2010, 01:58 PM
"People complain"

That still exists in Brood War 10 years+ later.

DemolitionSquid
01-24-2010, 01:59 PM
"People complain"

That still exists in Brood War 10 years+ later.

Look at that!

WHOOSH!

Aww, you missed it :(