PDA

View Full Version : Recent Facebook Update

Draco97
01-13-2010, 03:28 PM
The programming team is improving the interactive story mode for all graphic settings. Most recently, they've focused on optimizing the "High" setting.

I apologize if this was shown earlier, but I'm a bit confused with what they're saying. What's the correlation between interactive story mode and graphic settings? Obviously I'm not a programmer so bare with me, just a little confused.

Triceron
01-13-2010, 03:35 PM
I would assume 'Interactive Storymode' is the stuff that you do between missions, like controlling Jim in the Hyperion or at the bar. That probably means the programmers are optimizing the graphics engine so things work smoothly.

Draco97
01-13-2010, 03:37 PM
That makes sense, I didn't even think about controlling Raynor, I was thinking actual gameplay wise

Gradius
01-13-2010, 03:41 PM
People without really fast computers won't get the same experience as those who do i.e. textures, AA, filtering, and maybe even some extra features.

Pick
01-13-2010, 04:09 PM
Blizzard is making a game that people will probably play for 10+ years. Makes sense to add some high end graphics options even if most people can't use them yet.

I doubt the graphics team has much else to do considering they were probably on a time schedule to be released last November before the B-Net delays.

CWAL!

Eligor
01-13-2010, 04:20 PM
Good to know they're just working out the kinks now. Means the single-player portion is (again) close to completion. They DID postpone the game to improve on the singleplayer afterall (besides the main objective of figuring out Battle.Net). :cool:

ArcherofAiur
01-13-2010, 04:35 PM
Good thing I stole those 3D glasses from Avatar.

Pick
01-13-2010, 04:37 PM
They DID postpone the game to improve on the singleplayer afterall (besides the main objective of figuring out Battle.Net). :cool:

Really? I don't remember single player being an issue for the delays.

Although, I would assume the guys doing that work will be happy to take all the time they can get.

Triceron
01-13-2010, 04:39 PM
I kinda hope they make use of DirectX 11 for some really awesome lighting effects. They could really make the 'Interactive Storymode' look cinematic.

I really hope they let mappers/modders play with that stuff too. Imagine a full adventure game using that style of play!

DemolitionSquid
01-13-2010, 04:42 PM
The game is being delayed because of B.Net. Specifically, they're having problems with the group lobby system.

ArcherofAiur
01-13-2010, 04:47 PM
The game is being delayed because of B.Net. Specifically, they're having problems with the group lobby system.

I heard it was the in-game twitter display.

DemolitionSquid
01-13-2010, 04:48 PM
I heard it was the in-game twitter display.

Only you would believe a rumor that bad.

ArcherofAiur
01-13-2010, 04:49 PM
Only you would believe a rumor that bad.

There better be. Otherwise how am I supposed to get my updates while playing?!?!

Eligor
01-13-2010, 04:57 PM
Really? I don't remember single player being an issue for the delays.

Although, I would assume the guys doing that work will be happy to take all the time they can get.

They said they were going to take advantage of the delay and overhaul the singleplayer. Too lazy to look for the specific quote myself now, but it is out there somewhere.

Gt2slurp
01-13-2010, 05:22 PM
There better be. Otherwise how am I supposed to get my updates while playing?!?!
Yeah, and Bnet will have links to Twiter, Facebook, MySpace, Gmail, Your music folder, All other blizz game, a torrent client, a VoIP, 2 firewall, Classic Starcraft BW and your fridge.

It's true!

Ok to be on topic, environment between mission are very very rich, so they want to optimize them for the futur pc so SC2 will look cool in 10 years. It's not that important, but doing such thing via update or in the beta phase is not a good idea, considering they will balance like crazy.

Triceron
01-13-2010, 05:31 PM
You can order food from Pandaren Express too

Nicol Bolas
01-13-2010, 05:38 PM
I kinda hope they make use of DirectX 11 for some really awesome lighting effects.

Honestly, there's not really much to DX11. Yes, you get tessellation, which is nice. And you get a few other things. But your shader code is mostly unaffected. What's going to let you have "really awesome lighting effects" isn't DX11 per-se; it's the fact that DX11 hardware is faster than DX10 hardware when running the same code.

People aren't buying HD5850's because of DX11 (those who are, at any rate); they're buying them to play the games they already have.

so they want to optimize them for the futur pc so SC2 will look cool in 10 years

That's not what optimize means in this context. What they're saying is that they're making the high quality mode run faster. You optimize code to make it faster, not to make it prettier or more future-proof. Optimizations try to avoid degrading the visual experience, though.

This will let more people use high quality, thus improving how they see the game.

The_Blade
01-13-2010, 06:15 PM
Oh more possibilities to enjoy high definition seizures :D

IMAGINE ALL THE TERRIBLE TERRIBLE DAMAGE!!!

Gifted
01-13-2010, 06:18 PM
I'll simply say that Nicol is pretty much dead on this time, at least in terms of my opinion on the matter.

Hamshank
01-13-2010, 06:23 PM
These updates are just plain strange and unusual. Either they can't contain their excitement for a game that is supposed to have been in beta months ago or they want to prove they're actually working on the game.

Blazur
01-13-2010, 06:46 PM
They said they were going to take advantage of the delay and overhaul the singleplayer. Too lazy to look for the specific quote myself now, but it is out there somewhere.

Funny, they could have used their time wisely and used this delay to get all 3 campaigns released in one box. But of course that would be counter-productive to their business scheme which people have become to accept.

KillaKhan
01-13-2010, 06:52 PM
Funny, they could have used their time wisely and used this delay to get all 3 campaigns released in one box. But of course that would be counter-productive to their business scheme which people have become to accept.

Why ever would they do that? They could just sell them seperately and make more money off of them. /lol/

Santrega
01-13-2010, 07:01 PM
That's not what optimize means in this context. What they're saying is that they're making the high quality mode run faster. You optimize code to make it faster, not to make it prettier or more future-proof. Optimizations try to avoid degrading the visual experience, though.

This will let more people use high quality, thus improving how they see the game.

Technically, optimization doesn't specifically mean to make it run faster. It could be to make it more efficient or stable. That usually means it runs better, and sometimes faster, but not always. Less errors and glitches are nice too :)

Draco97
01-13-2010, 07:17 PM
*gasp*. A somewhat popular topic that was started by me :D Anyway...

Here's hoping I won't need to buy a fully new computer and I'll only need to update my processor and my video card, maybe a few other things too.

Nicol Bolas
01-13-2010, 07:57 PM
Funny, they could have used their time wisely and used this delay to get all 3 campaigns released in one box.

No, because they'd only have time to get like half of the Zerg campaign done.

Technically, optimization doesn't specifically mean to make it run faster. It could be to make it more efficient or stable.

I've never heard a programmer refer to bug fixing (ie: stability) as "optimization." But you're right, that it could be optimizing towards lowering memory requirements and such; speed isn't the only kind of efficiency. But either way, it's clearly directed at making the high quality option more accessible to people, rather than making it look better.

don
01-13-2010, 09:54 PM
The programming team is improving the interactive story mode for all graphic settings. Most recently, they've focused on optimizing the "High" setting.

I hope that means that lower graphical settings would also look relatively good.

Zahar
01-14-2010, 01:37 AM
These updates are just plain strange and unusual. Either they can't contain their excitement for a game that is supposed to have been in beta months ago or they want to prove they're actually working on the game.

That's what I think.

Blizzard know they are too quiet and that they delayed all stuff too much even by their standards, lowering the anticipation for their products.

They have to say SOMETHING otherwise people will start saying their projects (SC2 and D3 specially) are dead. You know, we had gameplay videos of SC2 3 years ago. Something whent very wrong with that development schedule.

Eligor
01-14-2010, 03:37 AM

Doubtful, considering their developing speed. Do keep in mind that with (at least) 40 minutes of in-game cinematics and around thirty missions that's a lot of material to work on. And the Zerg and Protoss campaigns could be longer or shorter considering the demands of the story. Besides, they want to do two expansions anyway.

Gifted
01-14-2010, 09:02 AM
These updates are just plain strange and unusual. Either they can't contain their excitement for a game that is supposed to have been in beta months ago or they want to prove they're actually working on the game.There was a large portion of their forum community who were starting a belief that the team was doing nothing while they were waiting for battle.net 2.0. I suspect these posts are to directly address those concerns and to provide good discussion on the matters to draw potential information/ideas from.

Funny, they could have used their time wisely and used this delay to get all 3 campaigns released in one box. But of course that would be counter-productive to their business scheme which people have become to accept.This analogy would be like suggesting to delay Final Fantasy X until Final Fantasy X2 (And an imaginary X3) is ready to come out and combining them. It would also involve combining the costs of the production into one product, so it would be a very expensive game and therefore not as accessible to those who have not built a confidence in the brand. (150ish ballpark)

(Warning: It would be appreciated if others in this discussion don't digress by saying how good or poor the games were. The circumstance that makes this analogy work is the likewise nature that both companies are known for long production cycles, both games had a large load of CGI content and the second one's single player experience had about the same content theoretically as the first one. The only difference is that Square delays on their announcements a "little" bit more than Blizzard and has a greatly reduced communication with their playerbase outside of their MMO.)

Technically, optimization doesn't specifically mean to make it run faster. It could be to make it more efficient or stable. That usually means it runs better, and sometimes faster, but not always. Less errors and glitches are nice too :)While you're technically correct in a more complete explanation, I think that the speculation can lead one to believe the reasons they're optimizing this is to improve performance and accessibility. It's my belief that you both can be right and I'd suspect the possibility that you would agreeing with that.

KillaKhan
01-14-2010, 10:37 AM
That's what I think.

Blizzard know they are too quiet and that they delayed all stuff too much even by their standards, lowering the anticipation for their products.

They have to say SOMETHING otherwise people will start saying their projects (SC2 and D3 specially) are dead. You know, we had gameplay videos of SC2 3 years ago. Something whent very wrong with that development schedule.

They should release a downloadable demo. With two or three playable missions. This would tide me over for quite a while.

ArcherofAiur
01-14-2010, 10:45 AM
Seriously, someone needs to head over to Blizzard and knock on the door. Browder's mom called me last night and she's really worried. She says she hasn't heard from Dustin in over 4 months.

Triceron
01-14-2010, 01:30 PM
She should probably subscribe to Starcraft on Twitter.