PDA

View Full Version : SteelSeries Reveals StarCraft II Keyset for their Z-board Peripheral

Gifted
01-08-2010, 11:41 AM
Full Article (http://sclegacy.com/news/23-sc2/563-steelseries-reveals-starcraft-ii-keyset-for-their-z-board-peripheral)

Godless
01-08-2010, 02:43 PM
If I was going to get a keyboard like that, I'd at least want them to spell Protoss correctly.

Gifted
01-08-2010, 02:59 PM
Well, if there's a limitation of 6 letters, I'd understand, but it looks like they could fit it there. Or match the smaller font on other parts of the keyboard. I didn't catch that ^_^

Anyone got a guess what those three racial buttons are for?

SaharaDrac
01-08-2010, 03:02 PM
Ooooooh, a hotkey preview!!!

Also, my guess is the three racial lights are so you can have custom key setups for each race. You turn on the Zerg setting/light, and your custom Zerg keys are active.

EDIT: upon further inspection, i didn't notice before racial buttons under a "macro groups" category, i only saw the lights. I really have no idea what that will do.

ArcherofAiur
01-08-2010, 03:34 PM
MACRO!

yah I want to know who signed off on those prints. Im sure thiers an explaination for why they decided they couldnt fit one more letter in for one of the most important labels and how the buyers probably wont care.....but its a bad one.

SaharaDrac
01-08-2010, 03:49 PM
MACRO!

yah I want to know who signed off on those prints. Im sure thiers an explaination for why they decided they couldnt fit one more letter in for one of the most important labels and how the buyers probably wont care.....but its a bad one.

I'm a diehard fan and I don't care.

Arkalis
01-08-2010, 03:59 PM
Archer will love this keyboard...MACRO!

And why not...it looks great. Nice design and functions but it only works for Wings of Liberty? (The name implied it)

Gifted
01-08-2010, 04:03 PM
Look up the definition of Z-boards when you can, you'll find a specific link in the article. It's a modular peripheral that allows you to attach different keysets to the base based on the game. Sincerely, not too much is different for an RTS like SC2, but if you look at their other FPS examples, you'll truly see how they change the setup.

spychi
01-08-2010, 04:32 PM
Now I know how I will spend some money. I have 2 mouse pads, now I need the keyboard, mouse and maybe a headset since I have a new Creative Fatal1ty.

Hamshank
01-08-2010, 05:20 PM
My current keyboard is just blank, no letters on anything. I have zero problems with it. I'm actually type much faster, even though I was already a touch typist. If you're going to put down the money on something like that it's going to end up slowing you down in the end. Every second counts.

Maul
01-08-2010, 09:12 PM
My god this company is desperate for money.

Gifted
01-09-2010, 01:11 AM
Now I know how I will spend some money. I have 2 mouse pads, now I need the keyboard, mouse and maybe a headset since I have a new Creative Fatal1ty.You may want to wait and see what Razer has to offer as an alternative. They look to have a 3 peice set and have had solid peripherals in the past.

My current keyboard is just blank, no letters on anything. I have zero problems with it. I'm actually type much faster, even though I was already a touch typist. If you're going to put down the money on something like that it's going to end up slowing you down in the end. Every second counts.To each their own. I know a person who I played wow arena with who chose to get a keyboard module to speed up his game. They did this for the same reason and that it worked for them. ^_^

There's a large market for this kinda thing. You'd be surprised how many people I know who bought Z-boards. Granted, they're also the people who happily spend large sums of money for their gaming hobby. It's also important to understand that they aren't desperate for money, they're considered high quality and in some cases professional gear.

For example, look at the DPI of their mice compared to the DPI of a 20 dollar mouse you find at your local electronics. You'll see significant differences. I had a high quality mouse with individual weights you could change in it so you can make it a "light" mouse or "heavy" mouse, depending on what was more comfortable for you.

trace wm
01-09-2010, 01:13 AM
good thing they've kept the Windows key

oh wait

The_Blade
01-09-2010, 01:51 AM

Or probably they are smart enough to look for something with a high theorical demand that eventually has a low market supply.

As Gifted said there's a lot of people looking to use a reasonable amount of money within the gaming industies. Some use more than others, but the general idea stays the same. As long as somethings sounds afordable or cost-effective it will have more chances to win its place in the market.

An average gamer will spend the following on games:

the game itself + any console or material required to play it + some additional content to enhance its own gameplay experience

A hardcore gamer will spend the following on games:

the game itself + any console or material required to play it + ALL the additional content to enhance its own gameplay experience + materials related to the game + materials which will improve general performance over a game

Some gamers even take this hobby as an overhead cost of their daily live such as gas, water and other public services.

Kael13
01-09-2010, 05:00 AM
I won a Z-board at a WoW levelling contest, needless to say I use my Apple Aluminium keyboard with my PC.

Z-board's tactile feedback is so off-putting.

As for the SC keyboard? It's a regular keyboard with a few battle.net shortcuts thrown in... Oh and little lights so you can be reminded of which race you're currently playing. Handy.

ArcherofAiur
01-09-2010, 11:49 AM
http://starfeeder.gameriot.com/blogs/Tasteless/Secrets-of-StarCraft-Pro-Gamers-The-competitive-keyboard

trace wm
01-09-2010, 12:11 PM
http://starfeeder.gameriot.com/blogs/Tasteless/Secrets-of-StarCraft-Pro-Gamers-The-competitive-keyboard

Wow, that's a really good blog.

n00bonicPlague
01-09-2010, 05:35 PM
PROTOSA fourth race?!?!?! WE MUST SPREAD THE WORD!!!!!!

Someone needs to design a miniature interface that allows the user to select a list of keys to disable.

Dark-Slayer
01-09-2010, 06:47 PM
Aww I want one

Gifted
01-09-2010, 08:30 PM
Archer: Yeah, I read that post a while ago, I've always been very content with Tasteless' blog and have always appreciated his content.

Maul
01-13-2010, 11:59 AM
There's a large market for this kinda thing. You'd be surprised how many people I know who bought Z-boards. Granted, they're also the people who happily spend large sums of money for their gaming hobby. It's also important to understand that they aren't desperate for money, they're considered high quality and in some cases professional gear.

For example, look at the DPI of their mice compared to the DPI of a 20 dollar mouse you find at your local electronics. You'll see significant differences. I had a high quality mouse with individual weights you could change in it so you can make it a "light" mouse or "heavy" mouse, depending on what was more comfortable for you.

Yes, it's a clever marketing gimmick and people will buy them, but they add essentially nothing to the overall StarCraft 2 experience.

I'm all for better performing hardware (I'm guessing I have one of the fastest computers on these forums) yet I wouldn't spend $10 on this keyboard let alone what they ask for it.

People still gunna buy them, though...

Zabimaru
01-13-2010, 12:33 PM
Ah, Tasteless's good old pro Keyboard blogging. I'm fine with my standard one really- when I want a change I just play on one of the many musical keyboards in my room. :p

All those race "lights" seem like they'd get annoying though...

Gifted
01-13-2010, 03:45 PM
Yes, it's a clever marketing gimmick and people will buy them, but they add essentially nothing to the overall StarCraft 2 experience.

I'm all for better performing hardware (I'm guessing I have one of the fastest computers on these forums) yet I wouldn't spend $10 on this keyboard let alone what they ask for it.

People still gunna buy them, though...Just wanted to let you know I completely agree. As I *THINK* I stated before, I would never buy a Z-board, it's not for me.

Gradius
01-13-2010, 03:53 PM
I'd never buy one either. Keyboards & mice are important though - they're your main tool for interaction with the computer, but I'd much rather spend my money on a regular high quality keyboard that will be useful for everything.

DemolitionSquid
01-13-2010, 03:55 PM
My keyboard looks exactly like the one Tasteless recommends, and it just came standard with my comp.

There can only be one conclusion: I'm an idiot SC savant.

Norfindel
01-13-2010, 08:46 PM
I have my original PC XT keyboard with XT-AT switch. 20 years and going :D