PDA

View Full Version : Okay i'll join this macro frenzy-- Macro Idea: Underground Minerals

don
12-28-2009, 12:59 AM
First, I need to introduce the idea of "proto-minerals". Proto-minerals are immature minerals that are underground. Sort of like carbon is to diamonds as proto-minerals are to starcraft minerals.

Lets say, in Starcraft 2, the races have found a way to convert proto-minerals to minerals. The idea is that there would be underground pockets of minerals in a map and each race would employ macro mechanics to harvest them.

Terrans
Call down Mule
Similar to Archers idea, but intead of harvesting a patch, the mule would land and transfrom into a drill and would harvest a set ammount of proto-minerals, then lift off for it to be processed into minerals in orbit.

Zerg
Queen Ability: Consume Proto-Minerals
The queen would travel to the area where there is underground resources and semi-burrow and "eat" proto-minerals for a set amount of time. It would then excrete a high density ball of minerals which can then be taken by a drone to a hatchery. Giving a balanced payout of minerals and/or extra larvae. A special game mechanic of this is that the "ball" can be stolen by other Zerg broods in ZvZ.

Protoss
Proto-Mineral Warp-Gate
A probe warps-in a building on top of the area where there is underground minerals (must be under pylon/warp prisim power of course). This building would then "index" minerals from underground for a set ammount of time. Typicaly the building can have about 3 indexes. A probe can then open a proto-mineral warp field inside his base near his nexus that costs 1 index. This warp-field will act like a high-yield mineral patch that will produce a set amount of minerals. It can be warped at about the same distance from the nexus as a normal mineral field can be placed. Probes can then harvest extra minerals form the patch. Once the "index" is depleted, the warp field will disapear and the PMWG will then re-index. After re-indexing, the player can then repeat the cycle. --Basically the building allows Protoss to build artificial high-yield minerals.

Special considerations
- The area where proto-mineral patches may be inside a base or in remote location. Personally id put them in the same locations as those watchtowers to facilitate middle of the map battles.
- These patches are 4x4 building units in size and can fit 1 Mule, Queen or PMWG (but map designers can make multiple patches clumped together).
- The patches can be blocked by units and buildings to prevent harvest. (Micro and harassment potential!)

ArcherofAiur
12-28-2009, 01:13 AM
Muwahaha another convert.

For the record I think underground minerals and other ideas like it have potential and deserve examination.

DemolitionSquid
12-28-2009, 06:24 AM
This idea is new and has never been shot down before.

/sarcasm.

ArcherofAiur
12-28-2009, 06:36 PM
I think I've stumbled on the solution.

The Macro Solution
Hire Chris Taylor

don
12-28-2009, 09:36 PM
At first I thought "Who that RnB singer?" (haha, I thought you meant Chris Brown!)

Hmmm.. How can he solve the Macro problem? Taking from Total Annihilation and Supreme Commander right? I haven't played Supreme Commander and I did not really get into Total Ann. (Bootlegged it then uninstalled it long ago..)

DemolitionSquid
12-28-2009, 09:40 PM
I'm thinking maybe another Chris would be more helpful.

http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/6954/1188994406433346a87dgi3.jpg

ArcherofAiur
12-28-2009, 10:27 PM
At first I thought "Who that RnB singer?" (haha, I thought you meant Chris Brown!)

Hmmm.. How can he solve the Macro problem? Taking from Total Annihilation and Supreme Commander right? I haven't played Supreme Commander and I did not really get into Total Ann. (Bootlegged it then uninstalled it long ago..)

Chris Taylor's dream RTS is all strategy and macro gameplay. He even thinks that most current RTS games should actually be called RTT since they emphasis tactics over strategy.

Im not sure his exact formula for TA and Supreme Commander would work for Starcraft. But I imagine he could bring a whole new set of macro perspectives to the table :D

don
12-28-2009, 11:19 PM
Well I don't know about TA and Supreme Commander but what I aim for my original post was to kinda mix in the macro into the micro.

I imagine players having to fight over the Proto-Mineral patches for that slight advantage similar to what those Yellow Minerals bring into the game. I want the map makers to put the patches in the middle of the map, bringing some of the macro work in the middle/outside the base and force skirmishes.

Normal Gas and Mineral mining would be like the "Constant" resources in Total Annihilation, while the macro mechanics would be the "Risky" resources.

Each Race would have to work around these risks to win.

For Terrans, mules can be intercepted and the whole bulk of your bonus minerals will be lost until you can cast Calldown again. I imagine, to balance this, the time between Calldowns should be long enough so that 3-5 unsuccessful Calldowns can cost you a game.

The Zerg's digested minerals may be stolen if you don't defend the drones that carries them. In ZvP and ZvT, the idea would be to keep your queen alive and take care in harvesting the digested minerals which can be hidden by the other race's workers. While in ZvZ, 1 player can risk not making a queen and just steal the digested minerals of the enemy queen. This can bring a sort of "Capture the Flag" dynamic to Zerg games.

The Protoss would need to maintain a Pylon or a W.Prisim to power its PMWG, both of which are irreparable structures. Warp in would be especially important to defend the structures which I imagine map makers will place in open fields. The presence of a pylon would also encourage Protoss players to build static defenses in the middle of the map, taking advantage that they are the only race with a GtA and GtG tower.