PDA

View Full Version : BLUE -- some info about the Infestor's "Neural Parasite"

n00bonicPlague
05-19-2009, 01:54 PM
Source: Question about the Infestor's Neural Parasite (http://forums.battle.net/thread.html?topicId=17223063667&sid=3000)

Can you cast it on a neutral critter and if so will the critter still be neutral to the enemy even if you control it?
It would provide a nice scout for ~10sec or so whatever the time is on the ability.

Also, if you target a worker will you be able to construct buildings?
If the ability is timed then i could see the SCV switching sides mid building, but Drones and Probes wouldn't have that problem.
If you control a critter it switches to your side. So it would be targetable.

You can build buildings with parasited units. The SCV case is a bit of a challenge (though you could just parastie him again mid-build) but the Protoss and Zerg work easily enough.

Eligor
05-19-2009, 02:20 PM
So you can still acquire an additional army just like in Brood War? Cool! :)

Hammy
05-19-2009, 02:28 PM
It's sort of lame that can't effectively make terran buildings, but you can do so with protoss (and zerg, but that's irrelevant since it's a zerg spell). Even in a game where you're completely fooling around it'll be pretty tough to make an SCV build a CC by re-parasiting it again and again.
This isn't a big deal when it comes to competitive play of course, since remaking a tech tree from scratch would be too demanding anyways, but it would be nice to only let units switch back when they're not "casting" or "building" something. That would let an SCV finish building whatever it's working on before swtiching back.

PsiWarp
05-19-2009, 03:12 PM
They should just remove the power to construct buildings for any worker with the Neural Parasite buff, seems slightly awkward ^_^

Also, questions regarding transportation during parasite:
1) What happens if an neural parasited unit reverts back to enemy control inside your own transport,
2) What happens if you parasite an enemy transport with units in them?
3) What happens if you load your unit in a parasited transport, and it reverts back?

This has Glitches written all over it :P

-Psi

MattII
05-19-2009, 03:50 PM
You've got some good points there Psi. Personally I feel they ought to make it so that the effect is permanent, but the units lose some of their abilities (Build/Repair and Warp among them, though Morph can stay because that's not much different than bringing your own Drones).

Zabimaru
05-19-2009, 03:55 PM
Psi’s points does make this ability seem very clumsy.

ManaPirate
05-19-2009, 04:00 PM
Perhaps if it were to slowly take control of a unit over time, like it needs time to to fully infect the nervous system. (computer?) Maybe right after infection it can only move, then ten seconds later it can attack, then some time after it regains abilities one by one? That gives the enemy time to kill their ex-SCV before it starts mindlessly pumping out zombie marines...

RainbowToeSocks
05-19-2009, 04:00 PM
Well psi.. heres what I think

1. once its dropped off the unit is enemy control, so parasite enemy units, put them in a transport and hide it away. Enemy loses a unit but its not dead so its still in their pop. count.

2. If you do that... then you control their transport for a bit and can move them away from the battle field but the enemies inside are still enemies so if you unload them they will attack you

3. Same as the first one kinda.. your units are stuck in an enemy ship until they unload them or the transport dies

SIMPLE

could make for some unique situations with harass drops

Zabimaru
05-19-2009, 04:10 PM
2. If you do that... then you control their transport for a bit and can move them away from the battle field but the enemies inside are still enemies so if you unload them they will attack you

Then the best thing to do with this is take control of the transport then kill it, killing the units inside.

MattII
05-19-2009, 04:12 PM
Then the best thing to do with this is take control of the transport then kill it, killing the units inside.

That'd work, though in a combat situation it'd be better to run it over the enemy's defences and let him take care of it.

PsiWarp
05-19-2009, 05:41 PM
A more simple solution is to disable "Build" and "Load/Unload", while retaining "Capacity/Cargo". Since without Load/Unload, units may not enter or exit the transport, but they still exist inside it.

Perhaps even your own transport may not load a neural parasited unit, thus cannot unload it.

-Psi

Norfindel
05-19-2009, 09:04 PM
They should just remove the power to construct buildings for any worker with the Neural Parasite buff, seems slightly awkward ^_^
Well, one possibility is to assume that the enemy worker uses enemy materials, because nobody noticed it was NP, and that the resulting building is under enemy control after being built. It could be used to cause some problems into enemy bases, like doing manner Pylon to the enemy, or bullshit like that, but after 10 seconds, the enemy player should be able to cancel the building (or let it finish).

1) What happens if an neural parasited unit reverts back to enemy control inside your own transport,
If we assume that enemy units aren't free to do anything while inside a transport (Overlord: inside ventral sack, Phase Prism: turned into energy, Medivac Dropship: mmm... maybe inside an individual quick-drop module?). That would allow you to say that the units could be unloaded at any time.

Assuming the same than in point 1. You can unload the units and move the transport, and even load your own units.

3) What happens if you load your unit in a parasited transport, and it reverts back?
The same than in 1, but with roles inverted.

I think that's the most sane thing to do, or at least the most sane i can think about.

Santrega
05-19-2009, 10:00 PM
If the ability stays, I want the ability to build with the workers. I'd much rather have a different ability all together though. I don't like how the infester turned into a defiler with mind control. Temporary mind control at that...

Nicol Bolas
05-19-2009, 10:03 PM
I don't like how the infester turned into a defiler with mind control.

Huh? You act like Fungal Infestation was the heart and sole of of the Infestor. It's just one ability. And Neural Parasite is far more interesting than FI ever was. At least it's more interesting than the "does damage" that FI was.

RamiZ
05-20-2009, 02:03 AM
Huh? You act like Fungal Infestation was the heart and sole of of the Infestor. It's just one ability. And Neural Parasite is far more interesting than FI ever was. At least it's more interesting than the "does damage" that FI was.

I disagree, since FI was unique and original ability, and Neural Parasite is just temporary Mind-control of Dark Archon from SC BW....I found nothing intersting about NP, yeah it is useful, but still FI, at least for me, was way better ability.

n00bonicPlague
05-20-2009, 02:08 AM
Yeah, I like Fungal Infestation better. Neural Parasite isn't as cool.

Zeratul_101
05-21-2009, 12:49 PM

This has Glitches written all over it :P

-Psi

1) the unit dies
2) the transported units die
3) your units die

i don't see the problem...

scorpio19
05-21-2009, 01:48 PM
I think sc2p Q&A coming...

http://209.85.135.132/translate_c?hl=tr&ie=UTF-8&sl=zh-CN&tl=en&u=http://bbs.sgamer.com/html/Post_263802.html&prev=_t&rurl=translate.google.com&usg=ALkJrhiW-Qb7WuVO0ekPiBpEjYOs9uO2Ag

n00bonicPlague
05-21-2009, 02:09 PM
I think sc2p Q&A coming...

http://209.85.135.132/translate_c?hl=tr&ie=UTF-8&sl=zh-CN&tl=en&u=http://bbs.sgamer.com/html/Post_263802.html&prev=_t&rurl=translate.google.com&usg=ALkJrhiW-Qb7WuVO0ekPiBpEjYOs9uO2AgThat's done been done:

http://sc2pod.com/news/Fan_Site_QA_3__SC2Pod/