PDA

View Full Version : [Idea] Possible Solution for Roach Regeneration

mr. peasant
05-19-2009, 01:16 PM
Of all the Zerg units, the Roach is probably the most controversial in terms of its game balance. Some argue that the Roach's regeneration is set too high (if at 15 hit points/second with a +10 hit points/second upgrade), making it too difficult to kill. However, setting the regeneration too low would make it pointless.

My suggestion is for the Roach to take after the Void Ray's attack mechanic and use a variable rate that increases over time. For instance, it initially regenerates at 5/second and increases to 10/second after 5 seconds and peaks at 20/second after another 2 increments, 5 seconds each (15 seconds in total). For its upgrade, the time between increments would be shortened to 3 seconds with a maximal regeneration of 30/second.

Using this model, players have a brief window of opportunity to kill a Roach easily. However, if they don't finish the job, the Roach will become much tougher to kill and might even recover fully. Additionally, it introduces a dilemma for the player in deciding whether it would be better to simply let the Roach recover fully, thereby causing regeneration to reset, or to fight against the high regeneration rate.

Pandonetho
05-19-2009, 01:46 PM
Additionally, it introduces a dilemma for the player in deciding whether it would be better to simply let the Roach recover fully, thereby causing regeneration to reset, or to fight against the high regeneration rate.

This is a dilemma how?

RamiZ
05-19-2009, 03:48 PM
This is a dilemma how?
LOL :P I have to agree with Wolf on this one :D i mean how? If you let him to recover fully, regen will reset, but when you start damaging Roach again, Regen will start to grow again :D so i dont see dilemma, just a Roach that is even Harder to kill ^^

ArcherofAiur
05-19-2009, 03:51 PM
^ OMG its RamiZ the Roach!!!. Quick kill it!

mr. peasant
05-19-2009, 03:52 PM
This is a dilemma how?

Since the heal rate varies, this leads to situations where it might be more productive (and possibly even quicker) to let the Roach fully recover before attacking it again and vice versa. Additionally, there would be times when it would be better to wait for reinforcements to arrive before engaging the Roach.

These situations add a learning curve around countering (as well as using) the Roach as mastering this requires good math, a quick assessment of other possible targets and the micromanagement to pull it off.

ArcherofAiur
05-19-2009, 04:02 PM
These situations add a learning curve around countering (as well as using) the Roach as mastering this requires good math, a quick assessment of other possible targets and the micromanagement to pull it off.

Prove it. Model the mechanic.

RamiZ
05-19-2009, 04:41 PM
^ OMG its RamiZ the Roach!!!. Quick kill it!
I dont see point in this post at all....

MattII
05-19-2009, 04:46 PM
Personally I think it's a worse idea than the fixed regen we already have.

areese87
05-19-2009, 05:19 PM
I actually like this idea. It can have some neat strategies. Cool.

mr. peasant
05-19-2009, 05:31 PM
Prove it. Model the mechanic.

Very well...

EXAMPLE A

For instance, you encounter an enemy Roach and your forces deal 16 damage/second (versus Roach) with reinforcements ETA in 15 seconds. With the current regeneration mechanic, it's always better to just attack right away. With my idea, it's better to wait for reinforcements to arrive since:

At 16 d/s, the Roach takes damage at 11 d/s for 5 seconds (total: 55), another 6 d/s for the next 5 seconds (total: 30) and 1 d/s for the following 5 seconds (total: 5) before reinforcements arrive. At this point, the Roach still has 10 hit points with regeneration of 20/second where as your forces deal 20 d/s. You can't kill the Roach because regeneration is at maximum.

If you waited for reinforcements to arrive, your 20 d/s would successfully kill the Roach in 8 seconds (before regeneration reaches maximum).

EXAMPLE B

If a Roach has 50 hit points and its (upgraded) regeneration is at 30/second while your forces deal 35 d/s (5 d/s once regeneration is subtracted), it would take 10 seconds to kill the Roach. Letting it fully heal and its regeneration reset (2 seconds) before attacking it again kills it in a total of 5 seconds. It's quicker.

However, if the situation was the same but the Roach had 20 hit points, it'd be quicker to just continue attacking the Roach (4 seconds as opposed to 6 seconds).

Norfindel
05-19-2009, 05:56 PM
I think that limiting the regeneration rate if damaged would be better. That way, the Zerg player can do something to take advantage.
With this mechanic, it all depends on the attacker. If he kills the Roaches before the faster regeneration kicks in, they will be easy to kill, if not, they will be way difficult to kill. It's not clear if it's better for the Zerg player to move the Roaches back or not, that would depend on the amount of fire they're taking, and if they can survive enough time.

mr. peasant
05-19-2009, 06:11 PM
If the best choice is immediately obvious, there wouldn't be much of a learning curve now, would it? ;)

ArcherofAiur
05-19-2009, 06:17 PM
I dont see point in this post at all....

Your icon is a roach. And your posting in a thread about roaches. And your name starts with R. And and its iro...

:(

nevermind

Very well...

EXAMPLE A

For instance, you encounter an enemy Roach and your forces deal 16 damage/second (versus Roach) with reinforcements ETA in 15 seconds. With the current regeneration mechanic, it's always better to just attack right away. With my idea, it's better to wait for reinforcements to arrive since:

At 16 d/s, the Roach takes damage at 11 d/s for 5 seconds (total: 55), another 6 d/s for the next 5 seconds (total: 30) and 1 d/s for the following 5 seconds (total: 5) before reinforcements arrive. At this point, the Roach still has 10 hit points with regeneration of 20/second where as your forces deal 20 d/s. You can't kill the Roach because regeneration is at maximum.

If you waited for reinforcements to arrive, your 20 d/s would successfully kill the Roach in 8 seconds (before regeneration reaches maximum).

EXAMPLE B

If a Roach has 50 hit points and its (upgraded) regeneration is at 30/second while your forces deal 35 d/s (5 d/s once regeneration is subtracted), it would take 10 seconds to kill the Roach. Letting it fully heal and its regeneration reset (2 seconds) before attacking it again kills it in a total of 5 seconds. It's quicker.

However, if the situation was the same but the Roach had 20 hit points, it'd be quicker to just continue attacking the Roach (4 seconds as opposed to 6 seconds).

I was thinking like a Warcraft 3 map with this ability on a unit or something. But I like the effort.

RamiZ
05-20-2009, 02:06 AM
Your icon is a roach. And your posting in a thread about roaches. And your name starts with R. And and its iro... LOL :D :D :D You just made my day! ^^