PDA

View Full Version : Happy 2-year anniversary of SC2 announcement!

Blazur
05-19-2009, 07:25 AM
Today marks the 2-year anniversary of the announcement of SC2 in Seoul, Korea. And while we're moments away from the beta, let us all take a moment and reflect on how much has changed with the game since the day many of us first saw the game.

What were you doing for the announcement? Having gotten clued into the games existence and ultimate announcement weeks ahead, I rounded a group of friends for an all-night gaming session of SC1. We mostly played a custom map that my buddy made. For 5 minutes we were able to build up forces without crossing a middle line. After 5 minutes that barriers would drop and we could attack for 5 minutes. After that time any units left across the median would be destroyed.

We gamed until roughly 1am. When we were finished my buddy sent me a message stating "It's here...they announced StarCraft 2!". I had just enough time to watch the announcement video before passing out from exhaustion.

After following this game almost daily for 2 years I can't believe its almost upon us. I hope many of us get the opportunity to meet up for some gaming at some point in the near future.

Perfecttear
05-19-2009, 07:50 AM
Hell it's about two years.

Freespace
05-19-2009, 10:04 AM
Hell, it's not done yet.

Two years ago, I remember watching every day as the countdown counted ... down. The morning I woke up and saw Starcraft 2 on the screen, I hit the table so hard with my hand ( in one of those "hell yeah!!" moments ) that it hurt for about 3 months. :p

GRUNT
05-19-2009, 10:47 AM
For a Blizzard game, going into Beta a little over 2 years since the announcement just doesn't 'feel' right o_0.

Eligor
05-19-2009, 11:15 AM
For a Blizzard game, going into Beta a little over 2 years since the announcement just doesn't 'feel' right o_0.

Actually, not true, judging by all previous games the time is about right (StarCraft went into beta in a bit less than 2 years after the announcement): http://starcraft.incgamers.com/articles/comments/a-timeline-of-blizzard-releases-and-betas/P1/

All in all, I had a hunch it was going to be StarCraft II back then, but was still struck with a rather strong feeling of unreality upon opening (the then new) official site and beholding the logo. Of course I went to watch the videos and gameplay demos straightaway, and it all kept feeling rather weird for quite a long time afterwards (I think I really got used to the idea that yes, they're really making StarCraft II only by the time BlizzCon 2007 rolled over).

Those two years went surprisingly fast, but then I'd been pretty busy with divers stuff. I'd happily drink to the occasion, but there's no beer in the fridge. Still, here's to StarCraft 2! *raises imaginary mug* And may we have the Beta soon enough. :cool:

Zigurd
05-19-2009, 12:16 PM
It's taking them way too long for something that wont change RTS gameplay as we know it. Most of the changes done so far have been extremely minor, I have no clue why it took them so long.

Pandonetho
05-19-2009, 12:18 PM
I didn't really go on the internet much before so I didn't get many clues as to SC2 being announced.

When it really was announced it just hit me like a hammer. I must've watched the demos at least a thousand times by now.

Caliban113
05-19-2009, 01:13 PM
Oh, I totally remember that countdown. There was a lot of speculation, but I always knew for sure it was going to be SC2.....I mean, after all, it was Korea; if they had announced DIII or WCIV, Those Blizz guys would have barely escaped with their lives.

I was on a ferry headed to Marin County and remembered that the WWI announcement had likely already been made - I only had a Treo with me, but decided to use it to check the site anyway....it took like 5 minutes to load up, but then finally, 'BAM' there it was - the now infamous SC2 logo..(in all its 1.80 inch glory)..the Treo wasn't able to open or view anything else, (and screenshots from other sites would only open up into a half-inch thumbnail) but I couldn't believe after all these years, that the sequel to my fav-game-of-all-time was announced, and finally getting under way.

I will never forget that.

Just when I thought I couldn't be more blown away, I watched the 20 minute demo Monday am back at work, and it was all over.....just awesome....The Colossus...Banelings....Reapers.....unbelievable.

Cant believe it's been two years. Prolly another 6-8 months from here too...

DemolitionSquid
05-19-2009, 03:55 PM
I was sitting here at my computer, working on a project for college. I watched as the video streamed from Korea of WWI, waiting. And suddenly... there he was. Tychus, getting fitted into his suit. The music, so epic.

And it was beautiful. And I wept.

MattII
05-19-2009, 04:10 PM
Three cheers for all, especially those of us who were around before the announcement.

spychi
05-19-2009, 04:16 PM
I watched the first cinematic 1000 times that day and for the rest of the may and june I was like omfg omfg omfg omfg SC2 SC2.
I remember few months before the WWI Blizzard said that they are not working on SC2 and the rumors are false and not true.

HellishProphet
05-19-2009, 08:03 PM
Three cheers for all, especially those of us who were around before the announcement.

here here! For the true fans

I watched the first cinematic 1000 times that day and for the rest of the may and june I was like omfg omfg omfg omfg SC2 SC2.
I remember few months before the WWI Blizzard said that they are not working on SC2 and the rumors are false and not true.

I wept when they said it was false :'(. But if they lie to us about that....who knows what else.

I watched that movie god knows how many times and i told my sc friends and they all flipped shit. Hell jordan, he popped open a bottle of Capt M. he was so happy

Noise
05-19-2009, 08:51 PM
I got back from a day at uni or something like that and my house mate says "They've announced Starcraft 2." I said "Pfff yeah another one of those rumors right? I am sick of hearing about shit like that." "No, really!" Then I looked and watched that fucking cinematic and it was glorious. And I still haven't played the bastard.

spychi
05-20-2009, 02:56 AM
I wept when they said it was false :'(. But if they lie to us about that....who knows what else.

I think that SC:Ghost isn't closed.

sandwich_bird
05-20-2009, 12:57 PM
I remember few months before the WWI Blizzard said that they are not working on SC2 and the rumors are false and not true.Same thing here.

Crazy_Jonny
05-20-2009, 02:05 PM
"Hell, its about time"

When I saw this I was like... what? About time for more waiting if thats what you mean!

But in all seriousness, I sure hope I wont be seeing a 3rd anniversary post around here.

Freespace
05-20-2009, 05:47 PM
But in all seriousness, I sure hope I wont be seeing a 3rd anniversary post around here.

Amen to that!

Alex06
05-20-2009, 07:09 PM
Hah, I remember...I waited online all night until 3 AM to hear about SC2 being announced...And when I saw IGN's live blog...I read the description of the video and felt like "it could be anything...But sounds like StarCraft somewhat...". Then I read "StarCraft 2 is officially announced". I went like "OH MY F***ING GOD.", it was crazy. I kept reading on, about new units, it felt somewhat surreal in a way...And I looked for screenshots and videos. No videos were working for me, they were probably down due to all the traffic, and the fact they were on Korean websites. I saw some photos of the presentation though, and boy was it awesome at that time. I like how SC2 evolved up until now, and can't wait to finally get to play it later this year. (or the next one, if I can't play the beta or if it comes out in 2010)

It felt surreal that they were gonna announce SC2...And for the next few weeks after the announcement, it still felt that way...Somewhat surrreal that SC2 was finally coming out.

viperjo
05-20-2009, 08:27 PM
If that timeline is anything to go by then we're looking at about a beta period of 6-8 months and a few more months oof time before the beta kicks off. I'm sticking to the beta not starting before october this year.

Freespace
05-20-2009, 08:46 PM
Sure it sucks to wait so long for this, and we all want to get our hands on it ( some people for the lore, some people for the cinematics, some people for the multiplayer mayhem ). But the later it comes, the better it will be. I say it's definitely worth the wait, because once it's out we have it for the rest of our lives. Heh, or until SC3 comes out.

Gradius
05-20-2009, 08:50 PM
Heh. My discovery of the SC2 announcement was much simpler. Remembering that there was some sort of countdown on the Blizzard site I was vaguely interested & decided to go check it out. Turns out StarCraft II has been announced. Hmm, I thought to myself, staring blankly at the monitor, well that's kewl.

....and that's when I lost it. :0

Wayward Meteor
05-20-2009, 08:56 PM
When I saw this I was like... what? About time for more waiting if thats what you mean!

That's what I thought. "Oh great, I hope they release this by the time my future children are my age"