PDA

View Full Version : What if Supply would be removed

Perfecttear
12-02-2009, 07:38 PM
I have a hypothetical question for you guys. I'm wondering what would hapen if the supply system would be removed from the game. Meaning that you wouldn't have to build supply depots or pylons or overlords for building more units. How would that efect the game, if when you start the game the avaible supply would alredy be 200 ? Is it something esential to the game, or does it only slow down the game and provides supply block ? I mean there are many other rts that have no population/supply system.

The_Blade
12-02-2009, 07:46 PM
Terrans and zerg would be OP as they won't need to waste 100mins on a pylon ^^

Perfecttear
12-02-2009, 08:28 PM
Terrans and zerg would be OP as they won't need to waste 100mins on a pylon ^^
Theoreticaly the protoss also wouldn't need to build any pylons, there buildings would just have to be a bit more tightly packed :p, as for my question lets just say the pylon would cost 25 minerals, the same as the creep tumor used to.
So if that would be case, how would the game played out. I mean all of the C&C games never had any supply sytem and i have never feld an urge for one in those games, so could starcraft survive without it ?

Norfindel
12-02-2009, 09:36 PM
Protoss need Pylons for power.

Macro actions would fall to nearly non-existant levels, only having to build tech/production buildings, and expand.
Mineral use would decrease, but not too much (2000 minerals at much).
Build orders wouldn't have anything to base their numbering :p
One less point of attack.

Maybe it can, maybe it cannot. I don't know, but would remove some interesting stuff.

Blazur
12-02-2009, 11:21 PM
The game would suck.
/thread

sandwich_bird
12-03-2009, 03:43 PM
This belongs more in the BW section than off topic. Share some love to our almost dead BW forum :)

ArcherofAiur
12-03-2009, 03:56 PM
/BW forum

JK

Perfecttear
12-03-2009, 04:21 PM
This belongs more in the BW section than off topic. Share some love to our almost dead BW forum :)
I didn't dare to put such a ridicules question anywhere else than the offtopic forums :p

Kacaier
12-03-2009, 04:57 PM
This scenario would totally help me out. I always forget to build an additional supply depot/overlord/pylon, and am always dinged since I have to wait the idle time for the supply completion before I can build additional units. I could reach 100 supply easy before 8 minutes if there were no supply.

I suspect this will also help Zerg out immensely since they also don't have to protect their ovies from wayward corsairs, although the dynamic could still be there for Protoss DT strategies.

DemolitionSquid
12-03-2009, 04:58 PM
If there was no need for supply? Protoss would lose automatically everytime.

Spartan
12-03-2009, 05:10 PM
No supply = turtle every game.

Pandonetho
12-03-2009, 05:55 PM
Terrans would by far benefit the most (if we're talking SC1 here) from not having to build useless buildings that take up space.

Protoss would still need to waste 100 minerals just to get their first gateway.

n00bonicPlague
12-04-2009, 12:33 PM
Terrans would pwn like crazy. Zerg would still need Overlords for mobile detection and transport. Protoss would still need Pylons for powering buildings. Anyway, if you wanna test what this would kinda be like, just play against some computers in single player mode and use the cheat "food for thought".

Also, who the hell is "Suppy"?

Perfecttear
12-04-2009, 12:48 PM
Also, who the hell is "Suppy"?

Guess you don't know him ;)

http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/9554/mrsupply.jpg

I hate gramer nazis!

n00bonicPlague
12-04-2009, 01:50 PM
Guess you don't know him ;)

http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/9554/mrsupply.jpg

I hate gramer nazis! lulz

And BTW, that's spelling nazi, and it's spelled G-R-A-M-M-A-R. :D

ArcherofAiur
12-04-2009, 03:36 PM
Is it too much to ask for discussion of gameplay that goes alittle deeper than just what balance would be thrown off?

You know maybe people could touch on why Starcraft has supply in the first place.

SuperKiller
12-04-2009, 08:23 PM
"you must construct additional pylons" just wouldn't be catchy without supply now would it?

Starcraft has supply because warcraft had supply. the very original warcraft had supply. Unless someone else can point it out, supply was a blizzard idea from the very beginning of their RTS games.

The_Blade
12-04-2009, 09:52 PM
"you must construct additional pylons" just wouldn't be catchy without supply now would it?

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/C5e6eG6bXAQ&hl=es_MX&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/C5e6eG6bXAQ&hl=es_MX&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

ArcherofAiur
12-05-2009, 12:52 AM

Starcraft has supply because warcraft had supply. the very original warcraft had supply. Unless someone else can point it out, supply was a blizzard idea from the very beginning of their RTS games.

So you think there is no other reason other than Warcraft did it?

Pandonetho
12-05-2009, 01:23 PM
Uh, has anyone ever thought about the fact that Starcraft already has problems even WITH supply, with maxing out the unit count that the game can handle? There you go, that's your reason.

The_Blade
12-05-2009, 01:26 PM
Actually the zerg may produce an infinite amount of overlords.

I did maxed out a phantom map by miself using this tactic and a lot of hatcheries spawning larvae. While the other guys had like 5 bcs and the ocational marines. Funny as hell.

ArcherofAiur
12-05-2009, 02:23 PM
Uh, has anyone ever thought about the fact that Starcraft already has problems even WITH supply, with maxing out the unit count that the game can handle? There you go, that's your reason.

You mean the games ability to animate many units? I think that has more to do with max supply not the building supply mechanic.

Pandonetho
12-05-2009, 02:38 PM
Oh you're talking about the buildiy supply mechanic.

Norfindel
12-06-2009, 10:10 AM
If you want higher supply, you can play team with all player on the team of the same race. If you just leave the slots open, it also works, you can play with 4x the normal supply, that's a lot.

bigmiddy
01-23-2010, 10:17 PM
that's a lot of carriers

Lupino
03-03-2010, 12:12 PM
You would start to have something closer to Total Annihilation, which was less about twitch-fest clicking a small number of guys and more about massing huge armies and maneuvering them in the field to destroy your opponent.

ArcherofAiur
03-03-2010, 02:25 PM
You would start to have something closer to Total Annihilation, which was less about twitch-fest clicking a small number of guys and more about massing huge armies and maneuvering them in the field to destroy your opponent.

You would be surprised how similar the TA economic system is to Starcraft's supply system. IIRC the biggest thing is that Supply takes the integral instead of the rate.

Krikkitone
03-04-2010, 02:19 PM
I think it maybe designed so there is a way to hurt your forces by attacking the buildings without having to destroy every building.

Other games had power structures, which if destroyed would stop you from building units (because they powered the unit producing buildings rather than the units themselves)

This allows a distinctions between Overall unit production capacity and the Ability to build a particular unit.

Zerg probably have the closest to this distinction as their unit production building is Not a tech building... but it is their econ building so it is tied up in something else.

ArcherofAiur
03-04-2010, 05:36 PM
I think it maybe designed so there is a way to hurt your forces by attacking the buildings without having to destroy every building.

Other games had power structures, which if destroyed would stop you from building units (because they powered the unit producing buildings rather than the units themselves)

This allows a distinctions between Overall unit production capacity and the Ability to build a particular unit.

Zerg probably have the closest to this distinction as their unit production building is Not a tech building... but it is their econ building so it is tied up in something else.

Supply depots are also surprisingly similar to "generator" mechanics that other games use.

unentschieden
03-05-2010, 11:40 AM
First of all Construction Buildings would be more expensive to control Armygrowth. Also general Gamepacing would to DOWN since replacing units is now relativly more expensive. Supply is a ArmysizeTax, cost for marginal growth. With Supply replacing a unit is cheaper than building it the first Time.

Caliban113
03-05-2010, 06:57 PM
Not sure if yer out there...but....Thanks to you, Noobonic, and I guess you too, PT, the Supply room here at my work is now officially known as the 'Suppy' room. :)

Many thanks...!

dynamiK-
03-06-2010, 03:44 AM
Eh, it'd just be too fast paced. Supply management is one of the factors can help someone win a game.

Gradius
03-09-2010, 01:31 PM
Fixed the thread title. "Suppy" was driving me crazy. :P

Norfindel
03-09-2010, 01:43 PM
Fixed the thread title. "Suppy" was driving me crazy. :P

NO! ... Mister Suppy!

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b20/TheSpaniard/Joke%20Images%20etc/noooooooo.jpg

n00bonicPlague
03-10-2010, 10:01 AM
Not sure if yer out there...but....Thanks to you, Noobonic, and I guess you too, PT, the Supply room here at my work is now officially known as the 'Suppy' room. :)

Many thanks...!lol, that's some epic win right there

Fixed the thread title. "Suppy" was driving me crazy. :P_zHV9prpEco&autoplay=1