PDA

View Full Version : Random Blues FTW (11/30/09)

n00bonicPlague
11-30-2009, 12:09 PM
UPDATE 1: Added two posts to Xordiah

All of these are from the past week and up to now.

Keep an eye out for edits/updates.

Zhydaris
Source: First Person View for Replays/Observers (http://forums.battle.net/thread.html?topicId=21375979628&sid=3000)

I've always thought it would be a cool feature if you could watch replays and/or observe games from the view of the players. Your camera would move as the player moved it during the match and you could see what units are being selected and orders being issued. I think this could be an interesting way to watch a pro match and give you a better understanding of what the player is thinking and focusing on.

I haven't heard of anything like this but it could be a great simple addition.When you watch a replay (either taken from single player or multiplayer) you can actually switch from the good old ‘observer’ mode to what you’re referring to as ‘first person view’.

You will then be able to see what units are being selected (control groups included), and the camera would move exactly as the player moved it during the game, plus you will see all the commands issued by the player, rally points and queued commands (such as waypoints). Please note that the cursor itself won’t be recorded.

You will also be able to choose between several overlays which will contain useful information, like the ones you can see in the upper left corner of the Battle Reports (i.e. harvesters, units in play, units lost, APM and more).

Source: DreamHack hotstreak contest? (http://forums.battle.net/thread.html?topicId=21333735718&sid=3000)

what do you mean by hot streak contest ?The HotStreak contest is pretty much a quick free tournament.

The player will be matched up in a 1v1 match against other people who signed up for the HotStreak and he has to win 3 games in a row in order to be a winner and get some cool prizes!

Source: Hidden Battle.Net Forums Easter Egg: Founded (http://forums.battle.net/thread.html?topicId=21333628487&sid=3000)

1. Move your cursor to the dead center of your screen.
2. Hover your cursor over the Battle.net icon at the top center.
3. Move your mouse to the left.
4. Once your cursor changes from an arrow to a hand, click on it.
5. Welcome to "Create/Manage your World of Warcraft account" web page.Thank you for your post Tom!

I must point out that this is no Easter egg... it's only a bug. The link is slightly shifted to the left, yes, but it's correctly linking to the "Create or Manage a Battle.Net account".

Anyway, I forwarded this bug report to the dedicated team!

Xordiah
Source: Questions About Content Drop (http://forums.battle.net/thread.html?topicId=21333483270&sid=3000)

First off, I'd like to start by saying:

"THANK YOU!!!!"

Oh man, it was such a major relief to catch another glimpse of the work being done on this highly anticipated game. Zeratul and Raynor's profiles are absolutely amazing now, and the screenshots were fantastic. Staring at them made me hunger to play the game.... I could just imagine.

The changeling story was awesome. Well-written, and longer than I expected. It was a fun read, that much is certain. Boy oh boy, the changelings are creepy though. I watched the little video of the overlords popping them out and I was like "UGH!" and then i watched them morph into marines and i was like "UGH!!!!!!!!!!" xD

It was pretty funny. The zerg get creepier and creepier all the time.

The new artwork was thrilling as well. I was particularly excited to see Zeratul's ship, the Void Seeker. Never having known what it looked like before, I pictured like, a carrier...except black...or something XD

It's nice to have an actual model now.

That being said, there's a couple questions I have. Where is the luv for Artanis? *laughs* That's the big one.

Where is his hero biography? How come Tychus got one before the Hierarch of the Protoss Protectorate? How come SELENDIS has a picture up, and Artanis doesn't have even a portrait or sketchy concept art?

I'm not complaining, really... I'm very very happy with the updates we got. I was THRILLED to see any updates at all, and much more so to see so many that were so AWESOME.....

I just really want to see more of Artanis. If he's such a big player in SC 2, why is there so little about him? He's one of my fave characters, and I am excedingly excited to see how he'll look with his new SC 2 makeover. Everyone else looks outstanding *points to Zeratul and Raynor* They look different, but absolutely amazing... So I assume Artanis will look a little different as well...and I just wanna know HOW he looks.

Anyways. Sorry if I'm being a pest, Blizzard ppl ^^;

I just really want some answers ><Also keep in mind, that Wings of Liberty is focussed around the Terran storyline - even though we have a Protoss mini campaign in the game, you will learn a lot more about the Terran heros. This why it is good to introduce them to players who have not followed their every step the last years - or in Tychus' case, introduce him in general.

Source: A serious Question! I need to know. (http://forums.battle.net/thread.html?topicId=21375981328&sid=3000)

Blizzard if you can read this... Will you be selling a huge book about map editing or making a video series on how you can make your own scrips and many other advanced mind boggling stuff?

Because I wanna make many wicked games like 3rd person puzzle games to board games to whatever my mind can come up with. But I need the knowledge to do so. So will there be a book or video series teaching how to do so?

If not then I will study the map editor till my eyes bleed and make a book or video series and sell it to you so you can sell it to others so that many will learn the ways of the editor and then we will see many great maps and games.If you want to start any business or sell a product based on our franchises and products, then you should get in contact with our licensing department: merchandiselicensing@blizzard.com

If you just want to spend some time on detailed guides and videos and offer them to the community online at no cost, there are quite a few sites that would be happy to help you put these online and we are also happy to feature good quality content in a community spotlight or similar on our website.

Source: Player Limit Raised !!! Proof! (http://forums.battle.net/thread.html?topicId=21376270782&sid=3000)

1st of all thanks to Dav_ for posting this video on forum :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDLOfIDi2N4

when video reaches 1:00 u see that there are 16 spots
although only 2 players and 14 obsorvers this defenently means
the player cap was raised to 16! or atleast obsorvers =DActually, no. As mentioned those are only observer spots. The player limit is still 8 players. :)

Source: Any changes to the Toss as of late? (http://forums.battle.net/thread.html?topicId=21333748128&sid=3000)

Just wondering how my favorite race is doing. : )
It's doing great actually. Quite a few changes since the last build we are still showing at events that make the gameplay a lot more interesting. I am sure we will talk more in detail about it in the future. Can't wait for beta to get your feedback on it.

Source: Terran, mech or infantry?currently unbalanced (http://forums.battle.net/thread.html?topicId=21333888653&sid=3000)

I played SC2 many hours every day at DH Winter 09, nov 26-29.

I played almost only Terran.

I think that the game was really really great and i long alot for the beta to be launched. However i was a bit disappointed by how the terrans worked. The infantry is really strong. Actually i went a build with 2 pretty early barracks, one with tech lab and one with reactor, making marauders from one, and marines from one. when i had about 8-10 marines and 3-4 marauders i would attack the protoss. I did not fail once with this build, however i realize that it is probably defendable if you rly see it coming pretty early. But as i said i didnt lose once.

I also tried quick hellions for harassment vs both protoss and zerg. Against protoss it worked sometimes, depending on whether the toss had gotten a stalker yet or not. But vs zerg it didnt rly work since all good zergs had already gotten hydralisks (although hellions are better vs hydra than vulture is vs hydra if you tank with infantry since hellions do lots of dmg vs hydras while vultures do not).

I also tried rushing reapers with stim and d-8 charges vs zerg. It was LOL. could not lose. i could get 4-6 reapers and win with them. The only way the zerg could defend was if the had rly good micro vs the charges or 2+ spine crawlers. Even if the zerg had 10+ hydras and 10+ lings i could easily stim up a cliff, drop 6 charges in the zerg minerallines, blow up 90% of the drones, snipe the remaining 10%. and get out with losing at most 2-4 reapers. (reapers cost 75/50 and builds fast).

And basicly marauders and marines with medivacs late took both zerg and toss, with some assistance from mech or air units.

However almost every time i skipped rax units and went straight for factory units i lost (and not because i was run over b4 i had gotten an army). I tried mass rush hellions. i tried tankwall&turret push. i tried thor/tank, thor/hellion, tank/hellion. i tried macro games with tank/turret def and i tried games with dual armorys for quick upps. but i almost always lost. I also know about 10 other ppl who played alot every day who said the exact same thing. We discussed ways around this but we always came to the same conclusion. However of course there is dropcheeses with hellions and stuff that would work on occasion, or if you simply were a better player, or did something they didnt see coming etc etc.

Oh btw currently in TvT its mass air until someone succeeds in getting exansions and resources for thors and its gg. (banshee -> vikings -> thors -> win. Since banshee pwns tanks, hellions and barracks units.)

I tried alot more than these tactics but i dont feel like writing down the details of every single game and the small differences between them.

My point is that infantry is the base of every terran game besides tvt atm. Factory units are great for support but a mech army vs toss or zerg like in SC1 is a lose strategy.

This is however just mine and the other ppl i played with at dreamhacks experiences and that we only played the game for 3 days. I also would like to say that i am not worried though as i believe that everything will be fixed during the beta testing period.

Finally i would like to say that i wrote this to give the community some info about the current state of the game, but also to show people why Blizzard is postponing the game so much; they simply want to ensure that the game is flawless when they release it. Last but not least, the game in general was fkin awesome. I was happy to find out that many of the bad rumors of the gameplay was simply just rumors, and even though i was one of those ppl who thought the game would be completely awesome, i was extremely positively surprised.

Dont hesitate do ask something about the game or this topic, and i already know that i write long sentances with many commas.

<3
Glad you enjoyed DreamHack and especially gald you enjoyed StarCraft 2. Thanks for your feedback, though I have to put in a disclaimer, the build you played is from BlizzCon, so several months old and quite a bit has changed since then. These events are a bit more to give you an impression on how this game "feels" and not to let you get your build orders for release and figure out the best tactics.

And since you are one of the lucky players to win a beta key, you will have ample opportunity to give your feedback at that time where a lot of the balancing will still be ongoing. :)

Cydra
Source: Starcraft II Comic Contest Question (http://forums.battle.net/thread.html?topicId=21251926520&sid=3000)

Apparently my country's legal age of majority is 21 so I guess I need "one of my parents or legal guardians to submit a signed, written statement that they have read, understood and agree to these Contest rules with my entry and that such agreement constitutes acceptance of these Contest rules on behalf of me and themselves"... but I don't see a way to submit such a thing at the submission page.

I've already submitted my comic a couple of weeks ago without such a written statement and now I'm thinking back and... well I'm thinking back.

How do I get my submission to be valid? Thanks.If you're under the legal age of majority, please send the signed, written statement by one of your parents or legal guardians to blizzardcontest@blizzard.com.

Pandonetho
11-30-2009, 12:12 PM
A couple of interesting things, good to hear some of it "confirmed."

Thanks n00b.

n00bonicPlague
11-30-2009, 01:24 PM
Just added two posts from Xordiah.

She says that the Protoss have been through many changes since last build and responds to someone who attended DreamHack.

Blazur
11-30-2009, 02:01 PM
This was taken directly from the Twitter site.

The #StarCraft2 (http://twitter.com/search?q=%23StarCraft2) balance team is experimenting with new protoss macro mechanics.This is good news for Protoss players :)
Too bad that's all we've got for now...

DemolitionSquid
11-30-2009, 02:04 PM
Praise the almighty invisible flying spaghetti monster!

Norfindel
11-30-2009, 02:16 PM
Well, it's good they're responding something, and seem to be moderating the forum more (moved posts, title edits, etc).

Yes! They're working on the Protoss macro mechanics! I hope they make something fun.