PDA

View Full Version : Broodlord Model

XSOLDIER
11-29-2009, 06:27 PM
I've been thinking a lot about the Zerg's evolutions lately. The Overseer as still easily recognisable as a mutation of the Overlord. Banelings still bears some resemblance to the Zergling, and the Lurker's have similarities to the Hydralisk, but I've been looking over the model for the Broodlord, and it just doesn't look anything like a Corruptor, and still bears a lot of resemblance the the Mutalisk's old evolution the (Swarm) Guardian.

Overall, I'm wondering if anyone else feels the same way about the unit right now. I think that it could do with a makeover, because the Corruptor's a really new, unique unit visually, and I think that the Broodlord could benefit from a more unique look.

X :cool:

ArcherofAiur
11-29-2009, 06:28 PM
I noticed that as well. The mouth splits in the middle. I was actually just going to start a thread on it but you beat me too it. I am also very concerned at how many units bear a striking resemplence to drones.

http://www.sc2armory.com/img/zerg/units/drone.jpg
http://www.sc2armory.com/img/zerg/units/brood_lord.jpg
http://sc2pod.com/w/images/d/dc/Mantaling.jpg

And of course the "base broodlings" whose model is, well, erm
http://sc2pod.com/w/images/d/dc/Mantaling.jpg

DemolitionSquid
11-29-2009, 06:32 PM
I definately feel that if the Brood Lord is going to evolve from the Corruptor, it needs to look the part.

Visions of Khas
11-29-2009, 06:35 PM
They seem clearly inspired by manta rays, which are beautiful yet terrifying at the same time (due to their size and alien appearance). The Brood Lords most remind me of Scourge, however.

I didn't know, until now, that they evolved from Corruptors - I thought they were derived from Mutas. Huh. Then again, Gaurdians look nothing like Mutalisks, though Devourers do.

ArcherofAiur
11-29-2009, 07:03 PM
They seem clearly inspired by manta rays, which are beautiful yet terrifying at the same time (due to their size and alien appearance). The Brood Lords most remind me of Scourge, however.

I didn't know, until now, that they evolved from Corruptors - I thought they were derived from Mutas. Huh. Then again, Gaurdians look nothing like Mutalisks, though Devourers do.

I have no problems with a manta ray looking zerg creature. But 4 manta units? Two of which are the exact same model? C'mon Blizzard Dont Be Lazy!

Especially when they have a really creative and unique base unit. Expanding on the corruptors body layout could create a really cool "Giant Space Kraken" evolution. I would hope I at least have Dsquid's support on that one :p

http://www.gosugamers.net/starcraft/images/features/corruptor.jpg

Visions of Khas
11-29-2009, 07:07 PM
Expanding on the corruptors body layout could create a really cool "Giant Space Kraken" evolution. I would hope I at least have Dsquids support on that one
Don't fool yourself - DSquid WOULD be the base and model for that unit. But I agree, a nice "Space Krakan" would be awesome to have. It would be the closest thing the zerg get to a capital ship.

SoFool
11-29-2009, 08:21 PM
Since BL and drones look alike, drones should evolve to BL instead roflol.

Pandonetho
11-29-2009, 08:21 PM
Since BL and drones look alike, drones should evolve to BL instead roflol.

Sounds like a plan to me.

Operatoring
11-29-2009, 08:24 PM
I've been thinking a lot about the Zerg's evolutions lately. The Overseer as still easily recognisable as a mutation of the Overlord. Banelings still bears some resemblance to the Zergling, and the Lurker's have similarities to the Hydralisk, but I've been looking over the model for the Broodlord, and it just doesn't look anything like a Corruptor, and still bears a lot of resemblance the the Mutalisk's old evolution the (Swarm) Guardian.

Overall, I'm wondering if anyone else feels the same way about the unit right now. I think that it could do with a makeover, because the Corruptor's a really new, unique unit visually, and I think that the Broodlord could benefit from a more unique look.

A butterfly looks nothing like a caterpillar.

PsiWarp
11-29-2009, 08:24 PM
Dood, then Broodlings should evolve into Drones!! The cycle of Zerg life continues :D

-Psi

Brutaxilos
11-29-2009, 08:39 PM
I personally think the corrupter needs a new model. Most zerg faces look some what reptilian with eyes (most) and mouths and most zerg bodies are somewhat insectoid. The corrupter is squidlike which is neither reptilian nor insectoid. :[

PsiWarp
11-29-2009, 08:50 PM
http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/starcraft/images/3/39/Corruptor_SC2_Art2.png

Hmm, I think the fangs look pretty insectoid to me. The rest are like the traditional spines, with the new fleshy texture then the tentacles. The front two antennae/fangs look like cockroach antennae :D

-Psi

Nicol Bolas
11-29-2009, 09:09 PM
But 4 manta units? Two of which are the exact same model?

Um, what two use the exact same model? It's pretty clear that the BroodLord and Mantalings have different models. Similar texturing and coloring (as one would expect from a "child" unit), but different models.

And I only count 3 "manta" units: Drone, BroodLord, and Mantalings.

B~E
11-29-2009, 09:39 PM
What was wrong with the flying crab model anyway, other than it was old? I liked the fact that it was bulky and massive, as opposed to the current brood lord.

Quirel
11-29-2009, 09:58 PM
Dood, then Broodlings should evolve into Drones!! The cycle of Zerg life continues :D

-Psi
It's the Ciiiiiircle of Liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiife!

ArcherofAiur
11-29-2009, 10:30 PM
Um, what two use the exact same model? It's pretty clear that the BroodLord and Mantalings have different models. Similar texturing and coloring (as one would expect from a "child" unit), but different models.

And I only count 3 "manta" units: Drone, BroodLord, and Mantalings.

Mantalings and the "building broodlings". Remember from the second post in the thread.

StrongCoffee
11-29-2009, 10:40 PM
Must agree. If you´re going to drastically change the base unit that mutates (whats wrong with those poor tasteless mutaliks?), so give us a NEW, shining a terrifyng model for the brood lord. I Mean...its the brood frigging LORD, not just a SC1 guardian (or drone?) in steroids. I really liked the old render, it had a "bloody leviathan from hell" look, flooding the skies with those sweet swimming-like animations. The actual render just looks clumsy and not very original.

ArcherofAiur
11-29-2009, 11:14 PM
Must agree. If you´re going to drastically change the base unit that mutates (whats wrong with those poor tasteless mutaliks?), so give us a NEW, shining a terrifyng model for the brood lord. I Mean...its the brood frigging LORD, not just a SC1 guardian (or drone?) in steroids. I really liked the old render, it had a "bloody leviathan from hell" look, flooding the skies with those sweet swimming-like animations. The actual render just looks clumsy and not very original.

You mean this right
http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/starcraft/images/b/b6/SwarmGuardian_SC2_Game3.jpg

I liked the basic model but it did need a new coat of paint to bring its textures up to snuff. As far as a single player unit I think it would be perfect for a reimagined Gaurdian.

But as other people have said if your going to have it be the evolution of the Coruptor then it should at least have radial symetry not just another Chordate.

B~E
11-29-2009, 11:47 PM
Out with the caterpillar look, in with the tentacles. http://i.somethingawful.com/forumsystem/emoticons/emot-razz.gif

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v521/Iggore/SwarmGuardian_SC2_Game3.jpg

Nicol Bolas
11-29-2009, 11:56 PM
Mantalings and the "building broodlings".

Are they different units? Back when it was the Swarm Guardian, both SGs and buildings produced the same thing: a unit called a Swarm.

ArcherofAiur
11-30-2009, 12:00 AM
Are they different units? Back when it was the Swarm Guardian, both SGs and buildings produced the same thing: a unit called a Swarm.

I dont even know but whatever it is they should be different units with different models.

AegisKHAOS
11-30-2009, 12:16 AM
I personally care very little about the looks. I'd simply rather have the broodlords be evolutions of the mutas instead of the corrupters myself.

electricmole
11-30-2009, 12:28 AM
man the small flying broodling attack looks corny and weak at the same time. I want the giant green acidic balls the guardian have, and after it explodes the broodlings pops out.

KadajSouba
11-30-2009, 12:46 AM
Brood Lord is a goddam SC1 guardian. WHy is everybody trying to look at it as "terrifying mantaray". Its a freakin sc1 guardian with a tail. They should go back to the old space bug model. I dont know if its correct lore wise, or if a catterpillar should fly, but it looked so cool in motion.

electricmole
11-30-2009, 12:53 AM
damn it blizzard, 12 years already and you can only come up with the same guardian model.

and worst of all the whole sc2 zerg feels and looks like 90% the same as before only with better graphics.

ManjiSanji
11-30-2009, 01:48 AM
I say go with a giant Lovecraftian monstrosity for the Broodlord model, and have it fling little tentacle beasts at the ground instead of the current Broodlings

Something that looks similar to the gods from the first Hellboy movie, I suppose. Looks similar enough to the Corruptor, the whole, "spawning" mechanic makes sense, looks more unique than a Guardian rehash (even though I still like the current model), tentacles are sufficiently creepy and disturbing to feel Zerg, etc.

RamiZ
11-30-2009, 06:20 AM
Brood Lord is a goddam SC1 guardian. WHy is everybody trying to look at it as "terrifying mantaray". Its a freakin sc1 guardian with a tail. They should go back to the old space bug model. I dont know if its correct lore wise, or if a catterpillar should fly, but it looked so cool in motion.

No, it is not even close to the SC1 Guardian, it looks awful. Even that I like now when they throw Mantelings, they still looks disgusting. SC2 old Swarm Guardian looks like SC1 Guardian with the tail. And I don't know why they changed him, when it was great looking massive unit.

Don't know who, but someone confirmed it that units from Buildings are called Mantelings and from Broodlord are called Broodlings, or the other way around. They seems to have different models or so, but they have same stats. So they are like the same unit.

Raisk
11-30-2009, 08:08 AM
I personally care very little about the looks. I'd simply rather have the broodlords be evolutions of the mutas instead of the corrupters myself.

At first I thought it was weird too, but now I actually like that they evolve from corruptors. It's more versatile that way, after all Mutas can attack air and ground, while corruptors are stuck attacking only air, but with a quick evolution you can switch them to dedicated ground. I'd like it even more if after you evolved them to Guardians, sorry Brood Lords, you could devolve them back to corruptors for a cost.

RamiZ
11-30-2009, 09:10 AM
you could devolve them back to corruptors for a cost.
That doesn't make sense at all. It is called EVOLUTION! You cant just make units go back to larva or something like that. They are not transformers, that is what Terrans do with S.Tanks and Vikings. But I would really like for old Swarm Guardian to be back. :(

n00bonicPlague
11-30-2009, 09:44 AM
Out with the caterpillar look, in with the tentacles. http://i.somethingawful.com/forumsystem/emoticons/emot-razz.gif

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v521/Iggore/SwarmGuardian_SC2_Game3.jpg
Quite honestly that wouldn't be half bad. The evolution could simply be an extension of the carapace, some more tentacles, and just a bigger size overall. I mean, since it comes from the Corruptor and whatnot......

XSOLDIER
11-30-2009, 12:22 PM
Catepillars at least bear a resemblance to Butterflies in that they look sorta like catepillars with wings. The Guardian was always supposed to be a mutation of the nesting form of the Mantis Screamer. The Swarm Guardian was given a tail section so that it would look like it evolved from the Mutalisk. I did a drawing to show a Swarm Guardian 50% transformed before there was a clear image of the SG.

http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs42/i/2009/118/8/f/Swarm_Guardian_Evolution_by_X__SOLDIER.jpg

Mostly, the Broodlord isn't supposed to be a Guardian. It fills the same niche for gameplay purposes, but really, it's an entirely different unit from a totally different evolutionary strain. While the Corruptor's a little odd looking, it makes sense that it could evolve into a Brood Lord - the little attacks that it uses Corrupt the target fully gestate, and are too heavy to hit AA targets, but are still good at range. Mostly, I think that the Zerg need something new and awesome looking.

If the mantalings had 1-2 little squirming tentacles, or looked like Tiny Corruptors, it'd be a lot more interesting, and it would allow the player to more easily destinguish them from the other Zerg. The Corruptor ground unit's a good basis for this.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3175/2554343819_3e6d617b01.jpg

ArcherofAiur
11-30-2009, 12:38 PM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3175/2554343819_3e6d617b01.jpg

hehehe Corruptlings would be awesome! It kinda reminds me of that scene in the Matrix where the Sentinels take out that tow bomb and spin around fast then release it at the humans ship.

n00bonicPlague
11-30-2009, 01:12 PM
QUvSLzpTfCE&autoplay=1

Wankey
11-30-2009, 01:24 PM
Brood lord is fine as a model. They simply need to make it shoot a sac that explodes on contact and releases a spawnling rather than have stupid spawnlings floating by.

They should also give it burst damage (ie, the 6 sacs store ammunition. So they can shoot 6 in quick succession and then have to reload them manually if required)

In fact, make it so you have to grow these things (a la Zerg flying reaver...)

ManjiSanji
11-30-2009, 09:30 PM
Thanks n00bonic, that's basically exactly what I was talking about (although I was thinking of the adult version, the Ogdru Jahad, I think that's been speculated to be an Ogdru Hem, but you never get a clear enough image of the ones that are in space anyway).

And yeah Wankey, a combination of this tentacled beast and a flying Reaver was an idea I had a while back. I think it'd be a lot of fun, but whatever works best, I suppose.

Making little Corruptlings would be great =D

I guess my biggest issue with all this, the Broodlord coming from the Corrupter, is that now the name Mutalisk doesn't really fit. I believe the whole point was that they "mutate" in to the Guardian (and later, the Devourer).