PDA

View Full Version : What is the correct way to deal with a topic already in an old thread?

Santrega
11-23-2009, 10:29 AM
Some forums require you to post in the old thread if the topic is the same as the one you want to discuss, some would rather you not revive old threads, as this one seems to.

Which is the correct method of adding further discussion to an already discussed topic from maybe months, or years ago?

Should a person revive a dead thread with new discussion, aka the contents of what would be the original post of a new thread, or should they simply make a new thread and link to the old thread mentioning it has been discussed, then add the OP which includes the new discussion on the same topic?

I notice here "thread necromancy" is an infraction, so, I wanted to make sure of the clear right way to discuss an older topic with new points... Also, I didnt see these details in the forum guidelines.... maybe they should be there somewhere?

Gradius
11-23-2009, 11:19 AM
Make new more up-to-date thread. Added to forum FAQ.

n00bonicPlague
11-23-2009, 11:28 AM
There's a lot of factors to consider. Usually the only thing to justify necromancy is new info relevant to an issue that has yet to be resolved. However, most info that is significant enough to recall the old discussion is usually significant enough to deserve its own new thread. I guess it really comes down to how old the thread is and what the current issues are. I myself wouldn't go for anything that is over a week old and/or past page 2 of the forums.

EDIT: what G' said.

Zabimaru
11-23-2009, 11:33 AM
I have better things to do with my necromancy then revive old threads. :p

But seriously, I’ve never understood why people get so worked up about it.

Gradius
11-23-2009, 11:39 AM
Personally, I could care less, but the reasoning is that reviving very old threads is that the OP will confuse people, even if you add newer more relevant info at the end, because people don't always read the dates on threads.

Take the thread "NEW UNIT UPDATE ON STARCRAFT2.COM!11". It was relevant a few years ago, but will confuse, tease, and annoy people right now. :)

I've always wanted to get a vbulletin mod that just locks threads older than a few weeks.

n00bonicPlague
11-23-2009, 11:57 AM
Personally, I could care less, but the reasoning is that reviving very old threads is that the OP will confuse people, even if you add newer more relevant info at the end, because people don't always read the dates on threads.

Take the thread "NEW UNIT UPDATE ON STARCRAFT2.COM!11". It was relevant a few years ago, but will confuse, tease, and annoy people right now. :)Yeah, no matter how careful the poster may be, there will be those who just do not seem to realize the update, even if you slam a big fat UPDATE (mm/dd/yy) in the title and OP. Also, old threads may carry some bad vibes for people. Those who are willing to post in a new topic with an update may be less willing to do so in an old thread where they got insulted or something random like that.

I've always wanted to get a vbulletin mod that just locks threads older than a few weeks.I would settle for an auto-lock for threads that hold a status as being both:
— 30 days old since last reply
— past #30 on the list of current threads