PDA

View Full Version : If the Dark Templar had an ability......

n00bonicPlague
11-11-2009, 10:55 AM
Of course in a way they already have an ability a passive, permanent cloak. But, hearing some recent dissatisfaction towards the apparent ineffectiveness of the DT and "out-of-the-way-ness" of the Dark Shrine, I think it might be fun to try and make up some clever and useful abilities for the Dark Templar, making it more interesting and letting the Dark Shrine serve more of a purpose than to just sit there allowing you to build DTs. So, spend a bit of time and make up an interesting DT ability. Here's mine:

"Shadow Walk" allows Dark Templar to become completely invisible to all units and buildings even to detectors. This ability lasts a maximum of 15 seconds and has a cooldown of 45 seconds between full uses. Partial use due to an early cut-off allows for a faster cooldown time (10 seconds of use would only require 30 seconds of cooldown). Dark Templar are unable to attack while this ability is active. Commanding them to attack will automatically disable Shadow Walk and return them to normal cloak to attack the targeted unit or area.

sandwich_bird
11-11-2009, 11:22 AM
Maybe they could bring back the twilight archon. I always liked that idea of HT and DT fusing together.

Krikkitone
11-11-2009, 11:25 AM
Maybe they could bring back the twilight archon. I always liked that idea of HT and DT fusing together.

The idea for that would be good if all archons were twilight (or grey) archons.. but what made them different from normal archons was abilities researched at the Dark Shrine.... so you wouldn't have a true Gray Archon, until you were able to build Dark Templars.

mr. peasant
11-11-2009, 01:19 PM
Of course in a way they already have an ability a passive, permanent cloak. But, hearing some recent dissatisfaction towards the apparent ineffectiveness of the DT and "out-of-the-way-ness" of the Dark Shrine, I think it might be fun to try and make up some clever and useful abilities for the Dark Templar, making it more interesting and letting the Dark Shrine serve more of a purpose than to just sit there allowing you to build DTs. So, spend a bit of time and make up an interesting DT ability. Here's mine:

"Shadow Walk" allows Dark Templar to become completely invisible to all units and buildings even to detectors. This ability lasts a maximum of 15 seconds and has a cooldown of 45 seconds between full uses. Partial use due to an early cut-off allows for a faster cooldown time (10 seconds of use would only require 30 seconds of cooldown). Dark Templar are unable to attack while this ability is active. Commanding them to attack will automatically disable Shadow Walk and return them to normal cloak to attack the targeted unit or area.

The problem with your 'Shadow Walk' is that it would be un-counter-able regardless of what the opponent brought to the field. I think a better 'idea' would be to give them a harpoon-like (http://www.starcraft2.com/images/artwork/ss62.jpg) ability that allows them to draw the target to them (think Scorpion from Mortal Kombat). This would be useful against ranged units (especially those on high ground), casters as well as fleeing units. Moreover, it synergizes with Zealots and Archons (who pack a bigger punch).

FrozenArbiter
11-11-2009, 01:22 PM

I honestly think they are saving this for the expansion.

HT/HT = Archon
DT/DT = Dark Archon
HT/DT = Twilight Archon (and will probably be introduced in the campaign, maybe of the 2nd exp?)

That's my guess.

Josue
11-11-2009, 01:52 PM
and how about this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EsoPR-9CJ0

3EsoPR-9CJ0
isn't it cool?

about Dark shrine...

Yeah... just do it!
I mean, put them back into Templar archives and use the model for the Dark Obelisk, everyone is used to "Templar archives=DT&HT"

Zigurd
11-11-2009, 02:41 PM
Eclipse: Renders the LoS of several units within a specific space useless for 10 seconds (detection in the affected units is also rendered useless).

Double-edge strike: Deals 100 damage to a targeted unit and the DT. Shields are not applied.

Psionic chaos: deals 150 damage to all structures under the big AoE over a period of 5 seconds. DT cannot move while casting Psionic chaos.

Caliban113
11-11-2009, 03:04 PM
I know a lot of people dont really care for it, but I definitely like the, 'High-tech' tribal, 'Predator' thing the DTs have going on. I'd like to see them use old school weaponry like, nets, spiked traps and the like.

I definitely like Peasant's, 'scorpion' idea. I can see the Raider's 'Ensnare' (from WC3) to hold infantry units in place, or potentially bring down small flyers. (like Mutas, Observers or even an HSM)

(?)

MattII
11-11-2009, 03:04 PM
Don't like the idea, the DT are good the way they are, the issue is with the Dark Obelisk.

Onaga
11-11-2009, 03:16 PM
Warp-Out: Warp himself out of the battlefield in 5 (subject to change) seconds to be stored in the nearest pylon (1 per pylon). After you can warp-in this unit to any part of the battlefield that lies within the psionic matrix.

The_Blade
11-11-2009, 03:44 PM
Warp-Out: Warp himself out of the battlefield in 5 (subject to change) seconds to be stored in the nearest pylon (1 per pylon). After you can warp-in this unit to any part of the battlefield that lies within the psionic matrix.

Warp outs could work; but, instead of a pylon, warp them into a nexus. Try finding a DT in one random pylon of the total 24 in the battlefield...

Guess you will likely find waldo with ease compared to this.

As an ability I would sugest a "change weapon" ability. Each weapon with different bonus, attacks, and cool downs. And before you find a flaw, it's not lore :P.

MiniMaster184
11-11-2009, 06:53 PM
New here! BUT, I've been following these SC2 conversations for a while and I decided that I wanted to join in on the thought processes.

With this Dark Templar wanting an ability... I know it's limited, but maybe it could expand into something more. I was thinking that maybe he could disable Pylons temporarily. Make them "dark." For...15 or 20 seconds. Or when he died, one that was targeted by the player earlier would go dark. I know it's really only versus Protoss, but I can't really think of an example for Terran and Zerg in the same kind of application. Maybe like the Medic used to do, and blind units? Don't know. Just kinda thinking out loud here.

don
11-11-2009, 07:17 PM
Void Trap

The DT shorts its shields with Void Energy and the area around the DT slows down enemy units for 1 second. Costs 10 Shield Ponits a pop? Same cooldown as Stalker Blink?

Synergies with Psi Storm: DT slows units before HT casts Psi Storm.

Also Synergies with Stalker: DT slows, attacks, Stalkers blink in, attacks, DT slows, attacks, Stalkers Blink and so on.

A lot of micro potential.

Crazy_Jonny
11-11-2009, 07:27 PM

Not a bad idea, but instead, have them warp back to the Dark Shrine. I'm also not sure it should work like "storing." It should just have a really big cool down for each DT.

electricmole
11-11-2009, 07:54 PM
Uncloak ability (temporary name).

Dark templar completely reveals himself visible in the battlefield (not sure if it should be permanent), he then goes into berserk mod dealing 2x the normal damage. Can 1 shot marauders, hydralisk, and roaches, well they are top tier units now in sc2 anyway.

PsiWarp
11-11-2009, 08:45 PM
I think the Dark Templar could have Null Shield, where he reveals himself to cloak friendlies around him.

An activated Cloaking field :3

-Psi

Visions of Khas
11-11-2009, 09:07 PM
Do the Zerg still have Dark Swarm? I was wondering, perhaps Dark Templar may be given the same ability but under a different name, a cloud of swirling darkness that conceals allied troops. This idea comes from the Blizzard Cinematics Department video, which depicts Zeratul summoning a cloud of darkness that wells up from under his cloak as he fights Kerrigan.

To distinguish it from Dark Swarm, perhaps the cloud expands from the Dark Templar for five seconds, allowing the player to construct a "wall" how ever and where ever he wishes. Say, I want to obscure a part of my base. The Dark Templar casts Cloud, and walks from one side to the other, drawing a stream of darkness across his path. It wouldn't be a broad cloak like Dark Swarm, but smaller and more controllable.

FrozenArbiter
11-11-2009, 09:09 PM
I know a lot of people dont really care for it, but I definitely like the, 'High-tech' tribal, 'Predator' thing the DTs have going on. I'd like to see them use old school weaponry like, nets, spiked traps and the like.

I definitely like Peasant's, 'scorpion' idea. I can see the Raider's 'Ensnare' (from WC3) to hold infantry units in place, or potentially bring down small flyers. (like Mutas, Observers or even an HSM)

(?)

I'm gonna have to veto this idea - it's the single most annoying ability in WC3 lol.

MAYBE hex is more annoying, it's really close.

Fuck ensnare. Fuck raiders. They are really, really fun to use tho. E, right click, e, right click, e, right click, e right click. Sup?

Oh and @ Visions, no they don't have Dark Swarm anymore. They had it in for a while (a year+ ago) but not for a while.

Operatoring
11-11-2009, 09:20 PM
I say you let them warp anywhere within Pylon power. Goes along with the whole "Blink" there Stalker brethren uses. Give it a long CD.

The DT is rather useless being so out of the way. A good idea would be to give it the AoE swipe that Ultralisks have. This would make it more viable against ground units.

Or you could make it viable against air targets. Give it "Gravity" as an ability. Works exactly opposite of "Anti-gravity". Target a single air unit and it pulls it to the ground, disabling it. The DT must channel the ability, but other ground units and DTs could destroy it. Actually, I like this idea the most.

Caliban113
11-11-2009, 10:18 PM
MAYBE hex is more annoying, it's really close.

HA! - Did you like, 'Banish'? - cuz in SC2, it's called 'Phase Shift' and now fully spammable... :)

Well, okay - Ensnare is probably a little too much WC3, but the spike traps may work - hefty damage to a single infantry unit - or potentially slow vehicles at a choke.

Islandsnake
11-11-2009, 10:21 PM
I <3 my DTs.

If anything I would only give them a skill with a decent cooldown that allows them to warp towards a unit with mana ( Blink strike). So you could use them to assassinate enemy spell casters. But even that is probably a bit much o.0 Its still going to be a extremely hated unit

FrozenArbiter
11-11-2009, 11:55 PM
HA! - Did you like, 'Banish'? - cuz in SC2, it's called 'Phase Shift' and now fully spammable... :)

Well, okay - Ensnare is probably a little too much WC3, but the spike traps may work - hefty damage to a single infantry unit - or potentially slow vehicles at a choke.

Banish is awesome because it can be used AGAINST the Orc, not by them.

* Note, I may or may not carry some pent up rage towards Orc players from having been double creepjacked a few too many times in 2v2s.

ManjiSanji
11-12-2009, 12:33 AM
I don't really support the idea of the Dark Templar getting an "ability," but if I were to suggest one...

What about a sort of "super" stealth, a temporary ability in which the DT must remain still (and also cannot attack), but becomes completely undetectable, thus giving them the opportunity to avoid incoming units that might detect them (but hadn't), and may pass them by, or give them a precious few seconds to wait for reinforcements.

Freespace
11-12-2009, 12:38 AM
Chaos of the Void
75 Energy - 10 second duration - area of effect - all units in area ( except Dark Templar units ) treat everything as enemy

The Dark Templar, having spent centuries in the swirling energies of the Void, has attuned his mind to its chaotic flow. He unleashes a small amount of Void energies over a certain area on the battlefield, causing everything that is not a Dark Templar to lose allegiance and go berserk for a fixed amount of time ( 10 seconds ). Friendly fire possible ( affects own units ).

Pandonetho
11-12-2009, 01:28 AM
What about a sort of "super" stealth, a temporary ability in which the DT must remain still (and also cannot attack), but becomes completely undetectable, thus giving them the opportunity to avoid incoming units that might detect them (but hadn't), and may pass them by, or give them a precious few seconds to wait for reinforcements.

Because we all know making impenetrable walls like that isn't imbalanced.

ManjiSanji
11-12-2009, 01:45 AM
Because we all know making impenetrable walls like that isn't imbalanced.

It was an *idea.*

Man, what's with people?

Was Stasis imbalanced?

Frankly, I don't see how a few seconds of not being detectable is a big deal.

Zabimaru
11-13-2009, 04:36 AM
A good idea would be to give it the AoE swipe that Ultralisks have. This would make it more viable against ground units.

Giving it an AoE will defeat the point of it being an assassin. For instance, when you’re one hit killing probes without your opponent knowing they will get a warning because the other probes around them won’t die in one hit.

newcomplex
11-13-2009, 05:52 PM
they should get some variation of feedback.

Triceron
11-14-2009, 03:26 PM
Blinkstrike is a bit too powerful for DT's, if you've seen how annoying the Phantom Assassin is in DOTA. It becomes very difficult to kill DT's with ComSat if they're blinking away, which defeats the purpose of their weakness (being spotted).

Shadowwalk
- Used ability, Self Buff
- Cooldown 40 seconds, Duration 8 seconds

Years of exposure to the void energies has trained the dark templar to move gracefully through the shadows.

Effect: Sets unit collision to 0, allowing it to walk through units (Ala Blademaster Windwalking). Increases footspeed 15%.

Use: Allows the DT to go straight for important targets behind enemy lines, allows DT to retreat behind ally forces. Promotes use of unit for flanking tactics, but maintains vulnerabilities to detection. The downside of the ability comes from positioning, since you could trap your own units when the ability wears off.

Islandsnake
11-14-2009, 11:15 PM
Blinkstrike is a bit too powerful for DT's, if you've seen how annoying the Phantom Assassin is in DOTA. It becomes very difficult to kill DT's with ComSat if they're blinking away, which defeats the purpose of their weakness (being spotted).

Shadowwalk
- Used ability, Self Buff
- Cooldown 40 seconds, Duration 8 seconds

Years of exposure to the void energies has trained the dark templar to move gracefully through the shadows.

Effect: Sets unit collision to 0, allowing it to walk through units (Ala Blademaster Windwalking). Increases footspeed 15%.

Use: Allows the DT to go straight for important targets behind enemy lines, allows DT to retreat behind ally forces. Promotes use of unit for flanking tactics, but maintains vulnerabilities to detection. The downside of the ability comes from positioning, since you could trap your own units when the ability wears off.

Increasing there speed and reducing there collision is much worse then a blink-strike that can only target units with mana. It would be much harder to catch a DT that is harassing and it makes ramp blocking and other things like that useless vs them. Plus you wouldn't be able to surround them with the new pretty worker AI and instantly gib them.

Your idea also party defeats the idea of them being spotted, this makes them harder to kill and harder to catch.

Honestly I don't really think they even need a skill at all, to me they already have one of the best skills in the game. I did suggest a blink strike because I have a unit in a custom RTS thats similar to a DT and it has it..so I thought id throw it out there, that version however also silences when the strike happens for 3 seconds..but then again the unit isnt always invisible either he just moves very fast...ugh offtopic again T_T