PDA

View Full Version : Xel'Naga Storyline Projection 2: Twilight

Gradius
11-05-2009, 09:23 PM
Full Article.
(http://sclegacy.com/news/23-sc2/528-xelnaga-storyline-projection-2-twilight)

Gradius
11-05-2009, 09:45 PM
Kimera and I endeavored to get this one out - I hope you guys like it. :D

Also, thanks to LoA for editing support. :)

DemolitionSquid
11-05-2009, 09:46 PM
We'll, I'm certainly aroused.

Visions of Khas
11-05-2009, 10:12 PM
We'll, I'm certainly sexually aroused.

Fix'd.

A few things:

If the Conclave knew this info, it could explain why they were so desperate to destroy the Zerg, even to the point of eradicating the Terrans.
It's indicated that the Protoss were on the lookout for xenomorphic races at they expanded their sphere on influence during their Golden Age. I wondere if they might have been on the lookout for a race comparable to the zerg, or if "xenomorphic" simply indicates "alien races".

It's also possible that since the Xel'Naga empowered the Protoss with Khala energies
Do we have evidence of this? It's been said the the Khala dilutes and attenuates the Protoss' natural abilities, and was an advent during Savassan's tenure as Khas - Bringer of Order. That seems it was a Protoss, not a Xel'Naga, imposed limitation.

"What is the purpose of the artifacts?"
It's my theory that the Essential Energies - an entity similar to the energy sphere that empower Cerebrates - of the Xel'Naga crystallized; their spirits made manifest and fossilized. These will transfer into the Hybrids, once created.

W
ho is Coming Back - Xel'Naga or Hybrids? What is Their Nature?
Again, speculation, but I think Duran's - and Ulrezaj's - Hybrids combine the Essence of the Protoss with the Form of the Zerg, a reversal of what the Xel'Naga sought. It could simultaneously create an extremely destructive force and completely eradicat the 'Naga's efforts.

or that the Anakh Su'n is not bound by the constraints of time, which is itself only a single dimension of the universe.
I can see the Psionic Matrix of Aiur, infused with the spirits of millions of fallen Protoss, rise up and destroy a foe in a fashion similar to the Dark Elf ending in WarCraft III.

I'm not a fan of prophecies; in this instance, I see Protoss conforming their beliefs to reality and supposition, rather than a seer's prophecies coming to fruition. Therefor, while Tassadar may fit the description of the Twilight Massiah, it doesn't necessarily mean his spirit is that of Adun's. Just an expression of my own feelings, though.

Ultimately, this is a very satisfying read and was a long time coming. Excellent job, Kimera, coup de maitre. :D

Nicol Bolas
11-05-2009, 10:34 PM
It amazes me that you brush so close to it and yet missed Theory 3 for who Duran serves:

Someone from a previous cycle.

Pretty much since the truth about the Xel'Naga cycle was revealed, I've been expecting someone from the last cycle to show up.

The details from the merging of the Purity of Essence with the Purity of Form are scant at best. But it is clear that the Xel'Naga cause the merging of two species, against their will if needs be.

Take the Zerg and Protoss. What exactly would the Zerg Swarm have had to be for the Protoss to willingly allow their entire race to merge with it? I can't imagine them going along with this just because the Xel'Naga tell them to "get with the merging already!" So some kind of force will be needed.

The resulting species would then be used in some fashion by the Xel'Naga to keep themselves alive. However, the resulting species would also themselves likely be as long-lived as the newly refreshed Xel'Naga.

If the process by which the Xel'Naga use this species would normally kill all of them, it is possible that a few got away. And if it doesn't kill them, then it's almost certain that some are still around.

Either way though, they're not going to be too happy about the Xel'Naga, you know, forcing them into this merger. Even better, maybe they would like to usurp the Xel'Naga cycle, supplanting their former masters to become immortal as the Xel'Naga were.

To do that, they'd need to create... a merged species, just like the Xel'Naga. A merging of Purity of Form and Purity of Essence. Oh look, there just happen to be two of those lying around. And look, the Xel'Naga stupided themselves out of existence just in time, so there's nobody around to help the merging happen "properly" (or perhaps the Overmind had some help getting those space-dwelling creatures in range of its assimilation capabilities?)

But first, you'd have to figure out how to do the merging at all. After all, these refugees from the last merging aren't as smart as the Xel'Naga. They don't know how all this stuff works. Well, lucky for them that the Overmind gave them a hint, when it transformed a random human into Kerrigan, Queen of Blades.

Of course, they'd have to study this fusion, particularly the results of it. Once Kerrigan took control of the Zerg, this would seem more likely. Maybe they would slip an agent, a confederate if you will, among the Zerg.

And thus, Samir Duran. Obviously Kerrigan's feeble powers (Purity of Essence mixed with mere Human) would be no match for Purity of Form + Purity of Essence. So he hangs out with Sarah, doing her bidding, but there for only one reason: to learn how she was made. Once he knows how, he clandestinely takes some Zerg and goes to combine the new Purity of Form with the new Purity of Essence.

Now this is almost certainly not how the Xel'Naga would have accomplished the merging. The result would likely be a corruption of the perfect creature, though far more powerful than the Zerg or Protoss.

Visions of Khas
11-05-2009, 10:43 PM
Mm, nice theory. I had thought at some point too that Duran had been a survivor from a previous age, but never thought of it so in-depth. I hope it's true! :)

newcomplex
11-05-2009, 11:10 PM
Is it confirmed that purity of essence means "Hive mind"? (All for one). I was under the impression that it means "Singularity mind" (one for all AND all for one, harmonious unity of multiple unique beings as opposed to the forced unit to a single being"

If it does mean zerg hive mind, doesn't that mean that their is only one xel'naga entity?

For that matter doesn't having true purity of essence contradict your later statement on xel naga factions? How can a race with a perfect hive intelligence/perfect singularity intellect have divergent factions?

I think their are powers that predate even the Xel'naga, who are the the true gods of the infinite void of space. The voice in the darkness is but a mere effigy of its power. Backing this up, we have seen repeatedly time and again that they're seems to be two different sides to this. One cannot attribute everything to the doings to the xel'naga, while the very fact of having a true purity of essence seems to mean that they cannot have different factions.

I think an ancient and primal intellect predating the xel naga could be this third force, who is manipulating the creation of the hybrids, possibly to disrupt the xel'naga's cycle. Maybe the xel'naga are responsible for keeping the "Old Gods" chained. Duran is almost certainly not a servant of the xel'naga. I also doubt durans simply just wrong, it seems a dumb plot device to create a character so mysterious, ancient and sinister, only to end up explaining it with "his facts are wrong lols"

Also, it may not be a correct inference to draw that a mere two thousand years were bar out any surviving xel'naga. They could live for millions, if not tens of millions of years.

Probably the most cliched answer will be the right one. And the xel'naga will be equivalent to the titans, and the dark and ancient evil be old gods.

LordofAscension
11-05-2009, 11:26 PM
Stellar work guys - I'm very proud of this article - Gradius and Kimera did an awesome job - hopefully you all find value in it.

~LoA

Gradius
11-05-2009, 11:43 PM
Do we have evidence of this? It's been said the the Khala dilutes and attenuates the Protoss' natural abilities, and was an advent during Savassan's tenure as Khas - Bringer of Order. That seems it was a Protoss, not a Xel'Naga, imposed limitation.
You bring up a good point, this is true - I will remove this part from the article.

Is it confirmed that purity of essence means "Hive mind"? (All for one). I was under the impression that it means "Singularity mind" (one for all AND all for one, harmonious unity of multiple unique beings as opposed to the forced unit to a single being"
Not sure where you're getting these definitions from - a hive mind, as far as I know, is simply a collection of linked minds.

Also, it may not be a correct inference to draw that a mere two thousand years were bar out any surviving xel'naga. They could live for millions, if not tens of millions of years.Their lives were already drawing to a close by the time they started engineering races, and that was millions of years ago. Though there's a chance some could have survived, it always seemed to me that the reason they were pushing their creations so fast was because they had limited time.

ArcherofAiur
11-06-2009, 12:48 AM
Cool!

KillaKhan
11-06-2009, 01:41 AM
I have a theory.

What if the Xel'Naga are going to be antagonists? It said multiple time that they werent necessarily, but they could be.
My theory is that the energy beings are going to absorb key parts of the protoss and zerg, and then assimilate and destroy them completely.
It says that the Xel'Naga always chooses two species to adapt, but we have never seen these species in the starcraft universe ever. I think that the Xel'Naga consume both species. Or would, unless the protoss and zerg do something about it.

Duran and Ulrezaj could have forseen this, and are creating the hybrids not to fight the protoss with, but to attack the Xel'Naga.

*Edit*

Also, just a thought, what if the terrans themselves were previously engineered by the Xel'Naga, but don't have the means of remembrance or ways to find out that it happened.

Kimera757
11-06-2009, 08:17 AM
It amazes me that you brush so close to it and yet missed Theory 3 for who Duran serves:

Someone from a previous cycle.

Previous to the incarnation which was destroyed by the zerg?

While possible (eg frozen) it's a bit unlikely, as I'm not sure Duran would depict himself as anyone's servant if he's the oldest one around.

Or do you simply mean from that last incarnation?

The resulting species would then be used in some fashion by the Xel'Naga to keep themselves alive. However, the resulting species would also themselves likely be as long-lived as the newly refreshed Xel'Naga.

That's not quite how the xel'naga cycle works. The old incarnation would die out of old age, unless there was something species about a protoss/zerg combination to keep the old ones going.

I have a theory.

What if the Xel'Naga are going to be antagonists? It said multiple time that they werent necessarily, but they could be.

True. But which incarnation of xel'naga are you talking about? :) The last one (not counting hybrids, which may be seen as an incarnation) were almost wiped out, and it's a bit doubtful that any are alive nowadays (unless a bunch froze themselves).

My theory is that the energy beings are going to absorb key parts of the protoss and zerg, and then assimilate and destroy them completely.

We've only seen one energy being do so, however. While it "ate" quite a few protoss and zerg, all the other ones we've seen were part of a wormhole system.

It says that the Xel'Naga always chooses two species to adapt, but we have never seen these species in the starcraft universe ever. I think that the Xel'Naga consume both species. Or would, unless the protoss and zerg do something about it.

Zamara's own sources would be sort of biased, so take with a grain of salt, but she said the xel'naga wouldn't do anything like this. Rather, the merging takes a really long time (presumably over many generations of a long-lived species). Pretty soon each member of one species would be "hybridized" with the other; leaving the few "purists" to die off by themselves (with a population too small to sustain themselves).

Duran and Ulrezaj could have forseen this, and are creating the hybrids not to fight the protoss with, but to attack the Xel'Naga.

Ulrezaj is a crazy Aiur hater; if he's making hybrids to fight the xel'naga, it's probably because he intends to use them against the protoss of Aiur (and someone will "steal" his creatures now that he's locked up). Indeed, Ulrezaj tried to use his enhanced zerg (which were basically zerg-dominant hybrids) to kill the protoss from Aiur.

Which leaves me to wonder, how do Duran's (barely known) motivations fit into this? It's not very parsimonious to have him be a servant of some unknown species which hates the xel'naga. Of course, he could know "the truth", leaving questions about how he has such enormous power (fake infestation, amazingly long life, etc).

Also, just a thought, what if the terrans themselves were previously engineered by the Xel'Naga, but don't have the means of remembrance or ways to find out that it happened.

The xel'naga modified lots of species; terrans could be one. I don't know if that would be particularly relevant, since the species created before the protoss and zerg were all failures.

Norfindel
11-06-2009, 08:44 AM
About infested Protoss, maybe what makes them difficult to infest, is their purity of form. Did the Protoss even once get sick? The Zerg use a virus to mutate their targets, if the Protoss immune system is very powerful, that could really make things difficult for the Zerg.

I certainly don't think it's the Khala, as the Dark Templar would be an easy prey, then.

Kimera757
11-06-2009, 04:38 PM
Maybe the Void protects as well. However, the protoss scientist did directly state the Khala provides protection from infestation.

spychi
11-06-2009, 05:18 PM
I read the best article about StarCraft universe in my whole life.
Gratz for Gradius and Kimera, you guys turned my point of view about the Xel'Naga in a 180 degrees flop
I was always interested about the lore in StarCraft Universe, I have read many, many articles but this is the one that brings alot of new things in to how I see StarCraft 2. The plot in the game will be awesome no doubt but after this, I think it will be even more superb.
Again thanks for the effort guys, you've made a good job.

Kimera757
11-06-2009, 05:43 PM
It's greatly appreciated.

Hawki
11-06-2009, 06:04 PM
Pretty kickass. In way of general response:

-A good point is made about the protoss' psionic gestalt, how it could theoretically have provided purity of essence, saving the xel'naga the trouble of finding a second species. Hadn't considered that before.

-How the cycle started is certainly confusing-how could the xel'naga live long enough to get to the position of galactic manipulators before having to start a cycle? Or maybe it was of their own free will, making continuation of their species a surer thing.

-I'm not sure whether the zerg assimilating the xel'naga would allow a more potent combination with the protoss. It's old genetic material that in terms of modern biology, would probably be considered residual. Like the appendix-things that helped us in the past, but are useless to us now.

-I think the temple on Shakuras is more or less a general WMD, in that at least the protoss withdrew inside it to avoid its blast. On the other hand, it does seem to have been designed with the protoss in mind given that it requires Uraj and Khalis to use. Or maybe the xel'naga created it before aiding protoss development and giving them the crystals.

-I'm guessing the energy creatures are designed to recover protoss and zerg genetic material, exit through the wormhole and give it to the xel'naga to rebuild their race-a different form of combining purity of essence and form. Of course, there is the problem that Bhekar Ro seems to be the only planet where both zerg and protoss were absorbed.

-Nice point about the Conclave. I certainly think they were well informed, given the "we know things you do not," line in Shadow Hunters.

-I'd say the Voice in the Darkness bears far more resemblance to the Old Gods both physically and in terms of personality than the xel'naga, which could be compared to the titans. Still, I agree that Duran may not be working with it as even if he's not a terran, he didn't seemed possessed. And the question remains as to while the Voice 'slept' for a long time, how is it "reflected" in the hybrids (as pointed out)?

-Duran's an enigma, so I won't speculate. Still, one thing the article seemed to miss is his line in I, Mengsk that "I understand hatred very well." Possibly minor, but still, it could give us a clue as to his motives.

Anyway, once again, good article.

Nicol Bolas
11-06-2009, 09:11 PM
-How the cycle started is certainly confusing-how could the xel'naga live long enough to get to the position of galactic manipulators before having to start a cycle? Or maybe it was of their own free will, making continuation of their species a surer thing.

Probably the same way we do: reproduction. What likely happened is that, at some point, one of the Xel'Naga discovered the "live forever" formula. Then they all switched to it.

Gifted
11-07-2009, 01:14 PM
Just dropping in to say Superb job to Kimera and Gradius for putting this together.

Pandonetho
11-07-2009, 01:48 PM
Huh, I didn't know Kimera was psiseveredhead on wiki, that's cool man.

I tried posting stuff on the wiki before but I just failed miserably since I didn't really know what I was doing.

RolleR_RATM
11-16-2009, 09:25 PM
-Duran's an enigma, so I won't speculate. Still, one thing the article seemed to miss is his line in I, Mengsk that "I understand hatred very well." Possibly minor, but still, it could give us a clue as to his motives.

I agree with you. Maybe Duran was a survivor of the previous cycle. I mean survivor from one of the merged races, and then his mind later travelled through many bodies, using a method like the Xel'Naga artifacts - as he himself said "I had many names through the millenia".

So he feels a huge ammount of hatred and maybe he wants revenge, or working for someone who wants revenge upon the Xel'Naga. That would fit well with the theory that Vision of Khas wrote: The clones that Duran is breeding are the opposite of the Xel'Naga merging, that means merging protoss essence with zerg form. This could be used to attack the Xel'Naga when they "awake" and eradicate them once and for all.