PDA

View Full Version : Starting a forum RPG?

NamesAreUseless
10-18-2009, 11:23 AM
If I wanted to start a forum RPG here on the SCLegacy forums (a Starcraft forum RPG where you choose to take the role of a character from the games, books, etc. or make up your own Starcraft character to roleplay as), which section of the forum would it be most appropriate to start the thread in?

I guess my next question should be would anyone be interested in taking part in one? Its no fun to start a forum RPG without anyone willing to join.

Sarov
10-18-2009, 11:40 AM
Actually, a long, long time ago before I was on BlizzForums and when I was still on SC:Legacy I once tried to start an RP. Besides, I love RPing - I played Dungeons and Dragons for a couple of years, roleplayed on a site for a couple more, and am now playing World of Darkness - so this would be a great thing in my opinion. In other words, I am perfectly willing to join.

As for the forum in which to put it in, I'm not entirely sure.

Also, I just remembered something. Visions of Khas once told me that he wanted to start an RP up but he needed help with moderating it. So maybe you or I could talk to him to see if he wants to join?

The big problem with starting an RP is that because it is one thread it'll be hard to keep track of what is going on unless we're doing it like Dungeons and Dragons were you have a party and you all do the same missions etc. For example, just try to imagine eight people in different places, all of them trying to do something. It would kinda hard to keep track of it in my opinion unless everyone starts quoting people...

NamesAreUseless
10-18-2009, 11:55 AM
Actually, a long, long time ago before I was on BlizzForums and when I was still on SC:Legacy I once tried to start an RP. Besides, I love RPing - I played Dungeons and Dragons for a couple of years, roleplayed on a site for a couple more, and am now playing World of Darkness - so this would be a great thing in my opinion. In other words, I am perfectly willing to join.

As for the forum in which to put it in, I'm not entirely sure.

Also, I just remembered something. Visions of Khas once told me that he wanted to start an RP up but he needed help with moderating it. So maybe you or I could talk to him to see if he wants to join?

The big problem with starting an RP is that because it is one thread it'll be hard to keep track of what is going on unless we're doing it like Dungeons and Dragons were you have a party and you all do the same missions etc. For example, just try to imagine eight people in different places, all of them trying to do something. It would kinda hard to keep track of it in my opinion unless everyone starts quoting people...
Actually I have an idea how it can be set up (from other forum RPG experiences I've had):

We create a "Starcraft RPG - OOC" (OOC = Out of Character) thread for all the non-roleplaying posts. This would be the first thread created, where character applications would be submitted and such.

Once enough people are interested, a "Starcraft RPG - IC" (IC = In Character) thread can be created for all the actual roleplaying. And no, we don't need to necessarily do a "D&D" set-up where there is a DM and a party altogether. There should still be a "DM" of sorts in the sense of disputes between players and such though.

Now this just may be my opinion, but I think this RPG would work best more as an "army-based RPG", where people would play characters like Raynor (where the person would roleplay Raynor and his Raynor's Raiders forces), Kerrigan, etc. Obviously RTS-style battles would be fought in the forum thread if we go this route, and it may be hard to figure out who wins battles, but it shouldn't be too big an issue. Also if we went this route, the "DM" should control a character just like everyone else, and simply be the guy who starts the threads and helps disputes between players in the OOC.

Sure, we should talk to Vision of Khas about this. Do you wanna PM about this thread, or should I?

Sarov
10-18-2009, 12:09 PM
Actually I have an idea how it can be set up (from other forum RPG experiences I've had):

We create a "Starcraft RPG - OOC" (OOC = Out of Character) thread for all the non-roleplaying posts. This would be the first thread created, where character applications would be submitted and such.

Once enough people are interested, a "Starcraft RPG - IC" (IC = In Character) thread can be created for all the actual roleplaying. And no, we don't need to necessarily do a "D&D" set-up where there is a DM and a party altogether. There should still be a "DM" of sorts in the sense of disputes between players and such though.

Now this just may be my opinion, but I think this RPG would work best more as an "army-based RPG", where people would play characters like Raynor (where the person would roleplay Raynor and his Raynor's Raiders forces), Kerrigan, etc. Obviously RTS-style battles would be fought in the forum thread if we go this route, and it may be hard to figure out who wins battles, but it shouldn't be too big an issue. Also if we went this route, the "DM" should control a character just like everyone else, and simply be the guy who starts the threads and helps disputes between players in the OOC.

Sure, we should talk to Vision of Khas about this. Do you wanna PM about this thread, or should I?

Well, an OOC thread and an IC are pretty much standard for RPs. Anyone that makes a RP without the OOC seperated from the IC isn't very experienced at all.

Although if this is one of those RPs were you control a general and have battles against people, I'd get pretty bored. I don't exactly like the army-based RPs, prefering to instead control one central character and maybe a few NPCs when it comes to the NPCs reactions and so forth - e.g If my character goes to a store, I would end up acting out what the store keeper does etc. After all, that is pretty much what my RP history is like. I've never really done an RP where you control an entire army - assuming that this is what you mean.

Also, you should probably PM him since this is your idea. Also talk to him about his idea - I have no idea what it is - and see if it could work with this one or not.

LordofAscension
10-18-2009, 12:49 PM
I suggest you guys use a social group for this. That way you have your own little private area for this :)

~LoA

NamesAreUseless
10-18-2009, 03:07 PM
Well, an OOC thread and an IC are pretty much standard for RPs. Anyone that makes a RP without the OOC seperated from the IC isn't very experienced at all.

Although if this is one of those RPs were you control a general and have battles against people, I'd get pretty bored. I don't exactly like the army-based RPs, prefering to instead control one central character and maybe a few NPCs when it comes to the NPCs reactions and so forth - e.g If my character goes to a store, I would end up acting out what the store keeper does etc. After all, that is pretty much what my RP history is like. I've never really done an RP where you control an entire army - assuming that this is what you mean.

Also, you should probably PM him since this is your idea. Also talk to him about his idea - I have no idea what it is - and see if it could work with this one or not.
Actually, I've seen LOTS of forum RPGs with a single thread for both OOC and IC. Its not pretty :(

You don't HAVE to RP as a faction leader, you could always roleplay as a group of mercenaries or just a singular character. To be able to control an army or not would be up to the player ;)

Still, the RPG could be set up in a number of ways. Whether its an "army RPG" or a more standard "D&D" setup, there should be lots of actual roleplaying between players (and not simply battle orders). I'm up for nearly any RPG setup myself.

I suggest you guys use a social group for this. That way you have your own little private area for this :)

~LoA
Why a social group? This forum RPG would get A LOT more attention if it was taking place in an actual thread for everyone to see on these very boards.

I'll go PM Vision of Khas about this now and see what he thinks.

Sarov
10-18-2009, 03:17 PM
Actually, I've seen LOTS of forum RPGs with a single thread for both OOC and IC. Its not pretty :(

You don't HAVE to RP as a faction leader, you could always roleplay as a group of mercenaries or just a singular character. To be able to control an army or not would be up to the player ;)

Still, the RPG could be set up in a number of ways. Whether its an "army RPG" or a more standard "D&D" setup, there should be lots of actual roleplaying between players (and not simply battle orders). I'm up for nearly any RPG setup myself.

So have I. One OOC post will destroy the entire thread because then suddenly everyone will start posting OOC and you end up with several pages of it and a dead RP.

I wouldn't mind having an army but I'm probably going to start off as with one central character. Almost a lone person. Almost like Zeratul in a way.

Also did you have a plot for it? Because it's kinda hard to go along with StarCraft 2's plot when the game isn't out...

Why a social group? This forum RPG would get A LOT more attention if it was taking place on these very boards.

I'll go PM Vision of Khas about this now and see what he thinks.

I think LordofAscension means that it will be a private thing. That way you can't have someone come in an post something like "Oh my god! Can I join?" and have someone reply with "Ask the moderators/leaders". That way the RP won't get disrupted.

My idea was to have a recruitment thread in the off topic forum and the actual RP in a social group. That way you could have a thread for the rules, for IC, for OOC, and a thread to post characters only as well as a way to gather people.

NamesAreUseless
10-18-2009, 03:29 PM
So have I. One OOC post will destroy the entire thread because then suddenly everyone will start posting OOC and you end up with several pages of it and a dead RP.

I wouldn't mind having an army but I'm probably going to start off as with one central character. Almost a lone person. Almost like Zeratul in a way.

Also did you have a plot for it? Because it's kinda hard to go along with StarCraft 2's plot when the game isn't out...
I figured the RPG should take place right after Brood War. We would essentially be roleplaying all the stuff that COULD have happened before Starcraft 2 (or essentially create our own form of canon from where Brood War left off). It could be the day right after Brood War or even 1 year, but shouldn't be TOO many years since Brood War.

There wouldn't be a specific "plot" of sorts. It would be up to the players to come up with goals for their characters. Like if someone chose to be Raynor, it'd be up to the player if he wanted to fight against the Dominion, go after Kerrigan's Broods, or simply go mercenary. I always find these kind of RPGs fun, as there are multiple conflicts occuring at the same time (Like we could have Kerrigan and Mengsk's remnant Dominion at war, while Zeratul and Artanis go out to find and destroy all of Samir Duran's Hybrids).

I think LordofAscension means that it will be a private thing. That way you can't have someone come in an post something like "Oh my god! Can I join?" and have someone reply with "Ask the moderators/leaders". That way the RP won't get disrupted.

My idea was to have a recruitment thread in the off topic forum and the actual RP in a social group. That way you could have a thread for the rules, for IC, for OOC, and a thread to post characters only as well as a way to gather people.
That's a pretty good idea actually. Only thing though: will even people who aren't in the social group be able to see what's being roleplayed out? Some interested players might not be able to see what is going on in the RPG if its completely private. Although I figure MOST interested people will just join in anyways :p

Sarov
10-18-2009, 03:46 PM
I figured the RPG should take place right after Brood War. We would essentially be roleplaying all the stuff that COULD have happened before Starcraft 2 (or essentially create our own form of canon from where Brood War left off). It could be the day right after Brood War or even 1 year, but shouldn't be TOO many years since Brood War.

There wouldn't be a specific "plot" of sorts. It would be up to the players to come up with goals for their characters. Like if someone chose to be Raynor, it'd be up to the player if he wanted to fight against the Dominion, go after Kerrigan's Broods, or simply go mercenary. I always find these kind of RPGs fun, as there are multiple conflicts occuring at the same time (Like we could have Kerrigan and Mengsk's remnant Dominion at war, while Zeratul and Artanis are sending their Protoss forces out to find and destroy all of Samir Duran's Hybrids).

Actually, that's a pretty good idea. It gives the players freedom and allows us to be creative at the same time. Now the question I have is concerning the Dark Templar Saga. What would we do about that? Perhaps if you made it right after the last book, Twilight, that could help those who want to play characters from the book. That way we don't have to have some people playing out the book.

I think that would be the perfect time to start the RP; right after the end of Dark Templar Saga: Twilight. At least, in my opinion.

That's a pretty good idea actually. Only thing though: will even people who aren't in the social group be able to see what's being roleplayed out? Some interested players might not be able to see what is going on in the RPG if its completely private. Although I figure MOST interested people will just join in anyways :p

Hm. I'm pretty sure that you can make it viewable to non-members but people can't post. I'm not one hundred percent sure because I've never tested it but when I view public social groups, if I'm not a member there isn't a "New Post" or "Reply" button. So I think it could work.

LordofAscension
10-18-2009, 03:51 PM

Yes - this is what I mean.

You can set whether you want people to be able to see. Basically it just gives you way more flexibility to do as a social group - you can have as many "threads" as you need and there are easy ways to keep track of people etc.

Cheers,

~LoA

NamesAreUseless
10-18-2009, 03:54 PM
Actually, that's a pretty good idea. It gives the players freedom and allows us to be creative at the same time. Now the question I have is concerning the Dark Templar Saga. What would we do about that? Perhaps if you made it right after the last book, Twilight, that could help those who want to play characters from the book. That way we don't have to have some people playing out the book.

I think that would be the perfect time to start the RP; right after the end of Dark Templar Saga: Twilight. At least, in my opinion.
I never read the Dark Templar saga, nor have I read up on what happened in it. We could always have a vote on when the RPG should start once an OOC thread is started up.

To be honest though, I'm mostly interested in RPing Alexei Stukov post-infestation and the UED remnant, so I don't think the events of the Dark Templar Saga really effect him anyways :p

Hm. I'm pretty sure that you can make it viewable to non-members but people can't post. I'm not one hundred percent sure because I've never tested it but when I view public social groups, if I'm not a member there isn't a "New Post" or "Reply" button. So I think it could work.
That would be ideal. A social group viewable by all, but only allows accepted RPers to post.

Hopefully some more SCL guys will post their interest for the RPG in here (or maybe I should go ahead and post a recruitment thread in the Off-Topic forums) :D

Sarov
10-18-2009, 04:03 PM
Yes - this is what I mean.

You can set whether you want people to be able to see. Basically it just gives you way more flexibility to do as a social group - you can have as many "threads" as you need and there are easy ways to keep track of people etc.

Cheers,

~LoA

It seems that I was right.

I never read the Dark Templar saga, nor have I read up on what happened in it. We could always have a vote on when the RPG should start once an OOC thread is started up.

To be honest though, I'm mostly interested in RPing Alexei Stukov post-infestation and the UED remnant, so I don't think the events of the Dark Templar Saga really effect him anyways :p

I have. I own all three books. This might help you in the event we do start after Twilight:

Dark Templar Saga: Firstborn (http://starcraft.wikia.com/wiki/StarCraft:_The_Dark_Templar_Saga:_Firstborn)
Dark Templar Saga: Shadow Hunters (http://starcraft.wikia.com/wiki/StarCraft:_The_Dark_Templar_Saga:_Shadow_Hunters)
Dark Templar Saga: Twilight (http://starcraft.wikia.com/wiki/StarCraft:_The_Dark_Templar_Saga:_Twilight)

Ah. Another Stukov fan! Excellent. I've always been a big fan of Stukov ever since I saw him and realized he was Russian. He is, without a doubt, my favourite character.

Although I will warn you that if I'm playing one of my old characters she will try to get in Stukov's pants. Even if he is infested.

Hopefully some more SCL guys will post their interest for the RPG in here :D

Yes. Hopefully, we'll have Visions of Khas at the least and that makes three people.

NamesAreUseless
10-18-2009, 04:14 PM
Yeah I'll read up on those articles, thanks.

Although I will warn you that if I'm playing one of my old characters she will try to get in Stukov's pants. Even if he is infested.
... let's not have the RP go over PG-13 please ...

Anyways, I was wondering: Could we post an RPG recruitment thread in the Starcraft 2 section? It is technically related to Starcraft 2 in a way (RPG will take place after SC1). That might be a stretch, but I just want to find the forum where our thread will get the most views (but then it might get bumped down really easily in that section). Maybe the Universe Lore section would be best?

Sarov
10-18-2009, 04:19 PM
Yeah I'll read up on those articles, thanks.

... let's not have the RP go over PG-13 please ...

Anyways, I was wondering: Could we post an RPG recruitment thread in the Starcraft 2 section? It is technically related to Starcraft 2 in a way (RPG will take place after SC1). That might be a stretch, but I just want to find the forum where our thread will get the most views (but then it might get bumped down really easily in that section). Maybe the Universe Lore section would be best?

Yeah. They are very interesting books. They give you lots of insight into the Protoss history as well as a bit into their culture. If anything you should read the articles at the very least, and, if you can, get a copy of all three books and read just the memory portions. They're easy to locate because they are all italicized.

Heh. It won't be going over PG-13. Don't worry. I had no intentions of it happening - I do realize that minors might be watching and minors might be members.

Besides, I could easily modify her a bit. Actually I probably won't have to. The most she'll probably do is hug him, attempt - emphasis on attempt - to kiss him and try to help him etc. She might drop a hint very subtlely but she's not as bad as you think she is. When I first used her, the people I was RPing with and I were able to keep it PG-13.

NamesAreUseless
10-18-2009, 04:23 PM
Yeah. They are very interesting books. They give you lots of insight into the Protoss history as well as a bit into their culture. If anything you should read the articles at the very least, and, if you can, get a copy of all three books and read just the memory portions. They're easy to locate because they are all italicized.

Heh. It won't be going over PG-13. Don't worry. I had no intentions of it happening - I do realize that minors might be watching and minors might be members.

Besides, I could easily modify her a bit. Actually I probably won't have to. The most she'll probably do is hug him, attempt - emphasis on attempt - to kiss him and try to help him etc. She might drop a hint very subtlely but she's not as bad as you think she is. When I first used her, the people I was RPing with and I were able to keep it PG-13.
I just thought of something: I think its MOST important that members in this RPG try to mainly stick with the major characters to start (like Raynor, Mengsk, Kerrigan, Artanis, Zeratul, Stukov, etc.) before we start allowing made-up characters. It will help start-up the main RPG a lot easier when we have established characters who all have a certain relationship with the other characters.

Oh and when I mean start, I mean that each member should be allowed to pick up a second character after a little while if we don't get enough players.

Sarov
10-18-2009, 04:31 PM
I just thought of something: I think its MOST important that members in this RPG try to mainly stick with the major characters to start (like Raynor, Mengsk, Kerrigan, Artanis, Zeratul, Stukov, etc.) before we start allowing made-up characters. It will help start-up the main RPG a lot easier when we have established characters who all have a certain relationship with the other characters.

Oh and when I mean start, I mean that each member should be allowed to pick up a second character after a little while if we don't get enough players.

That's actually a really good idea. It helps people get used to RP, perhaps again if they already RP. If I were playing I would probably start off as Zeratul since I consider myself pretty good at RPing a Protoss and I know him well.

We should also have a maximum number of characters per person. We should start off with one, with each person playing a major or not major character. For instance, Raynor and Matt Horner respectively. Then, after a while, we increase it to two. I think however that the maximum number of characters should be two to keep from things getting too confusing and to keep people from having incredible walls of text.

Oh I came up with another idea: to have a thread specifically for who is playing what. For instance, have a list of the people RPing and a dash and then their character(s). That would help keep track of who is playing who.

NamesAreUseless
10-18-2009, 04:37 PM
That's actually a really good idea. It helps people get used to RP, perhaps again if they already RP. If I were playing I would probably start off as Zeratul since I consider myself pretty good at RPing a Protoss and I know him well.

We should also have a maximum number of characters per person. We should start off with one, with each person playing a major or not major character. For instance, Raynor and Matt Horner respectively. Then, after a while, we increase it to two. I think however that the maximum number of characters should be two to keep from things getting too confusing and to keep people from having incredible walls of text.

Oh I came up with another idea: to have a thread specifically for who is playing what. For instance, have a list of the people RPing and a dash and then their character(s). That would help keep track of who is playing who.
All good ideas, especially the only "1 main character to start" part. I guess also the "1 minor character as well" should be allowed too. We might have to allow 2 main characters to start if there are too few interested in the RPG however.

Anyways, about the recruitment thread: my best thought is to have it in the "StarCraft Universe Lore Discussion" section. Its not really "Off-topic" on Starcraft, an RPG is Lore-related, and its probably the place to have people who would be most interested in RPing (those interested in Lore) to most easily see the thread.

So do you think I should start the recruitment thread or not yet?

Sarov
10-18-2009, 04:46 PM
All good ideas, especially the only "1 main character to start" part. I guess also the "1 minor character as well" should be allowed too. We might have to allow 2 main characters to start if there are too few interested in the RPG however.

Anyways, about the recruitment thread: my best thought is to have it in the "StarCraft Universe Lore Discussion" section. Its not really "Off-topic" on Starcraft, an RPG is Lore-related, and its probably the place to have people who would be most interested in RPing (those interested in Lore) to most easily see the thread.

So do you think I should start the recruitment thread or not yet?

Yeah, that could work to. For instance, if it's one year after Brood War, there isn't much I could do with Zeratul since he's not in the best mood. And, according to the Dark Templar series, he spend most of his time on a planet moping. Poor Zeratul. But anyways, it makes sense to have another character, but it should definitely be minor for reasons that should be obvious - mainly balancing the amount of power players have.

That's true. It's probably best suited to the Lore Forum. If not, the mods will move it so no worries there.

You could wait to see what Visions of Khas responds with or you could go ahead and make the recruitment thread if you want. Really, it's up to you.

NamesAreUseless
10-18-2009, 05:33 PM
I went ahead and started the initial recruitment thread:

http://sclegacy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1632

Visions of Khas
10-18-2009, 06:53 PM
I'm interested, but I don't know how much attention I'll be able to pay to this kind of project. I haven't been able to read all of this thread. Classes are killing me right now. That said, I'll try to contribute whatever I can.

Duly noted. =D

NamesAreUseless
10-18-2009, 10:44 PM
Just wanted to post in here that the SCL Starcraft RPG is now an official Social Group here on the forums :)

http://sclegacy.com/forums/group.php?groupid=21

The Social Group is invite-only, and only those interested in roleplaying in the RPG will get an invite. For those interested in joining the Starcraft RPG that haven't already received an invite, please post your interest in the Recruitment thread:
http://sclegacy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1632

For those who are a part of the Social Group: please read the OOC thread and give me your opinion on what should be done about the 1000 max character limit (as explained in THIS (http://sclegacy.com/forums/group.php?do=discuss&group=&discussionid=61) thread).