PDA

View Full Version : Solution for a black screen on launch?

Cayris
03-19-2013, 02:41 PM
I know everyone is probably sick of hearing this question, so I apologize in advance. That being said, I downloaded a digital copy of the StarCraft anthology and I'm out of ideas.

Of course, I don't harass forum boards without Googling some solutions first, so just to avoid repetitive solutions, I have tried:

Running screen resolution in the background
Running compatibility modes
Running as administrator
Running 256 color and/or 640 x 480 screen resolution
Executing a bat file to disable explorer
Every fix, patch, etc. I could get my hands on

Also, drivers are updated (both sound/video)
DirectX is fine and updated
Firewall is not blocking
Neither is anti virus
I have neither a virus or Malware on my computer
and forcing my RAM from 6GB to 4GB is useless (it works with VTM for some reason)

The copy I am using is legal - in case someone thinks it's the file - and I have uninstalled/reinstalled.

Frankly, I'm desperate. I am out of ideas, I am frustrated with searches that go over the above solutions repeatedly...

The only random thing I can tell you is that if I hold down ALT + Tab (and don't let go) the game appears fine and works.

If anyone has any other solution to fix the display (which is black or sometimes has a discolored part of my previous window), I would be eternally grateful. This is my last resort (I don't have another computer to try the game on, currently).

Also, as a side note, Blizzard support has no further ideas.

The_Blade
09-03-2013, 03:01 PM
This might be a start.

I've experienced similar problems in the past, but never as extreme. My window manager failed to load all of StarCraft in a single frame, so i could only see fractions of the menu over a black window. I ALT+TAB several times and it would be fixed by the 4th or 5th.

The source of your problem might be one of several programs, but installing a third party window manager might override all of them and fix your issue.

Hope this helps.

eshall
09-17-2014, 12:00 AM
Nice post. I like it. Thanks for sharing these information. Keep it up.

- - - Updated - - -

Nice post. I like it. Thanks for sharing these information. Keep it up.