PDA

View Full Version : sc is the first game into space

x[H]yTrOjAn
10-03-2009, 06:24 AM
this thing says in 1999 an astronaut took a copy of sc into space with him because he was a big fan. i read this on sc2forums, and i was wondering if anyone has any truth/facts behind this:
http://vilegaming.com/trivia.php?id=22

Gradius
10-03-2009, 07:17 AM
It's true.

Norfindel
10-03-2009, 09:22 AM
And it's old news. Was on the old Blizzard SC webpage :)

x[H]yTrOjAn
10-04-2009, 08:11 PM
man, i wish i could play it in space. thatd be the ultimate game "immersion"

Zero
10-05-2009, 11:17 AM
Actually, the CD was brought into space, but due to the delicate nature of the instruments on board, it wasn't allowed to be played. Apparently the CD running would interfere would interfere with something. I've taken that tour three times already, and they show it every single time, but I can't remember the exact reasoning. There was something important, other than NASA not wanting their astronauts to be screwing around up there.

Norfindel
10-05-2009, 01:25 PM
Actually, the CD was brought into space, but due to the delicate nature of the instruments on board, it wasn't allowed to be played. Apparently the CD running would interfere would interfere with something. I've taken that tour three times already, and they show it every single time, but I can't remember the exact reasoning. There was something important, other than NASA not wanting their astronauts to be screwing around up there.
Makes sense. For them to be allowed to turn a notebook on up there, the notebook would need to be warranted not to generate any interference at very strict levels, much more stringent than normal commercial use.

Remember that you cannot use electronic equipment even on a plane during takeoff and landing.

Space is the harshest of enviroments. Humans survive up there because of technology. Most stuff doesn't have any margin for error.

Josue
10-06-2009, 03:05 PM
StarCraft#Legacy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/StarCraft#Legacy)
would interfere would interfere...:eek: :D lol.
About it not being played... I wonder if they could even had the time since they must be too busy with the mission.

Zero
10-07-2009, 02:39 PM
About it not being played... I wonder if they could even had the time since they must be too busy with the mission.

Hey, that's super cereal right there, had to repeat it repeat it!

Alzarath
10-16-2009, 12:42 PM

What mission? What has nasa ever done up there besides jump around in a suit? The most important thing I've ever heard from being in space is just landing.

sandwich_bird
10-16-2009, 12:59 PM
What mission? What has nasa ever done up there besides jump around in a suit? The most important thing I've ever heard from being in space is just landing.I remember that they installed some sort of mirrors on the moon to prove that something in Einstein's theory wasn't right or something about gravity, I don't really remember exactly what it was.

Alzarath
10-18-2009, 06:49 PM
I remember that they installed some sort of mirrors on the moon to prove that something in Einstein's theory wasn't right or something about gravity, I don't really remember exactly what it was.

Woohoo. Proving a dead guy right.

sandwich_bird
10-18-2009, 08:58 PM
Woohoo. Proving a dead guy right.dead guy Wrong*

Well that's one of the most important part of science (proving that something is wrong or right) and since not many new stuff happens in physic these days it was pretty important.

Equiliari
10-21-2009, 07:19 PM
The most important thing I've ever heard from being in space is just landing.

Don't forget all the nice technology the space program has given us.

Freespace
10-22-2009, 01:52 PM

Oh you mean like the inertial stabilizer I grafted on my car last week? Can't even feel them sharp turns now.

Norfindel
10-23-2009, 08:03 AM
Yeah, i'm using an intelligent foam pillow myself. Thanks NASA! :)

I very much prefer tech advancements been raised from peaceful activities.

Rukuah
12-14-2009, 10:04 PM
Just out of curiosity has there been a video game played by an astronaut in outer space? or is NASA to strict :P

The_Blade
12-15-2009, 12:21 AM
Just out of curiosity has there been a video game played by an astronaut in outer space? or is NASA to strict :P

If StarCraft can't be played up there nothing can, unless you want astronaouts playing dead space.

Rukuah
12-15-2009, 03:32 PM
haha :D that'd be some experience :P

n00bonicPlague
12-17-2009, 11:42 AM
I wonder if they'll ever take SCII into space......

Warsaw
02-23-2010, 11:09 PM
One day will need to go into space. Everything will do now will let our great grand children live dreams we have now. I'm sure one day someone will play SC2 is space.

screw_ball69
02-24-2010, 01:25 AM
One day will need to go into space. Everything will do now will let our great grand children live dreams we have now. I'm sure one day someone will play SC2 is space.

Man them earth to moon base games lag so badly.

//MavericK\\
02-25-2010, 04:18 PM

Yeah, one day some kid will open an old shoe box that belonged to his great grandfather and inside will be a dinged up copy of SCII.

Naturally, the shoe box would have originally contained Nike Gravity Boots.

Freespace
02-26-2010, 02:04 PM
Man them earth to moon base games lag so badly.

StarCraft 2 Earth-Moon Edition will be turn based.

LoTuS
03-02-2010, 03:41 AM
StarCraft 2 Earth-Moon Edition will be turn based.

Spells would be imba. xD

Hav0x
03-02-2010, 09:45 AM
Well if they were using lasers to send packets back and forth between earth and the moon, it would only be about a second and a half delay for packets to get there. Which would technically be playable on starcraft but you wouldn't be able to micro for shit.