PDA

View Full Version : Heart of the Swarm unit stats/lore and beta access

Kimera757
12-20-2012, 11:29 PM
You can find up-to-date info on Heart of the Swarm unit stats on this Blizzard page: http://us.battle.net//sc2/en/blog/8218586 (Naturally the wiki will be updated with this info soon.)

Beta access is now freely available for everyone who preordered Heart of the Swarm before December 18th, and will still be available if you preorder afterward (although in waves, rather than immediately). Link: http://us.battle.net//sc2/en/blog/8218587

TcheQuevara
12-21-2012, 07:45 AM
Thank you mr. Head! I'll be reading them. Keep the good work with the wiki.

EDIT: Just read it.

My overall impression: most of the entries just say "someone designed a new weapon".

Isn't lore supposed to add flavour to a game? Those lore entries have no flavour at all. You see, maybe they didn't want to add any ney element to the lore. For example, marine and zealot lore pretty much define a big part of their races' personlities. So maybe they didn't want to add more information because they thought that could change things too much.

But an unit doesn't need to be relevant story-wise to be fun. Reapers and firebats, for example, have fun information about them that doesn't change anything in the game universe.

The only actual backstory we got here is:

- Kachinsky's late brother designed the Widow mines (loved it)

- There is an order of young dark templar who can manipulate time.

And that's it. All the rest of it are basically descriptions of what the units do.

I don't think the writers asked themselves this question: "if anyone remember this unit's lore, is it going to add any flavour to battles?"

Hawki
12-21-2012, 08:35 AM
Technically the widow mine is inspired from Victor's old designs. He was long dead before the Second Great War occured.

Looking at the entires, I know what you mean, but I'm not too put off by it. We got plenty of unit lore in WoL via the armoury, so chances are we'll get similar treatment, at least for the zerg (in that, their core genuses aren't specified as I'm guessing we'll assimilate them during the campaign itself). And the Tempest and mothership core, I think there's more going for them than you say. New motherships being built, new war machines being designed, the Oracle possessing extremely advanced technology...looks like the protoss are getting back in action. Not sure how that'll factor into LotV, if at all, but time will tell I guess.

I'm more put off by the widow mine though - its unit description seems to harken back to outdated game mechanics. Go figure.

Gradius
12-21-2012, 08:37 AM
Gradius's checklist to making cookie-cutter zerg unit bios:
1) Mention "parasitic symbiotes".
2) Talk about "viscous" fluids.
3) Give us gameplay information instead of actual lore.

Other than that the descriptions were ok. I yearn for the days of the SC1 lore manual.

Visions of Khas
12-21-2012, 11:07 AM
8Y2YerZEY7o

The responses on there are pretty depressing. But am I the only one who's just pissed at these half-assed unit portraits? I feel like I could break that Dark Templar's neck, and the Swarm Host looks atrocious.

Kimera757
12-21-2012, 11:25 AM
I wouldn't be upset at the first. You're talking about a psychic scholar, not a warrior.

Visions of Khas
12-21-2012, 11:30 AM
It still seemed incongruous to me to see a frail Protoss, regardless of profession or caste. It strikes me more as a wizened elder than a youth.

But I agree that the Widow Mine has the best entry so far. :]

EDIT Oh hey, you can rotate the 3D models! SWEET!

DemolitionSquid
12-21-2012, 02:16 PM
These asshats have had weeks to edit this, and they still say the Mothership Core has Energize and the Viper siphons heath.

I wish the world had ended this morning. We no longer deserve to reign.

Turalyon
12-21-2012, 11:19 PM
I suppose the lore entries are intentionally spare so as not to spoil their introductions in the game itself.

Then again, I too miss the actual lore descriptions of the units like in the original manual. Pure fluffery at it's best.

Triceron
12-22-2012, 02:34 PM
We can only hope for a 'Book of Cain' for SC2, but I have a feeling Warcraft would get one first.

Hawki
12-22-2012, 05:10 PM
We will. A "Warcraft Encyclopedia" has been confirmed along with a Book of Cain sequel. No word on a StarCraft one though.

Technically it's understandable since in terms of lore, StarCraft is arguably the smallest of the 'big three.' And after BoC, I'd gladly pick up any encyclopedia from one of said three. Still, hope SC gets some love eventually as well.

Pr0nogo
12-22-2012, 06:10 PM
Blizzard are lore-master-fuck-ups. SC will never have any 'love' from them.

Kimera757
12-22-2012, 08:56 PM
I'm pretty sure StarCraft is the second (after Diablo), although still well behind Warcraft in terms of lore development and love it gets from Blizzard.

TcheQuevara
12-22-2012, 10:44 PM
Well Kimera, in one of the Q&As Brian Kindregan said he wasn't participating in anything like a Starcraft "book of cain". So unless he was hiding information, we got nothing.

Starcraft is the smallest of the three indeed. They just translated Tides of War (Warcraft) and The Order (Diablo) to Portuguese, but they didn't do it to Flashpoint. To me it's a sign that they aren't investing that much in Starcraft lore. Could also be just a sign that Starcraft is not as popular in Brazil, but you know, Blizzard's strategy in Brazil, IMHO, haven't been trying to supply our demand; they're trying to expand here. I'd risk to say there isn't that much demand of Warcraft books in Brazil either, but it's an investment. The book works as advertising for the game. Why wouldn't they be doing the same effort for Starcraft in Brazil? Seems to me it's because of the central strategy.

We make all those assumptions. I wish we could bet on them.

Hawki
12-22-2012, 11:47 PM
Were the above books translated simultaniously with the English releases though? Flashpoint has only been out for a month after all.

(Puts on nerd cap.)

As for lore investment...well, let's be honest, Warcraft will always get the top spot. It's been around the longest, it's got the most fans, it's the most lucrative via WoW, so it makes sense that it gets the most investment. StarCraft and Diablo are pretty even I guess at the end of the day. Diablo's got a longer core game series, while StarCraft has had more EU works written for it. Looking at product chronologies, StarCraft had a vacuum between 2002 to 2006, while Diablo had one from 2007 to 2012. One could call Diablo the black sheep of the 'big three' in that it never had an RTS phase, doesn't have "craft" in its title (nah, really?) and was an inherited universe rather than one Blizzard really designed itself. Or you could call StarCraft the black sheep by virtue of it being the only sci-fi media of the 'big three' (although Titan could change that). And if we're only focussing on game releases, both of them had an extremely long hiatus over the last decade, not helped by the cancellation of Ghost and the original version of Diablo III.

Personally I'd label Diablo as the 'black sheep' of the three, if only because of its different origins and the difference between D2 and D3 (across the entire spectrum) feels far more pronounced than the difference between SC1 and SC2 (to me at least). Still, storywise I guess, there are distinct projections concerning where each series will go post-LotV and D3, so we'll probably be following them for awhile.

(Takes nerd cap off.)