PDA

View Full Version : HoTS: Theory Crafting - Gameplay

Carsickness
11-09-2012, 02:53 PM
A lot of cool ideas have been coming out of us as of late, so I wanted to keep the ball rolling. What other cool changes can we think of?

Here's some I was thinking of lately:

ZERG:

Overseer:

- Allow the overseer's contaminate ability to prevent warp ins if used on a pylon.

I find that it's hard for Zerg to counter Protoss all-ins due to the ever re-in forcing abilities of Protoss. Sure you can flank with some lings to kill a pylon, but a quick warp in can stop that. What Zerg needs is an instant-cast ability to prevent (temporarily) the toss mechanic, and allowing enough time for Zerg to defend its self. Or to be used offensively while attacking to prevent the Protoss from re in forcing their defenses (as long as all pylons can be contaminated.
Obviously it wouldn't have the ability to cancel a warp-in in progress or effect a warp prism ;).

- Give the old Oracle Siphon ability to the overseer. Allow it to poop out an advanced form of creep that when buildings are enveloped by it, the overseer siphons minerals from those buildings. 1-2 minerals per second, per building, or something like that.

Zerg buildings can not be placed on this special creep, nor does it give a movement speed boost to Zerg units.

Nydus worm:

- Give it a upgradable armour increase, similar to the ultralisk's, to increase it's survivability late game.

TERRAN:

Seige Tank:

-Give its shots, while in Seige mode, a lasting effect.

Shots would leave a AOE effect on the ground for a certain amount of time, that would damage biological units that pass through it. It could even do "burning" damage causing a DoT effect as well.

Maybe even allow it to be a universal upgrade that would extend this effect to all large ammunition types; like the widow mine, Thor, and Nuke.

Ghost:

-Change it's snipe ability so that is costs less and does less damage, but "stuns" the target, preventing them from using abilities for a few seconds (such as psi-storm, or fungal)

The "shock round" would also effect non energy based abilities, such as Seige mode, or the warp prism's pylon mode. Or even stim pack if you really wanted to.

PROTOSS:

Voidray

-New ability called "void link".

Once the Voidray has fully charged its attack, it also unlocks the void link ability, which allows it to chain 2 units together (psionically), bringing them closer together, and slowing their movement speed if they try and seperate.

This ability would work on a cooldown and could be stacked by other voidrays. You would click on a unit, then click on another unit you would want to link it to. Multiple units could be linked to the same "host" unit, effectively grouping up units if you had enough voidrays.

Can be used to link enemy units, friendly units, or any combination of both. And, once again, can only be used if the Voidray is fully charged.

Oracle:

- Allow the Pulsar Beam ability to also target friendly structures. Instead of damaging these structures, it would replenish their shields.

This could be used in conjunction with the MS core's photon overcharge to help keep a nexus alive while it shoots back. Or with a photon cannon to keep it alive longer, which would force the opponent to target the oracles first.

Similar to how Terrans can mass repair a bunker, or Zerg mass healing a crawler, the oracle could mass "shield" a friendly structure (if the oracles had enough energy)

So what do you guys think? What other cool ideas do you have?

DemolitionSquid
11-10-2012, 02:51 PM
I think Overseers should be able to launch their Changelings from range to keep the Overseers safe, like the Infestor lobs Infested Terrans. Might encourage more Changelings.

Izaak
11-11-2012, 09:16 AM
Adding my own thoughts:

The Viking was originally promoted as a "hit and run" unit. However in practice, it completely fails in the "hit and run" part. Its just not cost effective to use Vikings to raid a mineral line; usually they'd get shot to pieces for their trouble. Adding to that is a Viking specializes in aerial combat; nobody really builds Vikings except to counter protoss or zerg air.

My suggestion is: give Vikings a Dive ability.

The viking moves at 2x speed towards the ground, transforming just before landing.
After landing, the Viking either gains a temporary 50% increase in attack speed, or grabs the nearest bio non-massive unit and fires a concentrate burst at it, disabling it for 1-2 seconds.

I feel this would make the Viking a more viable strategy in mech builds, allow them to fulfill their supposed purpose, and give them an escape route from pursuing enemies.

Triceron
11-11-2012, 12:49 PM
Adding my own thoughts:

The Viking was originally promoted as a "hit and run" unit. However in practice, it completely fails in the "hit and run" part. Its just not cost effective to use Vikings to raid a mineral line; usually they'd get shot to pieces for their trouble. Adding to that is a Viking specializes in aerial combat; nobody really builds Vikings except to counter protoss or zerg air.

My suggestion is: give Vikings a Dive ability.

The viking moves at 2x speed towards the ground, transforming just before landing.
After landing, the Viking either gains a temporary 50% increase in attack speed, or grabs the nearest bio non-massive unit and fires a concentrate burst at it, disabling it for 1-2 seconds.

I feel this would make the Viking a more viable strategy in mech builds, allow them to fulfill their supposed purpose, and give them an escape route from pursuing enemies.

Then you just made the banshee and tech completely redundant. Why rush banshees when you can make vikings with this at a much more efficient price, and they will also provide your army with ample Air support.

Making units fill more roles runs into the same problem the Infestor has right now. The unit becomes too good at too many things and it will shift the game closer to the Broodlord/Infestor game styles we see with Zerg.

Carsickness
11-16-2012, 06:41 PM
I think Overseers should be able to launch their Changelings from range to keep the Overseers safe, like the Infestor lobs Infested Terrans. Might encourage more Changelings.

Ya, I can agree to that. Another small change i'd like to see is a separate rally point for the Mothership Core. Zerg already has it for Drones/units, so it shouldn't be too hard to implement.

DemolitionSquid
11-16-2012, 07:10 PM
Ya, I can agree to that. Another small change i'd like to see is a separate rally point for the Mothership Core. Zerg already has it for Drones/units, so it shouldn't be too hard to implement.

I don't really see a huge need for that, its kind of supposed to stay in your base most of the time anyway.