PDA

View Full Version : XP in HotS

sandwich_bird
10-25-2012, 12:07 PM
Our next major patch of the Heart of the Swarm beta is coming very soon, and with this update, beta players are going to be able to join us in testing a new feature for StarCraft II. Leveling introduces a progression system to the game that offers rewards to players of all skill levels.

http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/blog/7681240/...

This is a good idea overall but personally I think they need to add more than portraits as rewards.

Quirel
10-25-2012, 12:31 PM
Oh, goodie. Yet another game with a cosmetic progression system.

mr. peasant
10-25-2012, 01:27 PM
Oh, goodie. Yet another game with a cosmetic progression system.

Would you prefer a gameplay progression system (i.e. a higher level player has better stats and an in-game advantage)? Because I sure don't.

That being said, ugh with all these Skinner Box features.

Noctis
10-25-2012, 01:46 PM
why not give different unit skins as well?
id play like crazy to get an old school carrier look

sandwich_bird
10-25-2012, 01:58 PM
why not give different unit skins as well?
id play like crazy to get an old school carrier look

Browder mentioned that it's impossible to do unfortunately. I don't really remember why though. But I agree otherwise. Seems like a no-brainer.

Caliban113
10-25-2012, 02:07 PM
Hmm - wonder why? - People who got the collector's edition got that 'winged' Thor - thats essentially the same idea. (?)

The_Blade
10-25-2012, 02:27 PM
Browder mentioned that it's impossible to do unfortunately. I don't really remember why though. But I agree otherwise. Seems like a no-brainer.

It had to do with the loading time of games. They didn't want to increase the loading time of a game from 1 to 5 minutes, just for the skins.

Pr0nogo
10-25-2012, 02:35 PM
If they compressed their engine, I don't even need to finish this sentence.

DemolitionSquid
10-25-2012, 02:37 PM
Its a readability issue with skins. If one unit has 5 different skins, that's 5 times more unit models the players need to recognize instantly in the heat of battle. Only large, high supply, uncommonly seen units should ever get multiple forms.

HydraHydra
10-25-2012, 05:46 PM
Diablo3-ish :D

Quirel
10-26-2012, 12:02 AM
Would you prefer a gameplay progression system (i.e. a higher level player has better stats and an in-game advantage)? Because I sure don't.

That being said, ugh with all these Skinner Box features.
The above is actually my opinion. A purely cosmetic progression system is the lesser of two evils, but still evil.

Carsickness
10-26-2012, 01:21 AM
I like the idea. You're playing anyways, so you might as well get some (more) rewards for it.

Though I think they could do more.
I once brought up an idea where you could unlock 3D unit models to display on your profile. Something that could then be modified further through more unlocks.
For an example: After 5 Zerg wins, you unlock the Zerling model. Then at 10,15,20,ect wins you earn a modification; like bigger claws that drip blood, or larger back spikes.
Eventually you could start mix and matching parts to get something really unique!
At 50 wins you unlock the hydra model, and can choose to start unlocking hydra parts, or continue with the zergling.

It's very similar to the CoD style of leveling, I know. But I always enjoyed unlocking cool things all the time. It keeps me playing and wondering what I'll get next. Plus blizzard could add themed rewards as well, like ones for Halloween or Christmas.

And while you wait for a game to start, you could play around with your guy. Or look at someone elts'.

TcheQuevara
10-29-2012, 12:33 PM
I like ideas about unlocking new game music and/or sound effects. If we can (could?) change that in 5 minutes with MPQ editors, should be even easier for them to bring the MPQ editor into the SC2 client.

Unit alternative skins could be optional. So for example, I'm playing against DemoSquid. He's grumpy and doesn't like the alternative skins, I enjoy life and want to use my hellions with mexican hats. He toggles alternative skins off in his Options, I don't. So all he sees are normal skins, and I have fun like the casual money cow I am.

Actually, I think they should allow 2 kinds of skins: "serious" ones and "silly" ones. The serious ones would be female ghosts, camouflaged marines, SC1 carriers. The silly ones would be anything related to hats and beyond. We could have the options: no alternate skins, just serious skins, all alternative skins.

DemolitionSquid
10-29-2012, 12:40 PM
The game would still have to load all the skin options, whether both players were seeing them or not. More graphics will always increase lag, and lag is bad.

Also, wtf is this obsession with hats? TF2 needs to keep its hat fetish to itself.

Pr0nogo
10-29-2012, 01:12 PM
Fuck hats.

In fact, fuck TF2.

Visions of Khas
10-29-2012, 02:35 PM
I kinda want a reward that has Zerglings explode in a shower of confetti. Certainly a rip off Halo, but it would be fun nonetheless.

Turalyon
10-29-2012, 08:41 PM
I think "meh" pretty much sums it up for me.

If you like the achievement-type stuff they already have in there now then you're gonna love the XP mechanic because it takes it further. If not or you didn't care in the first place, then the XP mechanic isn't likely to change your opinion either way.

TheEconomist
10-30-2012, 02:09 PM
In fact, fuck TF2.

Hates Money. Hates SC2. Hates TF2.

The trifecta of Polish trollishness has been completed.

Pr0nogo
10-30-2012, 02:45 PM
Nah, TF2 can be enjoyable. I just took a contrarian position because I knew it'd get you out of your foxhole.

Triceron
10-30-2012, 04:55 PM
I'd love SC1 skins for units... if they actually made models that looked like SC1 units and not the style of the weird looking goliaths and wraiths in SC2.