PDA

View Full Version : Stephano Suspended For A Month

DemolitionSquid
10-14-2012, 11:57 AM
http://kotaku.com/5951516/professional-starcraft-gamer-suspended-for-saying-he-had-sex-with-a-14+year+old

I don't see what the big deal is. He made a joke. Its not like he's Micheal Vick or Ben Roethlisberger or Jerry Sandusky.

mr. peasant
10-14-2012, 01:05 PM
Guess they're trying to say that some things are just in bad taste and shouldn't be joked about. Heh... guess there's now such a thing as the humour police?

And the funniest bit is that if he'd joked about someone just a year older, he'd been safe (or at least have a defense) since the age of consent in France (where he's from) is apparently 15.

Pr0nogo
10-15-2012, 09:36 AM
People are retarded.

sandwich_bird
10-15-2012, 01:45 PM
I'm gonna step in and say that whoever reported this is either a troll or is trying to sabotage Stephano's career on purpose. I mean, the only way you could be offended by something like this is if you're new to the internet. When I defeat players online, they sometime tell me stuff way worst than that(aka: ''IMA KILLLL U IN RL THEN RAPE UR MUM''). This is especially true within the Starcraft community. I believe this is a common experience shared by other gamers and so a meaningless joke about having sex with a minor would be ignored in almost all cases.

With that said, it's almost impossible that someone new to the internet would have been watching something has specific as a pro gamer live stream.

TcheQuevara
10-15-2012, 02:48 PM
I think he probably did have sex with a 14 yo. Why would anyone make a joke about that? It isn't funny...

I also think this culture of people being desperate about having sex with celebrities or sub-celebrities is stupid, but 14 yo people are usually mature enough to have sex with people without being "abused". They're probably hurting themselves, not being hurt by others.

The_Blade
10-15-2012, 09:35 PM
I kind of understand where this is coming from. It's basically coming from the idea that famous people can't do "bad" things, due to the high probability of negative consequences.

EG made the right calls, I believe. He was streaming, so he was representing his own team as a popular character. In many ways was he unprofesional, but in the end it was the perseption of this viewer (guy who reported him) that called so much attention.

I myself don't see how this may be offensive after a serious thought process was made. It was probably an inside joke. He is 19, biology demands that you look at beautiful ladies around your age. Younger people may look older, just like older people may look younger. Had he said 17, there would still be an outrage (even when it is socially acceptable to have 2 years over your partner).

Gradius
10-16-2012, 08:08 AM
Because pedophilia is "funny" and "cool".

The_Blade
10-16-2012, 09:51 AM
Because pedophilia is "funny" and "cool".

Oh, Pedophilia (the crime) isn't "cool" nor "funny". I claimed it was an inside joke. I don't understand it, and therefore can't find it funny. As well, I just don't feel offended by Stephano's words, because they are just words. It's just like if I find Mexican jokes offensive. Finding any joke offensive implies that you accept that exagerated reality as the reality. In some way, making that difference makes you more racist than the guy who told the joke. If I don't feel particularly fond of "death baby jokes" or "pedophile jokes" I just walk away from anyone telling them.

If Stephano had been caught in the act, it would have been offesive and I would feel offended as a SC2 player.

TcheQuevara
10-16-2012, 11:25 AM
What, is he 19? A 19 yo kid having sex with a 14 yo kid is ordinary. People worry too much.

I agree with Blade thou, that he should be more professional while he's on screen. EG response was exxagerated, but anything less than that and they would be accused of being "too light on crime".

Sarov
10-18-2012, 09:22 AM
The decision really isn't that hard to understand. It's called damage control.

What, is he 19? A 19 yo kid having sex with a 14 yo kid is ordinary. People worry too much.

Some people have legitimate reasons. Either they're a parent or are protective about their siblings. Some people worry because sexual maturity =/= mental maturity. For others, it's about protecting young people from making potentially bad decisions. Teenage moms, anyone?

Others realize that even if something is socially, culturally and/or historically acceptable, it doesn't mean it's right.

Just saying.