PDA

View Full Version : Fast expand strategies

flak4321
10-09-2012, 03:42 PM
In my renewed watching of youtube videos in the last month, I have noticed the high level competition doing a lot of early expand, 2 to 3 base builds. In trying to replicate the builds, I find myself getting caught by semi-early pressure. I would like to pose a few questions to try and fine tune my approach. Note that this generally goes for smaller maps like Entombed and Ohana. I'm fine on larger maps most of the time.

Some of my general start-up notations: PvT I 2 gate and cyb before expo at about 22 probes. PvZ I usually go only one gate and expo around 16 probes, unless I spot a fast pool without an expo, in which case I go to a one base build and expand around the 9 minute mark.

First off is what should my build and timing be, optimally? How should I react to a fast pool while still getting an early expand? And what signs should I look for in scouting Terrans that imply a rine rush, and what is a good way to react? My biggest issue is producing troops while expanding. Am I power-probing too hard?

Attached is a typical PvT of mine. I got lucky that he didn't push early on me. He had close to 20 rines vs. my 4-6 normal lots. I do win this game with a significant macro advantage (my opponent's scouting and harassing was just terrible). The game is about 25-30 minutes in length.

Pr0nogo
10-10-2012, 08:09 PM
http://sclegacy.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=27

flak4321
10-11-2012, 09:11 AM
http://sclegacy.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=27

Thanks! But this only sends me to the main forum for SC2. We're you trying to direct me to a thread on this very topic? If so, thank you very much! I don't have time to look in more depth right now, but I really do appreciate your effort and will look again in a few hours. ;)

Edit: Just took a quick look at the Protoss Players thread and methinks I should read that one very carefully. Of course, as I wrote this thank you I also received an invite to the Beta, so now my time is going to be even tighter! ;)

TheEconomist
10-11-2012, 10:19 AM
He's saying you posted in the wrong subforum. There's a subforum specifically for strategy. This is the general topic subforum.

sandwich_bird
10-11-2012, 11:55 AM
Moved.

flak4321
10-11-2012, 01:22 PM
He's saying you posted in the wrong subforum. There's a subforum specifically for strategy. This is the general topic subforum.

Now it makes more sense. Generalized links without some text can be confusing. Thanks dude!

Pr0nogo
10-11-2012, 04:59 PM
I am first and foremost a stupid and failed troll when I come here, so when I do provide remotely helpful posts, I do not put a lot of effort into them.

flak4321
10-18-2012, 11:36 AM
I am first and foremost a stupid and failed troll when I come here, so when I do provide remotely helpful posts, I do not put a lot of effort into them.

Lol. Nonetheless I thank you for said effort. As far as I am concerned there are no stupid or failed trolls, simply those who, as in any task, require a certain amount of experience before they feel satisfactory in their own eyes. Just because we aren't all Squid-god level trollers doesn't mean we can't aspire. ;)