PDA

View Full Version : Heart of the Swarm BETA LIVE

Shadow Archon
09-04-2012, 08:07 PM
HotS Beta (http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/blog/7157306/Heart_of_the_Swarm_Beta_Now_Live_-9_4_2012)

Well, it's live.

topsecret221
09-04-2012, 08:46 PM
To the Streams!!!
Personally, I'm watching TB

Gifted
09-04-2012, 09:19 PM
Indeed, it is live. ^_^

Skyze
09-04-2012, 09:37 PM
Ahh so jealous! Hope I get a key soon!

Visions of Khas
09-05-2012, 04:04 PM
Hush now, children, and watch.

QVcHTX1M-H8

TheEconomist
09-05-2012, 09:52 PM
Make love to Blizzard for no invite.

That is all.

Gifted
09-06-2012, 02:15 AM
Invites have not been rolled out yet past the basic Friends and Family at this time. So don't lose hope yet :)

Alar
09-06-2012, 02:25 AM
I'm so happy. ;_;

TheEconomist
09-06-2012, 08:08 AM
If I'm not considered a friend or a part of the family then make love to them.

</sarcasm>

Skyze
09-06-2012, 10:28 AM
It's sad that I used to be on the "blizzard friend list" and got every beta but now they removed that program. I thought it was a good program, my bias aside; it worked based on people emailing them bugs and if it was something they didn't know about, they put you on the list for the next beta game.

I rather that than just completely random picking of bnet accounts, but Hopefully they have a system such as types of computers to test, etc.

Noctis
09-06-2012, 11:51 AM
It's just pros casters and other public figures in the beta currently I'm guessing first public wave next week

Visions of Khas
09-06-2012, 01:32 PM
Is it just me, or do Warhounds seem imbalanced? I see them wreaking havoc all across a map, and their Missiles undo Immortals in a snap.

Then again, I'm a terrible player, so I could be wrong.

DemolitionSquid
09-06-2012, 01:39 PM
Is it just me, or do Warhounds seem imbalanced? I see them wreaking havoc all across a map, and their Missiles undo Immortals in a snap.

Then again, I'm a terrible player, so I could be wrong.

The general consensus is that Warhounds are currently OP. In the pre-Beta Custom Map they were OP, and their stats are the same in Beta. However, there's still room for it to simply be a meta-game issue, with people not countering them correctly.

Caliban113
09-06-2012, 07:11 PM
Wowz - the day is finally here!! - Been watching QXC mostly, (tho we viewers had to spend about 45 mins convincing him to stop 2-raxing everybody) and...yeah Warhound = ridiculous. From everything i'd read, it sounded they were weak against anything but mech - instead, they are strong against everything, with an added punch to mech - I dont expect that to last long tho.

QXC beat WhiteRa like three games straight......'spyeshul tyektiks' and all.....

flak4321
09-07-2012, 01:33 PM
Hey guys. Long time no post. A year at least. Anywho, my 2 cents on the warhound: I agree it is OP. I do not think the stats are too far off either. What I haven't seen in youtube videos is the missile activating the immortals' hardened shields. I believe it should.

The Oracle looks like it will require something anti air and either long ranged or very fast to effectively counter. Otherwise I feel it is a good fit for the game. I think I may men tempest, whichever is the one that covers the mineral patches. ;)

I feel the swarm host may also be a little OP early and UP late (it seems this was intended), but I need to see it in ZvZ and ZvT before I can pass complete judgement.

Additional Warhound comment: I haven't noticed its effectiveness vs non mech units too much because the videos also usually have a fair number of hellions moving with them. I will admit the hellion/warhound combo is currently a bit much.

DemolitionSquid
09-07-2012, 01:42 PM
Additional Warhound comment: I haven't noticed its effectiveness vs non mech units too much because the videos also usually have a fair number of hellions moving with them. I will admit the hellion/warhound combo is currently a bit much.

I've noticed this too. Battle Hellions obliterate Zealots and Sentries, and Warhounds slaughter Stalkers and Immortals. Without higher tech Templar/Archon or Colossus, it looks like Protoss ground armies get utterly mulched by the simple Factory combo.

Visions of Khas
09-07-2012, 01:54 PM
I'm also getting the impression that Protoss ground are lagging. Watched a game where Stalkers were obliterated by an equal number of Roaches. They're at the mercy of Warhound; Battle Hellion combo. Granted, none of these players used High Templar or did much in the way of micro. Still it worries me.

Hey Demo, you on Guild Wars 2? Thinking about buying a copy once I get my battlestation up and running. How's it going for you?

TheEconomist
09-07-2012, 04:36 PM
Without higher tech Templar/Archon or Colossus, it looks like Protoss ground armies get utterly mulched by the simple Factory combo.

Of course, those are easily countered by Ghosts and Vikings.

We've been through this before guys. Terran will always be majorly imbalanced until heavily nerfed to be only slightly imbalanced.

DemolitionSquid
09-07-2012, 05:47 PM
Hey Demo, you on Guild Wars 2? Thinking about buying a copy once I get my battlestation up and running. How's it going for you?

No, haven't got it yet. Still low on funds to buy a new PC, can only use my Mac right now. ATTN DEVS: MAKE MORE MAC GAMES DAMMIT!

RamiZ
09-07-2012, 05:52 PM
Don't even get me started on Ravens buff that supposed to happen in WoL 1.5 patch, but it happened now. They got 2.5 movement speed from 2.25, which isn't huge, but they also buffed Seeker Missile to cost 100 energy, instead of 125. That is cool buff, but to be honest, Seeker Missile needed range buff, not this, it is already high damaging AoE spell that you can't evade with half of your units, and it does instant damage. You can't even pre-split that much.

TheEconomist
09-07-2012, 06:48 PM
ATTN DEVS: MAKE MORE MAC GAMES DAMMIT!

Might as well tell Toyota to make scooters.

flak4321
09-11-2012, 03:13 PM
I'm also getting the impression that Protoss ground are lagging.

Look at it this way: for HOTS, all the terran and zerg additions are ground based, while Toss got air buffed, sort of, which means and imbalances in the new units/techs are going to show up best/worst vs the unchanged Toss ground. This is, of course, only a semi valid argument on the grounds that Toss had the best anti-ground game in WoL. The final point here would be to admit it's too early in the beta to be sure, so we need to see some more action to have a final verdict, but the evidence is mounting.

Unrelated note: anyone on the edge of their seats waiting for a pro zerg to abduct a group of tanks/collos/thors/etc then follow with NP on them before killing them?

flak4321
09-11-2012, 03:16 PM
Don't even get me started on Ravens buff that supposed to happen in WoL 1.5 patch, but it happened now. They got 2.5 movement speed from 2.25, which isn't huge, but they also buffed Seeker Missile to cost 100 energy, instead of 125. That is cool buff, but to be honest, Seeker Missile needed range buff, not this, it is already high damaging AoE spell that you can't evade with half of your units, and it does instant damage. You can't even pre-split that much.

I honestly feel this is better than an SM range buff would have been because you can just slightly get in and out faster on harass runs. Furthermore, the missile itself is kinda slow in accelerating, which gives a fast player a snipe opportunity on the missile, not necessarily the raven, assuming we can attack the missile.

Quirel
09-12-2012, 01:07 AM
Might as well tell Toyota to make scooters.
http://cdn.thenextweb.com/files/2010/09/mac01.jpg

Shadow Archon
09-12-2012, 01:14 AM
The best way to get a computer is to make one yourself.

Rake
09-12-2012, 02:26 AM

Yeah, but it is pretty intimidating to someone who has never done it before. I want to do that for my next computer but I will have to spend ages researching it beforehand.

TheEconomist
09-12-2012, 07:58 AM

That's the way it used to be, for years, and that's why I made my own for years. However, nowadays, you can get a computer built to your specifications with warranty and support for cheaper than you can do yourself from NewEgg.com

Gifted
09-12-2012, 08:19 AM
Tychus.. that's MOSTLY true. However, the cases where it costs more, it's worth it as we're talking a difference of 10-20 dollars or so.

I'd pay 20 dollars to ensure the parts put in first time work and get a warranty. Just too damn good for cost.

topsecret221
09-12-2012, 08:44 AM
Yeah, but it is pretty intimidating to someone who has never done it before. I want to do that for my next computer but I will have to spend ages researching it beforehand.

I was in your boat a little while back. It can be intimidating, but after the first part snaps into place (and they definitely SNAP into place), and you realize that it didn't actually break, it's just in securely, it's a lot less nerve-wracking.

TheEconomist
09-12-2012, 10:23 AM
I'd pay 20 dollars to ensure the parts put in first time work and get a warranty

I'd pay even more. Luckily, I don't have to. More often than not its cheaper. I don't know when this happened (cheap Chinese/Taiwan labor era?) but somewhere between my Atthlon 64 7800GT build (2004-2005) and my current build, the norm went from being 2x the price for, if you're lucky, the same quality you can build, to getting the same plus warranty for cheaper.

For exaple, my i5 750 HD 5770 build cost me 750$. That's cheaper at NewEgg.com. In addition, I got a 50$ rebate for a V8 (super-duper unnecessary fan sink) which made it basically free and 30$ or so rebate for my 700 Watt top notch power supply So, basically, free fan sink and power supply for something that was already cheaper than newegg.com. I wasn't planning on overclocking, but with what I was given, I got my 2.66 i5 to 3.46Ghz easy peezy. Could probably go higher but I really don't need it, especially for SC2.

The place was iBUYPOWER.com by the way. Had the computer three years now and have had not even the single slightest hiccup.

Shadow Archon
09-12-2012, 01:34 PM
While I know you can make a desktop, but can you make a laptop? Is it harder? I've never really heard of a custom laptop before and I am just wondering.

I just got a new laptop (hilariously the screen broke two weeks after purchase and is currently in the system for repair :mad:) and before I can ever custom build me one truly up to my dream standards, I'll have to wait until after college just due to time and funds.

TheEconomist
09-12-2012, 07:13 PM
The short version, no, you can't really have a custom laptop in the way you can a PC.