PDA

View Full Version : I thought that sc:l was THE source of info for everything sc

sandwich_bird
09-24-2009, 11:25 AM
Guess I was wrong. The newest news you guys have is an interview from blizzcon from last month that was probably supposed to be on your blizzcon coverage page. No mentions were made about the possibility of GOM tv shutting down or the Skyhigh vs NaDa video that recently surfaced. Unless you go on the forums, you won't know those kinds of things. I know you have a Starcraft "weekly" but I believe it would be better if you would post all the news you can get on your main page. Just an opinion. Also you could update your poll more often.

Blazur
09-24-2009, 12:44 PM
Guess I was wrong. The newest news you guys have is an interview from blizzcon from last month that was probably supposed to be on your blizzcon coverage page. No mentions were made about the possibility of GOM tv shutting down or the Skyhigh vs NaDa video that recently surfaced. Unless you go on the forums, you won't know those kinds of things. I know you have a Starcraft "weekly" but I believe it would be better if you would post all the news you can get on your main page. Just an opinion. Also you could update your poll more often.

The forums themselves are actually a better representation of active news. There's many users here that frequent multiple forums and cross post relevant discussions. Between all of us we've pretty much got all the media outlets covered, and it usually surfaces in the SC2 forum at one point or another.

ChaosSmurf
09-24-2009, 01:50 PM

Two uninteresting pieces of news does not a weekly make.

GOM isn't shutting down, it just might not be broadcasting pro games. I made the post about that in the forum myself, noone really cared.

EDIT: also hang on, 50 minutes of exclusive footage isn't interesting? Okay, we won't provide any more of that then, we'll just rehash news every day!!!1

AJ
09-24-2009, 02:01 PM
SC:L's frontpage is usually used to focus on larger pieces of exclusive content, larger analysis, coverage, etc.

There are several projects in the works to find the best method to deliver short/fast news delivery when just trying to get users aware of what's happening without delivering SC:L's signature in-depth look.

sandwich_bird
09-24-2009, 02:17 PM
Two uninteresting pieces of news does not a weekly make.

GOM isn't shutting down, it just might not be broadcasting pro games. I made the post about that in the forum myself, noone really cared.

EDIT: also hang on, 50 minutes of exclusive footage isn't interesting? Okay, we won't provide any more of that then, we'll just rehash news every day!!!1I'm not saying that the 50 minutes are boring or anything just that I thought they were supposed to be at blizzlive last month anyways. In fact, good job on this, the interview was cool. I can understand that some complications might have occurred and so you couldn't post it back then. My point was that for users that don't go on the forum, they wouldn't get all the recent news.

SC:L's frontpage is usually used to focus on larger pieces of exclusive content, larger analysis, coverage, etc.

There are several projects in the works to find the best method to deliver short/fast news delivery when just trying to get users aware of what's happening without delivering SC:L's signature in-depth look.Thanks.

LordofAscension
09-24-2009, 05:59 PM

There are several projects in the works to find the best method to deliver short/fast news delivery when just trying to get users aware of what's happening without delivering SC:L's signature in-depth look.

As AJ has pointed out SC:L's focus is on being the best at what we do. We really don't have an interest in posting rumors or "little fish news" on the front page like we do our in-depth stuff. Please don't mistake my comments though - we definitely want to deliver every part of SC tidbits we can get our hands on - we just want to do it in a different way...

~LoA

n00bonicPlague
09-24-2009, 06:07 PM
I noticed it, but it was in the BW section. Plus the title didn't exactly describe the subject matter.

http://sclegacy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1434

Gradius
09-25-2009, 01:49 PM
just that I thought they were supposed to be at blizzlive last month anyways.
The video file itself actually had a bunch of problems - the sound for example was screwed up (I had to run a bunch of restoration filters on it), and the re-encoding took a few days b/c the file was frickin huge and had a frame rate of 400, amongst other things. Plus we were really busy @ that time.

My point was that for users that don't go on the forum, they wouldn't get all the recent news.
The type of people that visit our front page do so very infrequently, like maybe once a week/month, but there is a hideous amount of them. These people don't care about the small/random news because they don't follow SC virtually every day like we do. And for those that do, they browse the forums.

But yeah, I'd like to reaffirm what AJ/LoA said, we still need a way to get this smaller stuff out there.

n00bonicPlague
09-25-2009, 01:57 PM
frame rate of 400
holy......

DemolitionSquid
09-30-2009, 10:55 PM
But yeah, I'd like to reaffirm what AJ/LoA said, we still need a way to get this smaller stuff out there.

I thought we had a SC:L twitter account? Just replace that god-awful Zealot navigation with a twitter update bar for little things said in the forum.

Blazur
09-30-2009, 11:48 PM
I thought we had a SC:L twitter account? Just replace that god-awful Zealot navigation with a twitter update bar for little things said in the forum.

That's a good idea. It'll attract search engines too. Now that you've beefed up your staff you ought to be able to get somebody using Twitter regularly, or you could just draw in the BlizzLive feed.

Slightly related, but why is there no SCL Facebook page?

Zero
10-01-2009, 10:59 AM
I asked LoA about Facebook, but he doesn't seem too concerned about it. However, since someone else has mentioned it, it couldn't hurt to start a group for StarCraft Legacy. I'll bring it up with the other staff, and if I can get some support with it, I'll start it up and post an announcement.

Blazur
10-01-2009, 12:08 PM
I asked LoA about Facebook, but he doesn't seem too concerned about it. However, since someone else has mentioned it, it couldn't hurt to start a group for StarCraft Legacy. I'll bring it up with the other staff, and if I can get some support with it, I'll start it up and post an announcement.

FB could help to propel and this community while adding personality. Right now we're all just anonymous geeks on a forum.

LordofAscension
10-01-2009, 01:05 PM
We're definitely interested and looking into this. It'll be good for SC:L - I just don't personally use facebook.

~LoA

Gradius
10-01-2009, 01:17 PM
Squeezing a twitter feed into those tiny side-bars would look hideous. Unless it's expendable or something.

Pandonetho
10-01-2009, 03:08 PM
I just don't personally use facebook.

I hope it's not myspace that you're using.

Zero
10-01-2009, 03:09 PM
BTW guys, there's no official announcement yet, but for those interested, here's the link to the new SCL facebook group:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=142806339710

Pandonetho
10-01-2009, 03:11 PM
This post now declares that I am the third member to join the FB group.

First not counting admins...