PDA

View Full Version : Widow Mine - Damages friendly?

Blazur
08-13-2012, 08:57 PM
Does anybody know if the new widow mine damages friendly units? I saw in the latest battle report the T player using mines to defend his mineral line from oracle harass. Was thinking it would be ideal if the oracle got tagged to just hover over the probes and blow them all up.

Rake
08-14-2012, 03:45 AM
I suspect that they will have to damage friendly. Without having played the game (of course) they just seem overpowered. It is hard enough to attack terran as it is.

Of course, the new units of the other races might change that.

It is also possible that the supply cost of the widow mine might help balance it.

Blazur
08-14-2012, 07:13 AM
It would be a difficult thing to balance. Banelings don't damage friendly, so it seems it would be fair for the Terrans to also not to friendly splash. Otherwise if a unit were targeted, what's to stop them from simply going all Akbar and charging headlong into the fray to damage enemies?

Rake
08-14-2012, 11:50 AM
It would be a difficult thing to balance. Banelings don't damage friendly, so it seems it would be fair for the Terrans to also not to friendly splash. Otherwise if a unit were targeted, what's to stop them from simply going all Akbar and charging headlong into the fray to damage enemies?

Banelings may not damage friendly but they don't do as much damage either.

If a terran wants to stop his own mines used against him then he can just position them further away. I just think it will be unreasonable to go through a tight defense of mines, tanks, turrets etc. Sure late, late game armies will be able to break through but terran often seems too safe in the midgame when they don't have to spread out and before their opponents get 'siege'.

Caliban113
08-15-2012, 01:28 PM
Right now they don't damage friendly units, but have a fairly long delay - will be really effective vs Muta - whatever happens, Zerg players will have to stop to micro caught units out of the fray - meanwhile Terran has a decent window to get counter units in to finish them - They seem OP on a glance but hard to tell

GnaReffotsirk
08-24-2012, 06:24 AM
Banelings are different. Widow mines latches to a target without opposition. You can't stop it from latching, you can only stay away from range and avoid being latched unto. To stop it, you need detection.

I've asked the OP's question as well, as widow mines seem to be one of the "unstoppables".

Fred111
12-26-2012, 01:43 AM
What I want to know is if that splash damage can hit friendly units or not. If so, a skilled player could even turn the mine against the player who placed it.

Also, I wonder whether killing the unit that it's attached to will cause it to detonate or simply destroy the mine...