PDA

View Full Version : Battle.net security alert

Kimera757
08-09-2012, 06:16 PM
Link: http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/securityupdate.html

Blizzard has bad news. People are going to have to change their security questions and other such Battle.net details soon.

Players and Friends,

Even when you are in the business of fun, not every week ends up being fun. This week, our security team found an unauthorized and illegal access into our internal network here at Blizzard. We quickly took steps to close off this access and began working with law enforcement and security experts to investigate what happened.

At this time, we’ve found no evidence that financial information such as credit cards, billing addresses, or real names were compromised. Our investigation is ongoing, but so far nothing suggests that these pieces of information have been accessed.

Some data was illegally accessed, including a list of email addresses for global Battle.net users, outside of China. For players on North American servers (which generally includes players from North America, Latin America, Australia, New Zealand, and Southeast Asia) the answer to the personal security question, and information relating to Mobile and Dial-In Authenticators were also accessed. Based on what we currently know, this information alone is NOT enough for anyone to gain access to Battle.net accounts.

We also know that cryptographically scrambled versions of Battle.net passwords (not actual passwords) for players on North American servers were taken. We use Secure Remote Password protocol (SRP) to protect these passwords, which is designed to make it extremely difficult to extract the actual password, and also means that each password would have to be deciphered individually. As a precaution, however, we recommend that players on North American servers change their password. Please click this link to change your password. Moreover, if you have used the same or similar passwords for other purposes, you may want to consider changing those passwords as well.

In the coming days, we'll be prompting players on North American servers to change their secret questions and answers through an automated process. Additionally, we'll prompt mobile authenticator users to update their authenticator software. As a reminder, phishing emails will ask you for password or login information. Blizzard Entertainment emails will never ask for your password. We deeply regret the inconvenience to all of you and understand you may have questions. Please find additional information here.

We take the security of your personal information very seriously, and we are truly sorry that this has happened.

Sincerely,
Mike Morhaime

The_Blade
08-09-2012, 10:15 PM
I guess it's time to use the authenticator.

Cotcan
08-10-2012, 03:26 PM
Yay, probably more spam mail that I don't need.

Noctis
08-10-2012, 03:30 PM
Anonymous..the holy company of Blizzard hath been defiled. Slay the heathens.

GnaReffotsirk
08-10-2012, 08:50 PM
Chinese hackers.

TheEconomist
08-10-2012, 09:15 PM
That is incredibly racist. Clearly these fuckers are Russian.

DemolitionSquid
08-10-2012, 09:17 PM
It was an inside job. Someone upset about how shitty D3 is because their ideas were ignored in dev meetings.

TheEconomist
08-10-2012, 09:25 PM
Breaking news: Diablo games are always shit at first release.

Hawki
08-10-2012, 10:59 PM
Breaking news: Diablo games are always shit at first release.

Really?

I'm not being snarky, I'm genuinely curious. Don't want another off-topic forum tangent, but assuming you played the previous games as they came out, I'm curious as to what their states might have been like back then, and if there's a chance for D3 to transcend the hate that's been piled on top of it.

TheEconomist
08-10-2012, 11:16 PM
v1.01 Diablo II was awful and almost an entirely different game than in later patches. v1.07 was about what v1.08 was to StarCraft, Huge. Then, of course, there's v1.10 which was also huge and actually made the game fun late-game. The expansion is also a very different beast. Gameplay wise, I see no reason for this to trend to end. But, the main gripes are with the story and atmosphere. Not much they can do about that.

The_Blade
08-11-2012, 12:32 AM
ilmao 150 mineral pool :P

Kimera757
08-11-2012, 02:35 PM
Now on-topic:

Gamers on the North American server should change their password: http://us.battle.net/support/en/article/important-security-update-faq#1

Pr0nogo
08-13-2012, 02:25 AM
wheee

DemolitionSquid
08-13-2012, 11:26 AM
Why can't Francis ever be happy?

EgMSmIWwyiU

Noctis
08-13-2012, 01:15 PM
i wouldnt be surprised if thats the 10th authenticator in line to enter his stomach

hardest ive laughed in a while. too bad id tell him to shut the FF****** up if i ever see him. lolll
wait why does blizz have his ssn....

Caliban113
08-13-2012, 04:45 PM
Is that guy for real....? He sounds like really psycho version of Neil Goldman.

http://familyguy.wikia.com/wiki/Neil_Goldman

Seriously, he blames blizz for the world's hackers?

GnaReffotsirk
08-13-2012, 07:03 PM
Now I know how that noob who badmouths when pawned looks like.

But yeah, he should be mad at the Illuminati.

Noctis
08-13-2012, 09:09 PM
Now I know how that noob who badmouths when pawned looks like.

But yeah, he should be mad at the Illuminati.

illuminati? lol dude this was clearly an attack by the knights templar on the Hashashin/Assassin Brotherhood friendly Blizzard company. where's desmond miles?!?!?!?

CikaKure
09-08-2012, 08:46 PM
Hello people of the Xel Naga . I have a problem related to this topic (i think so) .
I can not log in to battle.net /forums, and have no problem login inside the game .
It just says that i dont know my own name, or e-mail , although its sending me e-mail on the very same e-mail adress , and naming me with Dear .... the name i am trying to log in with. I have loged in million of times with the same e-mail/name pass , and havent changed any info on my account... I can not ask this question on battle.net forums , obviuosly . I tried writing a ticket to blizz, but it wont let me in of course, "wrong e-mail name combination" . Is there any way out? Thanks

Noctis
09-08-2012, 08:57 PM
call blizzard customer support