PDA

View Full Version : Izsha's Origin

topsecret221
06-07-2012, 06:24 PM
This occured to me a few years back, but has anyone else considered that Izsha may have been the "cerebrate" of Kerrigan's Brood War campaign? I mean, they haven't had any problem filling our nameless character's shoes before (ie, Liberty, Artanis).

Had it been present at the QoB's crowning achievements, it makes more sense why it's remained loyal to her as opposed to the other Brood mothers, which were made much later...

DemolitionSquid
06-08-2012, 08:54 AM
Read this for her origin: http://starcraft.wikia.com/wiki/Izsha

Sheliek
06-08-2012, 03:30 PM
Read this for her origin: http://starcraft.wikia.com/wiki/Izsha

Depending on when Hybrid took place, though, that doesn't necessarily preclude her being placed as the playable character of Brood War.

Turalyon
06-08-2012, 11:45 PM
I don't care as long as it's not revealed to be another "Aidan"... :rolleyes:

Visions of Khas
06-09-2012, 05:52 PM
What was wrong with Aidan? You're talking about Diablo III, right?

Kimera757
06-09-2012, 08:19 PM
Depending on when Hybrid took place, though, that doesn't necessarily preclude her being placed as the playable character of Brood War.

Yes it does. Izsha is not and has never been a cerebrate.

Sheliek
06-10-2012, 03:44 AM
Yes it does. Izsha is not and has never been a cerebrate.

Blizzard likes retcons.

Aldrius
06-10-2012, 10:46 AM
That doesn't make Izsha a cerebrate.

Sheliek
06-10-2012, 12:25 PM
That doesn't make Izsha a cerebrate.

Blizzard can easily say Izsha is the player from Queen of Blades. All it means is it was no longer a cerebrate. Is it likely? Nope.

Aldrius
06-11-2012, 07:57 AM
Blizzard can easily say Izsha is the player from Queen of Blades. All it means is it was no longer a cerebrate. Is it likely? Nope.

Well my point is they haven't done that, and there's no indication that they will, so the point is totally moot.

Regardless we've found out she's that woman from the short story, it's unlikely that story took place prior to Brood War, and while it could, Occam's Razor dictates that it doesn't I'd say.

Visions of Khas
06-11-2012, 12:40 PM
It doesn't seem either Izsha or Abeloth are suited to combat or command, so I doubt Izsha is the "former cerebrate." She's more an interactive information containment device, a living computer; whereas Abeloth is an evolution engine/catalyst.

Kimera757
06-11-2012, 01:04 PM
Blizzard specifically pointed out that Izsha appeals to Kerrigan's humanity, and compared to Abathur she's the "good guy". We also know that Kerrigan won't tolerate cerebrates anymore. One wonders why she tolerates Abathur. He's kind of like a cerebrate, and was made by the (tainted) Overmind.

Sheliek
06-11-2012, 10:48 PM
Well my point is they haven't done that, and there's no indication that they will, so the point is totally moot.

Regardless we've found out she's that woman from the short story, it's unlikely that story took place prior to Brood War, and while it could, Occam's Razor dictates that it doesn't I'd say.

Meh, it's just random theory-crafting. I like they're finding somewhat good ways of incorporating other fiction. Makes them feel like that have a point in the canon.

Blizzard specifically pointed out that Izsha appeals to Kerrigan's humanity, and compared to Abathur she's the "good guy". We also know that Kerrigan won't tolerate cerebrates anymore. One wonders why she tolerates Abathur. He's kind of like a cerebrate, and was made by the (tainted) Overmind.

I will actually be using modified Abathur models for various cerebrates in my campaign. Thought I was the only one who noticed the similarity.

Visions of Khas
06-12-2012, 12:01 PM
We also know that Kerrigan won't tolerate cerebrates anymore. One wonders why she tolerates Abathur.

Is Abby like a Cerebrate? He doesn't seem like a command creature to me, just an evolution engine. I'm not sure where you getting this from.

Sheliek
06-12-2012, 12:51 PM
Is Abby like a Cerebrate? He doesn't seem like a command creature to me, just an evolution engine. I'm not sure where you getting this from.

I have to assume it's the resemblance. If I were to imagine what a cerebrate would look like, in story-mode as an interactable character, I'd say Abathur is probably damn close as you can get.

On a related note, and mostly off-topic (just a quick yes or no is good): does this fit what you'd imagine a theme for Abathur would sound like? I'm running through all the music I can think of to find reference-tracks for the musicians working on LotXN, and this one stands out to me.

Hhe4uYK5Nfk

Kimera757
06-12-2012, 07:37 PM

How many other sentient creatures did the Overmind create? It's evolutionary abilities are much like a cerebrate's too.

Kerrigan made queens to replace cerebrates. They lead their broods and govern the evolution of said breeds. The key difference if they're not created by the Overmind.

Turalyon
06-12-2012, 09:30 PM
What was wrong with Aidan? You're talking about Diablo III, right?

I don't know where to begin... What I originally meant to say was that I am NOT hoping for yet another hackneyed tomato surprise as a means of character "development" (if one can even call it that). Blizz seems to be very fond of these "revelations" as of late.

Izsha is the "good guy" and Abathur is the "bad guy". Who wants to bet that this will get flipped?

I don't understand how it's that hard for Kerrigan to tolerate Abathur given the number of contrivances that have already happened. Besides, why not? Everyone else seems to tolerate Kerrigan after she was depowered/whatever. Maybe at some point in the story Kerrigan is able to manipulate the artifact to expunge the "taint" from the remaining Zerg. Of course, this is dependent on whether Kerrigan is actually free from her own taint...

The_Blade
06-12-2012, 11:42 PM
Izsha is the "good guy" and Abathur is the "bad guy". Who wants to bet that this will get flipped?

I don't understand how it's that hard for Kerrigan to tolerate Abathur given the number of contrivances that have already happened. Besides, why not? Everyone else seems to tolerate Kerrigan after she was depowered/whatever. Maybe at some point in the story Kerrigan is able to manipulate the artifact to expunge the "taint" from the remaining Zerg. Of course, this is dependent on whether Kerrigan is actually free from her own taint...

I'm seriously flipping out if we get another "good guy & bad guy" plot. I do hope Kerrigan will feel awkward about the Zerg during HotS, and Abathur should be a tool to communicate this feeling to the player. I expect nothing less than an "Alien" campaign in HotS, just like we had in SC episode 2.

BUT we know Blizzard, Abathur(s) will be part of the Dark Voice directive and we will shit bricks when we rebuild the swarm for them. It does smells fishy to create a being that is not bound to the Zerg which also controls all the evolutions going on.

Sheliek
06-13-2012, 12:42 PM
I'm seriously flipping out if we get another "good guy & bad guy" plot. I do hope Kerrigan will feel awkward about the Zerg during HotS, and Abathur should be a tool to communicate this feeling to the player. I expect nothing less than an "Alien" campaign in HotS, just like we had in SC episode 2.

BUT we know Blizzard, Abathur(s) will be part of the Dark Voice directive and we will shit bricks when we rebuild the swarm for them. It does smells fishy to create a being that is not bound to the Zerg which also controls all the evolutions going on.
I'm going to feel very unoriginal if Blizzard goes the same route I go with when it comes to Abathur D:.

TcheQuevara
06-19-2012, 02:37 PM
Kerrigan made queens to replace cerebrates. They lead their broods and govern the evolution of said breeds. The key difference if they're not created by the Overmind.

Myself, I always thought the key difference is that when Cerebrates lack a leader, they panick and try to merge into a new leader. Queens are submissive to stronger individuals, but if there is any doubt of who is the stronger one, they'll fight for power until this is settled.

Which proved a good idea since the Zerg were left without a major leader for at least 2 years between WoL and HotS. So they survived, with their new un-centralized power structure.

About Abby, he seems to be a fan of "ancient Zerg features". He probably has plenty of these himself, just as the Cerebrates did.

And about Izsha being the player from Ep VI, it would be the same of making Horner the player from Ep I. Which didn't happen. BTW, I think Izsha looks were somehow influenced by Diablo 3. Which is a great thing, I rather see Starcraft closer to Diablo than closer to WoW.

Visions of Khas
06-19-2012, 02:45 PM
Myself, I always thought the key difference is that when Cerebrates lack a leader, they panick and try to merge into a new leader. Queens are submissive to stronger individuals, but if there is any doubt of who is the stronger one, they'll fight for power until this is settled.

Well, Cerebrates basically embodied the consciousness of their individual broods. Queens however direct them from afar. It seems the Zerg are gravitating towards a more individualistic, independent mindset. This is reinforced by the fact that one of Kerrigan's goals is to develop a "Metamorph", a Zerg creature of directing its own evolution.

By teh way, I just now got your name, Tche. I feel stupid. :P

TcheQuevara
06-20-2012, 01:17 PM
Metamorph? Intriguing :) where is it from?

About the power structure changes Kerrigan did in the Swarm, I wonder if she did it just because it is better this way, or because she was preparing herself for the possibility of getting killed (so the Swarm could keep fighting even without a leader). Not to mention that maybe she did it all with the Prophecy and the Dark Voice in mind. I hope this is a big thing in HotS.

By teh way, I just now got your name, Tche. I feel stupid. :P

I'm curious on what you got. There is an easter-egg in it for people who have Brazilian "folklore" knowledge ;)

Aldrius
06-20-2012, 07:13 PM
Eh, I always got the impression that the SC2 queen was the same as the SC1 queen lore-wise, just fulfilling it's gameplay and lore description more accurately than it had in vanilla and brood war.