PDA

View Full Version : If Blizzard remakes SC1/BW for SC2...

Sheliek
05-27-2012, 07:51 PM
... as is the commonly held interpretation of StarCraft: Phoenix, what would you want to see in it?

Personally, I don't want a straight port. That would be boring, and excessively lazy, given how most official remakes end up in terms of added content.

I want characterisation added to our player characters, along with voice-acting. We know Artanis and possibly Selendis were the Executors of the protoss campaigns, so that's a no-brainer. More dialogue can be written, existing lines can be changed slightly to accommodate this, et cetera.

I want a WoL-style campaign in terms of gameplay and story mode. This means more varied mission objectives, less base-stomps (although a few each campaign, for old-time's sake, would be unobjectionable). A story mode in the style of the Hyperion or Leviathan would be great as well.

Looking at just Rebel Yell, we could have the first three missions take place in the Magistrate's office, with characters like Jim Raynor and Michael Liberty (because we know this is the only way they'll ever use him in a game at this point) to talk with, and a less-garbage news source to watch. The next six missions would be aboard the Hyperion (oh look, recycled sets? Easy job), with Mengsk, Kerrigan, Liberty, Raynor, Horner, and eventually Duke all talk-withable.

Every structure and unit should obviously appear (no getting lazy like they did in the Overmind cinematic; there were not spine crawlers at the Fall of Aiur), with unique models. These should all appear in the Galaxy Editor if you've bought this game, of course. Dark Templar should be buildable in during the first protoss campaign, once you've gained their alliance. All heroes should have unique models and abilities, as they (mostly) do in StarCraft II.

Redoing the dialogue, given my above requests, is likely. Some might not like it, but if you're going to do new dialogue, this is a must.

Two more additions I would like: units that, lore-wise, did appear in StarCraft and Brood War, but which first appeared in WoL or HotS, should be usable in the BW campaign. Wyrms for the Dominion instead of wraiths or vikings, for example, or perhaps Kerrigan's zerg will have phased out the old queen in favour of the new queen for her campaign.

Lastly, a couple of do-this-or-that mission branches. The story will be the same (all dialogue, at least plot-important bits, will play out the same), but you can do one mission or another. This could reward the player with a new unit or ability for your existing units, but are otherwise just for gameplay variety.

Those are just my ideas, and I'd love to hear everyone else's while we pass the time waiting for Heart of the Swarm and Phoenix, which is supposedly coming out around when it does.

And yes, I'd be perfectly willing to pay full-price for this, even if they split Brood War and Vanilla as two separate products (so long as Brood War is, justly, priced as an expansion), though I suspect they'll cost as much as HotS and LotV will.
This belong in SC2 Discussion, on the grounds that it is a remake of StarCraft I in SC2's engine. So no movey.

Hawki
05-27-2012, 08:47 PM
I'm beginning to wonder if Phoenix even exists. The leak seemed credible, but if Phoenix existed, I would have thought we'd have heard something by now. And while I don't see much of a need to remake the old games, you have some good ideas. So, in response:

I want characterisation added to our player characters, along with voice-acting. We know Artanis and possibly Selendis were the Executors of the protoss campaigns, so that's a no-brainer. More dialogue can be written, existing lines can be changed slightly to accommodate this, et cetera.

That's a good idea. I certainly personally believe that Selendis was the executor in Episode IV and Dark Vengeance and seeing them in the flesh would be preferable to the old silent protagonist format IMO.

I want a WoL-style campaign in terms of gameplay and story mode. This means more varied mission objectives, less base-stomps (although a few each campaign, for old-time's sake, would be unobjectionable). A story mode in the style of the Hyperion or Leviathan would be great as well.

That's another good point. One of WoL's strengths IMO is that its missions showed how unstoppable the zerg could be, that it didn't really allow the player to fight them on equal terms until the Char missions. Some of the missions of Rebel Yell (e.g. Norad II) could benefit from this.

Looking at just Rebel Yell, we could have the first three missions take place in the Magistrate's office, with characters like Jim Raynor and Michael Liberty (because we know this is the only way they'll ever use him in a game at this point) to talk with, and a less-garbage news source to watch. The next six missions would be aboard the Hyperion (oh look, recycled sets? Easy job), with Mengsk, Kerrigan, Liberty, Raynor, Horner, and eventually Duke all talk-withable.

Liked WoL's newscasts myself. I think we'd get similar ones in-game since not only was UNN reporting lies on the SoK as well, but Anderson was sabotaging the propaganda effort from within. It would also be interesting to see the Hyperion in the GW era, namely a bit more polished and SoK imagery on it and the like. Hope they keep the old appearences of the characters though.

Two more additions I would like: units that, lore-wise, did appear in StarCraft and Brood War, but which first appeared in WoL or HotS, should be usable in the BW campaign. Wyrms for the Dominion instead of wraiths or vikings, for example, or perhaps Kerrigan's zerg will have phased out the old queen in favour of the new queen for her campaign.

Lastly, a couple of do-this-or-that mission branches. The story will be the same (all dialogue, at least plot-important bits, will play out the same), but you can do one mission or another. This could reward the player with a new unit or ability for your existing units, but are otherwise just for gameplay variety.

I'd be happy with a linear campaign myself, but I think the units idea is a good one, at least with the Sons of Korhal. I don't see it being applied as readily with the zerg though.

Gradius
05-27-2012, 09:15 PM
... as is the commonly held interpretation of StarCraft: Phoenix, what would you want to see in it?
As awesome as that would be, I really doubt they're going to remake SC1.
1) It'd take away sales from SC1.
2) I could have sworn Browder said they'd leave it to the community in some interview, but don't quote me on that.
3) There's already a good port.
4) There's just no sense in wasting resources remaking something that already exists instead of a new game.

Those are just my ideas, and I'd love to hear everyone else's while we pass the time waiting for Heart of the Swarm and Phoenix, which is supposedly coming out around when it does.

And yes, I'd be perfectly willing to pay full-price for this, even if they split Brood War and Vanilla as two separate products (so long as Brood War is, justly, priced as an expansion), though I suspect they'll cost as much as HotS and LotV will.I have to agree with your ideas. I would pay full price for this as well. What I would love the most though is for Blizzard to actually analyze the retcons and fix them, replacing SC/BW as the new canon.

Liked WoL's newscasts myself. I think we'd get similar ones in-game since not only was UNN reporting lies on the SoK as well, but Anderson was sabotaging the propaganda effort from within. It would also be interesting to see the Hyperion in the GW era, namely a bit more polished and SoK imagery on it and the like. Hope they keep the old appearences of the characters though.Biased news networks actually exist in reality, and they're not (usually) cartoonish jokes like Wol's news casts. I know at least one person who felt insulted by the WoL news casts who actually lives in a country where the media is controlled. I would be too.

Sheliek
05-27-2012, 09:51 PM
As awesome as that would be, I really doubt they're going to remake SC1.
1) It'd take away sales from SC1.
2) I could have sworn Browder said they'd leave it to the community in some interview, but don't quote me on that.
3) There's already a good port.
4) There's just no sense in wasting resources remaking something that already exists instead of a new game.

I have to agree with your ideas. I would pay full price for this as well. What I would love the most though is for Blizzard to actually analyze the retcons and fix them, replacing SC/BW as the new canon.

Biased news networks actually exist in reality, and they're not (usually) cartoonish jokes like Wol's news casts. I know at least one person who felt insulted by the WoL news casts who actually lives in a country where the media is controlled. I would be too.
I understand your points on whether they'd make a remake or not, but big companies do it still from time to time. I can see it, if not during SC2's development cycles, then in the future, at least.

As for the news, that's what I meant. It was too biased (I see it compared to Fox News every now and then, but even they're pretty tame) and a touch too cartoonish. If we saw some very heavy-handed Confederate propaganda, that was obviously propaganda, I'd be very satisfied. Though, perhaps mixing it up either via an option to watch multiple broadcasts between missions. An Umojan source, since they were covertly supporting the Sons of Korhal, would be interesting. Or some of Liberty's broadcasts, showing an in-the-middle-of-things perspective on what you were just doing.

Note to self: make multiple news stations in teh project.

Still, all things considered, I could see this happening as a DLC of sorts after Legacy of the Void.

TheEconomist
05-27-2012, 10:06 PM
Remaking a game doesn't go with Blizzard's design philosophy so I HIGHLY doubt it will happen, ever.

I could have sworn Browder said they'd leave it to the community in some interview, but don't quote me on that.

He did. He also gave a flat out "No!" to whether or not that would do a custom map remake of SC1. Rabid fans conveniently forget that though :D

Sheliek
05-27-2012, 10:07 PM
Remaking a game doesn't go with Blizzard's design philosophy so I HIGHLY doubt it will happen, ever.

How so? I've never heard that before.

Arkalis
05-28-2012, 12:50 AM

Well, I read somewhere (cant remember source) they even use a brand new engine for each game instead of a modified, previous one

Sheliek
05-28-2012, 12:58 AM
Well, I read somewhere (cant remember source) they even use a brand new engine for each game instead of a modified, previous one

True, but that doesn't preclude remakes.

Turalyon
05-28-2012, 02:24 AM
Blizz (or whatever they'll be called then) would probably just give it a good twenty years or so for the real nostalgia to sink in (even though WoL seems to have started it more prematurely for some in a bad way) before they'll kick the remake into overdrive!

Either way, with the current feel of Sc2's story-telling being sub-par, I don't think Blizzard should tackle this too soon lest we get the intensely heated "Blizz is destroying my childhood" claims that such remake will inevitably bring.

Hell, this will happen regardless.... On second thoughts, that buffer of twenty years might actually do the trick.

TheEconomist
05-28-2012, 09:10 AM
@Muspelli: Think about what you know about Blizzard, I mean really think about it. Does a remake really go with that? No.

IIRC, StarCraft II's engine was a modified WarCraft III engine.

Gradius
05-28-2012, 09:30 AM
Well, gameplay first for one. You can't have this just be a single player game. Even HoTS & LoTV which are basically nothing more than the rest of the campaign are giving us more units even though we don't need them. What would the multiplayer for such a remake be? BW already exists and its pro-scene is very refined. As for SCBW in the SC2 engine, again, already exists:

jHApdFodA7Y

TheEconomist
05-28-2012, 09:44 AM
Plus, Blizzard's design philosophy is to work on a game for a decade or so until its done. They focus on doing it right the first time. Therefore, on the most basic fundamental level, a straight-up stand-alone remake just is contrary to the very being of Blizzard as a developer. Especially since you can't really make a remake better than the original. The best they can hope for is for it to not be a disappointment, which is hardly worth their effort given their long development cycles for even the most basic things.

Also, when a company starts having to resort to remakes to generate revenue, you know the company is quickly going down hill. Every company that I can think of off the top of my head that had to start remaking past games, eventually collapsed into a pile of crap. Blizzard isn't there, yet.

I've used up my wall of text quota for the month, so I'm going to leave it at that even though I have a few more points to argue.

Alar
05-28-2012, 10:20 AM
Yeah... as much as I'd love to see a modern version of the original games using the SC2 engine, art, sound, music, and level design... I can see how it would end badly. It could either turn out to be pretty decent, tarnish peoples' memories of the original game (rather silly, if you ask me), or just be... meh. Forgettable.

Now, if they want to work on recreating the maps over a long period of time and release them bit by bit on their upcoming Arcade as free maps, that would be pretty cool. I don't really want to see this as something you should buy, though.

A free product is bound to be played with much more leeway.

Crazy_Jonny
05-28-2012, 10:23 AM
The OP has some nice ideas for a remake but it's still nothing the fans couldn't accomplish with some voice talent and good script writing. 5/6 of the original campaign is already remade (http://www.sc2mapster.com/maps/sc1-episode-1-rebel-yell/) after all.

Sheliek
05-28-2012, 01:23 PM
The OP has some nice ideas for a remake but it's still nothing the fans couldn't accomplish with some voice talent and good script writing. 5/6 of the original campaign is already remade (http://www.sc2mapster.com/maps/sc1-episode-1-rebel-yell/) after all.

Aware of that. And everyone's points are fair arguments against it. Still, shall we return to the threads original purpose: wanton, inane speculation of something that may never exist?

Gradius
05-28-2012, 02:26 PM
Aware of that. And everyone's points are fair arguments against it. Still, shall we return to the threads original purpose: wanton, inane speculation of something that may never exist?
Sure why not.

I want the story mode sets to include awesome versions of the original briefing backgrounds. IMHO there should be two set transitions for each campaign:

Terran: Mar Sara Command Center -> Hyperion
Zerg: Hive -> Zerg Hive link (a virtual reality of sorts)
Protoss: Citadel of the Executor -> Gantrithor

Clicking on Duke should make you actually get up and talk to him face to face instead of him just saying something inane to nobody in particular like "man, you creepin" or "well, i do declare".

Also, the return to aiur cinematic needs to go from this:
GD76JCmSmLs

to this:
q6qVvbZC2Gs

And of course with an obligatory shot of Tassadar standing on his pedestal in the Gantrithor's core, arms crossed as the rest of the fleet warps in.

TheEconomist
05-28-2012, 05:43 PM
Also, the return to aiur cinematic needs to go from this to this

Freespace anyone?

Quirel
05-28-2012, 11:24 PM
Alright. Here's my pitch:

The UED would have a different tech tree than the Confederacy/Dominion. While units and vehicles from the Korprulu Sector would be available later as captured Dominion material is pressed into service, the UED would start with their own units and their own buildings.

Sheliek
05-28-2012, 11:37 PM

The UED would have a different tech tree than the Confederacy/Dominion. While units and vehicles from the Korprulu Sector would be available later as captured Dominion material is pressed into service, the UED would start with their own units and their own buildings.

Agreed 100%.

Hawki
05-29-2012, 04:58 AM
Especially since you can't really make a remake better than the original. The best they can hope for is for it to not be a disappointment, which is hardly worth their effort given their long development cycles for even the most basic things.

Have to disagree in a sense, as I've certainly played remakes that I'd classify as better that the original in some, if not all regards-the remake of Resident Evil is a stellar example IMO.

I want the story mode sets to include awesome versions of the original briefing backgrounds. IMHO there should be two set transitions for each campaign:

Terran: Mar Sara Command Center -> Hyperion
Zerg: Hive -> Zerg Hive link (a virtual reality of sorts)
Protoss: Citadel of the Executor -> Gantrithor

Think you'd need an extra one for the terran campaign for the final mission. For the zerg, the hive link should be reserved for conversations rather than a hub in itself. Also think a behemoth or leviathan would be good for the Aiur missions.

Also, the return to aiur cinematic needs to go from this:

to this:

And of course with an obligatory shot of Tassadar standing on his pedestal in the Gantrithor's core, arms crossed as the rest of the fleet warps in.

Graphics, yes. Execution, no. Unless they're changing the story of The Fall, it wouldn't work contextually.

Freespace anyone?

As in, what? Graphics? Gameplay?

It's a nice idea in itself, but I think the campaign's a bit too short to show a true transition, and would feel anti-climatic in that by the time I get to Char, it shows how big my tech tree is...by showing how much I'm relying on the tech of convict scum instead of stuff "made in Earth.":p

TheEconomist
05-29-2012, 06:55 AM
Have to disagree in a sense, as I've certainly played remakes that I'd classify as better that the original in some, if not all regards-the remake of Resident Evil is a stellar example IMO.

I'm talking about StarCraft, not remakes in general. You cannot remake StarCraft and expect it to be better. It was hard enough to make a sequel and expect it to be equal. What StarCraft does, was done damn near perfectly. No need to mess with it. Games that benefit from remaking weren't done so perfectly the first time or benefit much greater from new technology.

As in, what? Graphics? Gameplay?

As in, the SCLegact staffer. You know, the amateur 3D modeler extraordinaire?

_kAJSswZPvI

Unless they're changing the story of The Fall, it wouldn't work contextually.

Obviouslly, he was talking about the graphics and grandness of the cinematic. Obviously, it wouldn't work contextually.

Gradius
05-29-2012, 04:37 PM
Freespace anyone?
You know @ 6:20 in that video you can actually see Protoss ships warping in mass-effect style instead of starcraft style at the top right. Pretty damn cool IMHO.

Think you'd need an extra one for the terran campaign for the final mission. For the zerg, the hive link should be reserved for conversations rather than a hub in itself. Also think a behemoth or leviathan would be good for the Aiur missions.
Well, in a perfect world I'd like for there to be a different set for each mission, but hey, we're already discussing a hypothetical lavish & extravagant single-player game that will never happen, so that works too.

Graphics, yes. Execution, no. Unless they're changing the story of The Fall, it wouldn't work contextually. Bummer. I thought that having Commander Raynor gather the fleets of the entire galaxy to beat back the Reapers over Aiur would have been a great plot twist. :(

TheEconomist
05-29-2012, 05:16 PM
Bummer. I thought that having Commander Raynor gather the fleets of the entire galaxy to beat back the Reapers over Aiur would have been a great plot twist.

Don't give the man any ideas. He's a fanfic writer. He's probably already workin' on a StarCraft x Mass Effect crossover.

Quirel
05-29-2012, 05:22 PM
It's a nice idea in itself, but I think the campaign's a bit too short to show a true transition, and would feel anti-climatic in that by the time I get to Char, it shows how big my tech tree is...by showing how much I'm relying on the tech of convict scum instead of stuff "made in Earth.":p
I'd say that a remake of StarCraft should involve a few additional levels.

The holdover units would probably be limited to
SCVs
Marines (Conscripted)
Goliaths (With UED upgrades)
Wraiths (Captured from the Dylarian Shipyards)
Battlecruisers (Same)

As for the buildings, I guess there would be two concerns. Namely, balancing new units and buildings with the art team's workload, and the need to keep the UED tech tree from looking like a reskin of the Terran tech tree. Hopefully, they'd do something zany, like making the production buildings all the same prefab that's called down from orbit, but what it builds is determined by what addon or modules are built with it.

Finally, I think that having a considerable amount of Dominion hardware in your lineup reinforces the sentiment that "Holy crap, we couldn't have made it this far without that Psi-Disruptor."

Don't give the man any ideas. He's a fanfic writer. He's probably already workin' on a StarCraft x Mass Effect crossover.
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5814836/1/Spectre

Thanks. Haven't had a laugh this good in a couple of days.

TheEconomist
05-29-2012, 06:02 PM
O' fuck me, they actually do exist. *facesmack*

Turalyon
05-29-2012, 10:42 PM

Lol, these comments are even funnier when you notice who actually wrote the fanfic.

Quirel
05-30-2012, 12:22 AM
Lol, these comments are even funnier when you notice who actually wrote the fanfic.
That was the point.

As of this post, Fanfiction.net hosts:
-four (http://www.fanfiction.net/StarCraft_and_Mass_Effect_Crossovers/361/2927/) StarCraftXMass Effect crossovers.
-one (http://www.fanfiction.net/StarCraft_and_My_Little_Pony_Crossovers/361/621/) StarCraftXMy Little Pony crossover.
-five (http://www.fanfiction.net/My_Little_Pony_and_Mass_Effect_Crossovers/621/2927/) Mass EffectXMy Little Pony crossovers.

Too much information? You're welcome.

Hawki
05-30-2012, 04:01 AM
You know @ 6:20 in that video you can actually see Protoss ships warping in mass-effect style instead of starcraft style at the top right. Pretty damn cool IMHO.

Holy crap, you've got a good eye. Nice catch.

That being said however, I don't think it can be called any particular style due to how far away the ships are. Both ships have the sudden de-acceleration (or at leas the Hyperion does) factor in their respective universes, only their means of transport vary. Keep in mind the SC1 cinematic is, as far as I can tell, the ships being revealed from the Arbiter's cloak, not warping in.

Bummer. I thought that having Commander Raynor gather the fleets of the entire galaxy to beat back the Reapers over Aiur would have been a great plot twist.

I'm going to assume that's sarcasm, because the alternative is something I'd rather not consider.:eek:

If that rocks your boat, don't worry. I generally only do oneshot crossovers-I'd only do a multi-chaptered crossover if there was an in-universe precedent for them to exist. That being said, I-...

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5814836/1/Spectre

Nevermind...

You expected otherwise? Trust me, I've seen crossovers with far more...unexpected pairings than that. Even written some myself.:D

As of this post, Fanfiction.net hosts:
-four StarCraftXMass Effect crossovers.
-one StarCraftXMy Little Pony crossover.
-five Mass EffectXMy Little Pony crossovers.

Actually need to replace those figures with 8, 2 and 6 respectively (forgot to allow M-rated ones).

And no, My Little Pony crossing over isn't strange, because due to going viral, it can pretty much crossover with anything IMO.:p

TheEconomist
05-30-2012, 07:02 AM
We need another Hitler, like, now.
inb4 angry hitler vids

And no, My Little Pony crossing over isn't strange

About as strange as a father that touches his daughter. Next you'll be telling me there's Shepherd x Raynor gay fantasy on there. Yeeeeeesh *shivers*

Sheliek
05-30-2012, 12:33 PM
inb4 angry hitler vids

About as strange as a father that touches his daughter. Next you'll be telling me there's Shepherd x Raynor gay fantasy on there. Yeeeeeesh *shivers*

http://weknowmemes.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/i-too-am-moist.jpg

phazonjunkie
05-30-2012, 02:34 PM
Tychus, Hawki,

don't you DARE bring ponies into this thread! Don't you DARE!

Sheliek
05-30-2012, 03:15 PM
Tychus, Hawki,

don't you DARE bring ponies into this thread! Don't you DARE!
This.

Twilice
05-30-2012, 04:30 PM
Black magic bar-

Oh, wait wrong thread. I just got a sudden urge to post here.

inb4 angry hitler vids

As you wish:
ZQIw3kaSnRI

TheEconomist
05-30-2012, 05:24 PM
@Muspelli: I meant the Hitler that got shit done, not the lame ass that does nothing. We need mass genocide of them fanfickers and Bronies.

http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/images/hitler1.jpg

@All you Ponies haters just missin' out cuz lame trolls just be postin' dem pictures, mahn. Me, doh, I brings the eye-openin' literature, yah.

Prologue: The Visitors, the Prophecy, the Student, and the Rebel

Once upon a time in the magical land of Equestria, the older of the regal sisters of the land came into contact with a mysterious group of visitors from afar. These visitors were not of pony-kind, so she initially feared them.

However, the leader of these people soon quelled these fears by offering her a way of aiding her kingdom. Seeing how she had to banish her own sister to inside the moon for a thousand years, the princess realized it would be near impossible to handle the burden of the entire kingdom as well as the sun and moon by herself. So, she accepted the offer.

The visitors spent years teaching her how to handle the responsibility of the moon on top of her duty of the sun, as well as gathering crystals that they claimed to be from other worlds. They also taught the princess how to infuse powerful energy into said crystals, promising them to be important for helping the ponies of Equestria thrive.

Soon, with all of the power of the crystals, the princess realized that there may be somepony may use these crystals for dark purposes. She feared that if that were to happen, not even the Elements of Harmony would be able to combat the might of the crystals together.

Sensing the princess' fear, the visitors, once done with their teachings, instructed the princess with the task of scattering the crystals around the land of Equestria. Once scattered, the crystals will take care of the rest of the land. Taking one of the crystals for herself to be placed later, she instructed five of her most trusted pony friends to hide the remaining crystals so nopony with evil intentions would ever find them.

She then hid the last crystal in a place she thought it would be safe- though not before the crystal forever burned an image into her mind. The crystal, in its final moments with her, gave her a horrific vision. A vision of metallic soldiers storming through Equestria, mythical psychic warriors who claimed to be guardians, and savage monsters rampaging the land.

However, once the princess returned home from her task, the visitors vanished- never to be seen in Equestria again. As time passed, the princess would discover that the visitors had left her with a prophecy. She realized it:

War was coming to Equestria. With all of its glory… and all of its horror.

Ponyville- 14:21

Twilight Sparkle, professional unicorn magician and Princess Celestia's personal protégé, and Spike, Twilight's baby dragon assistant, walked through the city of Ponyville. Both had content looks on their faces as Twilight used her horn to levitate a huge, violet crystal behind them. Everypony was busy going throughout their business that they did not even notice the crystal.

"Man, Twilight!" Spike cheered, licking his lips. "I can't believe we found this in the Everfree Forest deep within that castle! Oh man, this is the jackpot of gems!" Drooling, the dragon added, "Oh, I can't wait to sink my teeth into it!"

"Calm down, Spike," Twilight smiled at her excitable dragon. "You can't eat it just yet." Spike snapped into reality. "When I picked it up from the old castle, I noticed a huge amount of energy reacting from it. This is no ordinary gem, Spike- eating it may cause some unnatural side effect on you that I'd rather avoid without studying it, first."

"Does that mean I can't even take a nibble of it?" Spike said in disappointment.

"Not if you want to take the risk of turning into a horrifying monster or something terrible happening to you," Twilight replied. "Imagine what Rarity would think of you if that happened."

While Twilight continued to walk towards her destination, Spike stopped in place at the thought. Although he was oblivious to it, everypony in Ponyville knew about Spike's crush on the white unicorn- why else would he run around and do favors for her on a regular basis when he's not in Canterlot? Although the dragon did laugh at others' misfortune, he limited it around her and Twilight, who raised him. So, the idea of becoming a monster and frightening Rarity- or worse- made the dragon reconsider his appetite.

Soon, he followed Twilight just in time for the unicorn to arrive at her library. Once inside, she set the large crystal down in a corner to study. Remembering Spike's craving for jewels, she conjured up a cage to keep it locked up.

"Remember Spike," Twilight ordered him, "do not touch it until I have an answer as to what it can do."

"Fine," Spike stated, arms crossed. "This gem better not be dangerous… because it looks so good."

"I'm sure we'll find you a gem that's safe for you to snack on after this," Twilight told him before turning to her bookshelves. She began to scan her bookshelves in an attempt to identify the large gemstone, "For now, let me look up on this. Who knows, Spike? Maybe this is a huge discovery we made that will be rewarding!"

As Twilight and Spike began their research, the two did not suspect that the energy within the crystal did not just limit its detection to their little library. No... its power went beyond that. Its power was detected beyond their small town of Ponyville. The crystal's power was felt beyond the atmosphere of Equestria itself. It reached into the depths of outer space, all of the way to a sector that was uncharted by any life known to ponies.

That power became quite the flame in this section of space. That flame would drag three different alien races to their world. Those aliens would bring with them a conflict that would ravage the stars and threaten the universe.

What Twilight Sparkle discovered in that ancient castle would be at the epicenter of an intergalactic war. Whether or not she knew it, the fate of Equestria was about to rest within her hooves.

This is the story of Commander Twilight Sparkle and the Pony-Terran campaign in the war for Equestria.

The Hyperion- Bridge- 17:08

Jim Raynor was tired. The man was tired of a lot of things, lately.

He was tired of the Terran Dominion Emperor Arcturus Mengsk's deception. Arcturus, despite everything that happened on Char, still slandered his name and actions, saying that it was "only a matter of time before Raynor destroyed all that the Dominion had built, and burn the sector to the ground, taking everyone to the ashes." Desperate Dominion propaganda, but it had some effectiveness.

Apparently, some citizens developed doubts about Raynor's sanity with his decision to let one of the most feared and powerful beings, the self-proclaimed "Queen Bitch of the Universe", live. If only they knew the reason why. If only they saw what would happen if she died... what he and Zeratul had seen was pretty grim.

He was tired of all of the fighting he got himself into on a regular basis. He was tired of having to deal with the now crumbling apart Dominion wanting his head, the Tal'Darim Protoss seeking revenge on him, and the remaining Zerg that were out to destroy the rest of the universe. Everyone was practically gunning for the Raiders- those who are still loyal to the Dominion were willing to destroy them after the Zerg problem had been pretty much taken care of. It was a miracle that they escaped Dominion pursuit for so long.

He was tired of all of the betrayals he had to endure just to get to this point in his revolution- some of which he admit that he should have seen coming. Mengsk abandoned an entire planet to the Zerg just to kill his enemies, showing absolutely no remorse for all of the men, women, and children he slaughtered… that's when Raynor's revolution began. Tosh, as useful as his Spectres are to the Raiders' cause, still had the possibility of stabbing Raynor in the back whenever he wanted, and he did not tell what he was planning until Nova attempted to convince Raynor to help her take him down. However, the biggest betrayal so far was that Tychus Findlay was to be Mengsk's personal assassin by trading her life for his freedom. As much as he regretted killing Tychus in that pit to save her life, the prophecy of the Zerg-Protoss Hybrid bringing about the end of the universe without her stopping them as well as his personal feelings for her were too great to let her die.

He was tired of the questions he got from his crew about his judgment. Ever since the brief alliance with the Dominion Prince Valerian, the Raiders were quick to question why he was helping their greatest enemies. In fact, Tychus almost convinced them that Jim was going to abandon them all when it got too tough- shutting Tychus up briefly won their respect back. Then came the results of the Char mission. The Raiders and Dominion suffered massive causalities, and their greatest enemy was on board the ship comatose in the sickbay. A single bullet would end her… so Raynor asked Tosh, who seemed very loyal ever since New Flotsam but still was a threat, to place two cloaked Spectres in front of the door with the order to detain anyone who even thinks about going in there to end her.

Speaking of her… Raynor was most certainly tired of waiting for Sarah Kerrigan to wake up. Once she was the Queen of Blades, the most feared being in the universe. A Terran Ghost that had been abandoned on Tarsonis by Arcturus when the Zerg invaded and destroyed the planet, she was thought to have been dead. However, the Zerg Overmind saw her usefulness in avoiding a huge prophecy of the end times, and infected her with Zerg DNA, where she eventually caused the deaths of 8,000,000 people, both Protoss and Terran. Raynor once vowed to kill her, but he couldn't bring himself to it because he loved her.

Now, after using the Xel'Naga artifact to return her back to mostly human on Char after four long years, she was normal again. A lot of men and women were crying out for her death when they should be, in Raynor's mind, crying out for Arcturus' for what he did to make himself Emperor. Even though Kerrigan had committed several crimes, if she was the only person standing in the way of Armageddon, then making her pay for her war crimes could wait.

Now, here Raynor was, four weeks after Char, waiting on word for when Kerrigan finally woke up. Rather than drink to his heart's content, though, he was in the bridge, trying to see what else Arcturus had planned. So, while he waited to see movement, Matt Horner, the Hyperion's captain and his second-in-command, walked into the room.

"I thought I might find you in here, sir," Horner began.

"What is it, Matt?" Raynor questioned. "Any news on Kerrigan?"

"She's still out like a light," Horner answered. "I do, though,have news I want to report."

"Go ahead, then."

"A Dominion fleet has been spotted heading to an uncharted world outside of the sector," Horner began. "According to the intercepted communications, Mengsk has them looking for some things on that world."

This made Raynor curious- what in the hell was Arcturus up to this time? What could he be looking for that was outside of the sector where they knew where the action was? If the Dominion could be going after something- especially if they're risking travelling into an unknown part of space with much of their army crippled after the Char invasion that nearly went south if not for Raynor- it can't be good.

"Such as…?" Horner could tell that the Commander's interests have been piqued by this. He knew Raynor would want to see some action, but he did not know now was a good time for it. Still, it was better not to keep the Commander waiting."

"Crystals which in theory- when combined together- serve a similar purpose as the Xel'Naga artifact we still have if not similar to those used by the Protoss on Shakuras," Horner bleakly answered.

Raynor's eyes widened- the artifact, when together, could wipe out Zerg by the thousands, and the pieces were enough to suck the life out of a Protoss when they got too close. If there were crystals that could imitate that kind of power and the Dominion acquired them, God knows what could happen.

"Sir, keep in mind that this is only theory, but I hacked into their scans, and it shows positive for psionic energy radiating from several crystals on world, as well as certain life forms with psionic abilities."

"But if Mengsk gets his hands on something similar to the artifact," Raynor concluded, "imagine what kind of chaos he would bring to his enemies… he may be able to bring those monsters he's been breeding under control. We may hit Armageddon early, Matt."

Horner knew what Raynor was talking about, and did not like it. On a previous raid of a research station orbiting the world of Castanar, the Raiders accidentally discovered a collection of mutant monsters that the Dominion was splicing. Half-Zerg and half-Protoss, these mutants- Hybrids- were nearly impossible to kill… and Raynor arrived at that station as one particularly powerful monster got loose. Raynor and his team barely escaped that station with their lives.

However, Raynor had previously seen that monstrosity, but through a different set of eyes. The eyes of his Protoss Dark Templar friend Zeratul. Thanks to the ihan crystal (which was safely locked away), Raynor experienced visions of Zeratul and the Protoss fighting the Hybrids, only to fall in the end. They then proceeded to end the universe under the orders of some sort of Dark Voice that Zeratul proposed was a fallen member of the Xel'Naga.

Now, Mengsk had those monsters being made. Luckily for the universe, the only active one is still rampaging in Castanar's station with no real transport. It was unlikely Mengsk would be able to control that Hybrid to enforce his order anytime soon. Nevertheless, if those crystals could Horner spoke of could control the Hybrids or wipe out Protoss (the only race proved to be able to kill them according to the vision and was yet another major threat to the Dominion), Mengsk could trigger an early apocalypse.

"Sir," Horner scowled, completely sensing what Raynor was thinking "I know you're willing to stop Mengsk in one way or another, but you may be chasing a red herring… or getting us into a fight we don't need to be involved."

"Well, we may as well see what we can do about keeping those crystals away from the Dominion," Raynor suggested. "We'll see if we can get to that world that the Dominion forces plan on heading to first and securing those crystals before Mengsk gets them." Horner blinked in shock at Raynor's suggestion. "Well, you said it yourself, Matt- the world's populated with intelligent life forms. Do you have any idea what we could do for them if the Dominion starts taking shots?"

"Sir," Horner stated, "you're about to take us to an uncharted world that we have no idea about where we're going to be outnumbered by the Dominion forces- even after Char- because of what could potentially be a loose end. Not to mention the locals... we could make enemies with them by complete accident with our tactics. The last thing we need is someone else after our heads."

"It's better to assume the worst about all of this in the long run," Raynor answered. Smiling, he suggested, "Besides, if not just the Dominion, what if those damn Tal'Darim Protoss or mindless Zerg forces attack without Kerrigan controlling them? And if there are locals that can't properly defend themselves, I'd rather not leave them to any of those guys. Who knows, Matt? The lead could be onto something huge."

Horner sighed- sometimes, there was just no reasoning with his Commander. Still, Raynor could be right about all of this- the Tal'Darim would more than likely purify the planet and kill anyone on there to get the crystals to "protect them" from the populace. Not to mention that the Zerg were still on the move… and who knows what Mengsk will do to whatever intelligent life is on the planet.

"Fine," Horner agreed. "We'll see what we can do."

"I'm glad you're seeing this my way," Raynor chuckled, clapping Horner on the back. Walking away, he ordered, "Let's get ready to warp, Matt. Maybe we'll be giving some people a chance for freedom." Horner rolled his eyes- leave it to the Commander to have them do this.

But if it helped the universe see a better future, then it would be worth it.

Hawki
05-30-2012, 05:36 PM
@Muspelli: I meant the Hitler that got shit done, not the lame ass that does nothing. We need mass genocide of them fanfickers and Bronies.

http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/images/hitler1.jpg

Yes, let's bring Hitler into this. I suppose we should set him loose on anyone who has the nerve to go against the norm. Anyone who likes My Little Pony? Check. Anyone who watches cartoons at all and is a teenager/adult? Check. Anyone who writes fanfiction? Check. Anyone who draws fan-art? Check. Anyone who hijacks this forum? Check.

Seriously, how did offhand comments about crossovers come to this? And since when did expressing an opinion have to descend into insults? Just came from posting on the HBO forums that I thought Battlestar Galactica was overrated, in contrast to the praise people were lavishing on it, but I'd never insult them for their views.

TheEconomist
05-30-2012, 05:39 PM
Seriously, how did joke comments about crossovers come to this?

Hawki
05-30-2012, 05:52 PM
I don't know. Um...

Hey, er, started playing the first Diablo game, for what it's worth. After reading comments in the Diablo 15 May thread and the scores of complaints on Blizzard's forums, decided it would be a good idea to start from the beginning so I could form my own opinion. Was skeptical at first, but after more than an hour of playing, pretty much been hooked on the gameplay. Even if right now I'm grinding so my warrior can face the Butcher:D

Can also appreciate the ambience qualities, still think they hold up. However, at this point in time, I don't think anyone can say the first game had a story beyond "go into the Labyrinth, kill something, come back to Tristram, go in to kill something else."

Twilice
05-30-2012, 05:56 PM
It's a damned good game. When the servers are up :D

*Which they are now! Brb playing.

TheEconomist
05-30-2012, 06:18 PM
@Twilice: Be sure to trollololol Azmodan for me.

@Hawki: If you picked Barbarian, go ahead and save yourself some time and pick another class, preferably Demon Hunter.

I don't think anyone can say the first game had a story beyond "go into the Labyrinth, kill something, come back to Tristram, go in to kill something else."

Don't let broodmywarcraft hear your blasphemies, heathen!

Hawki
05-30-2012, 06:26 PM
@Hawki: If you picked Barbarian, go ahead and save yourself some time and pick another class, preferably Demon Hunter.

First Diablo, not third. That being said, I intend to play as a demon hunter on my first DIII playthrough anyway.

Quirel
05-30-2012, 06:32 PM
Well, back to the main topic, something just threw me for a loop. I thought that Project Pheonix was thought to be a resurrection of StarCraft: Ghost, not a remake of the original StarCraft. Did I miss out on something?

Hawki
05-30-2012, 06:54 PM
Well, back to the main topic, something just threw me for a loop. I thought that Project Pheonix was thought to be a resurrection of StarCraft: Ghost, not a remake of the original StarCraft. Did I miss out on something?

I've certainly seen that idea thrown around, said idea being the idea of Ghost "rising out of the ashes like a phoenix." And indeed, to my knowledge, Ghost hasn't been outright stated to be canceled, though was confirmed not to be in development in 2011.

Still, I doubt we'll ever see Ghost. It would mean that Blizzard would have to work on five games effectively (one from each of 'big three,' Titan and Ghost) and since it was novelized in Spectres, there'd be a need for a new storyline, among other things. It seems that they're content to leave it as a sub-series. Or were...hopefully we'll someday get an adaptation of the missing three volumes of Ghost Academy. Certainly Ghost, if it was indeed made, could cover them if the storyline included Nova's Braken mission for instance.

TheEconomist
05-30-2012, 07:42 PM
Why???

Hawki
05-30-2012, 07:44 PM
Why what?

TheEconomist
05-30-2012, 07:45 PM
First Diablo, not third.

WHY?!?!?!

Hawki
05-30-2012, 07:48 PM
The reason I'm starting with the first is that many of the complaints towards Diablo III harken back to the original games by way of comparison. By playing them in order, it's the closest I can get to building up an opinion that was built up the same way by those who were fans from the outset. Same reason I played Combat Evolved and Halo 2 before Halo 3 for instance-trailer got me into it, but I'd rather experience a third installment after experiencing previous ones for instance.

TheEconomist
05-30-2012, 08:53 PM
The Halo games weren't as spread out though. Going back to Diablo 1 is just, uggghhh. Although, it's best you experience it now before you ruin it with Diablo 2 and 3. Diablo 2 ruins Diablo 1 like StarCraft ruins WarCraft.

Gradius
05-30-2012, 08:55 PM
That being said however, I don't think it can be called any particular style due to how far away the ships are. Both ships have the sudden de-acceleration (or at leas the Hyperion does) factor in their respective universes, only their means of transport vary. Keep in mind the SC1 cinematic is, as far as I can tell, the ships being revealed from the Arbiter's cloak, not warping in.
The uncloak effect was also the warp in effect in SC1 as far as I can tell, because everything warped in with arbiter recall. Like when the dragoon warped in in front of the sergeant, it played the same exact animation.

Quirel
05-30-2012, 09:36 PM
Uh... That dragoon was cloaked. Remember the Arbiter flying over at the end of the cutscene?

Aldrius
05-30-2012, 10:13 PM
Yeah, nothings warping in in either cinematic. They're just uncloaking.

Think you'd need an extra one for the terran campaign for the final mission.

Actually you wouldn't. Raynor steals the Hyperion.

And uh... eh? I think a remake would be fine. They'd probably be able to do a lot with it, and more importantly, establish stronger continuity for SC1-SC2 and it certainly would be better than doing more stupid adaptation novels which don't really grasp the plot very well. (Granted neither does SC2 but that's... beside the point? I guess.)

I think they'd probably mess it up, but I don't think it's a bad idea.

Hawki
05-30-2012, 10:26 PM
Actually you wouldn't. Raynor steals the Hyperion.

He stole it between Rebel Yell and Overmind. At the time of mission 10, it was still in the hands of Duke/Mengsk.

TheEconomist
05-30-2012, 10:45 PM
There were two hidden missions on the original discs. Raynor could have stolen it during one of those. I can't remember the content of those missions though since its been so long.

Aldrius
05-30-2012, 10:46 PM
They're both before the Kerrigan mission.

But uh, I'm pretty sure he stole it during Rebel Yell... if the novels contradict me... meh. It makes more sense than him stealing it later... but uh, whatev.

Turalyon
05-31-2012, 12:55 AM
I've always thought that Raynor stole it during the Terran mission The Hammer Falls. It would be the only realistic chance for Raynor to do such a thing given his relationship with Mengsk up until he rebelled. I'd doubt Raynor would've been able to stage a theft of Mengk's personal flagship after this mission since Mengsk would be on "high alert" and Raynor having exhausted his element of surprise.

Hawki
05-31-2012, 01:36 AM
He didn't. He wasn't expecting to have so many militia/SoK members follow him, and while he had the Thunder Child, he needed more ships. The result was the Dylarian Shipyards raid where, among getting a small fleet, captured the Hyperion as well.

Turalyon
05-31-2012, 01:58 AM
Oh... (see Aldrius' comment above mine)

Gradius
05-31-2012, 05:57 AM
Uh... That dragoon was cloaked. Remember the Arbiter flying over at the end of the cutscene?
Didn't look like it to me. The return to aiur scene had obvious ripple marks everywhere. In the ambush they all just kind of appear.

Quirel
05-31-2012, 09:43 AM
Didn't look like it to me. The return to aiur scene had obvious ripple marks everywhere. In the ambush they all just kind of appear.
Ah, yes, the Predator Silhouettes. So much harder to see when they aren't moving.
I suppose that they might have been recalled, but I would have expected more flash and bang from something warping in through atmosphere.

phazonjunkie
05-31-2012, 10:27 AM
In the ambush they all just kind of appear.

Well duh. That's kinda why it's called an ambush. You generally don't move until the very moment of attack. Even when cloaked, even the slightest movement could potentially give your position away prematurely.

Sheliek
05-31-2012, 01:33 PM
Well duh. That's kinda why it's called an ambush. You generally don't move until the very moment of attack. Even when cloaked, even the slightest movement could potentially give your position away prematurely.

You mean like being able to spot burrowed roaches or cloaked ghosts entering your base? :P

Gradius
05-31-2012, 04:23 PM
Uhm, no. Go watch the cinematic again. Where exactly is the edge of the cloaking field? One dragoon gets revealed, and as soon as the arbiter actually actually flies over the camp, 50 dragoons warp in from all directions. That's the exact opposite of what would happen if it was just the cloaking field. They obviously got recalled.

Ah, yes, the Predator Silhouettes. So much harder to see when they aren't moving.
I suppose that they might have been recalled, but I would have expected more flash and bang from something warping in through atmosphere.
I wasn't thinking of the movement, just the giant ripple on the background that is so obvious in the return to aiur cinematic yet doesn't exist at all in this one. I know terrans were portrayed as boneheads in SC1, but the idea that like 50 dragoons snuck into the base camp, and nobody noticed any ripples or the arbiter hanging out in the distance to provide cloaking is kind of an absurd scenario. :P

But that aside, SC seems to use this warp-in sound whenever anything gets warped in. Like the mission where you free tassadar, the same fx plays and aldaris's carriers & soldiers warp in, even though there's no arbiter. Obviously we didn't get to see a ship emerge from warp space in an actual cinematic, but that is the all-around fx that warping in seemed to use in SC1.

TheEconomist
06-01-2012, 03:19 PM
I would have expected more flash and bang from something warping in through atmosphere.

Arbiters use some kind of worm hole technology, therefore, there would be no animation in the atmosphere because they never technically came through the atmosphere. Wormholes move directly from point A to B without touching anythign in between because they are moving outside of three dimensions. That's science 101 unless the sci fi books I've read are wrong (not fantasy sci fi, the kinds written by scientists).

It's been a long time since I've used an Arbiter, is there a wormhole underneath the arbiter when you recall? That might settle it.

Sheliek
06-01-2012, 05:50 PM
Arbiters use some kind of worm hole technology, therefore, there would be no animation in the atmosphere because they never technically came through the atmosphere. Wormholes move directly from point A to B without touching anythign in between because they are moving outside of three dimensions. That's science 101 unless the sci fi books I've read are wrong (not fantasy sci fi, the kinds written by scientists).

It's been a long time since I've used an Arbiter, is there a wormhole underneath the arbiter when you recall? That might settle it.

There's a blue spiraling cloud. So yeah, probably a wormhole.

phazonjunkie
06-01-2012, 11:49 PM
Uhm, no. Go watch the cinematic again.

No U.

Where exactly is the edge of the cloaking field? One dragoon gets revealed, and as soon as the arbiter actually actually flies over the camp, 50 dragoons warp in from all directions. That's the exact opposite of what would happen if it was just the cloaking field. They obviously got recalled.

A tiny detail that seems to have slipped by you is that even BEFORE the first dragoon is revealed, the Terran soldier in on guard duty get's taken out by a phase disruptor blast. Which means there was already a least one dragoon present yet unseen before the trap was sprung. Your argument is invalid.

Gradius
06-02-2012, 07:48 AM
That's in no way a refutation of what I said. Whether one or two dragoons was already there and cloaked is totally beside the point: they provided a distraction for the arbiter to slip by. There was still a giant bunch of them that got recalled. And unless the arbiter can cloak selectively and from 5 miles away, the terrans have to be truly incompetent to not see the arbiter hanging out providing a cloaking field. And look at the end, they get warped in the opposite direction that the arbiter is traveling. Your hypothesis violates everything we know about the cloaking field.

Quirel
06-02-2012, 09:42 AM
And unless the arbiter can cloak selectively and from 5 miles away, the terrans have to be truly incompetent to not see the arbiter hanging out providing a cloaking field.
Why not? Seems like a reasonable feature to have.

phazonjunkie
06-02-2012, 05:21 PM
. And unless the arbiter can cloak selectively and from 5 miles away

Uh...They do cloak entire fleets... Selective cloaking? You just might be on to something gameplay wise....:D

The terrans have to be truly incompetent to not see the arbiter hanging out providing a cloaking field. And look at the end, they get warped in the opposite direction that the arbiter is traveling. Your hypothesis violates everything we know about the cloaking field.

Incompetent? You DARE accuse the terran dominion of being incompetent opponents?! (Gasp)....what blasphmemy!...:p

Gradius
06-02-2012, 06:01 PM
Why not? Seems like a reasonable feature to have.
No reason at all. But it's just not something we ever saw arbiters do. The lore manual says it cloaks all units in its field, and that doesn't happen in this cinematic at any point, even when the arbiter flies right over the base. Looks like the cloaking field isn't even on: there is no "predator" distortion field at any point. Occam's razor says that it's recall.

Incompetent? You DARE accuse the terran dominion of being incompetent opponents?! (Gasp)....what blasphmemy!...:pMaybe it's the protoss who are incompetent for sacrificing a valuable dragoon warrior when they could have just walked their entire cloaked army into the base and never uncloaked at all. :P

Hell, all protoss warriors should just be cloaked 100% of the time if the arbiter can be miles away from the battle.

Aldrius
06-05-2012, 11:52 PM
I... I think you're overthinking it Gradius.

I think both interpretations are perfectly reasonable/viable anyway. (especially given the limited graphics engine or whatever) I always took it as the other guys were cloaked, but I dunno.

hyde
06-17-2012, 01:16 PM
It will never happen.

1) Look at other classics versus sales :
They won't even remake Diablo 1 or WarCraft 2, what makes you think they'll remake SC1/BW - when both still SELL.

2) It's been rumored BUNGIE is working WITH Blizzard (They signed up a 10 year contract with Activision)
Phoenix is a rebirth, Ghost got canned/killed. More realistic speculation is that the project is a Blizz/Bungie console project

3) It would take a few months of modding Sc2 to make it like Sc1 - if it hasn't already been done

Sheliek
06-17-2012, 01:26 PM
It will never happen.

1) Look at other classics versus sales :
They won't even remake Diablo 1 or WarCraft 2, what makes you think they'll remake SC1/BW - when both still SELL.

2) It's been rumored BUNGIE is working WITH Blizzard (They signed up a 10 year contract with Activision)
Phoenix is a rebirth, Ghost got canned/killed. More realistic speculation is that the project is a Blizz/Bungie console project

3) It would take a few months of modding Sc2 to make it like Sc1 - if it hasn't already been done
I take it you didn't read the thread.

As for modding, none would be necessary: the vast majority of SC1 assets will be in-game by LotV. If you want a SC1 in SC2, play the existing ones. If you want an actual, normal-style remake, that's what this hypothetical theorycrafting is about.