PDA

View Full Version : Heart of the Swarm Beta Early Summer

Sheliek
05-24-2012, 05:38 PM
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=332877

Late June to July. Sweetness.

TheEconomist
05-24-2012, 06:03 PM
Just in time for me to be winding down in Diablo 3. Nice!

But, of course, that means another SP 'disappointment' is around the corner.

broodmywarcraft
05-24-2012, 06:23 PM
Oh Tychus, you're so subtle ;)

Gradius
05-24-2012, 06:37 PM
SC2's releases are built around my schedule. WoL was the day before my birthday, giving me plenty of time to play. HoTS will be right after I graduate. At this rate, LoTV will be just in time for the birth of my first born son.

TheEconomist
05-25-2012, 08:26 AM
Oh Tychus, you're so subtle ;)

You're so emotional ... What are we talking about again?

@Gradius: It's the opposite for me. SC2 was released on the day of my final exam for one of my core classes that I need to ace :D Had to study for hours knowing that SC2 was right around the corner and I could be watching epic replays.

Alar
05-25-2012, 10:01 PM
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE-takes a deep, gasping breath-EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE~!!!

That is all.

DemolitionSquid
05-26-2012, 10:16 AM
This is when Blizzard needs to start giving us more frequent updates so we know what to expect. Have they finally fixed the Thor? Whats the status on the map store? Was it Colonel Mustard in the Conservatory with the Wrench? We have serious questions that need serious answers.

Crazy_Jonny
05-26-2012, 06:56 PM
This is when Blizzard needs to start giving us more frequent updates so we know what to expect. Have they finally fixed the Thor? Whats the status on the map store? Was it Colonel Mustard in the Conservatory with the Wrench? We have serious questions that need serious answers.

At the very least you'll find out the answer to all of those in two months. (Yes, all of them)
I wonder if the 'new' features they mentioned will be present in the beta.

Sarov
05-27-2012, 04:40 PM
SC2's releases are built around my schedule.

Same here. :p

I got a beta key after my computer arrived and a few days after the internet was hooked up. Then Wings of Liberty was released on the day my teacher randomly decided to give us a few days off (that school was made of epic and win).

Noctis
07-22-2012, 11:51 AM
It's July. To borrow a page from Kotaku in their whole Final Fantasy Versus XIII BS...

HotS has clearly been cancelled.
Also, on December 21, 2012 Wing Zero will shoot its laser beam at the Libra, miss, and destroy the world.

RamiZ
07-22-2012, 02:24 PM
I think that HOTS Beta will probably start after Gamescom that lasts from 15-19 August. They said that there will be the latest playable version of HOTS, so it will probably be the last build that they are testing, and will release it shortly after.

Kimera757
07-22-2012, 03:57 PM
In an interview last month, Blizzard said they hoped so. You know Blizzard is always late when it comes to estimates. If you believe their projections, you will always be disappointed.

Sheliek
07-23-2012, 01:24 PM
In an interview last month, Blizzard said they hoped so. You know Blizzard is always late when it comes to estimates. If you believe their projections, you will always be disappointed.

I'm not disappointed; I have a loose definition of 'early', however.

DemolitionSquid
07-23-2012, 01:27 PM
I'm not disappointed; I have a loose definition of 'early', however.

So "early" for you is what, exactly? Jizzing before you even get your boxers off?

GnaReffotsirk
07-23-2012, 06:29 PM
Same here. :p

I got a beta key after my computer arrived and a few days after the internet was hooked up. Then Wings of Liberty was released on the day my teacher randomly decided to give us a few days off (that school was made of epic and win).

The computer delivery guy and the internet guys were all in the beta, and decided to do their jobs early so they can file for a day off.

Your teacher, having heard from both of them, pre-ordered WoL the next day.

Noctis
07-26-2012, 06:34 PM
So "early" for you is what, exactly? Jizzing before you even get your boxers off?

for blizzard "early" would be after the woman has an orgasm.

Pr0nogo
07-26-2012, 07:57 PM
You guys just suck at sex. I've always been in a position where the girl came before I did.

Turalyon
07-27-2012, 12:56 AM
I've never been in a position where the girl came before I did.

Careful now. What you said here can be easily misconstrued...

Pr0nogo
07-27-2012, 12:58 PM
I've been in plenty of positions, though, so it can't really.

DemolitionSquid
07-27-2012, 02:20 PM
You guys just suck at sex. I've never been in a position where the girl came before I did.

We suck? If you come before the girl, you're doing it wrong. Everyone knows that. You should read this:

http://www.sgoralnick.com/upimages/210_big_pic.jpg

Pr0nogo
07-27-2012, 02:27 PM
nah you guys just can't read

obv that should be reversed

orgasm ration 30-1 (legend: her-me) nubbbbb

Church
07-27-2012, 08:45 PM
smooth, pr0.

TheEconomist
07-27-2012, 09:31 PM
Kegel (http://www.askmen.com/dating/love_tip_60/67_love_tip.html)

That is all.

Cotcan
07-27-2012, 11:26 PM
Noctis look at what you have done. This is the 3rd topic derailment that I've seen in the past month. I think that Blizzard will do the beta sometime in the fall. Probably not late fall, but with Blizzard you never know. Also for those who don't know, every day you play and rate a map on the 1.5 beta, you get a chance to be in the HotS beta.

Noctis
07-28-2012, 12:38 PM
Also for those who don't know, every day you play and rate a map on the 1.5 beta, you get a chance to be in the HotS beta.

wait what??!?!?!

Cotcan
08-03-2012, 11:58 AM
Ya, but it's a bit over now with the release of 1.5. They did a blog post (http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/blog/6805717/Last_Chance_150_Beta_Coming_To_A_Close-7_25_2012) on the main site (http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/). Did you not see it?

TheEconomist
08-03-2012, 11:03 PM
Yeah bro, it was on their blog. How you miss it?

RamiZ
08-04-2012, 03:27 AM
Yeah bro, it was on their blog. How you miss it?
LOL

Btw, in the new Interview, DB said that we can expect the Beta "really soon".
What a troll. :D

Hawki
08-04-2012, 07:22 AM
LOL

Btw, in the new Interview, DB said that we can expect the Beta "really soon".
What a troll. :D

I dunno. "Soon" is copyrighted. "Really soon" isn't. Maybe it's legit.;)

RamiZ
08-04-2012, 08:03 AM
I dunno. "Soon" is copyrighted. "Really soon" isn't. Maybe it's legit.;)
You are right. Anyway, I expect Beta to start in a few weeks, till the end of August.

DemolitionSquid
08-04-2012, 10:52 AM
Really Soon™ is a subsidiary of Soon Inc., a division of Activision-Blizzard.

Cotcan
08-04-2012, 04:43 PM
It should be soon. I don't think it will start early winter, but with blizzard you never know. At least it isn't Valve time (http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/subcultures/valve). Now I'm reminded of this:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_a6I3g8WNJvc/TVGnwkequ0I/AAAAAAAAAGQ/xLXObLxEHHI/s1600/blizzard-product-slate-leaked_.jpg

Based off this we should of had the expansion by now, and waiting for the 2nd early next year.

TheEconomist
08-04-2012, 09:01 PM
Still enjoying that SC2 Phoenix though.

DemolitionSquid
08-05-2012, 11:54 AM
Still enjoying that SC2 Phoenix though.

Would have preferred SC2 Fenix.

TheEconomist
08-05-2012, 12:40 PM
Because another revival of Fenix is what we need.

Cotcan
08-05-2012, 01:54 PM
I'm interested in Titan, I'm hoping it won't be some sort of MMORPG in space. Then we will get another WOW, but space version.

The_Blade
08-05-2012, 02:12 PM
Well, Blizzard needs a MMO that will replace WoW in a year or two.

Hawki
08-05-2012, 07:36 PM
From what I recall of Titan, I vaguely a statement that its context is meant to appeal to the mainstream audience. In other words, not fans of the fantasy or sci-fi genres which are considered fringe.

Pr0nogo
08-05-2012, 07:46 PM
So it wasn't enough that every game they release is built for casuals? Go figure.

The_Blade
08-05-2012, 08:45 PM
WoW has gone quite mainstream. It is not as mainstream as LoL, but it is one of the most known by people outside the gamer world. IIRC they wanted to reach out for the FPS fans.

DemolitionSquid
08-05-2012, 09:28 PM
Because another revival of Fenix is what we need.

Fenix can never die. Only the Dragoon that contains him.

Also, I'm calling it now: Titan will be a GPS satellite video that follows you in third person view, adding on augmented reality, thus letting you play a second-life game as its occurring in real life time. It's game-ception. When exposed to multiple players all playing their own lives in augmented reality, it becomes MMO-ception.

Hawki
08-05-2012, 10:34 PM
WoW has gone quite mainstream. It is not as mainstream as LoL, but it is one of the most known by people outside the gamer world. IIRC they wanted to reach out for the FPS fans.

I vaguely recall the notion that Titan will have FPS elements, but I'm iffy about it. The reason is because Blizzard and Bungie are both working under/with Activision, and Bungie's working on Destiny, a MMO that will almost certainly have FPS elements. While Activision hasn't shield away from the FPS genre (Call of Duty), it seems iffy that they'd have two similar MMOs debuting of said same genre. And of the companies involved, it makes more sense that Bungie would gravitate towards FPS elements than Blizzard, given their release histories.

DemolitionSquid
08-05-2012, 11:15 PM
New idea: hybrid RTS FPS MMO. Some players act as field commanders (base and resource management/support with med drops or sensor sweeps) with full view of the battlefield, while others play FPS and use the RTS players intel to acctually participate in combat.

Cotcan
08-06-2012, 11:51 AM
I believe that may have already been done before, DemolitionSquid. If not, it would be very hard (the hardness would be more than diamond) to get right. There's a high chance they would screw that up. There's reasons why those don't mix often.

Noctis
08-06-2012, 12:32 PM
Fenix can never die. Only the Dragoon that contains him.

Also, I'm calling it now: Titan will be a GPS satellite video that follows you in third person view, adding on augmented reality, thus letting you play a second-life game as its occurring in real life time. It's game-ception. When exposed to multiple players all playing their own lives in augmented reality, it becomes MMO-ception.

did this make sense to anyone

DemolitionSquid
08-06-2012, 02:59 PM
did this make sense to anyone

I sure as hell hope not.

TheEconomist
08-06-2012, 04:08 PM
So it wasn't enough that every game they release is built for casuals? Go figure.

Easy to learn =/= Casual. Just look at your awful ranking for proof. Besides, casual in an MMO sense means almost worth playing.

@DSquid: Nice idea but we already have drugs for that.

DemolitionSquid
08-06-2012, 07:11 PM
Got another idea: MMO where the sole goal is to force other players to quit playing. All players pay 15 bucks a month, 14 of which goes to the production company. The other 1 goes into a pool. By the end of the month, any players remaining in game get a split of the pool. There is no combat, no role-playing, no companionship. The only way to force other people to leave the game and defeat them is through pure, unfiltered hatred and deceit, reducing your enemy into a helpless broken shell of suicidal depression.

We shall call this game: Forum Troll.

Pr0nogo
08-06-2012, 10:58 PM
nah.
.han

TheEconomist
08-07-2012, 03:32 PM
We should call it: TeamLiquid - The MMO

Noctis
08-08-2012, 07:16 PM
We should call it: TeamLiquid - The MMO

TL will be contacting you for unauthorized use of their holy name. prepared to feel the hammer of self righteous justice.

sandwich_bird
08-08-2012, 07:44 PM
New idea: hybrid RTS FPS MMO. Some players act as field commanders (base and resource management/support with med drops or sensor sweeps) with full view of the battlefield, while others play FPS and use the RTS players intel to acctually participate in combat.

Dust 514 and PlanetSide 2

DemolitionSquid
08-08-2012, 08:01 PM
Dust 514 and PlanetSide 2

I'm glad someone caught that finally.

Arkalis
08-09-2012, 02:00 AM

Savage XR?
No one?
No?
ok

Sheliek
08-09-2012, 01:36 PM

It's been done before. Fancy that, players didn't like a new idea and just wanted more CoD.

DemolitionSquid
08-09-2012, 04:44 PM
It's been done before. Fancy that, players didn't like a new idea and just wanted more CoD.

http://www.bryanprindiville.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/peanut.jpg

Caliban113
08-15-2012, 01:38 PM
Was on the Facebook, and SC page reports:

"The Swarm is coming. The first wave Heart of the Swarm multiplayer beta invitations will be distributed very soon. What are you doing to prepare for the upcoming beta?"

Bnet is blocked at my work, is there anything a little more telling in the article?

Any indications as to what 'very soon' means?

TheEconomist
08-15-2012, 02:54 PM
Any indications as to what 'very soon' means?

Next summer.

Caliban113
08-15-2012, 03:10 PM
Well, 'dog years' is 7:1 - whats the current ratio for 'Blizz' years' zacktly....?

DemolitionSquid
08-15-2012, 03:22 PM
Well, 'dog years' is 7:1 - whats the current ratio for 'Blizz' years' zacktly....?

Its equal to approximately FuckTheCustomer:GiveBobbyKotickAllTheMonies.

Kimera757
08-15-2012, 07:20 PM
Beta test coming soon: http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/blog/6983561

We are preparing to invite testers for the Heart of the Swarm beta very soon! To be clear, this test will be for the multiplayer experience only. We will begin with a select group, including many players who assisted us in testing Patch 1.5, as well as some pro-gamers and press. Over time, we will add more and more testers into the mix.
If you are interested in participating in the beta test, please make sure you are opted in for beta testing. You can do this by clicking "Beta Profile Settings" under the Account Management section of your Battle.net account. Note that the opt-in doesn't guarantee entry, but gives you a chance at joining the beta test. Also, we'll be working with your favorite fansites and community personalities to give away more entries to the beta test, so keep an eye out for invites coming from the greater StarCraft community over the coming weeks.
We canít wait to get the public test started for Heart of the Swarm, and we look forward to collecting your feedback.
The Swarm is coming!

Noctis
08-16-2012, 01:00 AM
soon*

http://www.wowwiki.com/Soon

Cotcan
08-16-2012, 02:04 PM
So...by that definition, its better to be a pessimist and forget about it ever happening, rather than be optimistic about it and hold out hope.

Sheliek
08-16-2012, 02:45 PM
Very soon*

DemolitionSquid
08-16-2012, 03:29 PM
So...by that definition, its better to be a pessimist and forget about it ever happening, rather than be optimistic about it and hold out hope.

As a professional pessimist, I can tell you there's no downside. You're rarely disappointed, you're always prepared for the worst, and victories taste so much sweeter.

Kimera757
08-16-2012, 06:00 PM
I agree with the squid. A pleasant surprise is always better than disappointment.

Caliban113
08-17-2012, 12:42 PM
Was watching Painuser's stream last night, and he swore up and down that it was a matter of days. Figure he's on some kind of NDA, but he never actually gave a date, so.........On the other hand, I'll swear I've heard him take bong hits while playing live, so I've no idea what to think.

DemolitionSquid
08-17-2012, 12:52 PM
Was watching Painuser's stream last night, and he swore up and down that it was a matter of days. Figure he's on some kind of NDA, but he never actually gave a date, so.........On the other hand, I'll swear I've heard him take bong hits while playing live, so I've no idea what to think.

Only MJ? With a name like Painuser I would expect at least heroin.

TheEconomist
08-17-2012, 02:37 PM
I completely forgot about Diablo 3 until a month before release. Made all of the difference when I played it, i.e. I did not want to kill myself like other BlizzFanatics.

Caliban113
08-17-2012, 02:43 PM
No webcam fer ol' Pain so who knows whats goin on in thurr.

As fer Beta, wont get too concerned until Gifted starts posting up a storm....

Noctis
08-17-2012, 02:59 PM
Only MJ? With a name like Painuser I would expect at least heroin.

I hear playing any blizz game whilst under the influence is quite the experience

RamiZ
08-17-2012, 03:03 PM
No webcam fer ol' Pain so who knows whats goin on in thurr.

As fer Beta, wont get too concerned until Gifted starts posting up a storm....
On the TL, they are saying that Friends&Family Beta has already began, they got the info from Korean site. Also, they have changed a few things, they said that already in Beta, we can resume the game from replays, and that we got global play.

From units, can't remember if anything has changed except that Mine lost its timer(dunno what that means, it would be pretty OP if it explodes instantly), they reduced the AoE but improved the single target damage.

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=360784&currentpage=22
That page you have the link, and below on that page, guy from Korea named Ktk had translated it for us.

Btw, a lot of guys are expecting Beta to begin in few days, I still stand that it will begin after the gamescom, until the end of August.

DemolitionSquid
08-17-2012, 03:19 PM
The things I'm most interested to see in beta:

- if they've found a way to make the Warhound worthwhile against Zerg.

- if they've fixed how ridiculous the Tempest is, mechanically. 22 range just proves they're throwing shit at a wall and seeing what sticks.

- The new anti-building Nydus upgrade.

RamiZ
08-17-2012, 04:03 PM
The things I'm most interested to see in beta:

- if they've found a way to make the Warhound worthwhile against Zerg.

- if they've fixed how ridiculous the Tempest is, mechanically. 22 range just proves they're throwing shit at a wall and seeing what sticks.

- The new anti-building Nydus upgrade.
The Nyduses are cool, can't wait to see them.

Tempest, I don't know how to feel about it. Somehow for me, it feels like Reaver, that does no splash.

About the Warhound, if you have tried HOTS custom map(that is awesome btw), Warhounds are pretty damn good vs. Zerg. A lot of the people is whining how good they are for their cost, and how they should be nerfed even though they have no clear purpose.

DemolitionSquid
08-17-2012, 06:05 PM
The Nyduses are cool, can't wait to see them.

Tempest, I don't know how to feel about it. Somehow for me, it feels like Reaver, that does no splash.

About the Warhound, if you have tried HOTS custom map(that is awesome btw), Warhounds are pretty damn good vs. Zerg. A lot of the people is whining how good they are for their cost, and how they should be nerfed even though they have no clear purpose.

Haven't tried the HOTS custom cause my PC is broken, and who plays SC on a Mac, honestly?

Sounds like Warhounds are, right now, basically like WoL beta Roaches. Simply too powerful for their cost. Perhaps the same solution can be applied. Increase their supply cost from 2 to 3, so you simply can't get as many. Make them an even more reactive and situational niche unit instead of a main army component like Marines.

TheEconomist
08-17-2012, 08:27 PM
Judging balance by HOTS map = LOL

DemolitionSquid
08-17-2012, 11:46 PM
Judging balance by HOTS map = LOL

Nothing wrong with getting a head start theorycrafting. It was only a few days after I suggested the Warhound lacked purpose in TvZ that David Kim came out and said it too, even while using a newer build than the one we saw previewed.

RamiZ
08-18-2012, 02:11 AM
Haven't tried the HOTS custom cause my PC is broken, and who plays SC on a Mac, honestly?

Sounds like Warhounds are, right now, basically like WoL beta Roaches. Simply too powerful for their cost. Perhaps the same solution can be applied. Increase their supply cost from 2 to 3, so you simply can't get as many. Make them an even more reactive and situational niche unit instead of a main army component like Marines.

To be honest, I don't even know how they came up with 2 population Warhound. These things are huge, and Hydras and Roaches that are 5x smaller are also 2 population... Hence, even Marauder is 2 population.

Also, they won't do the work with population, they are a lot stronger than Roaches stat wise, so for their cost, they have to nerf them in some way, or reducing the stats, or pumping up the cost.

I mean, lets compare Warhound and Stalker.
Cost: 150/75 ------- 125/50
Popu: 2 ------- 2
HP: 220 ------- 80/80(160)
MS: 2.81 ------- 2.95
Armor: 1 ------- 1
Dmg: 23 ------- 10(+4 vs. arm)
AS: 1.3 ------- 1.44
Range: 7 ------- 6

So, for 25/25 you get incredibly buffed unit, that can't attack air, but you can produce them en masse just as much as Stalkers.
People are whining how right now there is no need for Mech, you just produce Warhounds and they destroy everything, at least in TvP.
They even said that they are killing the Immortals because Haywire missiles do 30 damage to Hardened Shield, and with this speed, and 7 range, you can even kite the Immortals and wait for their Shield to go down, then you can even a-click.

I like the concept, but it really needs tweaking.

Kimera757
08-18-2012, 09:35 AM
I wouldn't use roaches as an example. The control cost of most zerg units are too high, and that went back to StarCraft I.

DemolitionSquid
08-18-2012, 10:29 AM
Perhaps they should raise their cost to match the Siege Tank, and balance from there. So the Terran is acctually forced to sacrifice production of a valuable Tank for every Warhound they make as a responsive unit.

Cotcan
08-18-2012, 01:44 PM
I completely forgot about Diablo 3 until a month before release. Made all of the difference when I played it, i.e. I did not want to kill myself like other BlizzFanatics.

I actually forgot about Diablo 3, and didn't know it was released until the day of. I still have yet to get it as I'm having too much fun with Dota 2, Skyrim, and other games I got from the recent steam sale.

To be honest, I don't even know how they came up with 2 population Warhound. These things are huge, and Hydras and Roaches that are 5x smaller are also 2 population... Hence, even Marauder is 2 population.

Also, they won't do the work with population, they are a lot stronger than Roaches stat wise, so for their cost, they have to nerf them in some way, or reducing the stats, or pumping up the cost.

I mean, lets compare Warhound and Stalker.
Cost: 150/75 ------- 125/50
Popu: 2 ------- 2
HP: 220 ------- 80/80(160)
MS: 2.81 ------- 2.95
Armor: 1 ------- 1
Dmg: 23 ------- 10(+4 vs. arm)
AS: 1.3 ------- 1.44
Range: 7 ------- 6

So, for 25/25 you get incredibly buffed unit, that can't attack air, but you can produce them en masse just as much as Stalkers.
People are whining how right now there is no need for Mech, you just produce Warhounds and they destroy everything, at least in TvP.
They even said that they are killing the Immortals because Haywire missiles do 30 damage to Hardened Shield, and with this speed, and 7 range, you can even kite the Immortals and wait for their Shield to go down, then you can even a-click.

I like the concept, but it really needs tweaking.

I actually agree with nerfing them a little bit. Seriously 53 damage with the missile going is crazy, and you can very quickly tear through a 100 immortal shield. Starting with a tank cost would be a good place to start, but as they said in their br, nothing here is FINAL, not balance, not even the units. More than likely it will get crazily nerfed during the beta, and then brought back up because people stop using them.

Alex06
08-22-2012, 08:46 PM
It seems the beta has begun:
http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/6398670223

Noctis
08-22-2012, 08:59 PM
that doesnt sound legit at all lol

Alex06
08-22-2012, 10:06 PM
that doesnt sound legit at all lol
After some investigation, yeah, it's probably just trolling.

RamiZ
08-23-2012, 08:13 AM
The Beta will probably be out after MLG. *Fingers Crossed*

Cotcan
08-25-2012, 10:19 AM
If the beta had just started all the forums would have exploded, and we would have an official blog post about it. Guy was at least a half decent troll though. He actually convinced people at the start.

RamiZ
08-31-2012, 10:55 AM
Hey guys, directly from HOTS custom thread of Xenox from Teamliquid.

Hey everyone, got a bit of sad news about the mod. Blizzard emailed me today about some concerns they have of the mod becoming too similar to the Closed Beta, the potential for confusion and conflict between the custom and beta versions of Heart of the Swarm, and how in being so similar my map technically will allow people to bypass the Closed aspect of the Beta. As such, the maps will be taken down from all servers as of Monday, 3rd of September 2012. I say this now so that people can make the most of the limited time left on the maps before it goes down.

So I guess this will be it for the mod, I will say though that it's been a good run, and much of where the mod is today is thanks to all the feedback you guys were able to provide. I hope that everyone made the most of the opportunity they had, and looks forward to doing the same thing in the real Heart of the Swarm some time in the near future. I am glad that I was able to work on such a project and provide people this great opportunity to experience Heart of the Swarm.

Seems like we are getting close, and season lock is on 4th September, so we might get the beta next week(I hope).

Source: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=280751

Visions of Khas
08-31-2012, 03:07 PM
What mod is he talking about?

DemolitionSquid
08-31-2012, 03:48 PM
What mod is he talking about?

There's a WoL map that created the HotS units w/abilities so people could try them out before beta. Apparently Warhounds are crazy OP.

The_Blade
08-31-2012, 03:56 PM
It's funny how the galactic editor has the potential to disrupt Blizzard's activity. I believe the tool is WAY stronger than what we all expected. With the proper knowledge someone could format the whole campaign and rewrite a new one over it. Blizz can't sue you for creating new games and maps because they own everything. The worst thing that may happen is that your game is taken down, like WoS and the HotS custom maps.

Noctis
09-02-2012, 09:13 AM
It's funny how the galactic editor has the potential to disrupt Blizzard's activity. I believe the tool is WAY stronger than what we all expected. With the proper knowledge someone could format the whole campaign and rewrite a new one over it. Blizz can't sue you for creating new games and maps because they own everything. The worst thing that may happen is that your game is taken down, like WoS and the HotS custom maps.

It's a legitimate point, but I think it's something we can only be wary of if Blizzard starts doing it excessively. I enjoyed the Hots map but I can also understand why they would feel the need to stop it. Why sign up and participate in beta's when i can just play the game? Or heck the custom map could be mis-representing the actual game too. time will tell.

Pr0nogo
09-02-2012, 01:58 PM
Blizzard didn't even package the proper tools with the game. They used a 3DS Max plugin that they still don't have for the rest of us to use, and while they could have used the Galaxy Editor to make their campaign, they didn't. This was also true for WarCraft III, except they let us use the damn plugins required to model.

topsecret221
09-02-2012, 10:18 PM
They didn't ship it for us because it's not their program to sell. If you want to, you can buy it off of their website, though.

Pr0nogo
09-02-2012, 10:57 PM
..No, you don't understand. You need the plugin in order to make models compatible with SCII (at least, you do if you don't want to do any roundabout way that I don't recall).