PDA

View Full Version : Blizzard DotA is now Blizzard All-Stars

Kimera757
05-12-2012, 11:14 AM
Valve and Blizzard came to an agreement about the name DotA. Valve will be able to move forward using DotA commercially, and Blizzard can employ DotA for non-commercial use.

As a result, Blizzard is changing the name of Blizzard DotA to Blizzard All-Stars.

Source: http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/05/11/valve-and-blizzard-settle-dota-dispute

TheEconomist
05-12-2012, 02:01 PM
Still not too ... anything for this.

Twilice
05-12-2012, 03:08 PM
I think this was the best solution for the playerbase overall.

DemolitionSquid
05-12-2012, 05:52 PM
I think this was the best solution for the playerbase overall.

Aside from not playing DotA or any DotA clones at all because they are a blight on gaming's soul.

Twilice
05-12-2012, 07:25 PM
Puh, I thought you were gonna' say Ponies.

Moving along.

Kimera757
05-12-2012, 08:29 PM
There is a My Little Ponies: Fighting is Magic game in development. A friend of mine is really into that.

TheEconomist
05-12-2012, 08:34 PM
A friend of mine is really into that.

I thought the whole Bronies think was an internet meme.

You're saying they actually exist, or is your friend female?

Gradius
05-12-2012, 08:59 PM
I thought the whole Bronies think was an internet meme.

You're saying they actually exist, or is your friend female?
I hear that it's become an epidemic in Germany:

9xHPLNxHuCo

DemolitionSquid
05-12-2012, 09:35 PM
Speaking of ponies, you should check out the new Robot Unicorn Attack: Evolution (http://games.adultswim.com/robot-unicorn-attack-evolution-twitchy-online-game.html) game.

TheEconomist
05-12-2012, 09:36 PM
Why don't Hitler vids ever get old?

Hawki
05-12-2012, 10:37 PM
Same reason as bronies-it replicates.

Personally though, I think the meme is partly the fault of those who take issue with the concept. Am I male? Yes. Do I like the show? Yes. Am I a brony? Personally I'd say no, because I don't want to be defined by me liking one show as opposed to every other cartoon and piece of fiction that I also like. I don't want to play the blame game, but I don't see why people, even on TV at times, want to make a big deal out of one cartoon that some males like.

mr. peasant
05-12-2012, 10:43 PM
Why don't Hitler vids ever get old?

And why don't our threads stay on topic anymore? ;)

TheEconomist
05-12-2012, 10:43 PM
There is only one cartoon worthy of a grown male's attention.

http://blog.newsok.com/television/files/2011/01/spongebob-squarepants.jpg

And why don't our threads stay on topic anymore? ;)

There's jack shit to talk about. "Blizzard DotA is now Blizzard All-Stars," okay awesome. Self-explanatory. No further debate or conversation necessary.

mr. peasant
05-12-2012, 11:01 PM
There's jack shit to talk about. "Blizzard DotA is now Blizzard All-Stars," okay awesome. Self-explanatory. No further debate or conversation necessary.

Fine, challenge accepted.

Personally, while I saw this outcome coming a mile away, I can't help but think that this was a pretty bad one all around. The possible implications of this decision are as follows:

1. The community, by court mandate, no longer has any stake in the term 'dota' (i.e. modders and mapmakers can no longer legally make a C&C: Dota or a Dawn of War: Dota or for gamemakers to describe their game as 'a dota' since its term is now restricted non-commercially to be used for World of Warcraft and Starcraft).

2. It sets precedence that content made using content created by others without licensing from the original creator or said creator's permission is in fact legal and ownership of the produced content is wholly and exclusively with this other person and not the original creator; which is like saying that a person can break into your house and use your stuff to make a sandwich and that said sandwich would thus belong to said person and not you. Or, in more realistic applications of the law, I could take the likeness of Spider-Man, Superman and Obama, rename them and consequently use them in my own comic.

3. The EULA of a product can be dismissed and that a product can be misused by a person however they see fit and in ways unintended by the original creator (since Warcraft III's editor was distributed as a map editor to create maps for Warcraft III and was not licensed to create independent properties and games despite it also having the capacity to do so).

4. A possible consequence is that developers may be less inclined to release editing tools to better secure their intellectual property (since it appears that releasing an editor for the game means other people can use said characters' likeness for their own games) and proprietary technology (since releasing a powerful editor on par with what was used to create the game means other people can use the programmes developed without paying the developer for licensing or to even obtain permission).

Quirel
05-13-2012, 02:03 AM
3. The EULA of a product can be dismissed and that a product can be misused by a person however they see fit and in ways unintended by the original creator (since Warcraft III's editor was distributed as a map editor to create maps for Warcraft III and was not licensed to create independent properties and games despite it also having the capacity to do so).

4. A possible consequence is that developers may be less inclined to release editing tools to better secure their intellectual property (since it appears that releasing an editor for the game means other people can use said characters' likeness for their own games) and proprietary technology (since releasing a powerful editor on par with what was used to create the game means other people can use the programmes developed without paying the developer for licensing or to even obtain permission).
As someone who is hoping against hope that mod tools might be released for Company of Heroes 2, the above makes me :eek::(:mad:

Jconant
05-13-2012, 05:13 AM
Was that really the decision of the courts? My opinion was that neither really had sole claim as the idea of "dota". It was created in a public forum, and not soley by one person; one group or person cant claim possession of dota since it was a concept made by someone else via starcraft1, refined in WC3 and made possible by blizzard's map editor tools.

really dissapointing...especially since blizzard's take on dota has thus far been fairly different from the new "dota" and league of legends.

TheEconomist
05-13-2012, 05:40 AM
Fine, challenge accepted.

You're talking to the king of taking dumbass college composition topics and turning them into multiple page ramblings. Oh, you can bullshit some stuff but it wouldn't be interested, as shown.

@1: Technically, you're right but when's the last time you saw a court actually sue a small, amateur mod? Never. I've seen probably millions of dollars of plagiarism in my career but not one lawsuit, even for the larger ones that actually gained a lot of exposure.

@2,3,4: AFAIK, there was no decision of the court. Valve and Blizzard came to a decision not take waste the money.

.... and, like I said, pointless, no offense.

Twilice
05-13-2012, 06:19 AM
I liked the topic or derail took. That Hitler parody was just hilarious.

mr. peasant
05-13-2012, 06:21 AM
Accurate? YMMV. However, it's nonetheless something that is genuinely worth talking about and debating.

Re: 3 and 4,

Regardless of whether it was a court-made decision or not, the fact that Icefrog and Valve succeeded in what they did still means it is possible for others to do it as well - which would lead developers to be more wary over their decisions with regards to the mod-ability of their games and the allowance for user-created content.

As for Point 1,

There have been tons of times where big companies have threatened to sue smaller/independent/individual content-creators who have used their trademarks without permission (typically with cease and desist letters). The threat of litigation is often enough to shut these projects down; regardless of whether the big companies are in the right or wrong as the smaller companies don't have the money to afford the legal battles.

TheEconomist
05-13-2012, 06:29 AM
have threatened to sue smaller/independent/individual content-creators who have used their trademarks without permission (typically with cease and desist letters)

For fan remakes or maps/mods created with an editor? Got an example? Either way, it's easy enough to use a different name. C&C: DotA doesn't make sense either way.

the fact that Icefrog and Valve succeeded in what they did still means it is possible for others to do it as well

Which is like saying Evel Knievel set a precedent for others to do crazy ass stunts. Someone who was going to do it was going to do it regardless if they had the ability.

However, it's nonetheless something that is genuinely worth talking about and debating.

Its really not. If I weren't so damn anxious for D3, I wouldn't even have posted about this.

Catacombs13
06-26-2012, 09:38 PM
In May 12, 2012, Blizzard DOTA was officially changed to Blizzard All-Stars under a dispute resolution over the trademark of Dota 2 and Blizzard Dota.
Dota 2 and Blizzard Dota are quite different games, and Blizzard made a number of changes to its DOTA. Blizzard seems to be trying to make games simpler, shorter and more fast-paced. Who was playing Guild Masters on facebook (http://www.mmowood.com/guild-masters)? I need some screenshots and privews of this game for my new game site MMOWood.com. If you like playing this game, please help me.

Alar
06-26-2012, 10:22 PM
I'm still looking forward to it. In most cases the Blizzard-made customs tend to be fun, even if I don't really play their Bejeweled thing or Aiur Chef.

Hawki
06-27-2012, 07:25 AM
The post I've referenced seems to have disapeared. Ignore this entry.

Noctis
07-22-2012, 11:47 AM
is this thing ever going to come out

Kimera757
07-22-2012, 03:57 PM
Eventually. When it's done. What I want to know is... will this be paid DLC?

Twilice
07-22-2012, 04:09 PM
That would just be shooting in their foot if it is.

I was planning to at least try some of it if it was free, but if it costs... then I'll just act as if it never happened.

Alar
07-23-2012, 07:20 AM
Pretty sure they said it would come with the game for free, as sort of a demonstration of what their new Arcade can do. It's supposed to be a shining example of 'premium' games, but not actually one itself.

Kimera757
07-23-2012, 09:01 AM
That was certainly the case when it was being sold as part of Heart of the Swarm.

It could still be free, but I'd like confirmation.