PDA

View Full Version : Developer update for SC2 HOTS!

RamiZ
05-07-2012, 12:00 PM
The list of features that they will include in HOTS. Really great and long awaited list, it will make SC2 HOTS awesome game!

http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/blog/5366967/Developer_Update_with_Production_Director_Chris_Si gaty-5_7_2012#blog

DemolitionSquid
05-07-2012, 01:31 PM
Finally putting in features SC1 had a decade ago, eh? Its too bad only 1/2 of these features will make it in for release, and another 1/4 will only be available through micro-transactions.

Because Blizzard is terrible, is what I'm saying.

Caliban113
05-07-2012, 01:49 PM
Someone mind pasting in the info - our access to bnet has been blocked here at work - :)

DemolitionSquid
05-07-2012, 02:25 PM
Someone mind pasting in the info - our access to bnet has been blocked here at work - :)

Ask n ye shall receive.

Greetings fellow StarCraft II players! The past couple weeks have been amazing for the StarCraft II community. At the Dreamhack Open we saw the Swedish "Spoon Terran," Thorzain, triumph over GSL champion Polt in front of a hometown crowd in an amazing series. That same weekend, the Major League Gaming Spring Arena finals went to best of 7 games to see DongRaeGu victorious against MarineKing, avenging a loss in the Winter Championship. Looking ahead, Team Liquid StarLeague 4 was just announced here and is already getting a lot of excitement from the community. And finally, we have exciting news coming out of Korea as KeSPA and OnGameNet commit to all-new StarCraft II leagues, joining GomTV's GSL and GSTL to create an all-new StarCraft II eSports landscape. Add all of that to the 2012 Blizzard World Championship Series, and the StarCraft II community is already off to an epic 2012 in what could be the most exciting eSports year yet.

In the midst of all this great community news, we want to announce some of the exciting things we’re working on this year for StarCraft II. Here's a list of some of the features we are planning to release at or around the launch of Heart of the Swarm:

Multiplayer resume from replay
Global Play
Multilanguage support
Clan/group system
Unranked matchmaking
Multiplayer replay viewing

Let's go into more detail on each of these, starting with multiplayer resume functionality. We know how important eSports is for the StarCraft II community, and it’s important to us too. For some time now we have been discussing ways to improve StarCraft II to ensure that tournaments both large and small run as smoothly as possible. While we are discussing many different improvements, we've heard your feedback and are creating a way that games can be continued if they are ended prematurely during an eSports event. We have been investigating solutions to this issue for some time, but we expect to offer the ability to resume play from a replay at or around the launch of Heart of the Swarm.

Some of you may have read details about Diablo III Global Play, which will allow Diablo III players to create characters in different regions from their home region so they can play with friends in other parts of the world. We know this is something StarCraft II players have been asking for, and we’re working hard to make it available along with multilanguage support, at or around the release of Heart of the Swarm. We’ll have information as we get closer to Heart of the Swarm’s release.

We continue to read your passionate requests for clan support. We can confirm that we are building a clan/group system that will be released with Heart of the Swarm. We also intend to have our first version of unranked play so you will have the ability to match-make against like-skilled players without having to affect your ladder ranking while you practice off-race or experiment with a new build order.

We'll also be offering a beta sneak peek of Heart of the Swarm to attendees of the MLG Spring Championship on June 8–10 at the Anaheim Convention Center in Anaheim, California. Additionally, we will be releasing news in the next few weeks about how your participation in the upcoming Arcade (1.5) beta can win you chances to get into the upcoming Heart of the Swarm multiplayer beta test.

It’s shaping up to be an amazing year for StarCraft II. Can you believe that Flash will soon be competing in StarCraft II? Before we sign off, we wanted to call attention to a newly created StarCraft II magazine, GLHF magazine, created by a passionate group of StarCraft players. The first issue features some high production quality in our opinion and is well worth checking out. See you online!

The StarCraft II Team

RamiZ
05-07-2012, 04:59 PM
Finally putting in features SC1 had a decade ago, eh? Its too bad only 1/2 of these features will make it in for release, and another 1/4 will only be available through micro-transactions.

Because Blizzard is terrible, is what I'm saying.
Ah, yes, I missed your "optimism". I am still happy that they included this stuff at all, and yes, we probably won't see everything at the release but it still is good nonetheless.

DemolitionSquid
05-07-2012, 05:08 PM
Ah, yes, I missed your "optimism". I am still happy that they included this stuff at all, and yes, we probably won't see everything at the release but it still is good nonetheless.

Lies and broken promises are "good?"

I owe ME3's ending an apology then.

Sheliek
05-07-2012, 05:43 PM
Anyone remember that time they said all the cut models would be in the editor?

Though, to be fair, they said those would come alongside the art tools, which we've not gotten yet. Hope still exists.

Caliban113
05-07-2012, 06:10 PM
(Thanks Squiddles.....)

Im assuming the unranked matchmaking feature is the same as the current, just with no ladder?

Kimera757
05-07-2012, 09:25 PM
Anyone remember that time they said all the cut models would be in the editor?

The DVD was 6.99 GB. There just wasn't the space. I hope those assets are made available, via patch or something.

Also, they never really said all models would be. They said something like that at first, but then they said only those that would be in the campaign would be in the editor. I don't recall seeing any lurkers in the campaign, but they were in the editor anyway.

This is why I worry about posts like this. Blizzard doesn't yet realize if they miss a tiny "promise" they'll be lambasted as heart-breakers. They should always add "we'll try to include these features..." although they'll probably get blasted for hedging like that too :rolleyes:

Sheliek
05-08-2012, 12:16 AM
The DVD was 6.99 GB. There just wasn't the space. I hope those assets are made available, via patch or something.

Also, they never really said all models would be. They said something like that at first, but then they said only those that would be in the campaign would be in the editor. I don't recall seeing any lurkers in the campaign, but they were in the editor anyway.

This is why I worry about posts like this. Blizzard doesn't yet realize if they miss a tiny "promise" they'll be lambasted as heart-breakers. They should always add "we'll try to include these features..." although they'll probably get blasted for hedging like that too :rolleyes:
I'm not lambasting them. My comment was tongue-in-cheek really. Was more disappointed because I'd heard they would be in, then missed entirely the statement that they would not be.

Alex06
05-08-2012, 07:08 AM
Glad to see all of these features and to see that they're finally starting to cover HotS with weekly updates. Hopefully we'll get our hands on the beta by the end of June, which could signify an October or November release.

RamiZ
05-08-2012, 11:13 AM
Lies and broken promises are "good?"

I owe ME3's ending an apology then.
"Lies and broken promises", sure because you know exactly what will happen. I am pretty sure that we will get every single one of these features, sooner or later, not because I believe in Blizzard, but because of Blizzard-GOM-KeSPA-OGN agreement.

DemolitionSquid
05-08-2012, 01:16 PM
"Lies and broken promises", sure because you know exactly what will happen. I am pretty sure that we will get every single one of these features, sooner or later, not because I believe in Blizzard, but because of Blizzard-GOM-KeSPA-OGN agreement.

An agreement which makes no sense. I'd really love to see the terms Blizzard and KeSPA agreed to for this cause round 1 negotiations were a clusterfuck.

sandwich_bird
05-08-2012, 02:57 PM
I think unranked matchmaking is unnecessary. I'd rather play some peepmode. Actually, they should make peepmode an official part of SC2.

RamiZ
05-08-2012, 03:29 PM
An agreement which makes no sense. I'd really love to see the terms Blizzard and KeSPA agreed to for this cause round 1 negotiations were a clusterfuck.
It certainly doesn't make sense to you, that's for sure.

I think unranked matchmaking is unnecessary. I'd rather play some peepmode. Actually, they should make peepmode an official part of SC2.
It probably isn't necessary, but from what I've read, a lot of players actually love it.

DemolitionSquid
05-08-2012, 03:39 PM
It certainly doesn't make sense for you, that's for sure.

I just don't understand how Blizzard and KeSPA "made-up" so (relatively) quickly after Blizzard basically told KeSPA to go fuck themselves when they gloated about having complete control over the SCBW pro-gamers and whined about SC2 not being under KeSPA's thumb. Blizzard's terms at WOL launch were completely unacceptable to KeSPA's fatcats and any kind of deal appeared dead.

That's my vague understanding of it, anyway.

RamiZ
05-08-2012, 03:55 PM
I just don't understand how Blizzard and KeSPA "made-up" so (relatively) quickly after Blizzard basically told KeSPA to go fuck themselves when they gloated about having complete control over the SCBW pro-gamers and whined about SC2 not being under KeSPA's thumb. Blizzard's terms at WOL launch were completely unacceptable to KeSPA's fatcats and any kind of deal appeared dead.

That's my vague understanding of it, anyway.
Exactly, vague understanding. We don't actually know anything besides that, who knows what else they were discussing and talking about that we don't know. Maybe they were even covering up something bigger with those things. It seems like the truth isn't so simple after all.
Something is obviously going on when that kind of agreement is made, even after those things, and it makes sense to them.

TheEconomist
05-12-2012, 08:10 AM
another 1/4 will only be available through micro-transactions.

Riiiight, because SC2 is already flooded with microtransactions :D

Unranked matchmaking

This is good news to me.

DemolitionSquid
05-12-2012, 09:03 AM
Riiiight, because SC2 is already flooded with microtransactions :D

Do I need to quote Bobby Kotick?

"We are Activision-Blizzard. Gaming as you know it is over. Your income will be assimilated. We will add your physical and cyber-active assets to our own. Strength is irrelevant. Negotiation is irrelevant. Freedom is irrelevant. Self-determination is irrelevant. Resistance is futile."

http://wallpaperswide.com/thumbs/terran_ghost___starcraft_2-t2.jpg

Kimera757
05-12-2012, 11:15 AM

What do these terms mean?

Assuming unranked matchmaking is a choice, I wonder how many people will use it? Just seems like smurfs vs noobs.

Crazy_Jonny
05-13-2012, 11:35 AM
Only thing with Peepmode is not everyone likes to spectate. If you ask me, I'm pumped for replay hosting. Out of all of these features, why was THIS not included earlier? I was gonna get HOTS regardless but still. :P

TheEconomist
05-13-2012, 12:39 PM
@DSquid: I could totally picture Bobby Kotick as a Borg.

sandwich_bird
05-13-2012, 06:14 PM
What do these terms mean?

Assuming unranked matchmaking is a choice, I wonder how many people will use it? Just seems like smurfs vs noobs.

''PeepMode is a melee spectator system for Starctaft 2. Up to 14 players can join a game and participate in standard 1v1, 2v2, and FFA matches while others watch, bet, chat, and learn. Many tools are provided for observers including an automatic camera that follows the action, Blizzard replay UI, betting system, global rating, unique observer tools, and more.''

http://www.peepmode.com/

Try it out!

Asfastasican
05-14-2012, 10:31 PM
2 years too late for me. Hell, if D3 is a bust, I definitely won't be buying another Blizzard title. MAYBE the secret mmo will get off its ass and be released sometime this decade and I MAY try it, but meh.

It's still amusing to me that HoN (Heroes of Newerth) has had better features, a better ui and better user functionality since day 1 than Starcraft 2 has had. It's a pretty big joke that its taking more than two years to get HotS, let alone add some of these features.

But then again I guess the joke's on us, since the announcement of them starting that SC2 will be three installments. I guess they are just saving features for us to buy as box sales later!

Man, if Sc2 had the ability or determination to be a microtransaction game in some way, shape or manner, it probably would be a better and more popular game overall. Don't ask me why or how, but my gut just feels that way. If they had other ways to make money from casual fans, the product could have become better overall.

TheEconomist
05-15-2012, 12:08 AM
Every. damn. time.