PDA

View Full Version : April Fools

Kimera757
04-01-2012, 12:12 PM
Blizzard released their April Fool's today (or rather late yesterday).

Here's the link: http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/news/

Gradius
04-01-2012, 12:16 PM
Nice. Must have taken a lot of work to create all that art.

And Tassadar's portrait is still a recycled Archon.

Quirel
04-01-2012, 07:05 PM
"Multiple endings, each influenced by your choices and color-coded for your convenience! (Further epic endings planned for post release as downloadable content.)"

Gotta admire Blizzard's honesty. Can't wait for StarCraft: Supply Depot to come out.

Hawki
04-01-2012, 09:28 PM
Just gone on a edit haul on the wiki...crikey, Blizzard's always referenced their own medias in their April Fools', but now we've got everything from Mass Effect to Double Dragon.

Awesome!:p

Caliban113
04-03-2012, 12:33 PM
They should have set all the Grandmasters to bronze for the day.

hyde
04-03-2012, 02:56 PM
"Multiple endings, each influenced by your choices and color-coded for your convenience! (Further epic endings planned for post release as downloadable content.)"

Gotta admire Blizzard's honesty. Can't wait for StarCraft: Supply Depot to come out.
This. 1000X.
For awhile, I took Blizzard for granted around WoW TBC post release, then I just thought the company lost it when Cataclysm came out added with Diablo 3's almost spiral into hell.
But then I played Dragon Age 2, SWTOR (I'm still a subscriber unfortunately due to my time card), and Mass Effect 3. Wow, talk about perception and a wake up call.

There really is only one Blizzard, and their April fools continuously make me laugh each year, and hopefully I'll be a lifelong customer to their games.
:)

Twilice
04-03-2012, 03:17 PM
IDD, Blizzard games maybe doesn't look that awesome on the outside, but once you start with one of their games your hooked. They know exactly what you want before you even know you want it.

TheEconomist
04-03-2012, 09:43 PM
Diablo 3's almost spiral into hell.

Blizzard games always seem like crap before release. Diablo 2's beta was awful and a lot of people just went back to Diablo 1. But, then years of patching completely changed the game over time.

Caliban113
04-04-2012, 12:35 PM
Friend is letting me use his beta key and I finally got a chance to play - The game definitely has the Diablo 'feel' to me - only problem is that its on the easy setting, so its very difficult to judge what the actual game will be like in that respect. (The Witch Doctor in particular, feels too easy)

There are gameplay elements I miss; stuff like the endurance bar definitely made you more conscious about your tactics. Also, there doesn't seem to be anything like the jewelcrafting element from the last game here. (sorry, have not read up on all the new game mechanics yet....could just be that a lot of this stuff is just not in the beta.)

But overall, it looks and plays really well....definitely looking forward to it.

As fer April fools stuffs....it was funny, but it was no 'Terra-tron' :)

TheEconomist
04-04-2012, 02:31 PM
Terra-tron was the Mona Lisa of April Fools' Jokes.

Twilice
04-04-2012, 03:23 PM
Terra-tron terrorizing.

I'll never forget that one, best ever.

Also well that is basically what Diablo 3 beta feels, just lack of content. But it still definitly gives you the feel, and specially desire, for "real" Diablo 3.

Hawki
04-05-2012, 07:19 PM
It's certainly...interesting to see people take a positive view on the 'feel' of Diablo III. Granted, I can't really comment, having not played the beta and haven't played the previous games that much. Still, I will comment for what it's worth that I think the 'feel' of Diablo, at least as far as the games are concerned, shifts in each installment. D1 is essentially a horror story IMO-limited in scope, but heavy in atmosphere. D2 is essentially an adventure game-the 'feeling' shifts per location, but it's much wider in scope, with distinct protagonists, antagonists, and a goal/intention to prevent goal that drives both parties.

Remains to be seen what D3 will be. I'd wager it shifts towards the adventure angle, but not as clear-cut in D2, considering that there's a lot of unknowns within/about the story.

TheEconomist
04-06-2012, 07:31 AM
Bro, did you really just comment on the atmosphere of Diablo as if it were the 'make it or break it' of the series?

We're talking about gameplay here, so...

Hawki
04-06-2012, 07:50 AM
Of course it's hardly make or break. Simply commenting on the nature of the 'feel' of the series. Course, many people on battle.net are going on a "game feels different, it's ruined, etc.) but of course it ultimately comes down to the gameplay in the end.

TheEconomist
04-06-2012, 08:04 AM
Didn't think so, but we were doing the usual Blizzard pre-release "it is a worthy sequel?" convo.

Twilice
04-06-2012, 11:28 AM
It feels like I thought playing Diablo 3 would feel.

It's like I imagined Diablo 3 to be, at least the very first part of the game. Which quickly becomes boring over time.

TheEconomist
04-06-2012, 02:06 PM
Which quickly becomes boring over time.

Don't be a mamby-pamby and play hardcore. Tell me then its boring :D

Caliban113
04-06-2012, 03:07 PM
After some mer playtime...gonna try and clarify this 'feel' business.

In terms of the gameplay...there are some serious mechanical changes (all designed to speed up the game) and to be honest, I kinda miss some of those old things, (endurance factor, potion belts) but I guess what I meant in "feel" terms, is that (for me anyway) all in all, the pace of the game still feels intact - Unfortunately, you do have to pretty much 'force' the gameplay to get that.

Because the monsters are so ridiculously easy, there's no real need manage your tactics, or even retreat from bad engagements the way we're used to in the previous (complete) games - yer pretty much just free to roam and kill. :) For me, working thru those limitations is where the whole game lies; In D2, when you would get in over your head, you would hightail back to town, retool your inventory, stock up on potions, change or socket weapons etc - you know, all the little rpg 'noodling' we've come to know and love :) - (Actually, at this skill level, its hardly nec to use the Blacksmiths, Artisans for anything yet.) - Anyway, to get the 'feel' im talking about, you have to resist the urge to kill everything in sight, and go back and use all the game mechanics as you would under normal circumstances.

Once the difficulty factor gets added back in, I can see this getting as big as the other games in the series.

That said, I feel they do need to bring back "ammo" for the distance weapons - as far as I can see, there's no limit to their use - and I haven't so much as picked up a dart...too easy, I think.....again, not sure if thats a beta thing. (?)

TheEconomist
04-06-2012, 04:19 PM
(endurance factor, potion belts)

I hated both of these and I'm so glad they are gone. Endurance didn't add anything except to make it harder to go places and potions belts did nothing but make it so you had to right clcik spam for 30 seconds every 5 minutes.

That said, I feel they do need to bring back "ammo" for the distance weapons

You serious? It added nothing to the gameplay and all it did was gimp range characters' inventory.

Because the monsters are so ridiculously easy, there's no real need manage your tactics,

Diablo 3 is harder than Diablo 2, which was harder than Diablo 1. There's an extra difficulty level in Diablo 3 designed to challenge maxed, twinked level 60 chars, whereas Diablo 2 could become a snorefest as soon as level 70, even earlier before patch v1.10. Even the early levels of the beta are harder than the "harder" version of Diablo 2 of patch v1.10+.

I know you know this, but you'd be surprised how many people on this forum don't :D

Twilice
04-06-2012, 08:24 PM
Hm, true I haven't played much hardcore. But it was still funnier before you hit level 13 and with all that gear. (and no I won't drop gear just to challange me unless I get achivements for it or is in a party run with it)

I will still buy Diablo 3 asap, and I don't buy much games. (no I don't download them either, I just stick to a few games at a time)

TheEconomist
04-06-2012, 08:44 PM
But it was still funnier before you hit level 13 and with all that gear.

You're quite possibly the only person out of the thousands of people that I have gamed with over the years that has said this.

Twilice
04-07-2012, 08:41 AM
Well, I guess it's because I... dislike when it gets easier and easier or well after I have killed the skeleton king a few times it gets a bit boring for me.

TheEconomist
04-07-2012, 12:45 PM
Oh, you're talking about the beta. I thought you were talking about the series itself.

In fact case, I agree completely with you. That's why I've only beat the Skeleton King a few times.

solidsamurai
04-09-2012, 03:23 PM

Y'know, I was really hoping the popping depot would vault the marine, like in my dreams. But instead it just become stuck, like a pathing error in SC2. :P

To Fans of Diablo 3 Beta: Are people actually selling items for real money on the market yet (even if the closure of beta will delete their characters and equipment/smithing emporium)?

Is their a market for that sorta thing?
----

Don't be a mamby-pamby and play hardcore. Tell me then its boring :D

You can do that in beta?

Arkalis
04-09-2012, 08:52 PM
To Fans of Diablo 3 Beta:[/B] Are people actually selling items for real money on the market yet (even if the closure of beta will delete their characters and equipment/smithing emporium)?

The Beta players use Beta Bucks that are virtual currency. As such, they can only buy and sell with it but cannot physically use that money or cash it in for more Bucks. This is for testing purposes at (I believe) 1 buck = 1 USD, and all testers were given an initial amount.

solidsamurai
04-09-2012, 11:20 PM
The Beta players use Beta Bucks that are virtual currency. As such, they can only buy and sell with it but cannot physically use that money or cash it in for more Bucks. This is for testing purposes at (I believe) 1 buck = 1 USD, and all testers were given an initial amount.

So the bucks go away once the beta closes?

TheEconomist
04-10-2012, 02:32 PM
Of course.

What made you think Blizzard had become a charity in the last few months?

solidsamurai
04-11-2012, 03:57 PM
Well, I dunno, I was expecting thanks for help testing their next release. Or something.

Yeah, you're right, blizzard is evil.

TheEconomist
04-11-2012, 04:27 PM
Yeah, you're right, blizzard is evil.

Only Communists like you are evil. This comment is only as serious as you were about yours.

Well, I dunno, I was expecting thanks for help testing their next release. Or something.

How about, you should be thankful to play the game early?

solidsamurai
04-11-2012, 04:42 PM
How about, you should be thankful to play the game early?Maybe I should of...

/sarcasm

There. All done!

Arkalis
04-15-2012, 03:14 PM
However, what is profitable in this beta is the key black market