PDA

View Full Version : Will Diablo 3 come out first before SC2's expansion?

Asfastasican
02-29-2012, 05:34 AM
EDIT - Since Diablo 3 is coming out soon, you can discuss whether or not HotS will come out before MoP.

Will Diablo 3 come out before HotS?

I know this might belong in HotS Discussion, but I figured it's more of a question about Blizzard if anything. The reason why I ask this is because I haven't been paying attention to HotS's expected release in a long time and don't have much interest in it. You guys know more about when HotS might come out, even if it's an educated guess or intuition.

Now that I think about it, it kinda feels like the SC2 dev team has kinda kicked their feet up and relaxed the past year or so. They have been able to chill out, since all of the attention and hatred is focused on that whorehouse we call the Diablo 3 dev team atm.

Well, I do have one good reason to hope that Diablo 3 comes first, but that reason isn't relevant to this thread. No use talking about it. So yeah, which game do you guys think will come out first?

Also, here's some light reading:

http://sclegacy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5888

To any of you guys that complained that I should have added a "1.5 year" option back then, I'm sure you are now thoroughly disappointed and see why I only added a 2 year option. :P

Hawki
02-29-2012, 05:48 AM
Almost certainly. D3 at least as a Q2/3 estimation of release, not to mention that as a core game rather than an expansion, not to mention development time, it would presumably be higher on Blizzard's priority list.

Asfastasican
02-29-2012, 06:11 AM
When do you think HotS will be released? Q4 2012? 2013?

TheEconomist
02-29-2012, 08:16 AM
Diablo 3 will almost surely be released with year, with Q2 being most likely.

HOTS will probably be quite a bit after that. Hopefully, Blizzard is using this time to consider criticism of the first.

Twilice
02-29-2012, 08:38 AM
I will be so bussy with D3 and Dota 2 so I hope they won't realease HotS to early. But waiting until 2013 might be a bit long time. Or maybe it's a good time.

Asfastasican
02-29-2012, 08:49 AM
I will be so bussy with D3 and Dota 2 so I hope they won't realease HotS to early. But waiting until 2013 might be a bit long time. Or maybe it's a good time.

I'm in Dota 2 beta right now. If Diablo 3 isn't downright amazing, I might just skip HotS and every next Blizzard title for that matter. It's not like I play SC2 recently.

Twilice
02-29-2012, 08:55 AM
True dat.
I did play some dota 1 (warcraft 3) yesterday. And altough valve did a good job on Dota 2, a part of me is still hoping that it would have been blizzard creating it instead. (and now I mean Dota -2- and not one of their own ideas :F)

solidsamurai
02-29-2012, 03:44 PM
Will Diablo 3 come out before HotS?

I know this might belong in HotS Discussion, but I figured it's more of a question about Blizzard if anything. The reason why I ask this is because I haven't been paying attention to HotS's expected release in a long time and don't have much interest in it. You guys know more about when HotS might come out, even if it's an educated guess or intuition.

Now that I think about it, it kinda feels like the SC2 dev team has kinda kicked their feet up and relaxed the past year or so. They have been able to chill out, since all of the attention and hatred is focused on that whorehouse we call the Diablo 3 dev team atm.

Well, I do have one good reason to hope that Diablo 3 comes first, but that reason isn't relevant to this thread. No use talking about it. So yeah, which game do you guys think will come out first?

Also, here's some light reading:

http://sclegacy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5888

To any of you guys that complained that I should have added a "1.5 year" option back then, I'm sure you are now thoroughly disappointed and see why I only added a 2 year option. :P

Why so glum chum? Hope for a twofer (double whammy, AKA twin release in the same month)! That'd be cool. But if that doesn't happen, you'll have one game to hold you down for another one.

I mean, blizz has released so many games in the past that are all enjoyable.

Ie. I'm trying to beat RoC on hard right now.

Genopath
02-29-2012, 07:40 PM
Oh boy, the time perspective on release dates. Using Blizzard lingo:
Diablo 3: Soonest
HOTS: Sooner
Anything else: Soon

They will be released with at least a 6 month difference to avoid product cannibalism. Assuming nothing out of the ordinary happens here are my estimates:

June/July for D3
Nov 2012 to Jan 2013 for HOTS

Twilice
02-29-2012, 08:28 PM
Didn't you hear? may 16 2012!
It's the latest conspiracy theory!

Jabber Wookie
02-29-2012, 08:30 PM
Oh boy, the time perspective on release dates. Using Blizzard lingo:
Diablo 3: Soonest
HOTS: Sooner
Anything else: Soon

They will be released with at least a 6 month difference to avoid product cannibalism. Assuming nothing out of the ordinary happens here are my estimates:

June/July for D3
Nov 2012 to Jan 2013 for HOTS

Hmm.... I have been under the impression that they want to release the next WoW expansion even before HotS based on something I read recently (can't find it atm)... but either way, I don't expect HotS until Q2 or Q3 2013. And i consider that optimistic given that it's Blizzard... Hopefully they'll prove me wrong for the first time ever.

RamiZ
03-01-2012, 01:42 PM
Hmm.... I have been under the impression that they want to release the next WoW expansion even before HotS based on something I read recently (can't find it atm)... but either way, I don't expect HotS until Q2 or Q3 2013. And i consider that optimistic given that it's Blizzard... Hopefully they'll prove me wrong for the first time ever.
I am pretty sure that MoP will be before SC2:HOTS. But I am actually looking forward SC2:HOTS beta, since it will bring a lot of matches, tourneys etc, and I actually can't wait to see new strategies, units and other stuff. I think that Blizzard won't disappoint with it, even if we have to wait a little longer, it is a lot better to do that, than to get a game that is not finished yet, and I've seen really a lot of these games recently.

Caliban113
03-01-2012, 04:05 PM
How long was the WoL beta? - Any idea if HotS beta will last as long? (If there's anybody here who recalls the BW beta)

Asfastasican
03-01-2012, 05:30 PM
Why so glum chum? Hope for a twofer (double whammy, AKA twin release in the same month)!

Not really glum. just wondering which one will come out first because I haven't heard any Hots news for almost a year. :P

True dat.
I did play some dota 1 (warcraft 3) yesterday. And altough valve did a good job on Dota 2, a part of me is still hoping that it would have been blizzard creating it instead. (and now I mean Dota -2- and not one of their own ideas :F)

I don't really want to talk about all of the details behind Blizzard challenging Valve's trademark. There's too many facts, details and opinions to yap about. But to make a long story short, I'm on Team valve. I've been a Blizzard Fanboi for years but they are losing my respect big time lately.

That goes without saying that, even though I don't play SC2, I still have some respect for the SC2 dev team. Sure, I haven't heard anything recently about HotS, but at least they had a gameplan, stuck to it, and got the game released in a reasonably timely fashion. I also have some big respect for some of the old timers at Blizzard, the art teams and the cinematics team. Everybody else at that company seems to be riding on the coattails of the famous Blizzard brand. It's almost as if they are practicing their tree hugging skills in order to cling onto their money tree, instead of developing their game development skills. Some of the CM's are a huge joke too. Karune was one of the few greats and almost every other CM is a hack. :P

RamiZ
03-02-2012, 12:00 PM
How long was the WoL beta? - Any idea if HotS beta will last as long? (If there's anybody here who recalls the BW beta)
Don't know about any of other questions, but WoL beta was opened on February 17, and the game itself was released in July if I remember correctly. So about 5-6 Months, but since this is expansion, I don't think that we will need that much time for Beta, most of the stuff stays the same, they are adding few new units. My guess is 3-4 months.

HydraHydra
03-05-2012, 09:59 PM
Speaking of D3, the b.net for SC2 have already the achievement, portraits and decals of D3 CE:

Achievement (before the SCmaster's):
http://us.battle.net/sc2/static/local-common/images/sc2/achievements/5-45.jpg?v39

Portraits:
http://us.battle.net/sc2/static/local-common/images/sc2/portraits/1-75.jpg?v39

Decals:
http://us.battle.net/sc2/static/local-common/images/sc2/decals/1-75.jpg?v39
http://us.battle.net/sc2/static/local-common/images/sc2/decals/4-75.jpg?v38

Aldrius
03-06-2012, 07:42 AM
I don't expect HotS until Q2 or Q3 2013. And i consider that optimistic given that it's Blizzard... Hopefully they'll prove me wrong for the first time ever.

Eh... Blizzard expansions usually take about exactly a year after the actual game comes out.

So I'd say anything beyond early 2013 is actually not all that likely. (That's over a year off from NOW...) But I expect I'll probably be proven wrong on that count. =|

mikill
03-10-2012, 04:57 PM
Well they are 'rushing' it by removing PvP in Diablo so they may make up some time now or claim to do so.

TheEconomist
03-10-2012, 06:40 PM
they made make up some time now or claim to do so.

It took me a 10 seconds to figure out what you were trying to say. It would have taken you 3 seconds to reread it and fix it. Be more considerate next time. </halfjoking>

Twilice
03-10-2012, 07:14 PM
It took me a 10 seconds to figure out what you were trying to say. It would have taken you 3 seconds to reread it and fix it. Be more considerate next time. </halfjoking>
http://dash.ponychan.net/chan/files/src/133106482046.jpg

TheEconomist
03-10-2012, 08:39 PM
http://troll.me/images/xzibit-yo-dawg/yo-dawg-we-heard-you-like-ponies-so-we-fucking-murdered-your-family.jpg

Genopath
03-10-2012, 08:54 PM
lmao at that post.

back on topic, it seems that the last beta patch, is what will be on release! I'm thinking we'll get a release date this month, probably :P

Twilice
03-11-2012, 08:08 AM
They better get a release date this months, they said it before that they want to announce the release date a few months ahead. And if they are going to release it "early" 2012 they need to do it really soon.

@Tychus, that is not how you use that meme.

Pr0nogo
03-11-2012, 10:34 AM
@Twilice Perfectly acceptable in this scenario. Ponies deserve to be murdered. : )

TheEconomist
03-11-2012, 12:29 PM
that is not how you use that meme.

@ signs are only used for emails so YOU'RE USING THE INTERNET WRONG!!!

Twilice
03-11-2012, 01:03 PM
@Tychushttp://www.myfacewhen.net/uploads/116-you-activated-my-trap-card.jpg

@Pr0n
Silly. You should watch shed.mov

TheEconomist
03-11-2012, 02:32 PM
Rule #4: If you've been owned, act like you were trolling.

Twilice
03-11-2012, 02:54 PM
http://www.terrariaonline.com/attachments/12760-glasses-macro-rainbow_dash-serious_business-png.9917/
Damned you won...

Now is there anyone who thinks that Starcraft 2 expansion will come out before Diablo 3?
We haven't really heard anything about the expansion since a long time ago now. But Diablo 3 seems to be closer every day.

RamiZ
03-11-2012, 03:11 PM
Now is there anyone who thinks that Starcraft 2 expansion will come out before Diablo 3?
We haven't really heard anything about the expansion since a long time ago now. But Diablo 3 seems to be closer every day.

http://cache.ohinternet.com/images/9/9e/HA_HA_HA,_OH_WOW.jpg

I wish that was possible, but really don't see how they can do that.

hyde
03-14-2012, 01:03 AM
Eb Games / Gamestop here in Canada bumped their release date for Diablo 3 to July 1st from Q4 2012 from what a friend told me. Take this with a grain of salt and a few shots of vodka.

However, this is one speculative thing I figure I'd share. A lot of Diablo 3 products and periphials (spelling?) came out in Dec 2011. Well I assume Blizzard had to put in the art and order at least 6 months before the shelf date to the manufacturers and the people like at Steel Series. This Q4 2011 / Q1 2012 ETA is aligned with their old conference call and would make sense given these products. I think it's pretty safe to say a Q2/Q3 2012 release is imminent given that HOTS must come out this year.

TheEconomist
03-14-2012, 06:23 AM
release is imminent given that HOTS must come out this year.

Except it doesn't have to, so it won't?

vicml21
03-14-2012, 05:21 PM
It won't even be close lol. D3 already had beta, and we're not even sure how close we are to getting a HOTS beta. I still think it can come out this year, barring any major delays. I would have assumed by now that the campaign is on track and the multiplayer is looking a lot different from blizzcon. I hope they give updates on the game soon though, through that dustin browder developer update thing on SC2.com

hyde
03-14-2012, 06:09 PM
Except it doesn't have to, so it won't?

Yeah I was wrong on that, I glanced over their report too fast. But I'd imagine Blizzard will stick to this Q2 Diablo 3 release ETA since it's been delayed already, plus they removed PVP arenas features from launch.

Recently, Blizzard has announced its intention to ship Diablo III in the second quarter of 2012, released a trailer showcasing the multiplayer aspect of its StarCraft II expansion, Heart of the Swarm , and announced plans for the fourth World of Warcraft expansion pack— World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria . In addition to developing these games, Blizzard is currently developing a new massive multiplayer online game.
Source: 2011 Q4 report http://investor.activision.com/secfiling.cfm?filingID=1047469-12-1775&CIK=718877

But I think they will strategically try to time the release of HOTS yielding to the WoW panda expansion.

RamiZ
03-15-2012, 09:15 AM
It is just announced that Diablo 3 will be out on May 15, exactly two months from this day.
I would call that a great news, since with this, SC2:HOTS can be out in 2012(I hope). :)

TheEconomist
03-15-2012, 11:54 AM
Yeah I was wrong on that

Hyde is on a roll!

Asfastasican
04-09-2012, 02:27 PM
I guess this discussion has basically changed to "Will HotS come out before MoP?" That question saddens me though. If HotS comes out in 2013, it means a couple of things.

1. A Starcraft 2 expansion might take 3 years to release. WoW expansions take 2 years on a consistent basis.

2. It's possible that they are spreading out their releases, by spacing out their games and perhaps even delaying them for the sake of revenue smoothing.

solidsamurai
04-09-2012, 03:16 PM
1. A Starcraft 2 expansion might take 3 years to release. WoW expansions take 2 years on a consistent basis.

2. It's possible that they are spreading out their releases, by spacing out their games and perhaps even delaying them for the sake of revenue smoothing.Ah, actually that isn't so depressing, considering that's what just about every big company does now. Which is fine, because y'know... it works. And big companies gravitate towards this tendency to survive. What makes them big? Spending money.

In every other respect, they're slower - they can't really develop their own titles. If blizzard becomes a publisher with it's own development teams (it's probably already secretly this way), then that'd be interesting. As it stands, the company has way too much money.

Consider this: MAssive excess revenue stream means a company naturally gravitates towards growth, because it's the job of certain people within the company to make it grow (particularly any inside investors). In order to grow, the first decision may usually to hire more people, make a team larger and tries things out. If a manager of the team says 'no', then you gotta create a new team, meaning there then has to be communication between the two teams - unless of course you want each team to work on different projects. Also, what if they hired the wrong people? They need to start developing a reputation with publishing and making multiple better games.

Revenue smoothing is fine - but only as long as there isn't a gap of a year or more. Maybe even only a six month gap would be fine.

If blizzard only wants people to only ever play one game at a time though - then that's obviously a bad thing, because it means that they don't know how to look after development as a publisher properly enough to get any reasonable revenue with constant releases.

It's painful to consider that they have to look at experienced and huge publishers like EA or Capcom, though.
----

The most depressing thing about Blizzard is how big they've become, really. Now, they just have to learn to live with it.

That said, I still can't find any reviews for StarCraft 2 on metacritic. :P

Alar
04-12-2012, 07:42 PM
I guess this discussion has basically changed to "Will HotS come out before MoP?" That question saddens me though. If HotS comes out in 2013, it means a couple of things.

2. It's possible that they are spreading out their releases, by spacing out their games and perhaps even delaying them for the sake of revenue smoothing.
I think it's likely to come out late this year around November/December, simply because they've stated how its their intention to put out a game for every IP this year. It's possibly HotS will get pushed back to early 2013, but we won't know until we see a beta. As it stands, D3 will be out first, then MoP, and then HotS.

Hawki
04-13-2012, 12:31 AM
Heh...when Titan is released, do you think they'll go for 4 games in one year?:p

Asfastasican
04-14-2012, 01:14 PM
Heh...when Titan is released, do you think they'll go for 4 games in one year?:p

God knows. I used to think Titan might claim more years than the medieval plague, but for all I know at this point it might be another Blizzard title on my list that I'll just skip. :( Stuff like that depends on whether or not there will be a Diablo 4.

Titan is probably 2 years away, at the very least.

Hawki
04-14-2012, 05:34 PM
May be taking the thread off topic, but I'd personally guess that the earliest we see Titan would be 2016/'17. Assuming it gets announced in 2013 at the year's BlizzCon or similar event, we can presumably wait 3-4 years for its actual release, based on the gap between announcement and release for Wings of Liberty and Diablo III.

So, assuming that expansions are released every two years (which is pretty much the norm for World of Warcraft after Wrath of the Lich King), we can assume that there'll be a WoW expansion released somewhere in this area and presumably the second Diablo expansion as well. Legacy of the Void could be released also I guess if the SC2 expansions follow a 3 year gap or not. Depends when HotS is released.

Personally, I think it's quite likely that there'll be a Diablo IV, in that at the least, Metzen once mentioned that he knows where he wants the story to go after Diablo III and I can make some fair guesses as to what the next logical step is. I'd also classify Diablo as a 'safe' series for Blizzard in that there's no real overlap with any of its other medias. Warcraft IV would overlap with the StarCraft series, Titan would overlap with World of Warcraft, but Diablo effectively remains unique in its repitoire.

Speculation is fun.:D

TheEconomist
04-14-2012, 10:25 PM
Diablo effectively remains unique in its repitoire.

It also has relatively little competition. There's been some challengers to WoW and StarCraft, but never a serious challenge for Diablo.

Jabber Wookie
04-18-2012, 11:36 PM
I haven't visited this place in a while and just came across this thread. My two cents... Yes, I think Diablo 3 will come out before SC2's expansion. But seriously, who could possibly know?! I think the last reveal on the "Darkness Falls, Heroes Rise" website will not be a new class, but rather a downloadable copy of HoTS!!

* I realize this thread was created before the release date was announced so I'm not intending to make fun of OP...

TheEconomist
04-19-2012, 06:58 AM
I am 99% sure that HOTS will be released in less than a month :D

Caliban113
04-19-2012, 11:04 PM
Any idea how long HotS beta will be? - Will it be as long as the WoL beta?

TheEconomist
04-20-2012, 07:54 AM
There is no beta. Release is imminent.

Todie
04-20-2012, 08:22 AM
open beta activating for weekend only in less than six hours.

Alar
04-20-2012, 09:12 AM
Pffsh, imminent? I already have my copy right here! My camera is down though, so I can't take any pictures.