PDA

View Full Version : Situation Report: Patch 1.4.3

DesertRose
02-10-2012, 01:52 PM
We’re pleased to bring you the latest StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty situation report. In this edition, we'll be discussing some of the most notable changes in patch 1.4.3 and shed some light on the design philosophy behind this update.
MULEs now harvest the same amount of minerals on both high yield minerals and normal minerals.

We’ve been looking into the effects that high yield expansions have on gameplay, in particular how the added efficiency of MULEs on these mineral patches can affect matchups. This is also a common piece of feedback we’ve received from both pro players and the community.
We’ve been closely monitoring several sources of information: GSL tournaments which feature maps that do not have high yield mineral patches at all, major tournaments that still use high yield expansions, and our own ladder maps data now that our 1v1 ladder features a tournament-like map pool.
Based on these observations, we’ve made the decision to keep MULE resource generation the same regardless of mineral type, while allowing high yield mineral patches to remain on our ladder maps. This change helps keep the risk vs. reward the same for all three races when acquiring expansions that feature high yield minerals.
Snipe damage changed from 45 to 25 +25 Psionic

We felt the Snipe ability was countering zerg broodlords and ultralisks slightly too well. Especially at the pro level, we were seeing a lot of games where terran players were playing very defensive games while massing ghosts to counter most of the options zerg players had at their disposal.
While we like to see creative and innovative use of units, we felt that in this case Snipe was becoming too effective against zerg’s most expensive units. When adjusting the ability, we tried to settle on a number that would allow using Snipe to remain a viable tactic, though not as powerful as it is now. With this change, brood lords will fall in ten casts of Snipe rather than six (taking into account health regeneration), while an ultralisk will die in 19 casts, up from 11. This also significantly increases the number of ghosts and stockpiled energy needed to pull this tactic off, which we feel confident about because, previously, terran players rarely needed to consider the energy on their ghosts units.
Phoenix now has a range upgrade at the Fleet Beacon

In the past, we’ve discussed whether protoss needed a more immediate change to give them additional ways of dealing with mutalisks in PvZ, or whether it was more appropriate to make changes to that matchup in Heart of the Swarm. After investigating, testing, and reviewing both community and pro feedback, we’ve decided to include a change in this patch.
The phoenix will now have 6 attack range after purchasing an upgrade, which should allow them to more easily deal with a large number of mutalisks. In the previous patch, when protoss players attempted to move their armies out across the map, their bases became extremely vulnerable. Existing options to cope with massed mutalisks were costly and not always effective. This range upgrade should help even the odds by giving protoss players the option to reactively build phoenixes in smaller numbers, and with some micro, allow them to more efficiently defend against mutalisk swarms. Upgraded phoenixes should also offer protoss players the potential for better map control in the PvZ match up.
Still, we also wanted to make sure that producing mutalisks in PvZ remains a viable strategy, and believe that it is. While it might not be a good idea to brute force a protoss opponent with a ton of mutalisks, pairing them with units such as infestors and/or corruptors will help counter the advantage the new range upgrade provides.
APM / CPM changes

There was a lot of concern and debate regarding whether APM should be an accurate number or it should be a fun, play style distinguishing factor like it has been traditionally. After hearing a lot of feedback from both sides, we decided to bring back classic APM, and change our current APM (that doesn’t count spam clicks) to be called Commands Per Minute, or CPM.
This way, pro players who want to show off how fast their hands move can do so, while at the same time players who really just want to know how accurate and efficient their actions are can look at CPM.

As always, we will continue to follow player discussions on our forums as well as fan sites and beyond, and we look forward to your constructive feedback regarding these changes. As with all balance-related changes, we've made these decisions with great care and consideration to ensure a great playing experience for players of all skill levels.
* David Kim is a game designer for StarCraft II and he’s a big fan of community map contest maps.
Scource: http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/blog/4448820/Situation_Report_Patch_143-2_10_2012#blog

Kimera757
02-10-2012, 01:56 PM
I'm confused. There's been no new patch.

TheProgramer
02-10-2012, 03:33 PM
I thought the MULE fix was an obvious one. It was the fix my mind immedialty went to when I heard about MULE's problems.

Caliban113
02-10-2012, 03:43 PM
I agree about the mule fix - totally reasonable.

However, I feel that while the Ghost nerf fixes things at the pro level, its going to be hell for us guys at the lower levels. Are Infestors categorized as 'Psionic'? - even still, EMP is better to use against them - dang.

Guess ah just gots to git better now.... :-)

DesertRose
02-10-2012, 05:05 PM
The only units that are biological and psionic are Queens, Infestors, Ghosts, High Templars and Dark Templars. The only two units that now need less Sniper shots to be killed are Infestors and Ghosts (I know you could theoretically kill an Infestors with just two Snipe shots but I doubt even a handful of pros are unable to pull that off in an actual game); and against both I would rather use EMP.
Snipe is a lot weaker against every non-psionic unit, e.g. you cannot even one-shot a Baneling; I doubt the nerf will go through the PTR in this form.

RamiZ
02-10-2012, 05:25 PM
Wow, actually all these things are pretty good, amazing if I may say. Great changes!

@Caliban
Yes, Infestors are psionic, but you can't say that EMP is better, it is situational. For example, two Infestors can melt your army with few fungals, but I would never use EMP on two Infestors, especially that you need two EMPs to get Infestor to 0 energy and you actually need to hit them both.
Four snipes kills 2 Infestors for only 100 energy, and the range of snipe is longer, so you actually can kill them before they manage to cast any spells.

And you won't completely counter Ultras now by just massing Ghost, and you'll have to make Vikings instead of just going straight to Ghosts.

RamiZ
02-10-2012, 05:26 PM
Lag... Double post.

DonQuixote
02-10-2012, 09:06 PM
Phoenix:
I'm a bit curious how the phoenix upgrade will play out, while it might be meant as a "counter" to mutalisk I can see a lot of other uses for it.
The additional range might make it a better all-around unit and I'm looking forward to trying it out.

Mule: The mule change won't change anything in the way I'm currently playing, but I think it's much needed at pro-level play.
Snipe: 19 shots to kill a ultralisk!?
Guess it's time to start guessing when to produce vikings in 2 matchups :(

DesertRose
02-11-2012, 04:32 AM
Snipe: 19 shots to kill a ultralisk!?
Yeap, either Blizzard didn't told us about the upcoming Ultra nerf or they simply miscalculated.

TheProgramer
02-11-2012, 12:29 PM
As a Protoss player of course I'm happy about the snipe nerf, but as I off race frequenlty i'm a little sadened. I would some times go marine/ghost and do a nice push with snipe and EMP and sniping baneings was essential. Now that I can't 1-shot them and Roaches will take longer to kill . . . well lets just say I'm glad I already got my random 100 wins and don't have to worry about playign terran anymore.

DonQuixote
02-11-2012, 03:40 PM
Yeap, either Blizzard didn't told us about the upcoming Ultra nerf or they simply miscalculated.

Since 11*45 = 495 I really don't know.
20-21 snipes will require me to buy a new mouse pretty soon.

Twilice
02-11-2012, 06:41 PM
maybe they were adding in some damage for the autoattack on snipers?

mikill
02-12-2012, 11:27 AM
YES: For Phoenix Upgrade.
YES: For nerfing Gold Mining MULEs
NO: For reducing snipe effectiveness

TheProgramer
02-12-2012, 01:48 PM
Meanwhile at Blizzard: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7edeOEuXdMU

Jabber Wookie
02-12-2012, 06:23 PM
Are archons psyionic?

TheProgramer
02-12-2012, 08:30 PM
Are archons psyionic?

Yes, but not biological.

DonQuixote
02-13-2012, 09:55 AM
Btw, anyone tried out the new map pool?
Played a couple of ZvTs vs. a friend on Korhal Compound and I have to say it seems pretty good, lots of open spaces, some chokes and about the right amount of cliffs.
Cloud kingdom isn't a favorite for me but much better than Xel'Naga Caverns.

RamiZ
02-13-2012, 12:33 PM
Btw, anyone tried out the new map pool?
Played a couple of ZvTs vs. a friend on Korhal Compound and I have to say it seems pretty good, lots of open spaces, some chokes and about the right amount of cliffs.
Cloud kingdom isn't a favorite for me but much better than Xel'Naga Caverns.
Both maps seem damn great. Played Cloud Kingdom before already, when I saw it in some tournament. Didn't play Korhal Compound yet, but it seems very much like Dual Sight with lowered center and it is a bit smaller. Overall, I think that maps won't have major flaws with the matches and won't affect balance way too much like some other do.

Kimera757
02-23-2012, 11:08 AM
The patch is up now, but I've seen no discussion of it.

Link: http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/blog/4487503

General

APM values displayed on the Leader Board are now calculated by counting every click and command that has been issued by the player.
EPM values displayed on the Leader Board are calculated by counting only actual commands issued by the player (Effective Actions Per Minute).
Zerg Larvae are now displayed in the unit panel of the Leader Board.

Balance

PROTOSS

Phoenix

A new upgrade has been added to the Fleet Beacon: Anion Pulse-Crystals. This upgrade increases Phoenix weapon range by +2.

TERRAN

Ghost

Snipe damage changed from 45 to 25 (+25 vs Psionic).

Orbital Command Center

MULE now always returns 30 minerals per trip, regardless of mineral type.

Bug Fixes

The “Try the Next Patch” button now properly launches the PTR client when a PTR is available.
Unread chat notifications no longer reset when entering or leaving a game.
Map information now loads immediately in the Match History screen after logging onto Battle.net.
In the Korean version, the Reduced Violence option now remains checked when restoring gameplay defaults.
Fixed a display issue that could occur when binding certain keys on a French keyboard.
Fixed a crash that could occur when exiting StarCraft II on systems with Geforce FX 5700 graphics cards.
Fixed a crash that could occur when saving and loading games between High and Low video settings.
Fixed an issue that could cause some players to be dropped from custom games after spending an extended time in the lobby.
Fixed an issue which was causing some players with a full version of SC2 to be stuck in Starter Edition.
Fixed an issue that could cause ladder matches to sometimes start three seconds late.
Fixed an issue where overlapping units could sometimes traverse cliff levels.
Fixed an issue which prevented some players from receiving credit for Top X achievements after Season 3.
Fixed an issue which caused FFA games to reset the progress of the Team Hot Streak achievement.
Fixed an issue where the Restart button was incorrectly showing up when loading Vs. AI saved games from previous versions of StarCraft II.

Mac Bug Fixes

Fixed an issue where the cursor would disappear when using the middle mouse button.
Fixed an issue which caused performance to drop significantly during large battles.
Fixed an issue that was causing certain mod maps to crash after loading.
The Reduce Mouse Lag option now works properly on Macs.

mikill
02-23-2012, 11:14 PM
Really? They didn't PTR it?

Pr0nogo
02-24-2012, 01:33 AM
MULE now always returns 30 minerals per trip, regardless of mineral type.

Stupid.
I'm all for nerfing Terrans, because they need it. This just makes no sense at all.

RamiZ
02-24-2012, 06:39 PM
Stupid.
I'm all for nerfing Terrans, because they need it. This just makes no sense at all.
How so? Terran as race got huge advantage over other races by having gold minerals, that is actually a no-brainer change, it makes perfect sense.

Pr0nogo
02-24-2012, 06:46 PM
Every race can have high-yield minerals, so I don't know where you're going with that.
I'm talking about how MULEs suddenly harvest half as well when harvesting high-yield ones. It makes no sense. At all.

Gradius
02-24-2012, 06:46 PM
Yeah it was basically GG whenever a Terran had the gold for more than a minute, especially on Xel'Naga Caverns.

TheEconomist
02-24-2012, 07:15 PM
It makes no sense. At all.

I hope you're talking about the lore.

Or else I'd be willing to bet your a goldie fish, or lower.

DemolitionSquid
02-24-2012, 07:19 PM
Imho, this whole damn game needs to be nerfed.

http://collider.com/uploads/imageGallery/Nurf/nerf___american_gladiator_tf08.jpg

TheEconomist
02-24-2012, 07:21 PM
Preach it to 'em, Squib. The Terran, Zerg, and Protoss are just plain fucking overbalanced.

DemolitionSquid
02-24-2012, 07:44 PM
We all know black people preach it best.

TheEconomist
02-24-2012, 07:46 PM
Amen, Brother Preacher Revron Custerworth the Fourth!

RamiZ
02-25-2012, 10:03 AM
Every race can have high-yield minerals, so I don't know where you're going with that.
I'm talking about how MULEs suddenly harvest half as well when harvesting high-yield ones. It makes no sense. At all.
Terran with high-yield minerals got huge advantage over Protoss or Zerg that has high-yield minerals because of the MULEs. It is not something that I don't like, it is the fact.

High-yield minerals are almost always at some place where it is difficult to defend for Protoss and Zerg, but unlike them, it is easy to get Planetary Fortress, while you use MULEs from other bases to mine on them, and you basically got greatly secured base until enemy get tier 2,5-3 units where you can destroy Planetary Fortress without good chunk of units lost. So it is nerfed only because of the balance reasons.