PDA

View Full Version : Starting up a multi-person project?

Sheliek
01-17-2012, 01:55 AM
Basically just some questions. I don't want to start work in the area of modelling or gameplay and mapping until after Heart of the Swarm, or possibly even Legacy of the Void, but I was wondering how far along I should have a vision of the campaign before I start recruiting people to help with mapping, acting, et cetera.

I've mostly just got plot notes, some map sketches, tech trees and unit concepts, a few cinematic ideas, but nothing too permanent.

That said, I'd like to start in earnest soon, if that's possible. I just want to wait due to art assets. I understand those are not terribly important, so I probably shouldn't.

So, basically: what stage of a project should I start looking for people to model, make maps, program, things like that? Where should I look? I know of Campaign Creations and SC2Mapster. Are there other places with a good history of modding and mapping?

Thanks in advance.

Pr0nogo
01-17-2012, 04:43 PM
Nibbits is dead nowadays, but StarEdit Network might offer you some help.

I personally am an avid musician (classical music, rock music, w/e, mostly for StarCraft projects) and voice actor, so if you need help in that department (should your project ever get off the ground), drop me a line.

I'd start looking for mapping help pretty soon, so you can get the framework for the project. The rest can be found at comfortable stages.

Sheliek
01-17-2012, 06:42 PM
Nibbits is dead nowadays, but StarEdit Network might offer you some help.

I personally am an avid musician (classical music, rock music, w/e, mostly for StarCraft projects) and voice actor, so if you need help in that department (should your project ever get off the ground), drop me a line.

I'd start looking for mapping help pretty soon, so you can get the framework for the project. The rest can be found at comfortable stages.

Thanks for the advice. I suck at mapping, but I could probably find some people to help out pretty easily.

I'll finish the sketches soon then, wasn't sure if I should do those quickly. If I want to wait for the tilesets that come out with the expansions, I can just have placeholder terraining done I assume.

This is a SC2 project, to clarify. I understand you're a bit not-that-fond of it, but if you're willing to compose, that'd be wonderful. Classical and rock are two genres I'm looking at for sections of the campaigns.

I might do a basic SC1 version to give anyone who helps an idea of what the terrain and missions should feel like.

Church
01-17-2012, 11:54 PM
Hey, man.
I'd like to help out if possible. I'm not amazing with SCIIs editor, but I'm experienced with SCI and my skills with that could potentially be transferred over with some practice. I'm pretty decent with script writing, too, so if you want a hand with that, I'm up for it.
So, like Pr0, I am a music composer. If you'd like, you can check out some of my stuff here. (http://crescendoentertainment.bandcamp.com/album/the-major-ost) Also, here's an example of my 'metal/hard rock' style:
KDTUZK04QS8
Anyway, yeah, lemme know if I can help!

Sheliek
01-18-2012, 04:40 PM
Both of your music is quite good, thank you for the offers. I'll keep both in mind.

Church
01-18-2012, 04:44 PM
Pr0nogo and I are actually the team members of a two-man group called Crescendo Entertainment, so if one of us jumps on board I'm sure the other will too.

Sheliek
01-18-2012, 04:53 PM
Fair enough.

Sheliek
01-19-2012, 01:48 PM
I've got a collection of people together to help work on scripts, it's one of my weaknesses, but I don't suck at it so much as try to find the perfect word and fail.

So yeah, I am confident this may just work out.

Gradius
01-19-2012, 05:38 PM
How much money are you dumping into this?

But I'd say having the actual script ready is of most vital importance.

Sheliek
01-19-2012, 05:49 PM
How much money are you dumping into this?

But I'd say having the actual script ready is of most vital importance.

I agree with that. You can't have a campaign without the script. A good script, however, is daunting to me. I don't want to put out crap.

And however much I can afford. Not much, but it should help. How much a month do you figure would be necessary for a 60+ mission campaign, voice acted, custom models, artwork, et cetera in the span of three years? I understand it depends on who wants pay, who doesn't. I'd feel rude paying some members but not others, even if they said they'd do it for free.

Gradius
01-19-2012, 06:41 PM
Don't really know how much any of that costs, but I wouldn't be surprised if art/models is on the steep side.

Sheliek
01-19-2012, 06:52 PM
Don't really know how much any of that costs, but I wouldn't be surprised if art/models is on the steep side.

I know some modellers do charge, but I know others do it because they like to or for the community.

Sheliek
05-22-2012, 12:18 AM
Don't feel like making its own thread until I have something tangible to show (a mission, really, and that's a ways off, certainly), but a minor update on that alluded-to project of mine (tentatively titled 'Legacy of the Xel'naga)'. Two concept artists (I've shown off a bit of the art already), and am negotiating with a couple of others. Two musicians (one professional) have agreed to work on the project when it comes to that stage. I have several personal friends with varying areas of expertise contributing as well. A website will be made once the first draft of the script is completed.

But anyway, my role in this is organisation, script-writing, plotting, and some basic jobs here or there. The plot is mostly done, with a short demo campaign's script almost done. Will post a sample when the first editing session is completed.

I have designed tech trees for Raynor's Raiders, the Dominion, the Kel-Morian Combine, Umojan Protectorate, UED, the Nerazim, the Khalai protoss, and the zerg (though that one is VERY much obsoleted at this point). The only factions that need tech trees done at this point are the Confederacy, the Hybrids, and the assault, defense and infestation broods (as I said, zerg was obsoleted at this point). They all need some work, being first drafts again, but I think the bare-bones (IE, most units and structures, and a good sampling of abilities are probably set in stone).

As for the plot, I don't wish to spoil it, but: it starts right at the beginning of the final Brood War campaign, 'Queen of Blades'. It is an alternate take on the plot of StarCraft II, though parallels will be made. There will be six campaigns, varying in length from 10 to 20 plot-focused missions (with lighter, skirmish missions playing into each factions campaign mechanic), along with a short demo campaign. These campaigns are, in order (with numeric order, character and faction): N: The Brood War (Kerrigan, Zerg), I: Reconstruction (Warfield, Dominion), II: Dark Origins (Zeratul, Nerazim), III: He Who Fights Monsters (Raynor, Raynor's Raiders), IV: Abyss (Kerrigan, Zerg), V: Hybrid Ascendant (spoilery goodness, Hybrid), VI: Armageddon (Artanis, Khalai). While it may sound pointless have six campaigns when over ten factions exist, a chance to play as or use many toys from each will be presented.

Any artists, actors, testers, people apt with the Galaxy editor, modelers, and possibly actors (might skimp out on this one, depending. I don't want a small handful of actors playing a diverse cast of characters unless they can really Jack Ritschel their voice) who are interested, do inquire. At this point however, artists are really all we need. MANY units, buildings, interfaces, environments (tilesets, cinematic settings) and characters need doing, and it's best to get all of that out of the way as soon as possible.

So yeah, all talk and no show. Expect it to remain the same for quite a while, and expect another update only when something major happens.