PDA

View Full Version : Question about Arc Sheild

TheProgramer
10-27-2011, 05:48 PM
Can someone explain it to me? I heard that it does 20 damage to light. Does that mean it does 0 damage to non-light? How much additional armor and sheild does it give to a building it's cast on? How long does it last? Just tell me all about it.

DemolitionSquid
10-27-2011, 06:07 PM
Can someone explain it to me? I heard that it does 20 damage to light. Does that mean it does 0 damage to non-light? How much additional armor and sheild does it give to a building it's cast on? How long does it last? Just tell me all about it.

Arc Sheild does 5 damage + 15 vs light. It lasts 20 seconds. Don't know about armor/shield increase numbers.

The_Blade
10-27-2011, 07:37 PM
It works like the old, super queen spell which created a "locust" swarm on building. The cannon will either attack until the building is destroyed or when the timer runs out. You meed a gateway for the spell.

DemolitionSquid
10-27-2011, 07:56 PM
Anyone else concerned how this will replace Forge first play and Cannon Rushes? I can't see a single reason to not build a Gateway first with this stupid spell.

JackhammerIV
10-27-2011, 09:53 PM
Anyone else concerned how this will replace Forge first play and Cannon Rushes? I can't see a single reason to not build a Gateway first with this stupid spell.

Yeah. Hence why they're considering not allowing it to be cast on pylons and assimilators. But really...pylon+gateway would be the same cost as a pylon+cannon and it has a lot more health. Does take 25 more seconds to build though. But might be better overall anyways. Make zealots out of it to pressure. In base proxy gates would become more dangerous to the opponent depending on where you hide the gates. A cannon is easier to squeeze into tight spots though. It's a difficult spell to balance.

TheProgramer
10-27-2011, 11:38 PM
It's a spell! Yes a spell that RUNS OUT. Which means cannon rushing has a longer-lasting effect. A presence in one of their bases which even after it has killed the probes and the buildings must be dealt with if a shared base, and if not is a area off limits to enemy fliers.

Also photon cannons can kill the buildings (5 damage for a limited time is hardly a building killer) and thus can lay waste to the enemies whole base not just its light units.

Also how do u plan on getting as many cannons as you would have in a cannon rush with a spell that costs 3/4 the energy of a nexus?

There is plenty of reasons to still have the cannons.

JackhammerIV
10-27-2011, 11:47 PM
It's a spell! Yes a spell that RUNS OUT. Which means cannon rushing has a longer-lasting effect. A presence in one of their bases which even after it has killed the probes and the buildings must be dealt with if a shared base, and if not is a area off limits to enemy fliers.

Also photon cannons can kill the buildings (5 damage for a limited time is hardly a building killer) and thus can lay waste to the enemies whole base not just its light units.

Also how do u plan on getting as many cannons as you would have in a cannon rush with a spell that costs 3/4 the energy of a nexus?

There is plenty of reasons to still have the cannons.

3/4 the energy of a nexus??? Wasn't the version of this spell at Blizzcon something that cost 25 energy...

You'd only be targeting buildings if you let a hatch first go up or if you're going for an all-in cannon rush.

The Arc Shield is meant as a defensive ability but it does have potential for light harass early on. If they decide to keep it in still able to be cast on pylons and assimilators then it'd be obviously what Protoss would do all the time early game.

The_Blade
10-28-2011, 12:57 PM
Arc Shield energy cost is 25 on the BlizzCon build and lasts for 20 seconds.

A friend did a pretty fast rush into the enemy Terran base. He warped his first pylon and gateway behind the enemy gas. Used no cronoboost on workers, created a zealot, and created a pylon to reinforce the gateway. A constant use of Arc Shield on the Gateway sealed the deal. GG

Basically it's a cannon rush without cannons.

MulletBen
10-29-2011, 02:04 AM
You can only get one cannon, though, unless you want to spend an extra 400 minerals. You can keep the gateway/pylon/what-have-you as a cannon, but it will take all your nexus energy. as long as you can overwhelm the single arc-shielded building, plus whatever units the protoss warps in, you can take out the rush.

Todie
10-30-2011, 06:37 AM
Two things: if youre seriously rellying on arsheield readines to fend off early pressure, you will need to pool your nexus energy, meaning you are not chronoboosting probes very intesively, witch as i undertand it is acutally somewhat critical in keeping even or pulling ahead in 2-base vs 2-base openings. duration compared to energy cost is a good balaning tool ehre, and really 20 seconds is short enough to seem ok IMHO.

secondly, the 5 damage to non-light is almost negligible; any early timing poke with raoches (or marauders/stalkers) should role right on through most 1gate-nexus play

i think it shuold work out fine, but who knows?

Twilice
10-30-2011, 06:56 AM
Indeed in order to use arc shield the protoss players would need to sacrifice chronoboosts.
It's the same way that balances orbital command, I hear those "mule and scan and extra supply in one building so imba" but it's not like a terran player can use all of them at the but have to choose between them.