PDA

View Full Version : About certain units.

Jconant
10-26-2011, 09:45 PM
I'm wondering if one of the reasons why certain units dont look appealing or is being cut is because they are not units that have multiple uses, which is why I'm somewhat worried about the protoss harassment unit- that is all it is going to be useful for is flying into bases and disabling buildings/ resource harvesting.

Shouldnt this unit have a different spell that could redefine its use? Offer a different way to make use of it?

This doesnt have to be a discussion solely on one unit, but the new protoss spellcaster and the reaper are units that pop in my mind as units you cant use outside its primary role.

MulletBen
10-26-2011, 11:45 PM
The oracle is meant to not be included in the deathball, so giving it an attack or some combat utility would be contrary to that goal.

It also has a sort of scouting spell, so it isn't completely harass-based.

Todie
10-27-2011, 03:51 AM
disabling buildings also makes them non-targetable, so it can be used defensively, especially to uphold a wall of like, gateways.

Twilice
10-27-2011, 06:52 AM
Does anyone know how much energy the replicator will get if it replicates something? It did have all the upgrades, does that mean that it will start with 3/3 of the replicated unit?

JackhammerIV
10-27-2011, 07:11 AM
Does anyone know how much energy the replicator will get if it replicates something? It did have all the upgrades, does that mean that it will start with 3/3 of the replicated unit?

The upgrades just refers to thing like cloak, energy upgrades, storm, siege mode, etc that has to be researched. Don't think it gets 3/3 upgrades. Interested to know if it copies the level of upgrades on the unit it replicates though.

Twilice
10-27-2011, 08:07 AM
And the starting energy, it could see use as a anti ghost replicator ghost.

Aldrius
10-28-2011, 02:56 AM
It's a tiny bit niche, but I don't think units are being removed for a lack of versatility, but more a lack of any use whatsoever or lack of use as their intended role.

Todie
10-28-2011, 06:12 AM
considering you just need vision of something to replicate it i would assume you only get the standard amount of energy when replicating, tahat is, 50 or 75 depending on if they have a modeus reactor type upgrade or not (75 for a ghost, 50 for a templar...)

horror
10-30-2011, 07:07 PM
On the subject of Replicator, there are 2 things I would be very interested to know about,

1. What happens if you replicate a unit of your own?

If you can do this, imagine the amount of opportunities you can get to access mid/late game tech. And yes, I know that it's just one unit per 200/200, but you could potentially leapfrog the opponent techwise with a select number of units. This could make certain all-in pushes that much more interesting and decisive. Also, being able to replicate your own units would mean you could practically spawn units you are desperately in need of in seconds. For instance, pushing into the enemy's base may require more stalkers, immortals, HTs, DTs, you name it - and you might not know you needed them until you're there. The enemy isn't always going to have the perfect counter to their own units, but you might, just in fewer numbers that what is needed. The same applies for 2v2.

2. What do you get and what don't you get? (This is just balancing issues).

We know that a copied unit gets all upgrades. But what about stats? Yeah, sure I'm gonna get 160 hitpoints total from a Siege Tank, but what if that Siege Tank is half damaged? To add to that, What happens if I replicate a Viper? Do I get full energy? Do I get spawning energy? Or will the energy the targeted unit has be my own? I'd hope it would be the first, as I see the Replicator being an instantaneous game changer, not something I activate and then hide away for a while. That's not to say that I shouldn't be able to do that, but a player should be able to choose the next move. Another point I'm interested is why everybody finds the ghost so appealing to copy. We all know that the greatest fear we have when we see a ghost is when the first nuke will be dropped, and where. It would be logical to say that the Replicator will not have access to nukes, despite having access to other abilities. Maybe there's something I'm not getting.

There is one change I would like to make to the Replicator, and that is to make it recyclable. Obviously this would have to require some sort of sacrifice, be it cooldown, energy or something else. Yet, if it were implemented it would make Replicators that much more appealing for both the enemy to eliminate and the player to use effectively.
What I think would be REALLY FREAKING AWESOME, yet probably massively OP, is to give the replicator a 'bank' of copied units. Even if you limit this to 2, imagine what you could do with a shapeshifting unit. It'd be like a Viking on steroids. The real magic in this kind of unit is the expense and how much you can/should invest in it.

Zero
11-01-2011, 04:52 PM
On the subject of Replicator, there are 2 things I would be very interested to know about,

1. What happens if you replicate a unit of your own?

If you can do this, imagine the amount of opportunities you can get to access mid/late game tech. And yes, I know that it's just one unit per 200/200, but you could potentially leapfrog the opponent techwise with a select number of units. This could make certain all-in pushes that much more interesting and decisive. Also, being able to replicate your own units would mean you could practically spawn units you are desperately in need of in seconds. For instance, pushing into the enemy's base may require more stalkers, immortals, HTs, DTs, you name it - and you might not know you needed them until you're there. The enemy isn't always going to have the perfect counter to their own units, but you might, just in fewer numbers that what is needed. The same applies for 2v2.

2. What do you get and what don't you get? (This is just balancing issues).

We know that a copied unit gets all upgrades. But what about stats? Yeah, sure I'm gonna get 160 hitpoints total from a Siege Tank, but what if that Siege Tank is half damaged? To add to that, What happens if I replicate a Viper? Do I get full energy? Do I get spawning energy? Or will the energy the targeted unit has be my own? I'd hope it would be the first, as I see the Replicator being an instantaneous game changer, not something I activate and then hide away for a while. That's not to say that I shouldn't be able to do that, but a player should be able to choose the next move. Another point I'm interested is why everybody finds the ghost so appealing to copy. We all know that the greatest fear we have when we see a ghost is when the first nuke will be dropped, and where. It would be logical to say that the Replicator will not have access to nukes, despite having access to other abilities. Maybe there's something I'm not getting.

This is one of those situational things you wish you would've thought about when you were there. I have no idea if you can replicate your own unit to bypass research costs.

For energy, I do not know, but I'm quite sure it replicates at full HP.