PDA

View Full Version : Quote links are kinda weird.

n00bonicPlague
09-04-2009, 06:26 PM
that thing up there ^^

(see next post)

Pandonetho
09-04-2009, 06:29 PM
What?

n00bonicPlague
09-04-2009, 06:36 PM
that thing up there ^^
Why does it have the whole link instead of just the anchor #27580 part? Having to refresh the page for every quote is a bit annoying. I know there are cases where the quoted post is on another page, but is there anyway you can make it to where it only does the whole link for that case?

What?lol sorry, I hadn't made the post yet. Got distracted :P

Pandonetho
09-04-2009, 06:37 PM
Even though the question is not addressed to me, I have no clue what you're talking about.

n00bonicPlague
09-04-2009, 06:43 PM
Even though the question is not addressed to me, I have no clue what you're talking about.
In each response quote there is a little arrow that links you to the source of the original quote, which makes it easier to keep track of conversations. It's an anchor, but they all refresh the entire page instead of just scrolling you to the post. I'm asking if they can make it happen on only the ones that quote from a previous page.

Gradius
09-04-2009, 07:25 PM
It works fine for me.

n00bonicPlague
09-04-2009, 07:32 PM
It works fine for me.
You mean that it doesn't refresh the page for you?

Gradius
09-04-2009, 08:31 PM
Actually, you're right, once I try it on a different quote, it does. It's weird because I never actually use that button. :P

AJ
09-04-2009, 10:45 PM
A lot of things have to do with the manner in which the subsystem is coded, it's not as though myself or SCL has written vBulletin themselves.

It's handled that way because a quote isn't necessarily from the same thread/page as your current browser session. What's to say another user isn't using different post per page settings and wouldn't have to load a separate page anyhow? Without adding in more complexity and more queries to the enduser, it's the simplest and most cost-effective with regard to server resources to simply force a reload for those users who choose to click the arrow and link to the original post.

As evidenced above, it's not always super common.

LordofAscension
09-04-2009, 10:45 PM
Actually, you're right, once I try it on a different quote, it does. It's weird because I never actually use that button. :P

Nor do I, but I believe this is something that is just hardcoded into VB - because not all quotes are from the same thread it does it the way it does.

~LoA

n00bonicPlague
09-04-2009, 10:56 PM
Well, I guess if it's hardcoded it's hardcoded.

Thanks anyway guys.