PDA

View Full Version : Wishlist of B.NET 2.0 Features

Blazur
05-12-2009, 07:58 AM
Random Teams: I'd like the ability to scramble the teams of every player in a lobby. Say there's 6 people waiting to start a game. You set all their teams to random, and designate a 3:3 game. When the match starts all players are randomly assigned to a team. I forget if WC3 or even SC offered this.

Drawing on minimap: Pinging the map is nice, but I'd like to take it one step further and allow drawing on the mini-map ala John Madden. Guild Wars had this feature and it was very helpful for coordinating attacks.

Removal of Hide Terrain button: Do we really need this button on the UI? It was never used, and only caused problems when the wrong hotkey was pressed by mistake shutting it off. Plus it takes up space.

Minimized UI: An option to reduce the UI clutter and messaging to bare essentials for experienced users. This is mainly in reference to the pop-up detail windows.

Stored replays in account: Would be nice if we could retain favorite replays on our accounts for others to watch.

Exporting of replays to Flash: In the era of web 2.0, an easy way to display replays would be lovely and a great mechanism for promoting the game. It'd be great if it was somehow possible to export a recorded game into a universal Flash format with controls that allows you to pan around and zoom in/out. I enjoy watching game replays during my lunch breaks at work, and this would facilitate that.

More comprehensive stats: I'd like to see a robust stats system that tracks your unit usage for each race. Perhaps a specific percentage of which units you built most among all of them, which can be compared against other races or overall. Achievements would also be listed. All this would be accessible both from inside the game and on a webpage.

Compare stats: Because of my highly competitive nature I enjoy comparing my stats to other players to see how I measure up against them.

Player history: Longer history of the players/teams you've played against/with.

Screenshot tool: Nearly every game has this. Press a button to drop a screenshot onto your harddrive. You can optionally include/exclude the UI if you prefer.

Perfecttear
05-12-2009, 08:19 AM
I would really love for a more advanced options while watching reaplays, option to toglle minimap view, so you can see what each player is doing, and what they have discovered, apm count, and a option to lock the player view and commands so you can see exactly what he sees and what commands he issues. There should be many more options to choose from and information visiable when watching replays.

Blazur
05-12-2009, 08:25 AM
I would really love for a more advanced options while watching reaplays, option to toglle minimap view, so you can see what each player is doing, and what they have discovered, apm count, and a option to lock the player view and commands so you can see exactly what he sees and what commands he issues.

All great ideas except for the APM count meter. This is one thing I really wish they do not include.

While I understand APM to a certain extent can be a measure of ones skill, it does not necessarily equate to that and I feel would only encourage players to spam keys unnecessarily to increase this number. Then we'll end up watching games like this one which are seizure inducing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzOyxkt8lHY

I could care less what a player's APM is, not do I care about my own. I'm more interested in knowing if a player can keep his wits and respond appropriately to a threat. Seeing a player rapid-fire keys is not fascinating or impressive.

No need to turn this thread into a debate over the validity of APM, but I just felt the need to express a disinterest in seeing this number outputted.

Perfecttear
05-12-2009, 08:33 AM
Ok this is not necesary related to batlenet 2, but i would like to have an option to increase or decrease the size of the minimap window , and a option on how much map is shown on the minimap .
And i really like you Minimized UI option.

TheEconomist
05-12-2009, 09:33 AM
I agree with everything in the OP and strongly think they should all be implemented.

Nice post, TC!

-- I also agree with you about APM :D

Dauntless
05-12-2009, 11:00 AM
Really nice list there, Blazur. Those all sounds like good features.

I'd especially like to see extensive replay function, and even stream functions, though that's less likely.

Edfishy
05-12-2009, 11:27 AM
Here's some off the top of my head. Numbered, after Blazur's first 10 suggested features.

#11. Option To Autosave Replays:
This would need to be separated for Melee and UMS games, but in general since replays (for most all games) take up very little hard drive space, this option would be handy for those of us who keep forgetting to save the replay after a match. An option to adjust the way the replay is named would be handy also.

#12. Mark Maps As Favorites:
Eliminate tedious searching for repeatedly played maps. Have a "folder" called Favorites that would automatically show all the maps you've marked as a favorite.

#13. Playlist:
Sometimes, I'd just like to play a random map, or let the players vote on which map we should play on. A playlist of some sort would allow that.

Because of the time it'd take to have everyone download a group of maps, in its basic form this feature should probably be limited to Blizzard maps (which are pre-installed).

I'm going to suggest this to Relic as well when they get to work on Company of Heroes 2. I find it a common grievance in all RTS games.

#14. Custom AI's:
WarCraft 3 had a very nifty AI editor, but you had to play a UMS in order to fight against them. By allowing Custom AI's to be used in Melee games, you'd open up a community of AI scriptors who could build a dizzying array of different AI's for players to use.

To prevent abuse, (I.e. brain-dead AI's allowing for easy wins), your AI would have to be tested against Blizzard's Easy, Medium, Hard, and Insane AI's for it to count as a win/loss on Battle.net. After successfully qualifying your AI, it will receive a proper title prefix based on how it measured up.

To make the AI qualifying process easier, having a simple, "Qualify AI" button inside the AI editor that runs the game internally at X10 speed and displays the current progress as its running would be handy.

In a Melee game, the drop-down for the computer players would have two additional choices for the computer slots. "Computer: Custom", and "Computer Custom: [Last Chosen]". Clicking on "Computer: Custom" would bring up a window list of AI's, with room for descriptions (and possibly a small graphic from the creator). Each AI would have a checkbox next to it allowing you to select multiple AI's for a random selection when the game starts. "Computer Custom: [Last Chosen]" just makes repeating the same AI easier.

#15. View Replay After A Match:
After a brilliant match with a friend, it'd be nice to easily have the both of you go over the replay without having to go out the main lobby and have to re-host a new session. Instead, at the end of the match (when all players have won / lost), have a button that says, "View Replay[Waiting on 4 Players]". After all the players in the session have clicked on it, it'll end the current map's session, and load the replay, having everyone join instantaneously. So its seamless and easy, you know?

#16. Check For Updates On A Map
In the map selection screen, there should be a button to check to see if the author has made any updates to the map. (Would likely require Blizzard server hosting, we'll see if that's going to be available in B.net 2.0)

Blazur
05-12-2009, 11:32 AM
[COLOR="PaleGreen"]
View Replay After A Match:
After a brilliant match with a friend, it'd be nice to easily have the both of you go over the replay without having to go out the main lobby and have to re-host a new session. Instead, at the end of the match (when all players have won / lost), have a button that says, "View Replay[Waiting on 4 Players]". After all the players in the session have clicked on it, it'll end the current map's session, and load the replay, having everyone join instantaneously. So its seamless and easy, you know?

Heck yeah! That reminds me of something I suggested a long time back...a post-game lobby. Here all players can optionally re-watch the replay, discuss the game they just played, or participate in a new game should they choose.

Edfishy
05-12-2009, 11:37 AM
Yeah, that'd be an even better idea Blazur. An in-game lobby after a session would be fricken' brilliant, especially with the ability to optionally just start a new game, or re-host the game on Battle.net to recruit some new players.

Having a larger mini-map that would act like a mini replay (showing only unit/structure "snapshots" every X seconds) that could be fast-forwarded and rewound by the players, AND drawn-on would be icing on the cake. :)

Medzo
05-12-2009, 12:16 PM
I agree about how APM isnt exactly a measure of ones skill. However it is an important measure of skill if you think you're improving and you compare your own APM to what it was a couple of months before. Either way it will be in replays (already shown in BRs).

What I hope is on battle.net 2 is a way for leagues to be a part of Battle Net (both PRO leagues and Amatuer leagues). Also I hope you can host games with the LAN host technology that everyone eventually went to anyway. Finally I would like to be able to watch replays along side other players (IE host a replay game), you could not do this in wc3.

Edfishy
05-12-2009, 12:25 PM
#17. Switch Sides:
Like in Chess, you can switch the army you're playing as with another player. This would allow for advanced training sessions, or just to present yourself with a challenge after you've murdered your friend's expansions.

All players have to agree to an army switch, and to prevent players from annoyingly clicking on the feature, it'd have to be enabled by the Host when the game was hosted.

An option to "Co-op" with a player (i.e. Team Melee) or converting a player into an NPC could be an option as well.

http://www.zanmgt.com/aaron/bnet2_17_1.jpg

#18. Advanced Start:
Allows you to start the game with a specified amount of structures & units already prebuilt, essentially allowing players to jump to the early, mid, or late game.

There's two ways players can play an Advanced Start: X10 or AI.

In AI, you choose an AI (discussed in #14 above) to represent your build order, and the host chooses how many minutes into the game to start. Based on the settings inside the AI (AI script editor says when to build what) and how much time the host specified, the game will automatically start the players out with a pre-built base and units.

In X10 the host just specifies a time limit, the amount of minerals to start out with, and an amount of "game moves". The game then starts like normal, with one HQ and 6(?) Miners, but unit movement and build times are nearly instantaneous. There's a bar at the top of the screen that determines how many "game moves" you have left, and a timer below that displaying how much time there is left before the game starts. Whenever there's a game action (move, build, train), it counts as a set amount of "movement", and the "game moves" meter will go down. Units cannot attack while in this setup phase but they can be ordered to move and use non-lethal abilities (such as loading into a transport).

After the "game moves" meter has been exausted, you're unable to give any further commands to your forces. Players then wait for the game timer to expire and the game begins!

http://www.zanmgt.com/aaron/bnet2_18_1.jpg

The host can optionally disable the abillity to build warriors, technological upgrades, offensive structures, or expansion structures.

To prevent players from building defensive structure or a large army outside another player's base, the host can enable a (sizable) "no rush" ring that prevents players from going too far from their base.

Games like Civilizations 4 have employed similiar versions of these features, to much satisfaction of the players.

Medzo
05-12-2009, 12:28 PM
we'll end up watching games like this one which are seizure inducing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzOyxkt8lHY

Just funny to me that you linked a game of Moon, the fifth race, aka one of the most entertaining players to watch who has ridiculous micro and strategies.

Blazur
05-12-2009, 12:35 PM
Just funny to me that you linked a game of Moon, the fifth race, aka one of the most entertaining players to watch who has ridiculous micro and strategies.

I fully know who was playing and what he's capable of, but still cannot stand watching his replays because they're so schizophrenic. His units will still move to any position regardless of if he clicked once instead of 10 times. And rapid-firing keyboard shortcuts to cycle between each Nexus within a span of seconds does not lead to a pleasant viewing experience. Seeing this replay makes it abundantly clear that he's spamming keys to artificially increase his APM or keep his reaction time up. Either way its painful to watch.

I guarantee you Boxer is just as effective, if not more effective, while taking a more calm and cool approach to playing involving clever strategies and precision clicking. There's no need to spam keys in a haphazard fashion to succeed, and displaying an APM meter will only encourage that.

Medzo
05-12-2009, 12:49 PM
Most pro gamers spam their keys like that. It is "warming up" to them. Here is boxer doing the same thing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NG6PSRsjMYQ

Nicol Bolas
05-12-2009, 12:50 PM
There's no need to spam keys in a haphazard fashion to succeed, and displaying an APM meter will only encourage that.

What does it matter what exactly the players are doing? Is it hurting the game for them to be spamming keys (and that's mostly exercising to keep their fingers prepped for the time when they will need that APM)? It's not like the replays will visualize their screen movements. You may not be able to watch them play live very effectively, but why should you be able to do that? That's why they have observers at those events.

Zabimaru
05-12-2009, 12:57 PM
Now, now, lets not turn this into a heated APM argument. Lets just say, like many things in life, it’s got its good sides and its bad sides. :p Now back to the bnet wish list. It’ll proberly be in it, but a map preview before you even enter the game room would be nice. :)

Blazur
05-12-2009, 12:59 PM
What does it matter what exactly the players are doing? Is it hurting the game for them to be spamming keys (and that's mostly exercising to keep their fingers prepped for the time when they will need that APM)? It's not like the replays will visualize their screen movements. You may not be able to watch them play live very effectively, but why should you be able to do that? That's why they have observers at those events.

It would appear that replays show which units each player has selected. So all that rapid-fire clicking will translate to any replays.

http://sc2pod.com/img/gallery/765.jpg

An APM meter will only encourage players to spam commands to increase this superfluous number thinking it'll impress people. Players will brag about how good their APM is when in reality they might suck at the game. Meanwhile it'll confuse those ignorant about the number and what it represents.

I don't know about you guys but I certainly don't want somebody saying to me after a match "How could you win, my APM was better than yours!". Or "So what if you mined more minerals or killed more units, look how awesome my APM was!". It's stupid and irrelevant.

sandwich_bird
05-12-2009, 12:59 PM
Since a lot of starcraft fanatics are map makers or ums players it would be nice to keed related stats of this in the player profile. For example what ums did you make and which one did you play the most, etc.

Zabimaru
05-12-2009, 01:01 PM
"How could you win, my APM was better than yours!". Or "So what if you mined more minerals or killed more units, look how awesome my APM was!"

Well say, “Screw you, I’ve won. That’s what counts so ha!!” :)

Praetor_Ixab
05-12-2009, 01:26 PM
Post-game lobby and Favorite maps list, FTW.

Grrblt
05-12-2009, 01:28 PM
Removal of Hide Terrain button: Do we really need this button on the UI? It was never used, and only caused problems when the wrong hotkey was pressed by mistake shutting it off. Plus it takes up space.
This was a fantastic for us color blind. It happened frequently that I couldn't tell where enemy units were because they were too similar to the map colors. They shouldn't remove this button unless they've made for damn certain that it will never be needed.

Blazur
05-12-2009, 01:31 PM
Well say, “Screw you, I’ve won. That’s what counts so ha!!” :)

Yeah, you're right. For some reason I get very heated when the topic of APM comes up and feel compelled to rant about it. Which is why I didn't want to turn this productive discussion into an argument about the validity of APM. It just seems like such a misguided measure of one's skill, and I'd rather see Blizz concentrate on other components of a replay which will offer more value and encouragement for players to better themselves.

Nicol Bolas
05-12-2009, 01:31 PM
I certainly don't want somebody saying to me after a match "How could you win, my APM was better than yours!"

Seriously, that's what you're concerned about? You won! All that is is the bitching and moaning from an adolescent. The braying of an ass is best ignored.

Edfishy
05-12-2009, 01:33 PM
This was a fantastic for us color blind. It happened frequently that I couldn't tell where enemy units were because they were too similar to the map colors. They shouldn't remove this button unless they've made for damn certain that it will never be needed.

A "Color-blind" option should be made available in the game settings, which would dim the saturation and brightness of the terrain in the mini-map so units don't get lost in the colors. The color-blind option could then also make sure that things like team colors are representative in more clear black/white contrasts, as well as properly contrast the colors of multiple players so they can be recognized from one another.

pure.Wasted
05-12-2009, 01:54 PM
#14. Custom AI's:
WarCraft 3 had a very nifty AI editor, but you had to play a UMS in order to fight against them. By allowing Custom AI's to be used in Melee games, you'd open up a community of AI scriptors who could build a dizzying array of different AI's for players to use.

To prevent abuse, (I.e. brain-dead AI's allowing for easy wins), your AI would have to be tested against Blizzard's Easy, Medium, Hard, and Insane AI's for it to count as a win/loss on Battle.net. After successfully qualifying your AI, it will receive a proper title prefix based on how it measured up.

To make the AI qualifying process easier, having a simple, "Qualify AI" button inside the AI editor that runs the game internally at X10 speed and displays the current progress as its running would be handy.

In a Melee game, the drop-down for the computer players would have two additional choices for the computer slots. "Computer: Custom", and "Computer Custom: [Last Chosen]". Clicking on "Computer: Custom" would bring up a window list of AI's, with room for descriptions (and possibly a small graphic from the creator). Each AI would have a checkbox next to it allowing you to select multiple AI's for a random selection when the game starts. "Computer Custom: [Last Chosen]" just makes repeating the same AI easier.

Given that Melee games will not contribute to your over-all statistics following in WC3's footsteps, I see no inherent difference between UMS games and Melee. You can make a Melee game, add in Computer AIs, and while the classification might change the players will still know exactly what the map has to offer.

Edfishy
05-12-2009, 03:04 PM
Given that Melee games will not contribute to your over-all statistics following in WC3's footsteps, I see no inherent difference between UMS games and Melee. You can make a Melee game, add in Computer AIs, and while the classification might change the players will still know exactly what the map has to offer.

Good point with the WC3-style point system, but that would mean you'd have only a select few AI's available for that one map. So if I wanted to play (4)Blood Bath with a some custom AI's, I'd have to copy all the AI scripts over and properly set them up inside the map, and then save it as (4)Blood Bath_AI or something.

Overall this process is tedious and cumbersome (I've done this with WC3), and limits the outreach that AI scriptors would potentially have.

The idea here is to make it extremely easy to collect and play a large assortment of AI's so you can have a much more varied experience, and create a community around building unbeatable or unique AI's to fight against.

Now, a "Custom AI Melee" game setting could also be made if it is necessary to keep Melee separate.

Zalamander
05-12-2009, 03:33 PM
loo!

Im one of the creators of Advanced Melee AI(AI mod for Warcraft 3)
http://www.hornes.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/AMAI/

We plan on continueing our AI project into Starcraft 2 with the goal of making the most awesome unpredicteable human like AI to play aginst or with and can tell you a bit about how it was in warcraft 3.

There was never really any problem for implementing the AI into game for users in War3 you could do it in several ways, inject it into map files as you already said or launch the game in some mod mode so it just replaced the original AI on whatever map you played. Sure I guess it would be even better if the custom AI was just added as an aditional AI option when inside the game and I think Blizzard have ythought of things like that too, or I hope at least.

However the main issues with trying this in War3 was the huge amount of bugs and hardcoded limitations in the AI system. In this area we hope that Starcraft 2 will have improved a lot. We even had to recreate many hardcoded functions of war3 AI in own script form becuse they were bugged in original AI and was never fixed(inefficient workarounds).

Did you for example know that even today Blizzard have still not fixed the bug in the original Orc AI script for TFT, it cant build berserkers(upgraded head hunter) becuse of a misspell in the AI script. My worries are that AI for Starcraft 2 will be a pretty sad story if Blizzard care as little for it as they have done with Warcraft 3 AI.

I just cant wait to set my teeth in the first Starcraft 2 AI scripts I can get hands on. :)

Edfishy
05-12-2009, 03:42 PM
Considering that StarCraft 2's AI has to actually scout for enemy bases, I'm imagining its powerful... but I don't know how customizable they'll have it.

I didn't know about those issues with WC3 though, I find those kinds of development tidbits fascinating!

Tell me though, if users could build and download AI's like they build and download maps, wouldn't that be a blessing to StarCraft, and RTS games in general?

Zalamander
05-12-2009, 03:51 PM
Considering that StarCraft 2's AI has to actually scout for enemy bases, I'm imagining its powerful... but I don't know how customizable they'll have it.

I didn't know about those issues with WC3 though, I find those kinds of development tidbits fascinating!

Tell me though, if users could build and download AI's like they build and download maps, wouldn't that be a blessing to StarCraft, and RTS games in general?

It all depends on how they make the system, if you compare with War3 it have a AI editor where you can create and save "AI" and send to others for download or whatever. But our project AMAI goes way byond that point in customization and dont fit in that system at all since its a complete rewrite of the game AI almost from the core.

I dont think they will be able to create a system that will allow for easy implementation of very customized AI like that if they wanna keep it on a userfriendly base like they tried with warcraft3.
And if they wanna keep it that simple for the mediocre user they probably just implement something simple as an editor for build orders like with War3 since byond that points its almost pure programming and I dont think they want you to be in need of that competence to make simple modifications to AIs.
But ofc I think they also leave the scripts as open as possible for thoes like us that wants to do advanced custom AIs.

I just hope they will be even more open than War3 was so that we can actualy reach our goal this time.

Edfishy
05-12-2009, 04:03 PM
If you also consider that StarCraft 2's editor will allow you to code in their new more advanced C-like language for the game's triggers and events, I'd just imagine that the same (or similar) coding language would be used for the AI editor, allowing for comparable increases in control and behavior were you to build your AI through that route.

But I see what you mean though, that the stock "build order" system ala WC3 might limit and choke the flexibility in custom AI.

Perhaps someone (SCLegacy perhaps?) should submit some sort of question about the customization and sophistication of their AI Editor, eh?

Zalamander
05-12-2009, 04:09 PM
If you also consider that StarCraft 2's editor will allow you to code in their new more advanced C-like language for the game's triggers and events, I'd just imagine that the same (or similar) coding language would be used for the AI editor, allowing for comparable increases in control and behavior were you to build your AI through that route.

But I see what you mean though, that the stock "build order" system ala WC3 might limit and choke the flexibility in custom AI.

Perhaps someone (SCLegacy perhaps?) should submit some sort of question about the customization and sophistication of their AI Editor, eh?

What I mean is, you probably only gonna be able to create a custom race/strategy AI for a specific race/branch script in the AI and save it.

It wont have any options to let you create a custom core AI file that controls all the behavior of the AI like micromanagement and such.

Concerning the said scouting of bases AI will make Im also a bit interested if its gonna be a technical "real" scouting or just some feature making it look like its behaving human but actualy knows the positiion of everything afterall anyway(Like is pretty much expected of an RTS AI, you cant compare it to a human player looking at a screen).
If it would actualy be functioning more like a human and not knowing where and what the opponents are up to, making the AI challenging will be "EXTREMLY", let me repeat extreeeemly hard(impossible), so I don't beliave there will be any real scouting behavior involved actualy.

Edfishy
05-12-2009, 04:32 PM
I've never actually seen what's required to re-work the micromanagement-side of an AI, but from working on Project Revolution I do know how complex it was to create custom abilities. Now in StarCraft 2 you can now actually code abilities using that prior-mentioned C coding language, allowing you to more-or-less create any ability you can think of (harder than it sounds in WC3).

Would it be too optimistic to assume the same depth has been introduced to AI editor in StarCraft 2 as well?

Just like the map editor, there would likely be two sides to the AI editor. A simple build order ala WC3 (which is actually really what most people would need), and an in-depth custom script system, allowing you to code more specifics into your AI.

This would assume of course that they've built their AI from the beginning under this kind of a system, but if they were going to build their Campaign Editor with such engineering feats, why not the AI Editor as well? The two go hand-in hand if you ask me.

Either way, we'll find out as the Beta approaches. :)

As for the scouting being fake, you're very (very) likely right, but fake scouting still suggests a more sophisticated AI, I'd think.

Zalamander
05-12-2009, 05:07 PM
The main dream feature I hope for in Starcraft 2 is triggers in AI.

This would enable us to create a real custom insanely good micromanagement AI. This was not possible in warcraft 3 and was one of the main obstacles that made us give up on AMAI, unable to reach the goal. The only sustitute we had was that we could create very fast loops of script that checked the contdition of the fight every second or so and issue micro orders to the AI on that frequency, eating a lot of CPU power.
But there was a limit to only one order of each kind every second and just that, only every second, is not fast enough to make a real efficient micromanagement that can compete with a human player.

After seeing a trigger based custom micromanagement AI made for Starcraft 1 you realize what you really need.

seakebab
05-13-2009, 04:12 AM
I just hope they include everything WC3's Battle.Net has :p

Kerriganz
05-13-2009, 05:28 AM
I want a WAY better friend list system. Something like WoW does, and maybe even guilds but instead are called factions or whatever, go with something Starcraftish.

LXM
05-13-2009, 07:42 AM
Fact remains that APM is an indicator of one’s skill. Some one with < 100 APM is never going to be a good player, and I have yet to see you any valid arguments as to why it should not be displayed. Just because you don’t like something doesn’t mean it shouldn’t be there. A lot of people in WarCraft 3 use a 3rd party program to monitor APM so obviously people want to see it, so why not just have a tab with additional info where you can see the APM of players?

Zalamander
05-13-2009, 08:05 AM
Compared to Starcraft 1 there is a lot of automation added for different tasks and skilsl in Starcraft II so APM will not me such a strong skill indicator any more.

And APM can still never tell anything about how smart a player is when it comes to strategical choices and building right units to counter right situations etc so the answere is simple. "No" APM is no clear indication of skill, just activity.
But discussing this is pretty pointless since there probably will be APM counting anyway so well, everyone happy.

What will make me happy tho is when low APM players start beating high APM players, I beliave in that.

MaybeNextTime
05-13-2009, 08:34 AM
* WaaaghTV/HLTV-like sort of game broadcasting feature (with the ability to have YouTube/WeGame/Afreeca-like VOD (shoutcasting, locked view, telestrator)/replay (possible shoutcasting)/map uploading and game streaming profiles (one per CD key, I guess)
* mappool refreshed/changed every 4-6 months, including progaming maps and some "foreign" "gems" (like Faoi or Yellow in BW)
* LAN latency or close to it
* ladder/automatch for the most popular UMS maps/games/mods (or however you want to call them:P), such as DotA
* automatch for sparing games - based on your ladder level but do not influence it themselves, allow you to pick the map/race you want to play against
* better firends list/communication tools - tabs for different conversations, invite to games, ignore, accept/reject, private channels (with password or something)
* voice chat in AT games
* expanded clan system (in-clan ladder, inside tournaments, private channels with optional password)
* replays online like in BW
* more specific profile stats
* rematch option after ladder games

Zabimaru
05-13-2009, 11:27 AM
* LAN latency or close to it

It was a long long time ago, but I remember reading that there might not be LAN latency... though I could be wrong or they’ve changed that by now.

Otherwise, good list. :)

Pick
05-13-2009, 11:32 AM
Discussing the long list of Battle.Net features we would like to see makes me think about the money issue. Will the the uber Battle.Net we all want with hosted replays, tournaments, guilds, voice chat, LAN latency be included with no monthly fee?

If they are going to combine all the best things from Iccup, Vent, Guild Forums, and YouTube commentaries into one kickass Battle.Net... it isn't going to be free.

I am not complaining though, been paying for WoW for years and Blizzard always gives me a very cost-efficient hobby even with a monthly fee.

LXM
05-13-2009, 11:34 AM
* voice chat in AT games

Doubt it. They tried that with WoW and failed. There's just way better dedicated programs like Ventrilo and TeamSpeak for that.

Zalamander
05-13-2009, 11:54 AM
If Battle.net™ going to come with a fee I see a nice time for AI mods ahead of me. :)

LXM
05-13-2009, 12:01 PM
Didn't they already announce some sort of payment for more options? I recall reading something about it.

Edfishy
05-13-2009, 12:02 PM
They'd be taking a risk keeping it free, but word-of-mouth sales might possibly be worth it. StarCraft II would have an un-paralleled multiplayer experience.

Zabimaru
05-13-2009, 12:34 PM
Didn't they already announce some sort of payment for more options? I recall reading something about it.

They did say they were considering it.