PDA

View Full Version : ling rush counter?

LoTuS
08-10-2009, 01:21 PM
Lets say on a map like python, You're T at 12 and Z is at 3. Well The opponent went random so you dont know race, you move into some T econ build, but then you scout and scout 6 lings midway to base. Is it a good tactic to lift the rax, hover it,over ramp, leave scvs under rax so they're covered, and have a rine stay in back? So the lings cant attack the rine and they cant attack the scvs.
(sorry, im noob at builds)

Pandonetho
08-10-2009, 03:01 PM
Why not just wall off at the start?

Build your barracks directly beside the ramp since you're at 12, and then 2 supply depots directly above it. It's a ling proof wall.

There's no point lifting your barracks, you won't be able to produce marines.

Hammy
08-10-2009, 04:36 PM
You could hover your rax with SCVs under it, but that would take time, and you might be caught by surprise (especially if he's random on a 4 player map). To be honest I would suggest just using SCVs on the ramp if you already have a marine out (more than just two SCVs... take a couple). If he's 5pooling you, you have to worry about your own survival a lot more than about mining time. If you obliterate his rush (which you should be able to do, considering how badass SCVs are), you'll have an enormous lead.

Walling in, as SandwichBird suggested is also a great solution though. I guess the main reason good players don't wall-in all the time is that they're going for a build where they won't feel threatened at the beginning, and they don't want to waste mining time. However, I really think that's something only top players should worry about. I always wall-in because a minor breach in a Terran's base can cause a huge mess, and I can't really see a downside to walling, besides the loss of about 5 seconds of mining time from and SCV.
On the other hand, not only are you better protected from a sneak attack, but you also keep your opponent in the dark. A wall-in can lead to pretty much any build, whereas an open-base tech will narrow it down for the enemy.
I'm just rambling now though... Your answer was already answered above this post^^

sandwich_bird
08-10-2009, 04:57 PM
yeah if you're noob and the opponent went random, always wall-in. If you're on a map that you can't wall-in then learn proper building placement as shown here (http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=42920)

Btw I made a nice help thread that you can post these kinds of questions in :D