PDA

View Full Version : Avatars for art lovers

Perfecttear
08-03-2009, 03:59 PM
I would like to suggest and increase in avatar size. But before you say anything i would like to explain, that the increase would only be downside and not horizontal, there it would still be 125, so it wouldn't break the design of the site.:D
Currently there is alot of room there, and it feels realy dull, and i know you are trying to ad something there, but there still huge room left. You could increase the size from 125x125 to 125x175 or 125x200 or 125x225 or even 125x225 or whatever floots your mind ;). If you would left the upload filesize limit the same, there would be no changes to the flow and speed of the size or anything that would slow it down, so this really wouldn't affect people that don't give much on avatars. But there are many people here on SCL, that are fans of lore and art, and i think they would apreciate that very much, your fansite is in fact known for its graphic projects and art and lore discussions on other fansites. And that is one of the main reasons why i'm here, if i wanted to talk pure gameplay and talk to to uptite people i would join TL.net, but i joined SCL since it's a very artistic site with many very skilled members:).So i think an increase in size, would really be loved by the community, to show they art and prefferences, and it would be another plus for SCL in comparison to other sites:)
So give some love to the community;)

Here is an rough example:
http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/6069/legacy.jpg

Gradius
08-03-2009, 04:32 PM
Not a bad idea - considering that the new style of StarCraft II portraits will be like that as well.

DemolitionSquid
08-03-2009, 05:19 PM
I'd like to add that putting any picture should cover up the default logo. For example, my current avatar is too small to cover up the logo and it just looks silly with the overlap.

Gradius
08-03-2009, 05:38 PM
I'd like to add that putting any picture should cover up the default logo. For example, my current avatar is too small to cover up the logo and it just looks silly with the overlap.
That's because none of you clowns know how to add black borders to your images. :P

DemolitionSquid
08-03-2009, 05:49 PM
That's because none of you clowns know how to add black borders to your images. :P

My gif is from a viral website for a movie, I didn't make it. If I screw around with it the filesize may increase to the point I can't use it at all.

Perfecttear
08-04-2009, 07:24 AM
I'm glad you like the idea Gradius :D, but if you implement this you should delete the current border that is there, since it wouldn't look good on the new sizes, unleas it would auto adjust:)

Hammy
08-04-2009, 09:24 AM
Oh noes! My hemoglobins wouldn't fill out the whole space!
It's a good idea, and might encourage people to use portraits, rather than random images ;).

spychi
08-04-2009, 09:36 AM
No, sorry I don't like that idea, my Qbert-siege tank would look silly

n00bonicPlague
08-04-2009, 09:38 AM
Oh noes! My hemoglobins wouldn't fill out the whole space!YOU MUST CONSTRUCT ADDITIONAL HEMOGLOBINS

It's a good idea, and might encourage people to use portraits, rather than random images ;).I happen to like my random image TYVM :P

Perfecttear
08-04-2009, 02:47 PM
Lol :p, it's not like you would be forced to use the new increasized size image, if you want you could still use the same size one, just the max would be that size but your image can be anything in between ;)

LordofAscension
08-04-2009, 06:09 PM
No, sorry I don't like that idea, my Qbert-siege tank would look silly

No offense... but it already does.

~LoA

AJ
08-04-2009, 07:06 PM
It's worth considering.

However, I think for uniformity of design we'd have to settle for increasing the dimensions universally, allowing user selection of avatar size is a derivative of being able to upload an avatar, of your choice, in any size that fits within the bounds. The "avatar box" has become a standard as it allows for an avatar to be dressed up when present and again adds that uniformity to users who chose not to have an avatar.

dynamiK-
08-05-2009, 12:15 AM
My green alien dude won't stretch vertically very well...

Perfecttear
08-05-2009, 05:21 AM
I don't know why people are complaining, there is no need to stretch your images, it's just an option. If you have an great 100x100 size avatar you can still use that, the only thing this would change is to allow people to use avatars with a longer length. You can always use an smaller size one if you don't like it bigger ;)

I have a great 125x200 avatar waiting, so if you decide to implement that, make it atleast that size :p

dynamiK-
08-05-2009, 02:13 PM
^ Haha yeah, I mean for mine to be sarcastic :P

Perfecttear
08-05-2009, 02:43 PM
Oh i see :p, you might wana use the sarcastic smiley next time " :rolleyes: " ;)
Anyways i love that song:D

Perfecttear
09-07-2009, 08:40 AM
I didn't want to double post, but i'm wondering if there is anything new on the size of the avatars, or what the decision were ,what are the priorities? ( you could atleast change it to 125x175) so people can use the new sc2 portraits) :)

PhanttoM
09-07-2009, 02:00 PM
My gif is from a viral website for a movie, I didn't make it. If I screw around with it the filesize may increase to the point I can't use it at all.

Single colored blank spaces in .gif files takes up very little space.
For example a completely black 2048x2048 .gif image is 3,80 KB, and the forum allows up to 58,6 KB.
Your current one is 6.3 KB - the one I fixed is 6.77 KB.

Here, use this one. :)
http://www.philipmott.dk/images/mix/mnulies_icon2.gif

I voted 125x200, but in hindsight I think any changes to the avatar size is overkill on a forum that also allows images in signatures. I understand the practicality of portrait format though.
I dunno, maybe it's just because I'm used to a forum that only allows 135x135 avatars, a maximum of 3 signature lines and no signature images. :p

LordofAscension
09-07-2009, 04:28 PM
Thanks for your idea guys but basically the way vb is hardcoded means that we have to have the same size avatar for everyone. And since everyone wouldn't or couldn't make use of the large size it's unlikely we'll implement this anytime soon.

Sorry :(

~LoA

Perfecttear
09-07-2009, 04:55 PM
Thanks for your anwer, i apreciate it, but it doesn't make sense, you would just inrease the max size of the avatars, and alredy almost everybody has different size avatars, so how would this be any different (in posing a problem),or are there other things that i cannot understand?

Edit: you should really consider an option that would allow you to disable the green frame around the avatar, for the people that don't have 125x125(square) avatars( or have smaller ones) it looks really out of place and ugly.

Alzarath
09-08-2009, 01:08 AM

Screw borders, I improvised. xD